October 24, 2014 | 1598 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2011 9:29:00 PM More reviews by bluest1199

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this powder because it had an SPF 50. I think that it works OK. It provides very light coverage so I mainly use it as a setting powder. I have found that it can be a little powdery looking if you apply too much reguardless of how much you blend. I think that this is a good powder to have in the summer because of the SPF and if you have really good skin this will give a nice matte finish. However, I have really uneven blochy skin so I have to wear something underneath that gives more coverage. However, I will still be repurchasing this product when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 1:22:00 PM More reviews by neddykapoozle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A little pricy for drugstore m/u, but worth it. This powder is the bomb diggety. I use it to set my TM or foundation, or even on it's own over primer. Lasts relatively well on my oily skin, but I need to touch it up midday.

I use the lightest color and use either a fluffy powder brush or a kabuki. The compact is easy to find with the bright orange and pink packaging. There's normally a coupon stuck right onto the package in the story so you can get it for a little cheaper.

I've used an entire compact up and am on my second one. Good powder to have around.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2011 9:25:00 PM More reviews by wee_moggie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this based on the reviews here. I LOVE THIS STUFF. I have a very fair, olive face, and I have such a tough time finding something that will match. I wasn't sure which color to buy; the Translucent Light looked too light, the Medium looked like it might work, but then again, perhaps the Natural Beige? I bought all three and was surprised to find out that the Light was the one! It goes on darker than it looks, and it goes on even darker if I use my Clinique Super City Block SPF 40 underneath it.

My big issues are controlling oil and a high SPF. I have melasma and it is such a battle! I prefer physical blocks to chemical ones, which is why I like the Clinique one, which has I believe around 14% titanium dioxide. I was astounded to read that this powder has 21% titanium dioxide, plus 3% zinc oxide! Fantastic! Plus, it controls oil better than any powder I've ever used! That's huge for me. You still have to re-apply later in the day, but I expect that from any powder. Plus, as another person mentioned, you do need to re-apply your sunblock, and this is perfect for that. It doesn't look cakey when you put more on.

My only teensy issue is the coverage, but I think that is just a personal thing. It can build to a medium coverage. I've been used to full coverage liquid foundation for years, so this is a considerable change from that. With this powder, I can still see the melasma spots a bit and that bugs me a bit, but I am willing to get used to it because the SPF is so high. My husband loves it and says I look so much better without all the liquid foundation on.

I love that I can use it on its own; my makeup routine is just a few minutes now, because the SPF in it is enough. I will still use the Clinique under it on days when I know I'm going to be in the sun a lot.

So, to summarize:

Pros:

SPF 50! In titanium dioxide!
    Makes my makeup routine fast!
    Controls oil better than any powder I've tried (I've tried lots)
    Packaging has the puff apart from the powder (more sanitary)
    A color that works for me!
    Price is cheap, considering what I was paying for the liquid foundation

Cons:

Not too hip on the orange and pink colors (well, I had to put something in the Cons)

Definitely my HG. It's still hitting me how great this stuff is.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by gankochan

I am allergic to sunscreen--my eyes burn, etc.--and this is one of the few sunscreen products I have used that does not cause my eyes to weep. I purchased the product on a lark, without reading any reviews, and feel as if I struck gold on a budget.

Coverage: Just right, not too much and not too little
    Finished look: A bit dry right after application, but within one-half an hour the look is smooth and even.
    Sunscreen: My eyes don't burn!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 3:29:00 AM More reviews by gloriasolideo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The thing that makes this stufff essential, for me at least, is that you're supposed to reapply sunscreen lotion often--which I never do, for fear of ruining my makeup. With this stuff, I lightly dust it over my face during the day, and--voila--protection!

I buy the stuff for my two daughters, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:03:00 AM More reviews by wildviolet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this foundation. I actually bought it to wear around the house as a sunscreen (I wasn't planning on wearing it in public) because I didn't think the color would look good on me (natural beige). It actually looks scary light in the compact but when I put it on it has the nicest finish and perfect color. I never wear foundation but I have been wearing this product over my sunscreen and am so pleased with how it evens my skintone and it even covers my dark circles. It has great coverage in my opinion and it isn't drying or caking. I plan to buy another as a "back up". I have fair skin, black hair and this gives me the nicest little touch of color so I don't look like Elvira :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 10:16:00 PM More reviews by rimmela

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I do like this, as it has rather full coverage. It CAN look powdery or change color. Needs to be touched up. But I haven't tried it with MOM, so we'll see. Coverage is medium to full, buildable, but I still use concealer. The SPF 50 is a GREAT plus. I might repurchase.

UPDATE: Color leans a little pink but is the right depth. Finishing off with something like Maybelline Shine Free loose powder which is quite yellow offsets it, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by saartjesmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very fair, extremely hard to match skin, and I'm seriously loving this powder. To be honest, I don't have very many issues with my skin, and all I really look for in a foundation is some evening out of my skintone, mild to moderate oil control, and overall just kind of a "finished" look. I was looking for a new powder, and when I saw this on sale and saw that it also had a physical sunscreen, I just had to buy it. I own it in Translucent Light, and it's a perfect match for my super pale skin. It's obviously wonderful in the summer, when I can powder my face to control oil/sweat, and it does double duty as a sunscreen! It gives a lovely, airbrushed look to my skin, and I love knowing that it will prevent me from frying like a shrimp in the sun.

As usual, if you need lots of coverage, don't use only a powder, because it won't be enough. I use a concealer under this to cover up my dark circles when I need to, but aside from that, it's the perfect amount of coverage for me. And to the person who "hit pan" after 5 uses... you're probably using too much. I bought mine in the summer and have used it nearly every day since, and I haven't done that yet. If you've ever used mineral makeup, you won't have a problem with the "feel" of this, it feels almost the same. If you're used to a cream-to-powder, however, it might take some getting used to.

In short, it's a wonderful, all-around product, that is far better in comparison to, say, CG clean powder, which I have also used. I love it, and I'll definitely stock up when it goes on sale again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2010 4:29:00 AM More reviews by 365686

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find it so interesting that other people have compared this product to Diorskin Forever compact because THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING! The Dior compact goes on smoother and finer, but is also hydrating, so I think PF combats my oil a little better. Surprisingly, despite the lack of shades to choose from, PF matches my skin better. My pale, olive skin is VERY hard to match. I think I wear the natural beige in PF and it matches perfectly whether or not I have a tan. The coverage is also buildable and subtle. In the Diorskin, I wear a 3 and it's just a tad off no matter how pale or tan I may be. What I always loved about the Diorskin was the coverage and convenience of the powder foundation. I hate liquid foundations and BareMinerals just doesn't have the coverage that I want. Just like the Dior, I can use a blending brush to buff in the PF foundation and it makes my makeup application process easy and quick. I use the pink sponge to cover the more discolored areas like acne scarring and around the nose. I honestly don't even care about the SPF 50 and could do just as well without it.

To summarize:
    - PF is comparable to Diorskin Forever compact
    - PF has less shade selection, but blends better with my skin
    - Diorskin has smoother application, but cost way more
    - PF works very well for my oily skin type, and is affordable
    - This PF has great coverage
    - The PF compact is totally cute!
    - I will buy this PF compact again, but I kinda wish it wasn't SPF 50

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 3:33:00 PM More reviews by goddring

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is so great for the price. I use the lightest shade and even though it looks too pale in the pan my my skin tone (light-medium), within a few minutes it melds with my skin to look matte and smooth. I have sunspots that are fading nicely now. I have taken to wearing this on most days instead of my more costly foundations. In our hot, sunny Texas climate this wears really well. NO parabens either!! I like the way that the sponge applicator is separated from the powder too. Get it at Ulta using their coupons and it is amazingly cheap!