April 21, 2014 | 1472 users online

Fragrances - Thierry Mugler - Angel

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2012 2:19:00 AM More reviews by Xuxa13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a controversial fragrance and I can understand why. A couple people mentioned something about a BO overtone, and I get that on first spray...but once it melts into your skin, and chemistry works its magic...that's when the good stuff happens. It's spicy, and slightly sweet, smoky, a touch fresh...and just warm. To me, it smells like warmth. Definitely a Fall/Winter fragrance. You gotta give it a fair shake, though - about an hour to dry down completely before you run to the shower retching, or decide that it really is heavenly, and enjoy the wafts of warm sweetness that have settled into your clothes. And less is more, SO much more, which should stretch your investment for some time if properly stored. I take a point off because the bottle, although pretty, doesn't really fit the fragrance and it's kind of clumsy.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by PaintInkChick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

OMG! I soo love this fragrance! It's one of my faves,very unique...I actually didn't know it was that old till I read some of the reviews..as it doesn't smell old ladyish at all. And I brought my mommy "Star":) now that's a lil to loud for me,but Angel is just the right amount of pretty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Where do I begin with this modern classic?
Angel is a beastly mish-mash of cotton candy, stewed fruits, chocolate-drizzled caramel, and above all, very green, wet, fresh-cut grass. If you try to take it apart and focus on just one note or the other (e.g. you love cotton candy), you will be disappointed because all the other notes are equally strong.

Many people find it too sweet, too rich, too unbalanced, too sharp, too strong, too everything. It's an olfactorial overload that is ground-breaking in its disregard for political correctness, and while it has many imitators, none of ever had the guts to take it this far.

Don't let the rating fool you into thinking this belongs there with the rest of the "3-point-something" scents because I'll bet Angel has the most 1s and 5s of any scent on Makeupalley. To love it, you either have a taste for sharp contrasts, the right body chemistry, or a strong nonconformist streak.
------------
Suggestion for use: Decant and dab a tiny bit on instead of spraying. I find this makes the scent diffuse slower and the overall experience much more pleasant, for you and everyone around.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by alexandraxy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

What I can say?
For sure that our olfactory sense is so unique, that I find personal reviews of perfumes pretty useless, unlike those for make up or skin care products.
Evidence of this is the fact that when you talk about a fragrance, some hate it, while others love it. And in the end you know about it as much as you knew before.
This is also true for Angel.
I won't enter into details about its fragrance pyramid, I'm not an expert and you can find this kind of info everywhere on the net.
What I can tell you, is that I don't like its packaging: neither the star, which I find totally "user-unfriendly" and neither do I like the big bottle (100ml/3.4oz), the version (spray)
I have got. The base is much narrower than the top, hence not very stable. Moreover, if you have long nails, you risk to break one spraying it and the pump doesn't work that well. Here you can see both versions:

So said, I love this fragrance! It has happened to me many a time to smell a perfume and say.... uhm, it reminds me of that other fragrance. Believe me, it won't happen with Angel, it's unique! And, more than for other perfumes, I think that either you love it or you hate it. Because of its out of the ordinary composition. You just have to try it to find out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by makeupjulia1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Angel is a pretty unique smell that I really can't compare to anything else. Although the product stirrs up a ton of controversy, it is a winner in my book! If you are looking for something overly subtle don't buy this. You will have people complimenting you all day :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:29:00 AM More reviews by sofaloaf

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

EW. Honestly. It doesn't smell like anything disgusting, like garbage or something, but it smells like a bunch of nice things that don't go together....It smells like trees, ginger ale, caramel, and roses...Together, I just get a whiff of a pleasant armpit whenever I smell this. I kept trying it all week to try to like it, but I couldn't. Something is just off!
I gave it 2 lippies, 1 because it was a good try, and a second one because the bottle is beautiful.
just don't waste your money on this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by stayce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've never met a fragrance that confused me as much as Angel. One tiny spray from a sample vial and I could practically see the halo of Angel's reach, like I'd sprayed radium on my arm. This actually confuses my brain: smells like pine and candy! Smells like a chemical spill! Smells good! Smells bad! Ultimately, I found a tiny drop both enticing and nauseating. The high rating is because I don't run into perfumes that make me think very often. But I don't think I could ever actually wear this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by next1

Would i buy this again not no but hell no. My husband got this for me after i pointed it out and said id heard so many good things about. So imagine my suprise when i get my brand new fragrance baby home open it for that first spray and wait for the drydown.........and then wth it smells like BO!! What? Not possible so thinking omg is it me?!?! I jump in the shower get out and try again...and no absolutely not. Its my brand new full bottle of perfume. My husband hated it so much he threw it in the trash himself. Id still love to try alien though, maybe we will get along better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2012 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an explosion of emerald-green stardust to me: I would have actually made the bottle in green - then it would have better supported the essence of the scent. Angel is such a rare effect of warm green! - truly unique, because before it nothing remotely similar had been available. Considering, how much controversy it stirrs up, it's already a winner! - people who choose bold loud fragrances seek attention, and this one gets 100% of it ( even if it's openly hated by some - there's no such thing as bad press, right? :) ) It opens with a sparkling surge of green, and then the stardust settles and the sweetness emerges from this heavenly otherworldly rainforest. I don't detect any chocolate - on the contrary, the whole cocoathing is not at all present to my nose: it is rather sugarcoated green leaves for me. It produces an exact feeling that a person, who appreciates nature, experiences while watching a 5pm sun crawling towards the horizon line over a sparkly snowy winter landscape! As intense as it is, it actually calmes me down: strange, but I manage to derive deep serenity from it. There's NOTHING old-ladyish in it, on the contrary - a very young hopefull and energetic scent! Wore it in my teens and recently got a bottle from my husband and I can't wait for the reunion! An ideal Xmas/NY holiday perfume - nails the mood and suits all the glitter!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by JaneWhit99

I sprayed my wrist with this I believe at Macy's or maybe another department store. Anyways, I smelled it throughout the day and it was just a strong, chemical smell. I have chocolate scent and honestly i couldn't smell a hint of cocoa or chocolate, it smelled like bug off!

I definitely don't recommend and will not be buying again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No