NARS Loose Powder

4.4

talc, silica, polyethylene, zea mays [zea mays (corn) starch], nylon-66, isopropyl myristate, disodium edta, dimethicone, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, /- may contain : mica, ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides) ci 77891 (titanium dioxide) ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green).

on 10/5/2008 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Ok. I've been using this for a few months now, so I can honestly say it's the best loose powder out there. I've done every brand from Macy's...Mac, Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Fashion Fair, Dermablend...and a few more too. I'm NC50 or NC45 and I wear this in Mountain. I don't use Nars foundation....no reason I just never tried them. However I can wear this powder over any brand foundation and it makes it better. It's not too cakey, doesn't oxidize to funky colors and has a lil extra coverage too. It's knda pricy, but you get a lot of product. I do tend to spill some, but no more than I would with any other powder. I use either my 187, 109, or 183 brush apply and all work wonderful. And for my WOC no ashiness at all from this. The color range doesn't go too dark, but if you shade falls in range try it.

on 10/2/2008 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

After reading the reviews I decided to purchase this. For reference I'm NC45. I bought Mountain. The coverage is good I ended up returning it. It didn't do much, no glow, color has a little more of a yellow undertone

After reading many reviews, I finally (and very recently) switch from a MAC compact powder to NARS loose powder in Eden and so far I quite like it!

I found MAC too dry and powdery on the skin, but the NARS blended right into my skin and gave it a softer complexsion. It doesn't make my skin look airbrush, but the color is definitely more even and suttle. And after a day at work, my face doesn't look too oily or blemishy.

It's a bit on the pricier side ($42 Canadian plus tax) but they give you a generous size portion. The packaging is tricky to use (very prone to spilling out) but I can always move it to another container.

on 9/21/2008 2:04:00 PM

I got this powder a couple weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it. It does a great job of setting the rest of my makeup and controlling shine, but not making my face too matte. I have it in Eden and it's a nice color that tones down redness. It's nice sheer coverage that I layer over my tinted moisturizer, although if I could wear just this alone. I would buy it again, although the amount provided will last a long, long time.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this powder. I am usually a pressed powder girl because I like the coverage they offer as well as the ease of portability. However, lately I have been disappointed with the "cakiness" of my pressed powders and decided to search out for a really great loose one.

Glad to have read all the fantastic reviews on this powder and am pleased to see that the MUAers were right on. This is great stuff. Very finely milled so there is no cakiness whatsoever, even when I reapply later in the day. Does a great job of absorbing excess oilies. I also like that the powders are translucent so that the 6 (5? i'm not sure)color offerings will match with nearly every skin tone out there. I think the only time you'd have a problem is if you're a really pink undertoned gal. I purchased in Beach which is meant for yellow undertoned medium skins and it's perfect.

As others have mentioned, the packaging is super bulky and you cannot travel with it. But that is what a refillable powder brush is for. I do like the puff the powder comes with. Great puff for fuller coverage. I use my own powder brush for lighter coverage. And the sifter it comes with is great and I think every loose powder should have one. And while expensive it is of course a good hunk of powder, so your getting your $ worth, definately.

Keep in mind that coverage is sheer, as is expected with loose powder. If you're skin is not perfect you'll definately need foundation, TM, or concealer to hid imperfections. This is a great setting powder though that integrates the colors and texture seamlessly and just finishes your whole face to soft focus perfection. Highly recommended to those in search of a new/first loose powder.

on 7/7/2008 9:20:00 PM

I am a huge Nars fan. After reading the rave reviews I ran out and picked up the powder in Snow. The quality of the powder is exceptional as is the color selection. It did not oxidize and was pale enough for my fair skin without making me look like snow white. The ingredients however will not be tolerated well by all. If you are unable to wear mineral make up due to bismuth, mica, etc. stay away from this powder. It has it in it and thus irritated my skin terribly and caused breakouts. It is also drying. I swapped it. Total bummer.

on 7/1/2008 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

If you are scared of parabens then look away now, because this powder is full of them. However, if they don't bother you, then this product is a definite must. I bought it after reading all the reviews on here and I'm very satisfied with it. 'Beach' is a perfect colour match for me (NC40), and doesn't turn orange on my skin like other powders I have tried. I can even use this without foundation, as it gives me good enough coverage. My skin is left looking soft, glowing and even. It doesn't leave it sparkly though, as other reviewers have found. It seems expensive, but you get a lot of product, and I can see this lasting me years.
The downside for me is the packaging as it is cumbersome and not that attractive. The powder itself also has a very chemical/industrial smell which may put some people off. I find the powder puff that is included pretty useful though, so try it first before you throw it away.
This is the first loose powder I have used, so I don't know if there are better out there, but I do know that this has become an essential for me, and I won't be going back to pressed powder to set my makeup. EDIT I took my score down by one, as the powder leaked everywhere due to the terrible packaging. NARS, please change the packaging, so many people hate it!

Ingredients : talc, silica, polyethylene, zea mays [zea mays (corn) starch], nylon-66, isopropyl myristate, disodium edta, dimethicone, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, +/- may contain : mica, ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides) ci 77891 (titanium dioxide) ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green).

on 6/29/2008 8:04:00 PM

I have found my HG so far. The powder melts into my skin and keeps away the oilies. The SA matched me perfectly. I will definetly buy this again as soon as I am out, although that may be a while since they give you so much!

on 6/14/2008 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my 1st loose powder, I did my research in reviews and boards to find many good things being said about NARS. Im NC30 in MAC (at the time I was deciding between shades) and was about 75% sure I'd match Beach and 25% debating Eden. Luckily I was able to swap for a container of Beach and it blends into my skin beautifully. I use this whether I have foundation on or not and it never looks or feels like I have any on. Its summer now and I've built up a bit of a tan, but still matches me fine. To use the product and prevent mess/contamination, I just flip the container over (with both sifters inserted!) and I end up with a good amount stuck to the inside of the lid. For touch ups during the day I bought a sifter jar from Sephora for 4$ and use with a retractable brush since the included puff is a bit cumbersome and unsanitary. When it comes to powder products in general I really have to say Mr. Nars knows what he's doing.

on 5/26/2008 9:59:00 AM

For an oily skinned gal, I found this powder mediocre. The finish (in the first half an hour) is beautifully velvety and provides an "air brush" illusion. For my MAC NC25-30/EL DW Light #3/EL DW Sand skin, I found that beach blends in well and doesn't give that "chalky" or "powdery" look that one gets with most loose powders or powder makeup in general. However, I found that this did not control my oil as well as I'd expect it to so therefore, this does not fulfill its function (IMO). For $34, I will not be keeping this and will be returning it to Sephora.

Recommended for Normal Skin