November 22, 2014 | 1461 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Lojona

I absolutely LOVE Lucy Minerals. The formulation is unique-unlike any other loose powder mineral foundation out there. You start out with a light touch with a small amount of product and build up from there. You need to give it a couple of minutes between each layer as the product warms and melts into your skin. I use the Lucy Flat Top Buffet, but sometimes I use my Everyday Minerals Kabuki for a light, more buildable amount. Plus, there Customer Service is 5 Star. The only drawback for me is the limited number of colors. My closest match is Shell Beige but it is a bit too warm for me as my skin can best be described as a light olive with yellow undertones. (The Olives are too green).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I heard about this brand through the green board and what a great find. My HG is Becca, but at $40 a pop for such a small quantity; I go through it quickly and it adds up.

Lucy Minerals is nothing like Becca, but I like it very much too. This is a unique product. Creamy is the best description. LM is heavier coverage, so it's very easy to overdo it. You need about half of that you normally use with other MMU. I use a skunk brush vs. a minerals brush or a full fluffy brush in order to pick up less pigment.

My skin is dry and selected the original formula with the added antioxidants – which is a huge plus in my book. They have 2 oil control formulas and foundation without the added AOX. You can purchase *try me* size before investing in a full size jar. Full size was only $14 - very inexpensive.

The color range is decent. They do make custom mixes upon request at no extra charge. I am close to NC25 but with less yellow. I ordered several samples and I am between cream and creamy bisque. I bought a full size of creamy bisque although it is a smidge darker than my tone. Next time I may have them make me a custom mix.

The foundation comes in a jar which has a sifter you can close (like Laura Mercier). LM does not contain bismuth oxychloride, which irritates my skin to no end. Also, does not have parabens, talc, fragrance, preservatives or petroleum products :)

Best of all I love being able to support small indie brand that is cruelty free

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by shadesofyellow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation - I'm on my third jar. I've gone through a bunch of other brands:
- MAC Studio Fix - Used this for over ten years but it would slide of my face by the end of the day and get oily/cakey around my nose
- BE (gave me cystic acne and the color wasn't a great match for me),
- Meow (Pampered Puss looked fantastic but didn't give me the coverage I wanted, Flawless Feline turned cakey on me),
- Adorned with Grace (another good one with better oil control than LM but again, not enough coverage
-Silk Naturals - decent coverage but looked cakey on me
Lucy has great coverage, and it doesn't take a lot of product to get there. I couldn't find a perfect match so I buy Snow White and use Silk Naturals pigments to mix my own. Also, you do want to use LM's Finishing Powder - I've tried other finishing powders but LM's won't take away from the coverage. This doesn't have the best oil control (I'll be trying the OCC version soon) but I blot with J&J blotting sheets and it looks fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by ThisOldSoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been a devoted (as in buying it for friends as well) user of Meow cosmetics for a while, but I noticed in the past few months that my skin needed more coverage and I just couldn't do it with the formula I was using (Pampered Puss). I then switched to Meow's Flawless Feline, which just went on cakey and looked bad. So, hearing good things about Lucy Minerals, I explored their website extensively and decided to order samples of the original formula. The color that most matches my skin-tone is Pale Olive, although it could stand to be a little lighter to be a perfect match on me (this is where Meow excelled - I NEVER had a problem finding the perfect shade!).

Color aside, as a review for the foundation itself, this stuff ROCKS! First off, the samples come in sifter jars, which means you can use a very little at a time while trying it out (this makes all the difference - less is MORE with this foundation!), which is a nice change from the typical baggie sample.

What I do is the following: wash my face with Cetaphil, moisturize, apply primer (I use Monistat Chafing Gel), dispense a SMALL amount of foundation into a bowl, swirl my flat top brush from EDM, then STIPPLE the foundation on. I find that by stippling, I can easily avoid putting too much on one area and keep it from becoming cakey. After stippling, I very gently use the brush to blend it by brushing downwards (I do not buff in circles). Doing this I get extremely natural looking coverage while also getting the additional color/coverage that I was missing with Meow. Oil control is minimal with the original formula and I was a bit shiny after 4-5 hours. Also, the foundation looks crazy dark when you dispense it, but actually goes on very light, although if you are super pale like myself you will probably want to get the "Snow White" shade as well when you order samples so you can adjust colors as needed -- I wish I had done that. Finally, I did this by accident, but to see how water-resistant this foundation is all you have to do is rub some onto your fingers and then try to wash it off using water only -- the stuff does not budge!

Final verdict: this MM is unlike any I have tried before, and the natural and complete coverage it gives is better than any makeup I have ever used, period. I wish there was a lighter olive/golden color available, but you can also request custom colors based on the ones they have now, so I might order the Snow White and get my mix on before buying a full sized foundation. Overall, count me impressed!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Olive tan....oil control formula. It covers soo well I use this as a concealer. I still use Pur minerals in Light Tan for my whole face. The two work perfectly together for me. I tried Korres rose foundation in Tan, but the color was soo off my skintone. Terra Firma's shades disappointed as well, as did Jane Iredale which covered nothing...ugh!

After trying the sample jar, I felt confident buying the larger and feel like nothing else out there will match my skin as well or give it the insane coverage this one does. It's perfect. The jar is a little ugly, but I can live with that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeUp14326

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Maybe I'm just applying it wrong, but I cannot seem to get this foundation to look right! It is rather creamy for a powder, so it's hard to blend it evenly across my face. It settles in places and looks patchy, cakey, and weird. I'm going to keep trying to work with it, since everyone else seems to have such success with it. It's not the absolute worst foundation I've ever tried, but it's far from the best, and if I can't learn how to make it look any better, I'm giving up on it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2012 11:38:00 AM More reviews by betel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best mineral makeup I have ever come across! I have tried BE(no staying power), Merle Norman(I still like but doesnt have nearly the same coverage)Joppa, Everyday Minerals, Mary Kay, Artistry, Silk Naturals, etc. I love the way it looks even without finishing powder and it does control oil for me for about 4 hours which is pretty good since I am very oily. I do have to retouch because it kind of pools by the very end of the day but minimal if I exfoliate twice a week. I got my mom hooked on it too and she loves, she and i have noticed that our complexion and skin clarity has improved vastly either by this makeup or by the Ambrosia oil from Lucy or both! This can be either medium or full coverage depending on application and brush used. I have never looked so flawless. All the great additions like antioxidants and antibacterials are a bonus. This is definitely HG Material!
This is great for fall and winter but will not hold up to my oily skin in the summer so I have switched to Merle Norman's Aqua Balancing and the Lasting Foundation which are awesome. Will probably try again with this in fall and winter.
I changed my rating back to a five lippie because it is hot here and it holds up great! I have hormone issues and this does not aggravate my skin at all. I figured out that my skin was overproducing oil and no makeup in the world would hold up now its under control and as far as colors go they might not have a lot of colors but the undertones are spot on and I am a wierd mix of yellow tan olive but they can mix so I have the perfect color
* Edit* I had to take off a lippie it caused me breakouts. If you want coverage this is it but for me I cant use it also caused me to feel itchy so maybe I m allergic to something in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by moniquez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love Lucy's minerals!!!! I have both the original formula and the Lucy Light formula. I started using the Lucy Light formula and liked it so much, I haven't given the original formula a fair shake. Anyhow, this review is going to be mostly for Lucy light, which is about the purest mineral makeup you can use on your skin.

I used to wear Everyday Minerals Intensive, but discontinued it because the color (I wore Multitasking Neutral) never seemed quite right (which wasn't a major issue, just a small niggling 'is there something better' out there?' thing) then they started messing with the formula. I kind of went off the company as a result and tried Lucy's and I could not be happier.

I wore Lucy's on my wedding day. The coverage was fantastic and lasted through the ceremony, a two hour open-top bus tour, dinner, and dancing. I started getting a little shiny about 9 hours after application. On the average workday, it will take me straight through with a few touchups that probably aren't necessary. As everyone mentioned, the makeup has a really creamy look to it that makes it a clear winner to the other mineral makeup out there. It doesn't look like a powder finish, which is pretty awesome.

Oftentimes, when I'm late and running for the train, I get a little sweaty. Sometimes EDM would streak on me, Lucy's has yet to do so. (Actually, two weeks ago, I was literally dripping with sweat. After a few dabs with a tissue and cooling off on the journey, I arrived to work with my makeup looking fabulous....no touch-ups required!)

The only thing I'm a bit meh about is the packaging. I do really like the flat round jars of EDM, and this is a taller narrower jar. The inside lid is lined, which---combined with its small size--makes it less than idea to dip a brush in and kind of clunky to boot. I suppose this cuts down on the potential of contamination though. Picking up on a tip on Lucy's webpage, I've started using a small tupperware jar to dip my brush in. I've actually found it works out better in the fact that my brush is evenly coated.

The customer service is completely unparalled. Absolutely fantastic! My dad is a small business owner, and I love supporting small businesses. It's easy to do when they make great products and have a passion for what they do.

For reference, I am NC20, EDM Multitasking Neutral (closest match)and wear Bisque.

UPDATE 1 YR LATER: Still using *LUCY LIGHT* and still absolutely LOVING it. I've tried the original formula, and just don't like it as much as the light forumula--it's a little too 'rich' and with the creaminess of it, I just find it a bit difficult to apply as a result.
Try the light formula!!!! It's the way forward!!! I swear the zinc in this must be helping my skin somehow. When I wear it everyday, I don't break out. (It might also be because when I'm wearing makeup, I probably touch my face less. Either way, it works, and I don't really care why. For that reason, I wear it even when I'm hanging around the house.) :) Oh, I also use EDM Kabuki brush to apply it, which I would also recommend.

p.s. Do be careful with the packaging, it's still the only thing I'm not entirely happy with. My jar got knocked around a little too much and the entire sifter came out! I ended up dumping the whole jar into my tupperware container, oops!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Despite a terrible impression of mineral makeup [cough cough BE], this is wonderful and blows everything out of the water! Because my skin is dry AND dehydrated [mostly dehydrated, less dry than it used to be; doesn't flake but does catch all powder, and thanks to acne clogged pores and mother nature, has a very uneven texture, all further accentuated no matter WHAT I put on my face]. I believe the best method for application is the following:

moisturize. conceal spots/blemishes with a small brush. apply THIN layer by stippling and blending. ta da! Like any other powder, this looks cakey when overdone - and being a heavy foundation, it is very easy to overdo.

I'm South Asian and a fair-medium-ish olive toned, and seem to switch between warm and cool undertones. I match well to MUFE HD 120 and MUFE face and body 20. I am closest to the LM shade Creamy Olive. Because it's so highly pigmented, a little does go a long way - as long as you're buffing and blending.

Edit May 17 2012: I wanted to share one thing today that really stunned me. I put the two fdtn shades on my hand to try and compare in different lightings [I have gotten many, many, MANYYY applications out of these tiny sample jars ...count me impressed]. For all that these look like matte powders with a soft, satin skinfinish; for all that they look matte in the jar, matte on the skin, matte in artificial lighting, matte in direct natural lighting [no sun] ...the moment you take it out in direct sunlight, GLITTER OVERLOAD!! Where on earth did it come from?! I never saw it before! I mean, it's microfine but there is PLENTY of it; it's not chunky, but I am stunned at how I never saw it before. I literally only see it in DIRECT sunlight. Outside in the "shade" or inside in direct bright lighting by the window, it looks matte again with nary a hint of sparkle. What a bizarre surprise.

EDIT July 5, 2012
During a BOGO sale, I ordered two foundations, a finishing powder and a brush [finally! I had been waiting to justify a purchase, and this was the perfect excuse]. I accidentally received an incorrect shade, and Annie immediately emailed me back to let me know she would send the correct one and I could keep the other. Absolutely wonderful customer service! That alone, nevermind the wonderful pricing, quality product, and constant deals/freebies, is enough to keep me buying. I truly think she deserves to market this as a high end product [which it is] commercially. It is worth several times its price [but my idea of 'worth' might be skewed by artificially inflated goods lol]. This should definitely be in Sephora with its own display and a cute little placard telling its story.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

My very sensitive skin doesn't like this foundation - I have tried it at several occasions (about 10 times) and every time I wore it fore more than one day, I got giant cystic pimples. Last time I tried it, I had nearly perfect skin, and now I have to get rid of hyperpigmentation again... And normally, I don't get cystic pimples. This foundation gave me such a bad pimple, that an area of about an inch in diameter was affected, and now I have a scar...
I bought this when I was NC20 in MAC. I have an olive undertone, so the MAC's foundation was a bit too orange for me. The colour I got was Creamy Olive, which suited me PERFECTLY. I have NEVER come across any foundations that has such a good range of undertones! This oxidises a bit during the day though, which I don't like...it seems to get a bit more orange.
At the time I bought this, I had combination normal-oily skin (which later became dry because of Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua), s I have tried this ut on several skin types, you can say. I really don't like the finish of the foundation: it's almost... metallic while still being matte. My oils break through the foundation within an hour. One thing that really annoyed me was that, like all mineral foundations, I believe, this too accentuated pores. My pores are actually small and I almost never get blackheads, but this foundation made me look like I had big pores.
Next thing: I don't like the feel of this mineral makeup - I actually can feel it on my face better than liquids. Although everyone says minerals let your skin breathe and everything, I feel hot and sweaty under it... I have dry skin and minerals sometimes make my oily - can't be good. Even if I applied with a fluffy brush and only put on a little, it still had this effect.
Good thing: this is excellent at covering redness, so this is very good for people that don't have problems with zits or scars, but mainly redness - for people that usually like to use powders to even out their skin tone and hide their redness, this will be excellent, as long as you are NOT sensitive.
As all powders, this too transfers. It is especially nasty when I get a little oily - it then begins to feel like clay on my face.
So, would I recommend? I feel that if the texture of your skin is uneven, this may not be a good idea. If you have hyperpigmentation, this will probably be good. If you have a pretty even skin tone, but your problem is redness, go ahead and try this. If you have oily skin, try the powder-foundation for oily skin, because your oils are going to make this one circle your pores quite fast. I wouldn't recommend this if you want a lot of coverage - it's possible to cover almost anything with it, but I think this then becomes a bit too obvious and you may feel hot under it. Do NOT BUY if you have sensitive skin!!!