December 21, 2014 | 1591 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2012 5:36:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i am very surprised by the low reviews! i purchased sheer matte in barcelona and i am SO happy with it! i have been wearing chanel perfection lumiere in shade 40 (was a tad too light for my NC42 skin but the 50 was way too dark). i love my CPL but this Nars really keeps the oilies at bay much longer! i am southeast asian, yellow undertones, VERY oily and this really gave me fantastic light/medium coverage (i just like to even out my skin tone) and kept the oilies away much longer than chanel PL. this actually gives just a smidge more coverage than chanel. i am switching over. good stuff and i wish i had tried it sooner. i kept putting it off due to low reviews. if you have DRY skin, this is not for you! so its unfair to give a review saying this dried your skin out-of course it would. its a matte formula! my skin is so oily, i dont think there is any foundation out there that will completely keep the oilies away 100%, but this has come pretty darn close. im giving 5 stars because its the best foundation i have used thus far and i am 37, so there's been a lot :)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2012 1:14:00 AM More reviews by aeriekah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Here it goes. The first time I bought this I wasnt loving it because it was streaky and didnt have lasting power. But that was when I haven't discovered face primers & I used very little and used Sonia Kashuk's Multipurpose Flat Top which was small and tended to streak my makeup.

The second time around I am actually loving it. I use one complete pump to cover my face using a F80 brush. Its has a matte powdery finish with sheer medium coverage. Staying power is average. It a bit harder to blend compared to other foundations. You have to purchase a pump separately & it doesn't come with a cover for the pump but at least you are able to lock it by twisting the pump. I find that the first thing that comes out every time I pump foundation is the extra foundation in the nozzle left from yesterday that has dried up.

Ive tried other foundations afterwards like MAC's Face & Body, and Clinique's Matte Foundation but shine peeks through late afternoon but I keep coming back to Nars. NARS Sheer Matte is matte on me all day and this is my HG foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 4:15:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I was kind of hesitant to try this foundation because I had read many reviews and watched lots of videos with less-than-positive comments. The claims, however, sounded exactly what I was looking for in a foundation: soft matte finish, oil control, light-medium coverage, and a great range of yellow undertones.

I fell in love with the sample I got at Sephora and bought a full-sized bottle. I've had this for 6 months. I'm still in love with this foundation! I think that it might be important to address the common issues of this foundation and how I worked around them. Firstly, I've heard how it's hard to get out of the bottle without a pump. I would DEFINITELY prefer one, especially for the price I'm paying ... but I've never had much of a problem getting the foundation out. I just shake the bottle a few times and it seems to take little effort to come out afterwards. I also heard how cakey it can look. I really think that this IS meant to be a light to light-medium coverage foundation. I don't find it very buildable, at least not as much as the Sheer Glow foundation (which I will review sometime later). So, it's best to use as little as possible. My main skin issues are moderate acne and mild hyperpigmentation, and I think this foundation covers them well. I will agree with others when they say that this can be tricky to blend. I've tried using a flat top brush, stippling brush, Beauty Blender, standard paddle foundation brush, and my fingers. I like the results best when I use a paddle brush: pure perfection for me!

I'm still trying to figure out how to get this to last longer for me, but I do get about 6 hours with the combination of products I'm using. I'm quite oily, so I moisturize with some Clean & Clear Advantage moisturizer (grey bottle). Then, I prime my skin with Rimmel's Fix & Perfect PRO primer. I think the texture of this primer helps the foundation blend more easily. Lastly, I set the foundation with ELF HD powder. I plan on getting one of the NARS powders to see if those would do a better job of mattifying. Once I try that out, I'll update this part of the review.

In my opinion, NARS has an amazing range of shades especially with women with yellow undertones. I like that they just don't cater to one type of yellow undertone. Not every yellow-toned person is olive, peach, golden, soft yellow, warm yellow, etc. As for me, I'm very warm toned and I have primarily yellow undertones. I'm NC27ish (I probably veer into one of the C shades; I'm not sure anymore) and Fiji is absolutely perfect for me. I have also tried a few other shades in this line. Deauville is the most neutral shade that I tried, but it still leans slightly yellow and is probably a good match for NC20s. Ceylan(NC20-25) is primarily yellow, but not as warm as Fiji. I would call it a cooler yellow shade. Punjab (NC30ish) is a shade that I could get away with if I blended it down into my neck, but it leaned slightly pinkish-orange at times. My cousin, whom I estimate to be NC37ish, wears this in Stromboli (a very yellow shade that leans slightly green). All in all, I don't see any "unrealistic" shades in NARS foundations ... so a huge thumbs up for me!

This foundation, along with Sheer Glow, are my new favorites. I am still trying to test the claims of its skincare benefits. I'm usually skeptical, but this has definitely not made my skin any worse. An A+ for NARS, for sure!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by ASilversmith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this foundation after viewing multiple reviews on YouTube. I have combination skin and it sounded good for covering up blemishes but also providing a matte finish for my sometimes oily skin. I really love the foundation. It does a great job covering up imperfections, although I do use a concealer sometimes when serious coverage is needed. I've also never had any issues with the foundation clogging my pores. The bottle seems to last forever and I get a lot of compliments on my skin. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by kpl30

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

First of all, i've got super sensitive skin and i occasionally break out too. I am prone to cosmetic allergies as well, ugh. I have blemishes and blackheads and i must say this foundation has suited with my skin perfectly. I've tried laura mercier, no7, benefit, hourglass.. and none of them compare to this. The coverage is light/medium however it is buildable. I have quite oily skin and although i do get a shiny nose/chin after a few hours, its nothing a little blotting can't help! I use this foundation in shade Syracuse, and although it is a tiny bit darker than my skin colour, it still looks good. I apply this using my fingers as i find that it blends better, followed by MAC select moisturiser to conceal dark circles etc.
The only thing about this is that it doesn't come with a pump (which personally is ridiculous) and once applied to the face, it dries quickly, and you end up wasting quite a bit! I will still be buying this foundation but i will be on the look out for another foundation that is a better match to my colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by jaywillis

Compared to other cheap makeup foundation this foundation blows everyone else out the water. I tried Avon, Mark, Mary K, True Match, Revelon and Cover girl. This Foundation is Awesome!! I have combination skin and I love the matte look. This is beautiful smooth foundation. I wear this foundation in Cadiz. I have had so many compliments with this makeup. This is my first time buying NARS and I am in love. Finally I got the color matched up perfectly at Sophora. I don't like that it doesn't come with a pump. So I scoop it up with the smallest face brush I have. Then I use my stencil brush and apply the make up. Then I take one more scoop and apply it with my fingers. I bought Laura Mercier Loose Translucent powder to set with my powder face brush. Then I use Laguna Bronzer for my chicks and nose. I have never liked bronzer before. So this was my first. I really like it. People say I glow, it is so pretty. I also use Elf face primer and that seems to work pretty well too. I don't care that it cost a lot, I don't break out and my skin has improved since I have been wearing it for a month now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by aamna_601

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Im super surprised that this foundation didn't get a higher rating. I have big pores, oily skin (but it gets dry when I overdo the retin A argh), and little blemishes, red spots, an occasional mandatory pimple every month (ugh). I didn't like NARS old formulation of the matte foundation but this one is great. I REALLY like it. This is what I like about it:
-Light, but really does cover and mattify!
-Color (punjab) matches me perfectly
-Actually covers blemishes really well and I am even using it under my eyes instead of my concealer because its actually better :o
-Doesn't make me oilier (yay). I use this over Pores no more and it works like magic.
-Really brightens up my face. Goes really well as a canvas for blushes, highlighters etc.
-Smoothes pores out really well (once again over pores no more)
-I actually like the bottle (which is not a pump) because I feel like I have more control over how much comes out. I can shake it a little or a lot and then just take the dab of foundation on top out (I can even do this with a small spatula so I dont use my fingers).

What may be a turnoff for some:
-price? at 42 dollars in the US, it is a little expensive but I feel like most foundations are in this price range nowadays (sigh). All the "tinted moisturizers" and "BB creams" are taking the old foundation price range (20-30 dollars). Personally I dont mind paying for the quality and I'm so glad I found this its perfect for summer months (and I live in humid north carolina). Also its not bad compared to some others (GA, Cle de peau etc)
-availability? I can only find it at Nordstrom and Sephora, its not at Macys or Belk.

Overall I LOVE this foundation. New staple. Will wait a few more weeks before I call it HG :). Yay!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 7:08:00 AM More reviews by chookana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my opinion, this is a really nice foundation, It is matte as promised and it feels really velvety and light on the skin, I feel it almost dries to a powdery consistency. I wouldn't say I have oily skin, I just like the matte look. For reference I got the shade Syracuse and am usually an NC40-42.
I tried to apply it with a brush but felt that it turned out too streaky so I applied it with my fingers and the heat from my skin just made the product melt into my skin.
I've been using foundation sticks for the past 5 or so years so I was hesitant to try this out because I'm used to a full coverage foundation (the reason I decided to change is because in an effort to be kinder to my skin I thought it would be best to give my Napoleon foundation stick a rest for a while as it contains oil, whereas Sheer Matte does not).
Anyways, this stuff is by no means a full coverage foundation, you'll definitely need to conceal any blemishes with concealer (which I'm not used to doing as my stick doubled as a concealer) and if you are looking for a full makeup look this isn't the foundation for you.
It's most certainly sheer but buildable and allows your skin to breath I feel and by no means is it cakey or unnatural looking.
I noticed that a lot of reviewers had trouble applying this, I didn't find this at all, but then again this is my first liquid in years so I wouldn't really have anything to compare it against.
I think this foundation would be perfect for those with healthy skin who are just looking to even out a bit. If you do have blemishes that you're looking to conceal you should probably opt for something else. This is a good natural daytime option I think. I may or may not repurchase, I'll see how it goes in the long run but the fact that it doesn't come with a pump really cheeses me, on top of that, they don't even sell the pumps in Australia!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Victoriajane89

I like this foundation. It gives a medium coverage and is great for oily skin. I find that you need to be quick when applying this foundation as it dries quick but gives a dewy matte finish.

I havepurchased this is two different shades, Punjab/Santa Fe and neither seem to suit my skin tone butafter I apply a bronzer it isn't noticeable.

I would buy this again but when I find a colour more suitable for my skin tone!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Ashley1958

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow...ULTIMATELY disappointed!!! Expensive foundation that has absolutely NO staying power and slides right off my face. Will I purchase again? NO WAY. In fact, I am returning it. I'm glad Sephora has an awesome return policy.