October 21, 2014 | 2059 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2010 8:27:00 PM More reviews by itskirby

This is the only face wash I've found that works for me. I use it every day, it doesn't dry my skin out but makes it clearer, smoother and less oily. I got a tiny 5$ slice of it and it lasted me for months. I generally have skin that is a mix of oily and dry.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2010 8:26:00 PM More reviews by tori8780

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is ultra harsh to my mildly sensitive skin. Even if I didnt rub it directly on my face it was very drying. And if I did rub it on my face for exfoliation it was just plain scratchy. I would not repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 10:18:00 PM More reviews by LUCKY521

I have combination skin (oily t-zone) and this product works great for me! I only use it about every other day in the morning and it's a great cleanser and exfoliator. My skin feels clean and soft after using it. I was really happy with the results so I told my husband to try it thinking he'd love it as much as I did, but he thought it was so-so. He said it made his skin really dry. I guess it's not great for everyone, but if you have oily skin or combo skin, I think it would work great! I bought a small bar (about $5.00 worth to try it out and it's lasted me awhile. I got it about a month ago, cut it in half, and I'm still using the first slice.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by beckhamlvr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this cleanser! It cleans my face really well and keeps any acne away. I use it daily and love it. I highly recommend this! Also, since it really does haven't "packaging" I bought one of those tin containers they sell and just keep it in there. It prevents water and steam or anything from getting to it and helps it last longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2010 12:52:00 PM More reviews by paprcups

After a bad experience with Fresh Farmacy, I decided to try again with Coal Face. I've been using it since Dec 2009 but since I've run out and it's hard for me to get it (i'm in Singapore) i've just begun to use Purpose...anyway, bought it in the Covent Garden shop for about 4 pounds per 100 g, not much in lieu of packaging as it is a soap bar. Keeps pretty well in the shower if you put it in a soap tray on a shelf far away from the spray, as I do... Coal Face lathers very well, I usually rub it directly on my face and lather up from there but I only use the rough side every other day because otherwise the exfoliation is too harsh for my sensitive skin. When i start on a new bar, I'll need to rub the exfoliating side off on my hands the first couple weeks, the bits are pretty large and rough...as for results, I did find that Coal Face managed to make my skin less oily, and my skin always feels clean but not tight/dry after I use it. It is not, however, moisturising in any way - you do need a moisturiser after this, but I find Lush's moisturizers all too heavy. In London (winter time), Coal Face totally cleared up my skin, but once I was back in Singapore my acne flared up again due to our horrid, humid and hot weather. It hasn't gotten rid of my acne completely while here and sometimes I do notice that I am more sensitive to it than other times, but I would repurchase again and again if not for the fact that is an absolute bitch to procure from here.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by GabyWill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love love this product! I have oily/acne prone skin, I received a sample of coalface and loved it....later down the road I decided to buy the fresh pharmacy (big mistake) it didn't help at all. I went back to the coal face, it keeps my face really clean, I make sure to lather my face really good. Sometimes I would keep it on my face for about a min then rinse it off and it keeps my face super clean. I have notice that the oils in my face have not been so bad either.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2010 12:49:00 AM More reviews by IqMakeup

I got this as a sample and a generous one too. I had heard it make the oiliest of skins to matte up ! It did a pretty good job though I was shiny in about 3 hours ... maybe I just did not lather enough cause I was too excited to use the soap hahahahah. However it does lather well ! I was clueless whether to rub the textured side on my skin so as to exfoliate... It did not feel harsh or abrasive - just right. I think I will repurchase but reading reviews has got me wondering if my skin would become resistant to it too..

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by candybunny88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

i have pretty oily skin that tends to get shiny toward the middle of the day (yes, not the end of the day, the middle of the day) and its not just my t-zone either, even my cheeks get oily which is so random! however i dont really get break outs that much, only that time of the month makes my skin go a bit nuts. i bought coalface as i have become kind of obsessed with lush products lately and my regular cleanser ran out ( i used to use garnier pure blackhead scrub, and it is pretty amazing!). i got a chunk that was sightly over 100g for 21 nzd (coalface goe for 16.90 per 100g here), and to be honest i was kind of thinking to myself 'why am i paying so much for such a little bar??', but seriously the lasting power has impressed me so far. like many other lush users, i cut my bar into 10 smaller pieces and only use 1 at a time. ive been using my just-over-10g bar for almost a month now twice a day and the bar has only gone down to about half of its original size so in theory my purchase should last me well over a year!! so its really not that expensive considering how long it lasts.

after my rambling about everything circumstantial about this bar, im going to mention things about the bar itself. the smell of it is actually pretty bad since i really dont like liquorice, but i can tolerate the smell as its not so potent that i can only smell it if i put it under my nose and sniff. the good thing about this yucky smell is that my boyfriend has since stopped using my cleanser (he used to when i used garnier) as he hates the smell so much, so more for me yay! this soap does leave my skin feeling very squeaky clean, its a bit drying but its nothing on my oily skin. the best thing about this soap is that it actually control my oilyness that on the days which i use it morning and night my face doesnt get oily till the end of the day even if i dont use a powder in the morning when i put on my make up so its great!!! however i dont find this soap very exfoliating as i am yet to master the fine art of gliding the soap on my face and cleansing that way so alternatively i bought myself one of those sea spongy thingies and i rub the soap on the sponge then 'sponge' rub my face. oh another thing coalface does not lather up well at all unlike some previous reviewers have suggested, maybe im doing something wrong....maybe...
oh, and unlike some reviewers have mentioned, coalface does remove my make up (i only wear tinted moisturiser and powder and bronzer though) and somehow it has given my sea spongy this really really clean smell! the soap on its own does melt so in order to store it i pat it dry with a tissue after every use and slot it into one of those breath mint tins which is kind of annoying that i have to take such care of a piece of soap!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 1:14:00 AM More reviews by jl4068

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great product for oily skin, I've used it for around 2 weeks now and have found it super effective in reducing my blemishes and spots. Seeing as my face is only oily in the T-zone (and a little dry at times on my cheeks), I found the best combination to combat this was to apply LUSH's Celestial moisturiser at night after washing and then their Vanishing cream (dryer months- Winter/Autumn) or Enzymion (in the warmer months - Summer/Spring) in the morning. The only downfall is its packaging and the fact that it does not come with some kind or container but I will definitely be purchasing this product again!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Regeena

I went into LUSH looking for a cleanser to control oil and blemishes and to even out my skin tone. I have a very oily t-zone, occasional mild breakouts, redness around the cheeks and blackheads on the nose and chin that I wanted to be rid of.
The SA recommended that I try either Coal Face or Fresh Farmacy. I went with Coal Face with the intention of trying FF in a couple of weeks.

I've been using this product mostly twice a day (always at least at night before bed) since Friday and I'm cautiously optimistic so far.

A lot of people are complaining about the smell. It smells strongly of black licorice and...almost woodsy, too. I happen to find the scent very, very comforting.

The soap is very abrasive if applied directly to the face. I first lather in my hands then apply. LOVE the lather!

My face feels squeaky clean after washing and doesn't look nearly as red as with other cleansers I've used in the past. That alone, to me is impressive.

I HAVE broken out a little bit the past few days, however, I'm not quick to blame this product. I'll blame my hormones for at least another week or two, unless the problem gets worse.

This morning, while applying my moisturizer (LUSH's Vanishing Cream, which I bought paired with Coal Face) I noticed that my chin looked MUCH clearer. My blackheads seem to be disappearing. I will continue to use this soap just for that alone!!

All in all, I'm very excited about this soap even though I've been using it less than a week. I have noticed slightly less oil production during the day and am hoping that with continued use, this soap will be just what I've been waiting for.

UPDATE: I've now been using Coal Face for about two months. After the first couple of weeks, my skin broke out and I stopped using this soap, afraid that it was causing my breakouts. After about two weeks of non-use my skin started to become oily again about 3 hours after applying my foundation and I was heartbroken. I was back to touching up my foundation with powder and oil absorbing sheets throughout the day. After my skin mostly cleared up, I decided to give coal face one more try since it did an AMAZING job at keeping my oily skin under control and also, I noticed a definite improvement in my skin tone, not nearly as many red blotches anymore. I've been using Coal Face since I went back to it and even went back to Lush to purchase more (about 15 dollars worth). I've decided as it stands, Coal Face is possibly the best soap I've used for my oily skin. I'm now back to almost never having to powder during the work day (sometimes, before I go out for lunch, I'll do a very slight touch up). I'm very happy with this soap and will be repurchasing again and again. My only gripe now is that my cheeks are slightly dry but it's nothing that a moisturizer doesn't take care of. I would totally recommend this soap to anyone with oily skin. Use it for two weeks and see how you like it and take it from there. This is my HG cleanser.