November 27, 2014 | 1363 users online

Crème - Revlon - ColorStay Whipped Creme Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wish there was a maybe option for repurchasing.

I decided to give this a whirl when the original revlon colorstay stopped working for me (crepey, settling into fine lines, enlarging pores, not good staying power).

I know for the liquid there was a reformulation. Not sure if that made it different, or my skin changed, or maybe it was never that great and my tastes in makeup are just more refined... Yo no se

Anywho-- I tried the whipped.

I am nc15, but a paler version of nc15 in the winter. BUFF in colorstay is the only foundation match I can seem to find in winter-- most others seem golden. Buff is more of a beige or gray undertone and suits my winter complexion pretty flawlessly.

This foundation is definitely a matte finish- that's by design so I can't consider it a flaw, but although this doesn't settle into lines as bad as the liquid- it still certainly does it to a degree. You NEED to moisturize with this and I also need a good silicone based primer to fill in my pores before applying.

After all that prep work-- this honestly just looks OK. It photographs really nicely. I have to give it that-- but IRL I don't feel all that spectacular.

The REAL downside to this product, and I know it's been touched on countless times-- the packaging.

It is SO bulky and inconvenient and so unhygienic to boot!!

The thick glass jar is definitely not travel friendly.

Moreover I've read several people saying their foundation grew mold.

Now-- I would ONLY use this as a winter foundation. I have a jar from this past winter that I used maybe in January and February. So it looks new and I know I won't touch it until November.

By that time it'll probably be a Petri dish. The $15 I spent on this foundation completely down the drain then.

Honestly why not put this in a tube???

Pros:
Perfect color match for winter skin (for me)
Doesn't sink into lines as badly as CS liquid
Leaves a more natural finish than CS liquid
Photographs nicely

Cons:
HATEFUL PACKAGING
Still a bit crepey and unnatural

Will I rebuy? I'd really love to find a winter foundation, but if I can't find on I guess this works in a pinch.

Definitely not in love...

I would happily gift this to an nc15 friend

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2014 9:55:00 AM More reviews by applecour

I had SUCH high hopes for this foundation. Upon inspection, it was difficult to tell which color match would be right for me because the big, clunky glass jar sort of distorts the color of the product inside. I originally thought Buff would be a perfect match for my NC15 skin, but I went with ivory because there was no Buff left.

First of all, this foundation is not anything like L'Oreal's whipped foundation, which I hoped it would be since I can't find L'Oreal's version anywhere anymore. It's just a thicker, more creamy version of the regular ColorStay, minus the amazing coverage of ColorStay.

This still was WAY pale on my skin, and what's worse is, it accentuated dry patches that I didn't even know I had! It didn't give even coverage at all. It settled in every pore on my face and caused it to look like I had little white dots all over my t-zone. I tried to add a second layer to make it work and set it with powder, but it just didn't work for me at all. I washed it off and it's now sitting in my purse with the receipt to be returned.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2014 5:48:00 AM More reviews by Amberburrows

This foundation gives medium to full coverage, and gives a natural finish (satin), need to use concealer to cover major blemishes, packaging is a bit bulky off the amount of product, great for combo/oily skin although does not control oils you may need to blot, thick consistency although blends easily into the skin best application method is warming the product with fingers before applying :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by laurenjill05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I exchanged my L'Oreal True Match Lumi foundation for this (the Lumi had no staying power and hardly any coverage). I heard great things about the ColorStay crème on youtube, etc. I have been wearing it for the last 3 days and I really like it. I apply it with my flat top Elf brush (most people recommend to use your fingers for this foundation but I can't bring myself to do that). Upon first application, I fell in love with the finish - this is exactly what I have been looking for - a foundation that leaves a slightly dewey finish yet has medium/full coverage and makes my skin look flawless yet natural. The coverage last all day, which is also a must because I don't like to reapply make up through out the day. I love the fact that it isn't a matte/flat finish yet has great staying power (that is hard to find). For reference, I have normal skin that gets a little shiny around the t-zone, and I have light/medium olive skin tone and got the Warm Golden shade. I think I finally found my HG foundation, after trying out so many after the last few months!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 9:56:00 PM More reviews by meganlovesyou97

I have oily skin so I thought this "creme makeup" would slide all over my face, but this stays put all day. Has great coverage and a nice texture and I'm just absolutely in love!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by SusieQ1970

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I looooove this product! The only reason I didn't give it 5's all around is because the coverage is good, but not really buildable to me. First off, let me say that I still love and use the original Colorstay Liquid but I am so glad I ignored the bad reviews and tried the cream version too! The colors seem to run a little lighter than the liquid and look darker in the jar so keep that in mind when you are trying to match your skin tone. The colors are quite forgiving though. I love the heavy glass jar, it feels elegant and expensive to me. What I like about this so much that differs from the liquid is that it goes on like a dream! I don't need a primer at all, I just rub it in with my fingers and it fills in all my large pores and my skin looks flawless, even more so than with the liquid. You have a lot of play time with this too because it does not set as quickly as the liquid. In fact, it seems that if I didn't powder, it would stay dewey. You will need a concealer for heavy coverage areas because it just doesn't seem to build up well. I have EXTREMELY oily skin and was hesitant when I first felt how creamy it was on my skin, but once I set it with powder, like Dermablend or Kryolan anti-shine, I find that somehow, my face stays more matte than with the original liquid formula. It doesn't make sense to me, but it's true. Everyone tells me that my skin is beautiful, especially for my age and I believe it's the illusion that this makeup creates. I didn't think I would ever love anything more than the original Colorstay but this may me my Holy Grail foundation. The only thing I have yet to determine, is if it will be as sweat proof as the liquid when the southern temperatures reach the 90's and above. Summer's on it's way so I will let you know :)
Update 5-21-14 : It was 90 today and the office air conditioner died. After 20 mins in a storage room, I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower. I patted the sweat off my face with a paper towel and my makeup literally looked just applied! God bless Revlon Colorstay. The whipped stays on just as well as the liquid!!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Jennirocketz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought it because everyone was raving about it and frankly I felt the need to buy it (lol).. Anyways the consistency in the jar is very vey thick, but once you smooth is on your face or on the back of your hand it feels whipped/mousey like (well as described hahaha). I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation, why? Well its thick but goes on smoothly but if you apply too much it get cakey also it dries really quick so its easier to apply it by areas. My fingers have worked very well as the applying tool but I prefer my sigma F80 (synthetic flat top kabuki brush). Now the summary:

Pros:
Covers well
Nice consistency
A little goes a very looooong way
Good value for the price and formulation
Nice jar luxurious looking packaging
Plastic protector inside
Does not dry up in jar
Perfect for combo/oily or oily to very oily skin types
Great for summer

Cons:

Smells odd, very plasticly and chemical. Its not overwhelming, its just not pleasant
You need to work fast or by areas as it tends to set up quickly
Has a weird sticky finish but not like glue it just doesn't seem to set
Color range is poor. Especially for those with warm/yellow undertones and dark skin tones.
No SPF (which can be good for pictures)
Tends to sink into pores

Overall:

I would buy it again if their where more colors to pick from!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by maye8384

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This foundation... I don't even know how to explain it! Normally I don't purchase drugstore foundations, my HG is Estee Lauder Double Wear, but I heard so many YouTube Gurus talking about this and I just had to try it out!

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme claims "Finally, truly decadent makeup offers ultimate performance. The mousse-like texture feels like silk on your skin. And, the time release formula balances skin for a flawless look. All day flexible wear without flaking, caking or feeling heavy."

And the description couldn't be more incorrect! The texture of this foundation is really interesting, it looks like a liquidy mousse, but is actuallly very thick. It kind of feels like putting spackle on your face. While you don't need a lot to cover, it looks cakey immediately on contact with your face. It really accentuates ANY dry patches you might have, I personally have combination skin, and don't have dry patches, but this makes me look like I do! (This happened with NARS Sheer Glow as well) It accentuates every pore, with or without a primer underneath. Also, it transfers like crazy. Just barely touching something, your face will rub off...

As some reviewers mentioned previously, the color is so strange. There isn't a great color selection to begin with, but I chose Buff because Ivory looked incredibly pink! I have neutral/warm undertones (NC15 or 1N1) and prefer a foundation that is more yellow-based. Colorstay whipped seems to be so neutral there isn't an undertone, or almost a grey undertone. Whatever it is, it makes my face look so sallow that until I use a bronzer, I resemble a corpse! Something else which was strange is that it's really difficult to apply product over this foundation (like contour or blush), it seems to be sticky, and your blush just gets absorbed into the foundation on your face. I've tried this with primer, powder, no primer, no powder, and I just can't get it to work for me.

The packaging is horrible, it's a big clunky glass jar with a plastic insert inside. When you first open it and remove the plastic insert the jar looks pretty much empty! There's lots on the insert, but it's really a nuisance to try and remove that every time, and hold it to use the product from the top (especially if you have long fingernails like me). The top didn't break for me, but I am very careful with my makeup, and didn't keep it long enough to have it break.

The ONLY good thing about this foundation is the oil-controlling capabilities it has. It's not amazing, but it will keep me matte for about 4 hours. However, that's not going to work if your face looks like it's flaking off all over the place. I would never reccommend this to anyone, and I was able to return it (thankfully).

EDIT: I haven't changed my rating of this product, but I just wanted to add that this foundation broke me out on my cheeks really bad, which never happens to me. Also, it transfers on clothes like crazy!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Crackleball

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This clings to dry patches like no other! Even when I exfoliate, hydrate, and moisturize my skin to heck and back and cannot see any dryness in a magnifying mirror, all I have to do is try to apply this stuff and BAM instant flakie mess. It's so strange!

I've tried every single way to apply it as well, because it was a pretty pricey purchase, but it's still a mess for me. Too bad I bought it on vacation or I'd absolutely take it back!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2014 12:59:00 AM More reviews by bhartman95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have pretty dry skin and like creme foundations because they tend to be a bit more moisturizing for me. I had been using Covergirl with Olay creme foundation and liked it but didn't love it, so I decided to try this one. It is worse for my skin than the Covergirl one and for $15 I thought it would be a bit nicer. It might work with other skin tines but with my dry skin it settles into my pores, around dead skin, and makes my skin look dryer and less healthy than it actually is. Will not be buying this again.