December 22, 2014 | 1836 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Sunnydelite62901

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this, I brought this in golden medium, yellow yes, but not as yellow as the bare minerals golden medium. On me the B.E one looks banana yellow. The coverage is nice. I like the shifter, its much more convenient then a container that has no shifter. I got a sample of the rich coco eye shadow I always use primer- but I must say the color is very nice very pigmented. I have been using my beauty blender sponge with this foundation. I gave the packaging a 3 because Mineral foundations are always so messy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

I lovelovelove Lucy Minerals!! I recently got back into a mineral makeup mood and went ahead and placed a huge order for Everyday Minerals. I had used their stuff before and loved it, but BOY was I disappointed! My favorite formula, Intensive, was discontinued and their Semi-Matte formula was lacking coverage. So my search continued... until I came across a small independent brand called Lucy Minerals! I ordered sample sizes of OCC Creamy Bisque, OCC Creamy Olive, OCS Light Medium, and Snow White. Creamy Bisque and Creamy Olive both fit my NC30 skin reasonably well, but I decided to use a 50/50 blend of the two because Creamy Bisque was a bit too yellow while Creamy Olive was a tad green. Light Medium was wayyy too pink for me. The OCC formula is great! My combination skin gets a little shinny around 6-7 hours, but it's more of a glow than an oil slick. I can't say much about the other 3 formulas, but if you have oily skin I highly suggest their oil control formulas!

Application can be a little tricky since the texture of the product is so different from other mineral foundations. I use a very light hand to get a TINY amount on my EDM flat top brush and stipple it on my face. I apply a single light layer first, then go and move on to my eye makeup. By the time I'm done, the foundation seems to have melted into my skin and, if needed, I apply a second light layer. I find this method gives me full coverage. If there are any small spots sticking out, I just take a stiff concealer brush and pat a little bit of powder on it. That's it! The first few times I wore this I made the mistake of not waiting after the first layer, and my face looked super cakey and fake.

Beside the product itself, I absolutely admire the company for their customer service. Shipping was very prompt and reasonably priced, and my package even came with a free eyeshadow sample and a hand written thank you note! Thank you so much Annie (and company) and I will definitely repurchase!!

**EDIT**
So sad to have to knock this down to a 2, but my skin just seems to react badly to this periodically. Somedays it works great, other days it causes me to break out. Once it caused part of my face to burn badly. At first I wasn't sure whether or not it was this foundation but after finding a regular cleansing routine and keeping the rest of my makeup the same, I am almost positive this is what is causing the reactions.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Lojona

I absolutely LOVE Lucy Minerals. The formulation is unique-unlike any other loose powder mineral foundation out there. You start out with a light touch with a small amount of product and build up from there. You need to give it a couple of minutes between each layer as the product warms and melts into your skin. I use the Lucy Flat Top Buffet, but sometimes I use my Everyday Minerals Kabuki for a light, more buildable amount. Plus, there Customer Service is 5 Star. The only drawback for me is the limited number of colors. My closest match is Shell Beige but it is a bit too warm for me as my skin can best be described as a light olive with yellow undertones. (The Olives are too green).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I heard about this brand through the green board and what a great find. My HG is Becca, but at $40 a pop for such a small quantity; I go through it quickly and it adds up.

Lucy Minerals is nothing like Becca, but I like it very much too. This is a unique product. Creamy is the best description. LM is heavier coverage, so it's very easy to overdo it. You need about half of that you normally use with other MMU. I use a skunk brush vs. a minerals brush or a full fluffy brush in order to pick up less pigment.

My skin is dry and selected the original formula with the added antioxidants – which is a huge plus in my book. They have 2 oil control formulas and foundation without the added AOX. You can purchase *try me* size before investing in a full size jar. Full size was only $14 - very inexpensive.

The color range is decent. They do make custom mixes upon request at no extra charge. I am close to NC25 but with less yellow. I ordered several samples and I am between cream and creamy bisque. I bought a full size of creamy bisque although it is a smidge darker than my tone. Next time I may have them make me a custom mix.

The foundation comes in a jar which has a sifter you can close (like Laura Mercier). LM does not contain bismuth oxychloride, which irritates my skin to no end. Also, does not have parabens, talc, fragrance, preservatives or petroleum products :)

Best of all I love being able to support small indie brand that is cruelty free

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by shadesofyellow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG foundation - I'm on my third jar. I've gone through a bunch of other brands:
- MAC Studio Fix - Used this for over ten years but it would slide of my face by the end of the day and get oily/cakey around my nose
- BE (gave me cystic acne and the color wasn't a great match for me),
- Meow (Pampered Puss looked fantastic but didn't give me the coverage I wanted, Flawless Feline turned cakey on me),
- Adorned with Grace (another good one with better oil control than LM but again, not enough coverage
-Silk Naturals - decent coverage but looked cakey on me
Lucy has great coverage, and it doesn't take a lot of product to get there. I couldn't find a perfect match so I buy Snow White and use Silk Naturals pigments to mix my own. Also, you do want to use LM's Finishing Powder - I've tried other finishing powders but LM's won't take away from the coverage. This doesn't have the best oil control (I'll be trying the OCC version soon) but I blot with J&J blotting sheets and it looks fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by ThisOldSoul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been a devoted (as in buying it for friends as well) user of Meow cosmetics for a while, but I noticed in the past few months that my skin needed more coverage and I just couldn't do it with the formula I was using (Pampered Puss). I then switched to Meow's Flawless Feline, which just went on cakey and looked bad. So, hearing good things about Lucy Minerals, I explored their website extensively and decided to order samples of the original formula. The color that most matches my skin-tone is Pale Olive, although it could stand to be a little lighter to be a perfect match on me (this is where Meow excelled - I NEVER had a problem finding the perfect shade!).

Color aside, as a review for the foundation itself, this stuff ROCKS! First off, the samples come in sifter jars, which means you can use a very little at a time while trying it out (this makes all the difference - less is MORE with this foundation!), which is a nice change from the typical baggie sample.

What I do is the following: wash my face with Cetaphil, moisturize, apply primer (I use Monistat Chafing Gel), dispense a SMALL amount of foundation into a bowl, swirl my flat top brush from EDM, then STIPPLE the foundation on. I find that by stippling, I can easily avoid putting too much on one area and keep it from becoming cakey. After stippling, I very gently use the brush to blend it by brushing downwards (I do not buff in circles). Doing this I get extremely natural looking coverage while also getting the additional color/coverage that I was missing with Meow. Oil control is minimal with the original formula and I was a bit shiny after 4-5 hours. Also, the foundation looks crazy dark when you dispense it, but actually goes on very light, although if you are super pale like myself you will probably want to get the "Snow White" shade as well when you order samples so you can adjust colors as needed -- I wish I had done that. Finally, I did this by accident, but to see how water-resistant this foundation is all you have to do is rub some onto your fingers and then try to wash it off using water only -- the stuff does not budge!

Final verdict: this MM is unlike any I have tried before, and the natural and complete coverage it gives is better than any makeup I have ever used, period. I wish there was a lighter olive/golden color available, but you can also request custom colors based on the ones they have now, so I might order the Snow White and get my mix on before buying a full sized foundation. Overall, count me impressed!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Olive tan....oil control formula. It covers soo well I use this as a concealer. I still use Pur minerals in Light Tan for my whole face. The two work perfectly together for me. I tried Korres rose foundation in Tan, but the color was soo off my skintone. Terra Firma's shades disappointed as well, as did Jane Iredale which covered nothing...ugh!

After trying the sample jar, I felt confident buying the larger and feel like nothing else out there will match my skin as well or give it the insane coverage this one does. It's perfect. The jar is a little ugly, but I can live with that.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeUp14326

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Maybe I'm just applying it wrong, but I cannot seem to get this foundation to look right! It is rather creamy for a powder, so it's hard to blend it evenly across my face. It settles in places and looks patchy, cakey, and weird. I'm going to keep trying to work with it, since everyone else seems to have such success with it. It's not the absolute worst foundation I've ever tried, but it's far from the best, and if I can't learn how to make it look any better, I'm giving up on it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2012 11:38:00 AM More reviews by betel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best mineral makeup I have ever come across! I have tried BE(no staying power), Merle Norman(I still like but doesnt have nearly the same coverage)Joppa, Everyday Minerals, Mary Kay, Artistry, Silk Naturals, etc. I love the way it looks even without finishing powder and it does control oil for me for about 4 hours which is pretty good since I am very oily. I do have to retouch because it kind of pools by the very end of the day but minimal if I exfoliate twice a week. I got my mom hooked on it too and she loves, she and i have noticed that our complexion and skin clarity has improved vastly either by this makeup or by the Ambrosia oil from Lucy or both! This can be either medium or full coverage depending on application and brush used. I have never looked so flawless. All the great additions like antioxidants and antibacterials are a bonus. This is definitely HG Material!
This is great for fall and winter but will not hold up to my oily skin in the summer so I have switched to Merle Norman's Aqua Balancing and the Lasting Foundation which are awesome. Will probably try again with this in fall and winter.
I changed my rating back to a five lippie because it is hot here and it holds up great! I have hormone issues and this does not aggravate my skin at all. I figured out that my skin was overproducing oil and no makeup in the world would hold up now its under control and as far as colors go they might not have a lot of colors but the undertones are spot on and I am a wierd mix of yellow tan olive but they can mix so I have the perfect color
* Edit* I had to take off a lippie it caused me breakouts. If you want coverage this is it but for me I cant use it also caused me to feel itchy so maybe I m allergic to something in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by moniquez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love Lucy's minerals!!!! I have both the original formula and the Lucy Light formula. I started using the Lucy Light formula and liked it so much, I haven't given the original formula a fair shake. Anyhow, this review is going to be mostly for Lucy light, which is about the purest mineral makeup you can use on your skin.

I used to wear Everyday Minerals Intensive, but discontinued it because the color (I wore Multitasking Neutral) never seemed quite right (which wasn't a major issue, just a small niggling 'is there something better' out there?' thing) then they started messing with the formula. I kind of went off the company as a result and tried Lucy's and I could not be happier.

I wore Lucy's on my wedding day. The coverage was fantastic and lasted through the ceremony, a two hour open-top bus tour, dinner, and dancing. I started getting a little shiny about 9 hours after application. On the average workday, it will take me straight through with a few touchups that probably aren't necessary. As everyone mentioned, the makeup has a really creamy look to it that makes it a clear winner to the other mineral makeup out there. It doesn't look like a powder finish, which is pretty awesome.

Oftentimes, when I'm late and running for the train, I get a little sweaty. Sometimes EDM would streak on me, Lucy's has yet to do so. (Actually, two weeks ago, I was literally dripping with sweat. After a few dabs with a tissue and cooling off on the journey, I arrived to work with my makeup looking fabulous....no touch-ups required!)

The only thing I'm a bit meh about is the packaging. I do really like the flat round jars of EDM, and this is a taller narrower jar. The inside lid is lined, which---combined with its small size--makes it less than idea to dip a brush in and kind of clunky to boot. I suppose this cuts down on the potential of contamination though. Picking up on a tip on Lucy's webpage, I've started using a small tupperware jar to dip my brush in. I've actually found it works out better in the fact that my brush is evenly coated.

The customer service is completely unparalled. Absolutely fantastic! My dad is a small business owner, and I love supporting small businesses. It's easy to do when they make great products and have a passion for what they do.

For reference, I am NC20, EDM Multitasking Neutral (closest match)and wear Bisque.

UPDATE 1 YR LATER: Still using *LUCY LIGHT* and still absolutely LOVING it. I've tried the original formula, and just don't like it as much as the light forumula--it's a little too 'rich' and with the creaminess of it, I just find it a bit difficult to apply as a result.
Try the light formula!!!! It's the way forward!!! I swear the zinc in this must be helping my skin somehow. When I wear it everyday, I don't break out. (It might also be because when I'm wearing makeup, I probably touch my face less. Either way, it works, and I don't really care why. For that reason, I wear it even when I'm hanging around the house.) :) Oh, I also use EDM Kabuki brush to apply it, which I would also recommend.

p.s. Do be careful with the packaging, it's still the only thing I'm not entirely happy with. My jar got knocked around a little too much and the entire sifter came out! I ended up dumping the whole jar into my tupperware container, oops!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No