December 19, 2014 | 866 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by magnifiquee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first colour tattoo purchase and so far so good! I expected this colour to be a little more purpley as that's what it looks like to me in the container . It went on more dark grey but it was nice. Very easy to apply with a stiff shader brush or even your fingers if you wanted. I expected it to be way more creamy and crease but after I applied it, it felt powdery on the lid and didn't crease at all! I will definitely be trying the rest of these because they can be great as a wash of colour on the lid or even as a base for eyeshadow. These are also very affordable for a cream shadow and the container is sanitary and nice, love the screw on top. Would recommend to people looking for good drugstore cream shadows.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by jaycarr

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tough as Taupe is not the best of the Maybelline Color Tattoo shadows. I have Bad to the Bronze and love it. Tough As Taupe creases like crazy! Sometimes my lids get oily but this is the only Color Tattoo that has no staying power whatsoever on its own. I didn't use an additional primer with it and within a few hours the oil had cracked through. I have medium brown skin and the color is nice under lighter eyeshadows. Also,once you finish the first layer the color is completely different! It's a darker, grainier taupe. Ill continue to use it with a primer but it's definately not the best one in the line IMO.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by nailtrip

These little gems are great, after primer I put these on my lids for a base and the shadow really last all day.Not sure about 24 hours but who really needs make up on for that long lol. Also these work great as a regular shadow,they blend well with each other and do not crease which is great.No smearing or smudging around. I love these and invested in mostly all the colors. Will continue to buy their great, so a little tip some of the shades are hard to blend so use those as a base.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by painted_dainty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been a big fan of MAC Paint Pots but recently learned about Maybelline's version and the positive reviews they have received. At less than half the price of a MAC PP, they seemed to be worth trying. Especially because PPs seem to go bad fairly quickly, for the price.

Tough as Taupe is a matte medium taupe that to me is more on the gray side. It looks great with my blue eyes and blends easily with my fingertip. It's not too dry and not too emollient. Perfect texture! It lasts all day without creasing. I love it and would definitely buy it again.

*****EDIT: It's not "taupe" at all. It's definitely gray, cement gray. Not an easy color to wear unless you do a lot of smokey eye looks.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Lhegge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a perfect brow filler for me. I have very sparse brows from overplucking in my younger days and I have a bald spot at the inner right brow. The gray almost purple tone is perfect for dk. Ash blondes or light browns without imparting any warm red tones in your brows. It is long lasting and buildable to an even darker color if needed. Beautiful on blue eyes as a shadow but perfect for brows!!!
Update--dried up after only a few months, had to be careful not to have brows look cakey.
Try Clinique CHARCOALED applied damp for similar effect, longer lasting more natural appearance :)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by mbrow222

Mine dried out really fast, even though I stored it in a dark room temperate place upside down. It also looked chalky on my eyelid. I liked the other Colour Tattoos, but this one was a dud for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by modelsoup202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For some reason, this one dried out much faster than the Bad to the Bronze. Also, I find this one harder to blend than the others. All in all it is a good product but nothing spectacular due to the subpar texture and blending capabilities.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by eteix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not sure if this warrants yet another rave review, but here's one anyway! I was looking for a cream eyeshadow for a while, since I find them fairly easy to apply & blend with a finger. However, so many cream eyeshadows I've used will crease before I even leave the house! These Color Tattoos don't do that. One more reason I love Tough as Taupe is that since I am NOT a morning person, it's great to just reach for this pot and do a simple look with it and go out looking presentable. For reference, I'm NW20 and I think it's a flattering shade on me. The only slight downside is that the consistency of the product is a bit hard, and not buttery like a lot of other cream eyeshadows. The pot is also a bit bulky for my tastes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

Great tip, READ ON!

This is a great eye shadow base! Lasts all day, I haven't noticed any creasing. Comparable to MAC Paint pots. Now on to the tip.. For those of you that like Chanel Notorious, or like to contour with a grayish color to mimic a realistic shadow, but like to work with creams... Try this! It makes a GREAT contour! I like to apply with the angled end of Sigmas F88 brush, them blend out with my finger, then set with a translucent powder. It looks like a real shadow, and it's not so grey that it looks like death. Being that it is a cream, it doesn't catch onto bumps in my skin like the Chanel Notorious does, and it's matte, which makes a better contour anyway. Just wanted to share my exciting discovery!

Would i repurchase? YES! I'm a makeup artist, and this has become a staple in my kit!

20 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by juniebug008

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I like it, but I certainly don't love it. I have a few other of the Color Tattoo shadows, but this one seems to crease like crazy! (And yes, I apply it in a thin layer!) And it also seems to just look really dirty and sloppy even when I apply with a brush. Also doesn't blend well. Tough as Taupe and I just don't get along! :/