April 16, 2014 | 1846 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Foaming Facial Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Thank God I'm not the only one.

Let me tell you what happened. I got this as a sample and LOVED it, and I began to use it religiously. I already had some (adult) acne and wanted it gone. I used this product for over a YEAR, at least 2 or 3 bottles so far, so those of you who just started, BEWARE!!!!!! I agree with you ladies out there who gave the bad reviews. Let me tell you, I didn't notice it was doing anything specifically because I already had problems and used so many other products too. But the acne and whiteheads got out of control. I had MASSIVE fields of whiteheads and cystic acne like never before. I never thought it was the Cerave which I loved so much and I thought made my skin amazing. I started Evening Primrose Oil pills (to regulate hormones) which did get rid of the painful cysts, and other masks, scrubs, benzyl peroxide creams, cleansers to alternate with, but always used the Cerave, at least once a day. I recommended it to everyone. Finally I GAVE a friend a bottle because I thought it was that great. She told me it broke her out, but she loved the way it made her skin feel. Impossible I thought, keep trying it. She did, but not for long. She had an instant reaction, and maybe I did too, but I couldn't tell. That really made me realize for the first time that it could be the Cerave causing the problem, so I stopped that and the benzyl peroxide (it was soooo drying!!) and used a sample of DHC Olive Leaf soap I had. I am still on the primrose pills, which I always thought were amazing, but at the time I was still breaking out due to the Cerave. Now, without the cerave and the BP, my skin is INSTANTLY healing!!!!

It isn't just about oily or dry skin. Mine is combo/regular and this didn't dry me out per say, but it did something to cause acne, clog pores or a reaction or something. Please be warned, I really am shocked how I was using this for so long and really thought it was the cure when it was the problem. I'm sure it won't happen to everyone, but a year ago I would have given a five star review. Just know that if you break out, this could be a possible cause.

**UPDATE**: I just found out mostly thanks to the amazing ladies on here, that I have a reaction to niacinamide, which is a main ingrident. If you reacted to this, DO NOT USE OLAY REGENERIST and CHECK all your products for Niacinamide. I'm going on a returning spree. You guys saved my life right here. It's definitely that ingredient for me, it might not be for all of you, but I've seen reviews that people were having similar reactions to the same products I was reacting to, and checked the ingredients and it was there!!

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2012 2:09:00 AM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Cerave is a line created with dermalologists. Sounds good, eh? Let me first tell you a little about my skin. I have combo, very clogged prone skin with some hyperpigmentation and acne scars. I was looking for a gentle skin care line and I saw all the raves on Cerave. Plus, its readily available at most drugstores (CVS, Target, Walgreens) and the price is pretty good too (under $13). I picked up the foaming cleanser, hydrating cleanser and the Cerave PM lotion. I noticed a lot of good ingredients like Niacinamide, Ceramides and Sodium Hyaluronate. I thought I might have stumbled upon my HG skin care.

Here are my thoughts:

Foaming Facial Cleanser: I think this is a great, solid foaming cleanser which for me, effectively removed my makeup with one wash. You may need to do a double-cleanse if you use longwear or waterproof. One to two pumps is enough to create an abundant lather with water. I admit, this cleanser did not irritate my existing pimples or any cause any additional redness. I used this cleanser for a month. I initially loved the results. It made my face feel squeaky clean. For those who like that squeaky feel, this is for you. For me, it did dry my face out a little bit. But the one thing I noticed was an increase in clogged pores around my jaw area, sides of my forehead and chin. It didnt happen overnight but it did happen eventually. Nothing major but again, my skin is very prone to clogging and this and the other Cerave cleansers seemed to have increased my whiteheads. It was very annoying and even now, I still have some stubborn whiteheads that wont go away. Grrrr... I am sure I can use this for washing my makeup brushes.

I wish I could love this wash because it is gentle and effective at cleansing but to me, I just couldnt stand the clogged pores. Also, I noticed my hands were often very dry and itchy too. I have since gone back to my old cleanser and I think my face is a little better.

For those that can use Cerave cleansers, I am so jealous. But again, I dont want to bash this cleanser because I do think it will work for many. Just not me... =(

PS. Tried the Hydrating Cleanser and that one is not effective for makeup removal but good for morning washes as it is really gentle. Lotion-type consistency and very little lather. Also caused clogged pores but worse for me than the foaming.

As for the Cerave PM lotion, strangely, I can use this lotion along with my AHA lotion and it seems OK. Moisturizes without a greasy feel and I do notice softer skin. YAY! We'll see. what happens with continued use...

Thanks for reading =)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2012 9:25:00 PM More reviews by maddie1997

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Great stuff! I use this morning and night and it cleans my skin without stripping it of moisture or making my skin feel uncomfortable. It foams nicely and rises without leaving a residue. It's mild, but gets the job done efficiently. At first, it seems expensive, but one bottle lasts forever! Awesome product. Will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this every morning and have repurchased and will continue to do so. It's great at cleansing my oily skin and whatever I may have used at night (retin-A, BHA, etc.) without irritating or drying. A must-have for me. Doesn't remove liquid foundation well enough (but works on tinted moisteriser or powder foundation) but I use a different cleanser at night.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 12:32:00 PM More reviews by emysiu

I've been using this for a month now and wow! What a great cleanser! I have combination skin that is on the oily side, but it doesn't dry out the drier parts of my skin and never increases my skin's sensitivity/redness. It does a good job of cleaning my makeup and when I skip a night of using this, I've been noticing that my pores gets a bit more congested. I had been using Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser and I have to say this one is the much better product for that job. For a drugstore product, this is on the expensive side, but to me, it's definitely worth it. The bottle I've been using probably has a good 2 more months worth of use before I need to go buy another. If you have sensitive skin that is prone to acne, I think that this product is a great option to try!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 8:11:00 AM More reviews by alisha546

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser! I have acne prone skin and while it is good for my skin I think it would work for all skin types unless you have dry skin. In that case I would go with the moisturizing cleanser. Cerave doesn't test on animals and is easy to find. It removes makeup fairly well. I always used an acne cleanser but once I realized that it didn't matter because the salicylic acid (in most cases) isn't on your skin long enough to do anything, I switched over. I'm not saying this is the only good one, but it can be more difficult to find cruelty free products at the drug store that are readily available and you don't have to hunt for. I have tried other cleansers but keep coming back to this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by ariellelh7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I read so many great things about cerave and this cleanser in particular so I had to try it. While it takes off makeup better than anything I have ever tried yet it is so drying that I can no longer use it on my face. When I apply foundation with my hands I use this cleanser as a hand wash after to get the makeup off so it's not a total waste. But wow I have combo skin and after I washed my face with this my skin was so tight and squeaky it actually hurt. Might work if your skin is oily all over

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by AmCam28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on my fourth bottle and find it's as good as my other favorite cleanser, Olay Foaming Face Wash- Sensitive. Olay is more moisturizing, so it's better in cooler weather. Both of these cleansers work well with my oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin.

Cerave's Foaming Facial Cleanser seems to fill all my skin's needs. It removes light makeup (concealer, blush, powder) easily. This cleanser works well with my Clarisonic.

Pros: generous amount, affordable, easily available, doesn't dry out skin or make it more oily, doesn't break skin out, doesn't make skin feel more sensitive, fragrance-free
Cons: In the depths of winter, this can dry my skin. It's perfect for my skin most of the year.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by surfplum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a good, basic cleanser. I definitely like it better than Cetaphil because it does a better job of keeping breakouts at bay. My derm recommended this (specifically the foaming cleanser, not the regular Cerave cleanser) for breakouts on my body and face. It doesn't do anything special when it comes to anti-aging, fine lines, etc. For me, it works best when I pair it with a light moisturizer, otherwise it can be slightly drying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I had a horrible reaction to a sunscreen about 4.5 months agoÖ I got a whole lot of white heads all over my face that slowly turned into cystic acne. Luckily, I bought this Cleanser before it got too bad. I was able to stop the cystic acne on most of my face, with the exception of my jaw line and chin.

I have sensitive acne prone combo skin that leans to the dry side. I read the reviews on here before I bought it, so I already knew it could cause some dryness. Iím not going to lower itís rating for that. I wanted to clear up my acne more than anything else, and this stuff really helped but Iíll be buying the Hydrating version next time. This is not a product for anyone with skin that dries out easily.

The consistency is nice. Itís not too watery and lathers very well. You donít need a ton of product to get your face clean. HOWEVER, it does not remove makeup well at all. I use Grandpaís Thylox Sulfur Acne Treatment Soap Bar to remove any makeup I have on before I wash my face with this, and the combo works great. If I didnít have a good way to remove my makeup already I donít think I would like this product as much as I do.