August 22, 2014 | 1921 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Loose Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2008 2:04:00 PM More reviews by Jmorton07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this powder a couple weeks ago and so far, I'm loving it. It does a great job of setting the rest of my makeup and controlling shine, but not making my face too matte. I have it in Eden and it's a nice color that tones down redness. It's nice sheer coverage that I layer over my tinted moisturizer, although if I could wear just this alone. I would buy it again, although the amount provided will last a long, long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by jenniferashton

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this powder. I am usually a pressed powder girl because I like the coverage they offer as well as the ease of portability. However, lately I have been disappointed with the "cakiness" of my pressed powders and decided to search out for a really great loose one.

Glad to have read all the fantastic reviews on this powder and am pleased to see that the MUAers were right on. This is great stuff. Very finely milled so there is no cakiness whatsoever, even when I reapply later in the day. Does a great job of absorbing excess oilies. I also like that the powders are translucent so that the 6 (5? i'm not sure)color offerings will match with nearly every skin tone out there. I think the only time you'd have a problem is if you're a really pink undertoned gal. I purchased in Beach which is meant for yellow undertoned medium skins and it's perfect.

As others have mentioned, the packaging is super bulky and you cannot travel with it. But that is what a refillable powder brush is for. I do like the puff the powder comes with. Great puff for fuller coverage. I use my own powder brush for lighter coverage. And the sifter it comes with is great and I think every loose powder should have one. And while expensive it is of course a good hunk of powder, so your getting your $ worth, definately.

Keep in mind that coverage is sheer, as is expected with loose powder. If you're skin is not perfect you'll definately need foundation, TM, or concealer to hid imperfections. This is a great setting powder though that integrates the colors and texture seamlessly and just finishes your whole face to soft focus perfection. Highly recommended to those in search of a new/first loose powder.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Figure88

I am a huge Nars fan. After reading the rave reviews I ran out and picked up the powder in Snow. The quality of the powder is exceptional as is the color selection. It did not oxidize and was pale enough for my fair skin without making me look like snow white. The ingredients however will not be tolerated well by all. If you are unable to wear mineral make up due to bismuth, mica, etc. stay away from this powder. It has it in it and thus irritated my skin terribly and caused breakouts. It is also drying. I swapped it. Total bummer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 2:04:00 PM More reviews by miahesterly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

If you are scared of parabens then look away now, because this powder is full of them. However, if they don't bother you, then this product is a definite must. I bought it after reading all the reviews on here and I'm very satisfied with it. 'Beach' is a perfect colour match for me (NC40), and doesn't turn orange on my skin like other powders I have tried. I can even use this without foundation, as it gives me good enough coverage. My skin is left looking soft, glowing and even. It doesn't leave it sparkly though, as other reviewers have found. It seems expensive, but you get a lot of product, and I can see this lasting me years.
The downside for me is the packaging as it is cumbersome and not that attractive. The powder itself also has a very chemical/industrial smell which may put some people off. I find the powder puff that is included pretty useful though, so try it first before you throw it away.
This is the first loose powder I have used, so I don't know if there are better out there, but I do know that this has become an essential for me, and I won't be going back to pressed powder to set my makeup. EDIT I took my score down by one, as the powder leaked everywhere due to the terrible packaging. NARS, please change the packaging, so many people hate it!

Ingredients : talc, silica, polyethylene, zea mays [zea mays (corn) starch], nylon-66, isopropyl myristate, disodium edta, dimethicone, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, +/- may contain : mica, ci 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), ci 77491 ci 77492 ci 77499 (iron oxides) ci 77891 (titanium dioxide) ci 77007 (ultramarines), ci 77288 (chromium oxide greens), ci 77289 (chromium hydroxide green).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2008 8:04:00 PM More reviews by ADIOS_AHOLES

I have found my HG so far. The powder melts into my skin and keeps away the oilies. The SA matched me perfectly. I will definetly buy this again as soon as I am out, although that may be a while since they give you so much!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by jadoreLeCute

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my 1st loose powder, I did my research in reviews and boards to find many good things being said about NARS. Im NC30 in MAC (at the time I was deciding between shades) and was about 75% sure I'd match Beach and 25% debating Eden. Luckily I was able to swap for a container of Beach and it blends into my skin beautifully. I use this whether I have foundation on or not and it never looks or feels like I have any on. Its summer now and I've built up a bit of a tan, but still matches me fine. To use the product and prevent mess/contamination, I just flip the container over (with both sifters inserted!) and I end up with a good amount stuck to the inside of the lid. For touch ups during the day I bought a sifter jar from Sephora for 4$ and use with a retractable brush since the included puff is a bit cumbersome and unsanitary. When it comes to powder products in general I really have to say Mr. Nars knows what he's doing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by auramei

For an oily skinned gal, I found this powder mediocre. The finish (in the first half an hour) is beautifully velvety and provides an "air brush" illusion. For my MAC NC25-30/EL DW Light #3/EL DW Sand skin, I found that beach blends in well and doesn't give that "chalky" or "powdery" look that one gets with most loose powders or powder makeup in general. However, I found that this did not control my oil as well as I'd expect it to so therefore, this does not fulfill its function (IMO). For $34, I will not be keeping this and will be returning it to Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2008 10:35:00 PM More reviews by ciarar

Sorry to put a damper on these rave reviews but I was a bit let down. Maybe my hopes were lifted a bit too high. A Sephora rep may have sold me too dark a shade for my pale skin too but I still find it a bit chalky. I use shiny sunscreen and mineral make up and then a v small bit of Nars to cover up the shine. I know I'm layering powder over powder but it does create a bit of an old lady matte cakey finish if I'm not ultra light handed which I'm used to with mineral make up. It's quite good value for money as it will last for ages but as others have described, it's a bit messy. I tried it with foundation only once and was still a bit flour-y. Maybe I'll mix it with something more translucent like Prescriptives shimmer powder (can't recall name) to give an illusion of transparency.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2008 8:38:00 PM More reviews by kay150ono

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SPARKLY!!!!! I never had so many sparkles on my face after I put this on. It's a good powder, but it'll make you look like you have glitter all over your face. Maybe I'll keep it and dust it on my shoulders, etc. on a night out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2008 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Shamim81

I just bought this 2 weeks ago. It's great for setting up my MAC's Face and Body foundation. The combination is amazing. It doesnt have much coverage, when I wear it alone it doesnt do anyting but keeping me matte. For my NC35 skin Beach is a great color. I know it seems expensive but for the amount you get (45grams) its so much cheaper than many other drug store or high end powders. I keep some in my refillable powder brush (Boots No7 Perfect Litght Portable Powder) for just getting rid of the oil during the day. Keeps me nice and matte. I also use it for setting my beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear Light SPF10, looks amazing all day, maybe sweep some powder once and i'm good to go. It doesnt cake on no matter how much you put. It's really fine milled and it goes on really smooth. Be sure to keep the cardboard mesh. It'll save you product because you dont have to do the brush tapping after you get the product since the mesh makes the powder all smooth on the brush and ready to apply. So keep both the plastic sifter and the mesh! I'm not in love with the bulkiness of the container but hey, if that means i'm getting so much product that will last me forever I dont have a problem cuz like i said i carry some in the portable refillable powder brush that I have. I'd definitely repurchase. There IS no other powder out there for me. I've tried them all.