July 31, 2014 | 2055 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by aka235

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Avoid! Colorsilk must have been reformulated--this is schlock.

For a few months, Colorsilk worked nicely--decent staying power and a lovely color. On the last 3 tries, though, staying power has gone south.

On my last go-around, I thought maybe my hair had been too greasy before, so I shampooed my hair and didn't use any conditioner or styling products 24 hours before coloring. This left my hair the consistency of straw. You'd think if you dyed straw, and left it on for an hour for good measure, that straw would be irrevocably and permanently dyed. But no. Looked great for 24 hours until I shampooed. The dye washed off almost immediately, running down my face in muddy brown rivulets that mixed with my tears of anguish and despair. Also running down the drain: my money. No more, Colorsilk!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by aardvarkz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this as a cheaper alternative to Natural Instincts since they reformulated. However, I'm giving up on this dye. I've been using it since around August. I have naturally light ash brown hair that I've been coloring dark brown for around 6 years. Revlon Colorsilk (if it even makes a noticeable difference in my hair) washes out completely in the first week. I've used Dark Brown, Dark Auburn, Dark Brown mixed with Dark Auburn, Dark Reddish Brown (or something like that), and Dark Mahogany Brown. ALL of which faded to the same exact brassy light red brown within the first week, which is the exact opposite problem I had with Natural Instincts. I could not get that color OUT of my hair to save my life. I always had the most intense root line ever. ANYWAY I kept hoping that the color would stay since this is so freaking affordable. My hair's condition has also gotten worse since using this stuff - way more tangles and damage despite the fact that I never use heat on it; this dye is the only remotely damaging thing I use on my hair. Overall, it's an okay dye if you're in a pinch/want a subtle change/super broke/etc, but if you have other options I say forgo this.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by tourmalinequeen

Wait! hold the presses! Whats all the hoopla about this cheap , crappy brand of haircolor? Have the reviewers never tried anything else? I tried this years ago and then tried it again last week after reading all the raving reviews. Maybe I should have said reviews from raving lunatics! This remains one of the worst hair coloring brands in existence. Lends credence to "you get what you pay for". Same as it did years ago, it starts washing out on the second shampoo and if you are a daily shampooer like myself, by the end of week one, you will need to recolor your hair. Can't be good for your hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 8:38:00 AM More reviews by ktyska

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

COLOR: # 43 Medium Golden Brown. I've used this brand of color since 2009, for root touch up every 5-6 weeks and sometimes full all over color every 6 months. This mixes and applys very smooth, not much dripping, I use a bowl and brush to apply, leave on between 20-25 minutes.
My hair grows in very light grey, almost white and this covers the grey always. I did have some "hot roots" but that was fixed using Neutral Protein Filler prior to coloring. ***I blame the "hot roots" on my hair only, not the product, it grows in so light!!!***
I apply 1/2 of the excellent conditioner to my hair after wash out. I so wish Revlon would sell the conditioner alone. My hair is silky and so soft!!! No frizz, no greasy feeling, light as air!!! I use the other 1/2 of the conditioner around a week later as a deep conditioner w/a plastic shower cap.
The color this leaves on my hair is very natural and not flat---close to my natural color, but better NO GREY. Sometimes, Walgreens with a coupon will have this 2 for $5.00, a great bargin. Otherwise it can be found for $3.00 a box.
Since pairing this hair color with the Neutral Protein Filler this is HG for me and I don't even bother looking for another hair color.
Easy to find, local drugstores and grocery stores.
I encourge everyone to try it.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by maniesflip

I want to give this product a 5 but I don't know if the color have staying ability because I just dyed my hair yesterday. Overall this product is really cheap and very effective. I love how there is so much product in the package and how the color is just what I wanted. My natural hair color is dark brown and I dyed it black and I love how natural this color looks on me, which is not the case with the previous hair dye I bought which cost $3 more yet it left my hair unnatural looking (the hair color was soft black) and stiff. I would totally buy this product again and maybe try out other colors too!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Luscious1104

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the only Permanent drugstore haircolor that really does what it says and it is PERMANENT! It's amonia free and the color is true and vibrant. I recently went from blonde to Colorsilk brunette and it looks so much healthier and softer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 10:46:00 AM More reviews by debkim

Good News for Canada! Finally, we wil be able to find this on the shelves of the drug store instead of hunting through clearance stores and bargain shops.
Here is my recent email from Revlon Canada this morning!

Awesome News for Canadians looking for Hair Colour.

Thank you Revlon!

"Thank you for your recent Chat from the Revlon Website and for taking the time to contact us regarding Revlon ColorSilk Beautiful Hair Color with UV Protection .

Currently there are 16 shades shipping to selected stores such as Rexall and Lawtons in Canada.

Thank you for your interest in Revlon products. We hope to continue serving your cosmetic needs."

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2012 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Nayka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My friend told me she used colorsilk by revlon and loved it. I thought for a cheap price it must be crappy. So I tried #54 light golden brown and I love it. I love the fact that it has no ammonia in it and didn't burn my eyes and nose,and didn't drip all down my face. I also loved the fact that it had uv defence in it. I used to use Garnia but as of today not no more. I love this product and I can buy four boxes now instead of just two for less than twenty dollars. This is the first time I really enjoyed dying my hair. Thanks Revlon

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Rachelesque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is for ColorSilk Luminista for Dark Hair in Light Red 160.

It's been a long, long time since I've had so many people randomly tell me they liked my hair. My hair is naturally a very dark auburn, so it takes red shades really well. This took me from about a level 4 gold/copper to a level 6-7 red/copper. It's BRIGHT.

There are some issues to watch out for, though. The first is that the level of lift flattens out color a bit, so I'm seriously thinking of getting a frosting cap and a darker temp color to put some lowlights in after processing.

The second is that the directions say to put this particular color on all your hair for the entire processing time for recolors. FTLOG, do not do this after the first time unless your hair is only a few inches long. On my first time with this, I only left it on my porous ends for 10-15 minutes and the color was true. Just...know that this is a high-lift color and respect your hair's condition. Don't skimp on pretreatments if you know your hair is damaged. The other thing you can do is use a matching temp color. Clairol Jazzing, which does not lift, has a color called "red hot" that is almost a perfect match to this color. Do your roots with the 5-minute whole head, and add at least 20% jazzing to your after-color conditioner and let it sit 10-15 minutes. I also add it to my regular shampoo and conditioner at about 10% for color maintenance. This is what I do and my hair color is doing great.

The last thing you should know is that the note "for dark hair" is no joke. I saw a bad review for this color from a naturally blonde woman on another website, and it sounds like it lifted her hair to base 10 or lighter under the color, and it turned out pink. I have strawberry blonde streaks on my temples, and they were cherry red at first. So for serious, only use this if your natural hair color is dark. (Or you want pink hair.)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair for the past five years or so, from black to blonde and everything in between. Every time I try a box dye other than Revlon Colorsilk, I'm disappointed in either the color, or the way my hair feels after using it. The only issue I've run into with this brand is that the medium to deep colors run darker than shown, at least on me. I don't usually mind because I go for reddish browns, and they lighten up pretty quickly, but it's just something to keep in mind. My local WalMart has a massive selection of these to choose from, and they are extremely affordable. And even after coloring my hair for so long, it still feels just as healthy as ever.