October 24, 2014 | 1741 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2011 7:36:00 PM More reviews by afish12513

The powder consistency is not good for oily or dry skin. For dry skin it accentuates flakes and for oily skin it just sits on top of the skin. It does help even out my skin tone a bit. The color is just right I think too. I think I would like to try a liquid foundation after this. It has not helped my skin improve like some claim it does. Not at all. If your skin is not dry or oily AT ALL and just needs the tiniest evening out this might work for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by wbwilliams1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It's just a messy pain to apply. And it makes my face look oily, and accentuates fine lines. I'm not a fan. Love the kabuki brush, though.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2011 10:43:00 AM More reviews by missarch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i am not sure if it is only me or others had the similar problem. my skin tone is nc 25, i consider myself as light to medium. i purchased the starter kit for light skin tones, it comes with 2 foundation shades and both of them are too dark for my skin, and i am not even that light for the color description of the company. coverage is good, finish is not my taste, but i always get the desired finish with my body shop vitamin e facial mist so finish of any product doesnt really matter for me. i strongly recommend you to get color match and dont get it online. i am not gonna go the bare minerals counter and try to get matched because first 2 lightest shades was way too dark for me, so i dont belive that their color scale will suit me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am over 60, which matters in my review. When i was young i had very fine pored, combination/T-zone skin, without acne. As i have aged it has become dry. And since menopause a few years ago, i've developed rosacea on my cheeks (and a little on my chin and nose), as well as a small number of moderately enlarged pores. When i wear foundation, which is not every day, i want it to cover the rosacea and even out my coloring. I bought the BE Starter Set with Light and Golden Medium. When there's only a choice between warm and cool, i have been opting for warm. But in many recent makeup tests, i've found that i'm neither warm nor cool. And once i got better lighting where i do my make up, i could see Light was just too yellow and a bit darker than my skin. So i got Fairly Light, which is considered neutral and i find it's far more suitable than a warm or a cool to my skin tone.

The change in packaging, some time before summer 2010, with a rotating closure means that powder no longer explodes everywhere when the jar is opened. And i have no problem using the "Swirl • Tap • Buff" method -- hardly new to those who used loose powder many decades ago -- so i don't get clouds of powder all over my makeup area buffing it on. I do not find any BE products especially messy, but maybe i am more patient or have more experience than some others.

I use the Original formulation because with dry skin with a few fine wrinkles, i do not want a matte finish. Dewy this powder is not, but it has fine and slight reflectivity so it is neither dulling nor disco ball. It works pretty well, covering and toning, without looking heavy. It is not irritating to my skin with occasional use (a few times per week). It stays put at least 8 hours or more -- I don't put my hands on my face much, so i wonder if some of those who complain that it wears off quickly are touching their faces more than they realize. On some days, it works fine: light and comfortable, with decent moderate coverage -- i use Bisque Concealer on my red cheeks and several age spots. However, there are days when, even with judicious use of moisturizer and primer, it accents areas of my face that look tired and dry. I have just switched to the Hydrating Mineral Veil -- i'll see if this is less drying.

Ultimately, i would recommend purchasing this product from somewhere you can return it. Wear it at least several times a week for a few weeks to see if you are sensitive to any ingredients. Test it with and without moisturizer and/or primer to see if you need these additional treatments under BE bM to get the coverage and texture you want. Check its appearance (but not obsessively) in good lighting. And get feedback from people you trust. Then decide whether this is for you.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2011 11:20:00 AM More reviews by MariaCamilla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best foundation I've tried and I will definitely continue using this if it keeps working for me. It's easy to control the amount of foundation you apply and it quickly melts into the skin and looks natural. It gives my skin a glow that I didn't see with other mineral foundations, which I really like.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by CoconutCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My favorite makeup ever. I've tried pretty much every foundation out there and I keep coming back to this. I love that with my glasses I don't get makeup all over my frames and I don't get the little missing patches on my nose where my glasses rub. I also don't break out in that area like I do when I use liquid. I prefer the original to the matte. The matte leaves me looking flat and the original gives some little highlight and dimension that looks fresh. I've got my MIL using this makeup now and she's 66 and loves it. My mom didn't like it at first, because she thought it was too powdery and made her look old, but once she sat in the makeup for a few and it settled in, she looked at it again and changed her mind. With this MU, application is everything. Go slow, light layers, and don't build up too much too fast.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/22/2011 7:53:00 AM More reviews by shakeuptampa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying the only reason I won't buy this product again is because I have finally gotten rid of my fear of liquid foundation. I had a big fear of blending all wrong. I was turned on to BE when I managed a salon boutique. I was taught how to use it. I wasted a lot by spilling it, getting it down my clothing, or it jumping out of the container when pouring the leftovers from the lid back into the container.

I never liked the warmth- way too dark for someone who has ivory skin. I could not use the fairly light alone, I could use the light alone. So as I ran out of the light I would blend the fairly light. I LOVE the kabuki brush from the set and still use it. (4years later).

I find these foundations to be a problem and take more time and hassle then it is worth. It is messy to work with, gets all over the make up bag from residue on the sides of the lid and either not enough pours into the compartment or half the container pours out. The quality is great! The price is a bit steep. The average kit depending on location is $60-$78. This can last quite sometime if you don't spill any across your bathroom. Great for people who want to switch to mineral foundation. Not so great for those who don't want to wipe down their bathrooms, change their shirt, or have dust across your bustline.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 11:14:00 PM More reviews by shar037

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Age: 42
Skin: Dry-Normal
Condition: Large pores, few fine lines
After using this product for two months... I feel that I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Some days, it is the most beautiful, lasting finish ever. Other days, my pores are exaggerated and my skin becomes oily. Neither of these experiences have I ever had with any other product.
The color match is perfect, it leaves a beautiful sheen finish, I can touch my face and it feel so soft.
I try my best to keep my skin in good condition therefore it does not dry me out....even under my eyes.
Some days it lasts and others it doesn't.
What gives?
The ingredients used are very typical in any foundation...even cream foundations. So, the lux claims of natural, coming from the earth- aren't so extraordinary. Also, rarely does one find Bismuth in a "natural" environment. Yes, it is a heavy metal on the periodic table, so it technically naturally occurring, but this doesn't mean that it is good for you. What about poor Arsenic? He's on the table too:)
Luckily, I have had no reaction to Bismuth and don't really mind the mess.
So, for now, I will not give up.
But no promises if this polar experience continues:)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by DMC123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After developing cystic acne in my mid-30s on my jawline and cheeks, I was at my wit's end. I tried many oil-free liquid foundations to see if that was what was causing the breakouts. When I saw an ad for BE, I thought I'd give it a try. This was back when it was sold on TV (there was no BE store near me). I am not exaggerating when I say that within 2 months I was just about break-out free. I was ecstatic. And while the blemishes were erupting or healing, it covered very well.

To this day, I get compliments on my skin all the time. I was being helped by a salesperson at Nordstrom and she says, "My god, your skin is incredible. Do you even have pores?!" Made my day! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by EveAmaranthe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I normally don't spend a lot on makeup unless I think it's really worth it, and Bare Minerals is one of those exceptions. After years of liquid foundation that irritated my skin, I was so glad to find something that actually made it look better the more I used it. I used to break out much more often, but now it's one or two blemishes occasioanlly. I wouldn't recommend this for those with dry skin unless you use a moisturizer first, but because I have combination skin this product balanced it out. This is one thing in my makeup bag I can't go without, even on supposedly makeup-free days I wear this foundation. It only takes a few seconds to throw on, so why not?