November 1, 2014 | 940 users online

Hair Treatments - Garnier - Blow Dry Perfector

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 3:17:00 PM More reviews by used2Baileendq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT.

A friend used it who *had* bra strap length hair that had been colored two months ago. I wish she had asked me first! She now has a chin length bob because of the damage! Here is the warning label for the product:

Warnings:
Important - Read Before Purchasing: Do not use on hair that is damaged. Due to chemical processes such as bleaching, highlighting, relaxing with lye or no-lye. Do not use on hair that is breaking, splitting or otherwise damaged. Do not use if you have already had a reaction to this product. Do not use if you have an irritated or damaged scalp. Do not use on relaxed hair. Wait at least 14 days after coloring, bleaching, highlighting, or perming before using this product. Read and follow instruction sheet completely before using. Instruction sheet contains important safety information. Wear gloves provided in kit. **This product contains cysteine.** Avoid contact with eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately ant thoroughly with water and consult a doctor.

WHY do they add that the product contains cysteine (an amino acid) in the warning?

I suspect that the cysteine, which is SECOND on the list of ingredients, and therefore in a higher concentration, somehow breaks the keratin bonds in the hair (of which cysteine is a major component), because of the *additional* cysteine..

I Googled it, and this is the answer I found:

Keratin is difficult to dissolve, because it contains cysteine disulfide, which means that it is able to form disulfide bridges. These disulfide bridges create a helix shape that is extremely strong, as sulfur atoms bond to each other from across the helix, creating a fibrous matrix which is not readily soluble. Depending on how much cysteine disulfide keratin contains, the bond can be extremely strong to make hard cells like those found in hooves, or it can be softer to make flexible keratin like hair and skin. Because of the high levels of sulfur in keratin, when it is burned it emits a distinct sulfurous odor which some people find distasteful.

Although I am no chemist, this, to me, explains the awful smell people have described, as well as the damage.

STAY AWAY!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by bluemamka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this to try from bzzagent. Mixed feelings. First of all, I have thick, wavy, frizz prone hair - that takes about a day and a half to blow dry (slight exaggeration?).
I read and followed the instructions exactly. I was expecting a horrid smell, but it actually was pretty tolerable. Not as bad as some home hair colors. When I went to rinse the first step out (the serum) , my hair felt really gummy and I got a sinking feeling - a bunch of it also fell out in the shower. I slathered the perfect-it cream into my hair, hoping that would help. Combined with the leftover smell from the serum, it left a sort of flowery scent that stuck in my hair for days - I actually liked it. After that first blow dry, my hair was still pretty gummy and shedding and I wasn't feeling optimistic. It wasn't until after the next shampoo and blow dry that I got the sleek, shiny results. My hair made it out alive, and it cut my drying time WAY down for the rest of the week. I loved being able to wash my hair whenever I wanted without planning ahead for blow dry time, with the result of soft and smooth hair all day - however the initial gummy breakage part really scares me - so I am honestly not sure if I want to chance it again - If I ever do, I'll be sure to come update. Not sure how helpful this is, but that's my honest review and love/hate experience.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2010 5:18:00 PM More reviews by karine1111

I registered to makeupalley today just so I can review this product. Funny thing is this product sat in my bathroom for 2 weeks before I used it because I had a bad feeling. Finally yesterday I decided to use it and as soon as I smelled that horrible smell as I was putting the first product in my hair I just knew that what I had done was not good. So during the 20 minutes wait time I went on the internet to find some reviews on the product something I should obviously have done before. The color in my hair is ALL gone. Now it looks like I bleached my hair with box dye. My hair is hard to manage and so much has broken off. I ran my hand through my hair and my hand got stuck and took some hair with it. It didn't do anything good trust me. I would have paid triple the price of this product just to have the knowlege that I have now then. I don't want my money back I just want my hair back.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2010 11:07:00 AM More reviews by shadedballroom

I signed up today just to review this product. When I first bought this product, I checked around the net and could not find any reviews so I didn't give it a 2nd thought. I should have waited. I have extremely porous curls that are dyed brown with bright red highlights. When I rinsed this product out, I could see the color coming out in the water. My hair not just turned a weird multifaceted color of blonde but the ends are ruined. My hair has always been extremely healthy and I take very good care of it. I was finally able to get an appt Saturday after 2 weeks of living with stiff straw, two toned hair that won’t curl in the front anymore. I keep my hair short as is and I am so worried that I am going to have to cut it to my ears to deal with the dead ends. If there is a class action lawsuit for this I want in. I can already tell this is going to cost me well over $200 to get fixed not to mention the pain of losing my hair. Do not buy this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2010 9:27:00 AM More reviews by ErinLM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product stinks, literally and figuratively. I used it according to directions on my naturally curly hair. The most immediately disturbing effect was how badly it reeked for several shampoos. The greater concern is that after three weeks--despite the claim that hair can be worn curly by merely scrunching while the product lasts for up to seven shampoos--my hair is limp and dull. Scrunching only creates fuzzy, uneven waves. Now, I feel forced to blow dry and iron, despite the growing damage of doing so daily. I saw someone recently whom I hadn't seen since before using the product and she asked what was going on with my hair. When I asked her to describe it, she said it looks dirty and frizzy. I called Garnier and after sitting on hold too long was told to call back in another week if my hair hasn't returned to normal. I doubt there is any chance of that. I am so sorry I used this product! I strongly recommend you don't consider it. I cannot believe this got to market.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/28/2010 2:48:00 PM More reviews by lizzyg517

I received this product through a Bzz Campaign since I am a Bzz Agent and received this to sample. I was so excited to hear about this product. I have thick curly color treated hair. I normally just blow dry my hair and flat iron it and my hair gets pretty straight, but I wanted to try something that didnt damage my hair and gave me less blow dry time. After using this product my ends are fried and frizzy. My hair was in better condition before and also it is so difficult to blow dry. There is a coating on my hair which makes it very difficult to blow dry. I wish I would of never used this product. So I guess I will just continue to just flat iron my hair instead. I cant believe this actually worked on anyone. I guess you have to have almost virgin hair for it not to damage it. I dont recommend this product to anyone that has colored hair or highlighted hair like mine.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2010 7:39:00 AM More reviews by grace7000

I cannot believe I didn't read reviews before using this. I started using at 5:30 in the morning thinking it would just be a gloss sealant like some of the other products out there. I noticed the strong chemical smell after I had already started applying the product and wasn't in a position to check the online reviews not to mention I didn't think stopping at that point was an option so I kept moving forward against my better judgement. It wasn't that bad day one but I was still very worried that the first product stripped my hair and that the second product was a sealant that when washed away would leave me with the stripped hair. I just washed a second time today and after I started drying for a few minutes realized clumps of hair were becoming what seemed like glued together. I had to quit blowdrying and now my hair is a dry frizzy mess that is much worse than anything I had before using this product. I would like to know from those of you that are about two weeks out - am I correct in thinking that this nightmare will just get worse when the second product washes out? Did the first product completely strip my hair?

If there are any class action suits please contact me. I fear my hair is ruined and I am definitely not a short hair person. I would have to get extensions or something if I have to cut it all off.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by productjunkie33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thankfully, I didn't have the horrible experiences others did with this product. It was easy to use and did make my hair more manageable and smooth. The reason I wouldn't buy it again is the god-awful smell. I had to shampoo twice almost immediately to get rid of it. What a waste if it only works for seven shampoos.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2010 4:48:00 PM More reviews by kellir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Not only did this cruddy product NOT deliver shiny, glossy, more manageable hair....It made my hair dry, frizzy, and almost sticky. I have fairly dry wavy hair that I rarely flat iron or blowdry, but now I HAVE TO! otherwise my hair is a complete haystack! I normally don't wash my hair every day, but I have been washing it every day so that I can get all this stupid crap outta my hair for good! I can't believe they can get away with putting this on the market! I see no value in it at all!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by tmjm3714

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my Lord, I am *so* glad I came here and read the reviews on this crap before I bought it! You guys have saved my processed but not damaged below chest length hair...both me and the hubby would have cried if I had to cut it off :(

I wanted to suggest to all of you that have had your hair fried by this stuff to look into either Aphogee or Joico K-Pak, the Aphogee has a two-step protein treatment and the K-Pak has a reconstructing mask that I think would help. I find the Aphogee at Sally Beauty and the K-pak at Trade Secret and Ulta. Hopefully this will help keep you from having to cut off all the damage.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No