September 23, 2014 | 927 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Pure Pressed Base

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 12:46:00 PM More reviews by laurendaugherty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is very expensive in my opinion ($50-$55), but totally worth it. Great for sensitive skin. Stays on all day, and somehow looks better towards the end of the day than it does at the beginning. I've found that it looks much better and more even when applied with a fat makeup brush than with the little compact puff it comes with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by stillhot

I had never heard of JI until I saw someone wearing it, and was taken with how beautiful their skin looked. Although this is marketed as a full out foundation, (which would be perfect for younger skin than mine) I use it as a finishing powder. It keeps my Chanel foundation perfect until I take it off; indeed my skin looks the same at night as it did in the a.m. Which is a good or bad thing, depending on the lighting!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Mineral powder foundation (no bismuth oxychloride for those interested) that also provides a tested SPF 20 coverage. Active sunscreen ingredients are 14% Titanium Oxide and 3% Zinc Oxide

INGREDIENTS:Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 14%, Zinc Oxide 3%. Ingredients: Mica, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines, Chromium Oxide Greens.

HOW DOES IT PERFORM? I'm a guy so I am approaching this product from a different perspective and using it for different needs than the average makeup wearer. For me, this product succeeds at covering redness and blotchy, uneven skin tone resulting from seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea. It also, when applied with either the Jane Iredale Handi Brush or a standard kabuki brush, provides coverage that is imperceptible to others which is critical for me as I am not interested in looking like I am wearing makeup. I wear this product over a very light hydrating toner and find that it does not overly dry out my oily/combination skin even in cooler weather. I would imagine in serious cold (below 32 F / 0 C) one would want to apply some sort of oil or cream to lock in moisture as this powder certainly will not add moisture. I use Avene Water Spray or any other available thermal water spray (you could use rosewater for example) to "set" the powder so it does not appear cakey.

The packaging is in the form of a metal compact (I would prefer something more discreet but...) that can be refilled which is excellent in my opinion, given my concerns for the environment and avoidance of wasteful packaging. The metal compact can also be recycled should you decide to no longer use the product.

WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Absolutely. This protects my skin from the sun adequately for everyday exposure at work or on days when I am not spending significant time outside and applies evently and imperceptibly which prevents me from looking like a drag queen or tranny mess (no offence to those who are either - it takes all kinds)

PRICE: $57 CAD for compact + product, $47 CAD for refills. Prices 5-7 dollars cheaper for Americans. Product should last several months even with daily use

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2011 5:04:00 AM More reviews by 2010jesslee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a JI's fan and I use lots of their products. I want to love this product but I really don't know why this product make my face so shiny after 2-3hours. I have applied it in so many different ways: different primer, different finishing powder and brushes etc... I have even put on JI beyond Matte powder and it is still the same, their Absence didn't help either.
This powder really gives good coverage at the beginning but the powder slide off when my face was getting more and more oily. I have oily acne prone skin that's why I want to go for mineral skin care. Besides, I have to say under sunlight it looks not so pretty, but at night time it does like Great under light bulb (yellowish light). I guess because of the light reflective ingredients from the powder? but I want to look great under natural light too :-(
Also algae extract is actually a Pore clogging agent, I search it on the net and it has the highest ranking. Most of the time, after the day I use this powder I got small pimples, the one has a white heads in it. I also think that it is too fast to finish one pan, it is not a cheap product so every 2 months need to get a refill.
So, I think if you have normal or dry skin, or more mature skin, this product will look great on u, i suppose your face will look 'dewy' and not greasy, and moisturizing too. For oily skin friends, I am afraid u need a good oil control primer and finishing powder to stay away from the shine.
I hope in the future, JI can have a better formulation for foundation to help people oily like mine, ...

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 4:43:00 PM More reviews by xcheck

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder gives me a very natural look. It will not sit in your pores like a liquid foundation. It covers redness beautifully; it is magic. I use the Handi Brush, which is an amazing brush for application. It helps to use a spray to set the powder, I use both the Jane Iredale spray and also another herbal tonic. Both work great. The price is high but the powder lasts a bit longer than liquid foundation. The only slight issue I can comment on besides the high price is that during the winter, sometimes powder can be difficult to wear on dry skin. That, however, is a moisturizing problem, not related to the product. This is one of the best powder foundations on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 12:33:00 PM More reviews by woodenshoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I absolutely love this foundation. I prefer the Pressed Base because it it is easy to apply without creating a mess.

My skin is extremely oily and prone to breakouts and this foundation has a visible positive effect on my skin. It comes in a wide range of colors which made it easy for me to pick the perfect color for my skintone.

It is very important to use the Jane Iredale handi brush or the Jane Iredale flocked sponge to apply it. Other brushes just don�t have the same effect when it comes to coverage, blending and creating a natural effect.

I take one lippie of for the price since it's almost unaffordable when you are on a tight budget like me, but that doesn't stop me from buying it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by miraclemirror

i am sensitive to this product which I am not certain why..
I am letting go of this product. Interested can message me...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 9:52:00 AM More reviews by lipglossraider

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

ive bought this in a golden glow shade. first day trying it. i liked the coverage it gives me-it gives about light to medium coverage. it feels natural and light. the colour goes on really well and lasts all day specially with the handi brush. i get an oily T-zone by the end of they day i look very shiny, but with this powder its stopped that happening which im happy about! will keep using this...feels of great quality too!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 7:07:00 PM More reviews by doreenk

I am usually not a fan of powder/pressed powder foundation as I found that they are too dry for my dehydrated skin. They accentuate dry patches and look powdery. However, this product changes my mind. Thanks to my friend who recommended this to me. I use shade Natural. This is very light weight and comfortable to wear. I dont feel/look like wearing anything yet it gives me a more even and radiant complexion for the whole day. I come back home after a day of work with my face still looking nice and fresh. The coverage is sheer to medium. I use this with Jane Iredale Handi brush which works wonders and set it with my facial spray. That seals the foundation perfectly on my skin. I must stress that a good brush is necessary to obtain a beautiful canvas. Before I got myself the Handi brush, I used it with my kabuki brush and it looked awful. The sponge that comes with the compact is good for a quick touch-up if necessary. I gently dab it on the areas that required attention i.e. T-Zone, then am good to go again. This is now my go-to foundation on days when I feel like not having too much on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2011 12:13:00 PM More reviews by msroser

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My dermatologist recommended I try this as a product that would not exacerbate my recalcitrant acne. Yes, I am 46 and have both wrinkles AND acne. The joy!

I've been using it daily for about three months now. The powder goes on beautifully, covers well without having to cake it on, and stays on all day. There is some transfer to my phone, and to my horror, to the lapel of a colleague's suit when he gave me a hug.

To the credit of Jane Iredale, this product does not appear to have made me break out. I still get a cyst or to at that time of the month, but it seems unrelated to my use of this product.

My real negative on this is the slight sheen it imparts. I'm not a fan. I know some people like that, and if you do, this might be the perfect foundation for you. But I don't like it, and I wish I could get this kind of gentle, complete coverage without it.

I just saw photos of myself from an evening event, taken using flash, and my face appears to be glowing like I just disembarked from an alien space ship.

Not the pretty, polished look I was going for, to say the least.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No