April 23, 2014 | 941 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Eye Enhancers - Champagne

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 9:10:00 AM More reviews by powerwoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

First, let me say I am a big fan of MAC eyeshadows, so this was an unusual purchase for me. I bought it because Walgreens was running a B1G1 sale, and I wanted to give it a try because of the reviews here.

This eyeshadow works remarkably well as a highlighter for the inner corner of my eye. I use the pointed end of the sponge applicator included in the packaging rather than a brush because it seems to work better that way. If this product was intended for inner eye highlighting only, I would have given it 5 lippies. But, alas...

For use as an under brow highlighter, I have found the application to be iffy. When I applied it on bare skin, the shadow went on choppy and splotchy. It helped somewhat to use the applicator that comes in the package instead of a brush; however, doing so resulted in a much heavier, frostier look than I wanted.

For my second experiment, I applied MAC StudioFix powder all over my eye area before applying Champagne. This helped the product go on more evenly, but I still wasn't thrilled with the result. I had to apply several layers of eyeshadow to achieve an even application, and then it was too frosty.

For my third experiment, I applied my HG foundation (amazingly, the low-end CG Clean Fragrance-Free thanks to reviews here!!). Next I applied a thin layer of MAC Studio Fix powder, although any powder would probably work as well. Finally, I used the fat end of the enclosed applicator to apply Champagne under my brow bone. The result: flawless.

As to be expected for any inexpensive eyeshadow, I find that this one fades fairly quickly on me. You might want to keep it in your makeup bag and reapply it during the day, especially if you have oily skin.

For the record, I am 49 years old, NW25 in summer (NW20 in winter) with green eyes and silver hair. I find that the amount of shimmer in this eyeshadow borders on a bit too much for my age. If this were not an issue, I would have given this product 4 lippies. The shimmer can be toned down somewhat by layering products underneath the shadow, but my higher quality shadows do not require that much hassle. Also, the fact that this eyeshadow doesn't work well when applied with a brush contributed to my 3 lippie rating.

I will probably not repurchase this. If you want a similar shade of MUCH better quality, try MAC Ricepaper instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 10:06:00 AM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like a lot of things about this eye shadow. I was concerned that it would be too yellow/gold for me - and it is a little, but not near as much as I thought it would be. I also tried the Pink Chiffon, which is definitely lighter, a little more frosty, but it has a pink/white undertone that is more suited to my skin coloring. I wish they made a color in between the two.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great color to know about. Now, I prefer other shadows for quality. But if you ever lose your stuff on a plane, don't want to travel with it, worry about it breaking in your bag on the go...pick this up! It is a nice little staple and so cheap, if anything happens to it...who cares! If I ever found myself out of town and shadowless...I would be grabbing this up fast! And I do keep it in my bag at all times because it is so neutral. A soft gold champagne color that can go on light or more pigmented depending on how you apply it. I am MAC NW20 and think it is great. It can look soft and beige with a light touch or more pigmented, whiter with a heavier hand. As for wear and durablility...I prefer MAC shadows. But this is one of those drugstore finds you need to know about

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Coronado

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My mother had this laying around and used it one day, it was too light for her so she gave it to me.

I can see why this stuff is so cheap, it's awful.

I loved the color at first, it smoothed on nicely and looked pretty good with my eyeliner and mascara. (I strive for a sort of 1960s look. Light eyeshadow, dark liner and lashes.)

After a hour or so, I checked my makeup and, yet again. The shadow had settled into my crease.

So no, this is NOT my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2008 4:50:00 AM More reviews by mirrorgirlmirrorgirls

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

this one rocks. not at all frosty or creasy on moist lids. it's the color that i love. it is a pale yellow-gold that makes my medium toned blue eyes lighter and brighter. i know it would look great for any coloring but i think it's a must for blue eyes and fair skin. it's kinda natural looking but vibrant and sexy all at once. i always call the CO hotline before i buy shades cuz they know there stuff..just describe your coloring and they pick em out.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2008 6:53:00 PM More reviews by mingaling88

I use this eyeshadow as a highlighter on my eyes and it looks so nice!! It doesn't last that long on my oily lids but I still like it. However, I won't repurchase because theres so much eyeshadow in this product!! yay!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by rachferg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think covergirl did stop making this e/s for a while becuase i couldn't find it either...but I've bought this again & again, started wearing it b/c of my mama even! The one thing we agreed on when it came to makeup...can make it a day or night look.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by SushiGirl8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Don't know why I haven't reviewed this product yet, as I have been using it for almost 10 years! I've tried others, but always come back to this one - definitely HG highlighter for me, especially underneath the lid and brow bone and inner corners .. love it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by rock_chica81

This is my HG highlighter! Love the color! I always use this on my brow bone and the inner corner of my eyes. It gives the prettiest glow. I don't use the applicator that it comes with because it'll deposit too much product making me look frosty. So I use a brush and a light hand to apply. The staying power is excellent and the price is really reasonable. This goes well with CG's Mink and Tapestry Taupe.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2008 4:27:00 PM More reviews by shadowphoenix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

IN LOVE. This is the third one I've gone through. I was dissappointed when i couldn't find it and thought it was discontinued, until one random day i saw it! I love it. I goes with every other shadow I have, blends flawlessly, is good for multiple effects in day and night, has a simple, classic, no thrills, prctical yet classy container, and stays all day.
PS. When I was searching for a replacement, I didn't find one. I tried 4. None matched up.
Buy again? Forever.