October 1, 2014 | 1338 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by NiteOwlGrl2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I bought this, because I was really low on money and there was a two for 6 bucks deal at walgreens. I got the shade 6A Dark Ash Blonde which is the closest I can get to my natural hair color. I used to get Colorsilk 4gm Medium Gold Mahogany Brown and 48 Burgundy when I was in highschool. Every color I have used turned out exactly like the box. ALTHOUGH I did take the color out of my hair before I dyed it the dark ash blonde. I'm always very pleased with how my hair color turns out using this brand. I have tried many different dyes even ones from sallys using different developers. Revlon is a good quick cheap fix if you absolutely HAVE to dye your hair yourself which I strongly advise not to do. In the end after a few years you will have to get your hair fixed professionally and most likely cut a lot off :-(.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Dannie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried ColorSilk for the first time last Saturday. My hair is naturally dark ash blonde and about 30% gray, cut short. It's in good condition with salon color of neutral medium blonde. Except for my top roots (touched up a couple of weeks ago with root touch), I had about an inch of virgin growth, so I need something that would do the job.
My sister uses Natural Instincts (something like natural neutral medium middle-of-the-road blonde) and it's beautiful, but I couldn't find the color at Walgreens. ColorSilk was right next to it and I like the price, plus the reviews here are pretty good. I grabbed #74, Medium Blonde.
Because my hair pulls warm even though it's very ashy, I followed the advice here and left it on longer than the directions suggest. I did 35 minutes on the roots and then another 10 all over.
The smell was strong (they all are) but bearable, and after conditioning my hair felt fantastic. BUT - although the color was "medium", it's definitely warm. It's actually a pretty color and very natural looking; I got compliments today at work. The problem? I don't WANT reddish hair, and I didn't want a strong enough change that anyone would notice.
Because of this, I probably won't buy the ColorSilk again unless I find a "neutral medium blond" or decide to try a different color. Otherwise, nice product, easy to use (not drippy) and it didn't burn my scalp like many others do. Very pretty color and a fantastic price at $4.50 full retail!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

After starting to go grey at 18, I have tried almost every hair color out there, and Colorsilk is always my favorite, go to product. I started using it exclusively a few years ago, it's even cheaper than those root touch up kits! I usually get it in a two box set for about $4. The colors have always been perfect - nothing orange or unexpected - and it really covers the grey well for quite a while. Doesn't seem damaging either, what more could you want?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by shandwork

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review for Revlon Colorsilk in 70 Medium Ash Blonde. I used this shade and it was the perfect shade of medium ash blonde. No brassiness and very even. The next time I used it, it turned my roots an reddish dark blonde. Will not repurchase this shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by buurt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can pick this stuff up at walmart for 2.97 a box. I have used practically every hair coloring kit out there since I was 16 (thank you gray hair) I don't see any difference with the different brands. It covers my gray hair nicely and you can't beat the price! A lot of the time they have a 1$ off coupon so I can really get it dirt cheap. Others say the staying power is not great but I don't notice that. My hair grows really fast anyway so I'm usually redying it every 2 weeks :(. Another thing is after using this my hair is extreamly soft and shiny.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2012 1:03:00 PM More reviews by aka235

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Avoid! Colorsilk must have been reformulated--this is schlock.

For a few months, Colorsilk worked nicely--decent staying power and a lovely color. On the last 3 tries, though, staying power has gone south.

On my last go-around, I thought maybe my hair had been too greasy before, so I shampooed my hair and didn't use any conditioner or styling products 24 hours before coloring. This left my hair the consistency of straw. You'd think if you dyed straw, and left it on for an hour for good measure, that straw would be irrevocably and permanently dyed. But no. Looked great for 24 hours until I shampooed. The dye washed off almost immediately, running down my face in muddy brown rivulets that mixed with my tears of anguish and despair. Also running down the drain: my money. No more, Colorsilk!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by aardvarkz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this as a cheaper alternative to Natural Instincts since they reformulated. However, I'm giving up on this dye. I've been using it since around August. I have naturally light ash brown hair that I've been coloring dark brown for around 6 years. Revlon Colorsilk (if it even makes a noticeable difference in my hair) washes out completely in the first week. I've used Dark Brown, Dark Auburn, Dark Brown mixed with Dark Auburn, Dark Reddish Brown (or something like that), and Dark Mahogany Brown. ALL of which faded to the same exact brassy light red brown within the first week, which is the exact opposite problem I had with Natural Instincts. I could not get that color OUT of my hair to save my life. I always had the most intense root line ever. ANYWAY I kept hoping that the color would stay since this is so freaking affordable. My hair's condition has also gotten worse since using this stuff - way more tangles and damage despite the fact that I never use heat on it; this dye is the only remotely damaging thing I use on my hair. Overall, it's an okay dye if you're in a pinch/want a subtle change/super broke/etc, but if you have other options I say forgo this.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by tourmalinequeen

Wait! hold the presses! Whats all the hoopla about this cheap , crappy brand of haircolor? Have the reviewers never tried anything else? I tried this years ago and then tried it again last week after reading all the raving reviews. Maybe I should have said reviews from raving lunatics! This remains one of the worst hair coloring brands in existence. Lends credence to "you get what you pay for". Same as it did years ago, it starts washing out on the second shampoo and if you are a daily shampooer like myself, by the end of week one, you will need to recolor your hair. Can't be good for your hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 8:38:00 AM More reviews by ktyska

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

COLOR: # 43 Medium Golden Brown. I've used this brand of color since 2009, for root touch up every 5-6 weeks and sometimes full all over color every 6 months. This mixes and applys very smooth, not much dripping, I use a bowl and brush to apply, leave on between 20-25 minutes.
My hair grows in very light grey, almost white and this covers the grey always. I did have some "hot roots" but that was fixed using Neutral Protein Filler prior to coloring. ***I blame the "hot roots" on my hair only, not the product, it grows in so light!!!***
I apply 1/2 of the excellent conditioner to my hair after wash out. I so wish Revlon would sell the conditioner alone. My hair is silky and so soft!!! No frizz, no greasy feeling, light as air!!! I use the other 1/2 of the conditioner around a week later as a deep conditioner w/a plastic shower cap.
The color this leaves on my hair is very natural and not flat---close to my natural color, but better NO GREY. Sometimes, Walgreens with a coupon will have this 2 for $5.00, a great bargin. Otherwise it can be found for $3.00 a box.
Since pairing this hair color with the Neutral Protein Filler this is HG for me and I don't even bother looking for another hair color.
Easy to find, local drugstores and grocery stores.
I encourge everyone to try it.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:46:00 PM More reviews by maniesflip

I want to give this product a 5 but I don't know if the color have staying ability because I just dyed my hair yesterday. Overall this product is really cheap and very effective. I love how there is so much product in the package and how the color is just what I wanted. My natural hair color is dark brown and I dyed it black and I love how natural this color looks on me, which is not the case with the previous hair dye I bought which cost $3 more yet it left my hair unnatural looking (the hair color was soft black) and stiff. I would totally buy this product again and maybe try out other colors too!