July 29, 2014 | 2054 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by GoldenVenissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a pressed powder to wear either alone (w/ concealer) or as a setting powder for my liquid foundation. I have dry, dry skin so I find many powder make me skin look and feel even drier and can accent the very fine lines I naturally have.

I purchased this for $2.57 CAD at WalMart, after being recommended it on the MU board. I'm glad they did. It has a nice, light texture to it and did not appear powdery or cakey.

It has little fragrance, which was a nice surprise. I did not have any issues with the packaging, however, I did toss the pink sponge out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aterrebonne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this pressed powder in translucent for about three years now. It is awesome! I've heard that it is comparable to MAC Blot powder, but I have never tried the Blot powder, so I can't compare the two.

Here is what I do know...this product works. It never looks cakey. I use it all throughout the day and it always makes my face look fresh. Oh, I live in South Louisiana, too. So, that says something about the effectiveness of this product right there! Also, it is cheap! I think it is about two bucks at CVS. Great price for something that works this well.

The packaging is crap. I guess we can't be too picky for something that only cost two bucks. Also, the applicator that comes with it is worthless. Do yourself a big favor and toss it as soon as possible and get yourself some of those flocked sponges that they sell at CVS or any other drugstore.

All in all, this powder is wonderful and I have and will continue to purchase it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was told that I wouldn't be too dark for this. I am NC40-42 and it left a white, noticeable residue on me. I tried applying it very lightly with a stippling/skunk brush and there was still a noticeable light caste. It helps keep the oilies away but it is NOT truly transluscent. I can see it working on much lighter toned gals but if you are tanned then please skip this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by marymuffet

I just found out that N.Y.C. changed the formula. I haven't tried the newer version but I really like the old version especially for the price. I thought the powder does a great job in making my pores look a tad bit smaller.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by aeaeae7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this stuff. I don't use it daily, and I'm not much of a powder person, but this stuff is everyone else says it is and more. Although it isn't completely tranluscent, it works well to lighten slightly dark foundations, which is kind of what I use it for, and to set my concealer. I also find it gives a little bit of coverage. I love this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Popcornshrimp

This does what its suppose to do quite well. Keeps oil at bay and has a nice finish. However, this is NOT transparent. I'm a peach color but this goes on white so I look like vampire out of Twilight when I put it on over bare skin. Good thing my foundation is a shade too dark so this makes it pretty close to my skin color. If you arn't white as a ghost, I would probs go with an actual color rather than this. I will repurchase, but in a color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just bought a back up of this as I found some in a chemist that miraculously were untested and still had the multi-coloured NYC logo. This is a great, cheap pressed powder. I don't use it in my daily routine but keep it in my bag for touchups and to blot. Works well at evening out skintone if you get hot and blotchy, as I have on occasion on a night out! Applies evenly, not cakey at all, and doesn't give you that powdery look. A fantastic quality bargain.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 3:28:00 PM More reviews by gigiberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have purchased this several times when I have felt guilty for buying MAC's blot powder over and over when this is basically just as good. I apply this with a kabuki brush and it works very well to set my makeup and keep my face matte for at least a few hours. It isn't as finely milled as MAC's and can get a little cakey if you don't moisturize well. I hate the packaging and the ridiculous foam puff but will repurchase due to the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/6/2009 5:31:00 PM More reviews by LaFemmNoir

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

It is worth a try, for two dollars. To it's merit, the quality is astounding for it's price, it is soft, won't make you break out, there is a decent amount of product, and it really is translucent. That said, I don't know how well it has actually absorbed oil and prevented my skin from overproducing it, and it only adds a minimal amount of staying power to my blush and foundation. While I am fond of the matte look, the powder only really looks nice at first; if it is hot, it starts to look cakey and really accentuates my peach fuzz. I never thought they were noticeable, but the powder sure sets out to make sure that they are, which I don't like. I wont be applying it over my makeup anymore; but it does seem to work a lot better at controlling oil when I apply it over bare skin, so I won't throw it out.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/4/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by regretia

Decent powder. I don't use powder commonly in general, but it doesn't dull my skin and gives me slight coverage on top of my foundation, and that's typically all I ask for. The packaging gives you loose powder flying around sometimes, but it's no big deal.