October 20, 2014 | 1416 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:47:00 AM More reviews by kpl30

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

First of all, i've got super sensitive skin and i occasionally break out too. I am prone to cosmetic allergies as well, ugh. I have blemishes and blackheads and i must say this foundation has suited with my skin perfectly. I've tried laura mercier, no7, benefit, hourglass.. and none of them compare to this. The coverage is light/medium however it is buildable. I have quite oily skin and although i do get a shiny nose/chin after a few hours, its nothing a little blotting can't help! I use this foundation in shade Syracuse, and although it is a tiny bit darker than my skin colour, it still looks good. I apply this using my fingers as i find that it blends better, followed by MAC select moisturiser to conceal dark circles etc.
The only thing about this is that it doesn't come with a pump (which personally is ridiculous) and once applied to the face, it dries quickly, and you end up wasting quite a bit! I will still be buying this foundation but i will be on the look out for another foundation that is a better match to my colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by jaywillis

Compared to other cheap makeup foundation this foundation blows everyone else out the water. I tried Avon, Mark, Mary K, True Match, Revelon and Cover girl. This Foundation is Awesome!! I have combination skin and I love the matte look. This is beautiful smooth foundation. I wear this foundation in Cadiz. I have had so many compliments with this makeup. This is my first time buying NARS and I am in love. Finally I got the color matched up perfectly at Sophora. I don't like that it doesn't come with a pump. So I scoop it up with the smallest face brush I have. Then I use my stencil brush and apply the make up. Then I take one more scoop and apply it with my fingers. I bought Laura Mercier Loose Translucent powder to set with my powder face brush. Then I use Laguna Bronzer for my chicks and nose. I have never liked bronzer before. So this was my first. I really like it. People say I glow, it is so pretty. I also use Elf face primer and that seems to work pretty well too. I don't care that it cost a lot, I don't break out and my skin has improved since I have been wearing it for a month now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by aamna_601

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Im super surprised that this foundation didn't get a higher rating. I have big pores, oily skin (but it gets dry when I overdo the retin A argh), and little blemishes, red spots, an occasional mandatory pimple every month (ugh). I didn't like NARS old formulation of the matte foundation but this one is great. I REALLY like it. This is what I like about it:
-Light, but really does cover and mattify!
-Color (punjab) matches me perfectly
-Actually covers blemishes really well and I am even using it under my eyes instead of my concealer because its actually better :o
-Doesn't make me oilier (yay). I use this over Pores no more and it works like magic.
-Really brightens up my face. Goes really well as a canvas for blushes, highlighters etc.
-Smoothes pores out really well (once again over pores no more)
-I actually like the bottle (which is not a pump) because I feel like I have more control over how much comes out. I can shake it a little or a lot and then just take the dab of foundation on top out (I can even do this with a small spatula so I dont use my fingers).

What may be a turnoff for some:
-price? at 42 dollars in the US, it is a little expensive but I feel like most foundations are in this price range nowadays (sigh). All the "tinted moisturizers" and "BB creams" are taking the old foundation price range (20-30 dollars). Personally I dont mind paying for the quality and I'm so glad I found this its perfect for summer months (and I live in humid north carolina). Also its not bad compared to some others (GA, Cle de peau etc)
-availability? I can only find it at Nordstrom and Sephora, its not at Macys or Belk.

Overall I LOVE this foundation. New staple. Will wait a few more weeks before I call it HG :). Yay!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 7:08:00 AM More reviews by chookana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my opinion, this is a really nice foundation, It is matte as promised and it feels really velvety and light on the skin, I feel it almost dries to a powdery consistency. I wouldn't say I have oily skin, I just like the matte look. For reference I got the shade Syracuse and am usually an NC40-42.
I tried to apply it with a brush but felt that it turned out too streaky so I applied it with my fingers and the heat from my skin just made the product melt into my skin.
I've been using foundation sticks for the past 5 or so years so I was hesitant to try this out because I'm used to a full coverage foundation (the reason I decided to change is because in an effort to be kinder to my skin I thought it would be best to give my Napoleon foundation stick a rest for a while as it contains oil, whereas Sheer Matte does not).
Anyways, this stuff is by no means a full coverage foundation, you'll definitely need to conceal any blemishes with concealer (which I'm not used to doing as my stick doubled as a concealer) and if you are looking for a full makeup look this isn't the foundation for you.
It's most certainly sheer but buildable and allows your skin to breath I feel and by no means is it cakey or unnatural looking.
I noticed that a lot of reviewers had trouble applying this, I didn't find this at all, but then again this is my first liquid in years so I wouldn't really have anything to compare it against.
I think this foundation would be perfect for those with healthy skin who are just looking to even out a bit. If you do have blemishes that you're looking to conceal you should probably opt for something else. This is a good natural daytime option I think. I may or may not repurchase, I'll see how it goes in the long run but the fact that it doesn't come with a pump really cheeses me, on top of that, they don't even sell the pumps in Australia!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Victoriajane89

I like this foundation. It gives a medium coverage and is great for oily skin. I find that you need to be quick when applying this foundation as it dries quick but gives a dewy matte finish.

I havepurchased this is two different shades, Punjab/Santa Fe and neither seem to suit my skin tone butafter I apply a bronzer it isn't noticeable.

I would buy this again but when I find a colour more suitable for my skin tone!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by Ashley1958

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow...ULTIMATELY disappointed!!! Expensive foundation that has absolutely NO staying power and slides right off my face. Will I purchase again? NO WAY. In fact, I am returning it. I'm glad Sephora has an awesome return policy.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/4/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by GiaRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Probably the only majorly good thing about this foundation is that it doesn't really break me out as it's oil free. Also i like the light coverage and the way it looks in photos.

I was matched to the colour Barcelona (i'm NC35 with super yellow undertones) by the lady in Sephora who said that's the colour she wore it in. By looking at her she appeared a few shades darker than me but i liked the way it made me looked naturally tanned (i now know i just look orange with it on) and brought it anyway.

It was quite expensive which i wouldn't mind if it was actually good...but it's nothing special to me at all.

The coverage is medium, and it claims to be a matte finish but you definitely have to powder for it to be matte, else i find it to be on the dewy side. I dont have a problem with foundations lasting on me but if you have super oily skin i can't see this staying on you unless you powder a lot.

I think the packaging is rubbish for the one reason that it doesn't come with a pump, you have to buy it separately...Please tell me why the foundation is so expensive yet you have to buy a pump separately?? If you dont have a pump you'll find that it comes out in horrible clumps.

I wear this on nights out when i have fake tan on, other than that it's far too orange looking to wear in the day time - my boyfriend kindly let me know this when i wore it to see him once. Again this is partially my fault for listening to the moron in Sephora when i knew it was too dark for me, but either way even if t was my exact shade it wouldn't be anything special. When this runs out i am very unlikely to re buy this as i have about five drugstore foundations that work ten times better.

If you need a foundation that is oil free like me however, you'll probably find this won't break you out so for that reason i wouldn't rate it too poorly.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/1/2012 5:13:00 PM More reviews by helloroo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Received this item in a swap and I really like it. I got the color Punjab which is for medium skin with peachy undertones. I am a NC30 in MAC but I do have neutral undertones. I have combo/normal skin and this does keep me matte all day. As for looking too matte, I use MAC MSFN as a setting powder and it's wonderful for giving a finished, little bit of glow-y look. Mine came with a pump and I think they all do now. I use a stippling brush to apply.

Price tag is quite hefty...in the 40's I believe. Easily dupe-able and there are probably otherand better foundations for a cheaper price. The coverage for me is light to medium. You will need a concealer for this! My HG foundation is MUFE HD and that offers medium-full and NARS Sheer Matte definitely offers less than that. Overall, I wouldn't repurchase it again but I would swap for it again if that makes any sense! For me, I use it on days where I want to conserve MUFE HD and know I am not going to be in any pictures or anything. There is nothing particularly special about this product other than it's a NARS product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

This product will suck the life out of your skin and then come back for your first born. I have extreme combination skin - very oily t-zone and bone dry/eczema cheeks. FUN! I have accepted the fact that I need to use a different foundation on the cheeks, but for fun I tried this all over. Every single dry patch was magnified, foundation looked extremely cakey on the dry areas - ok that is to be expected. On the T-zone it looked quite nice and the color match was fantastic when i'm a little tanned (I used Fiji which I would say is similar to NC 25 but more neutral), however it wore off very quickly and ended up drying the heck out of even the oily areas, while still needing to be blotted at the same time. I also noticed this stuck to every pore and made them looked clogged with foundation. I am using this on my t-zone occasionally just to use up the large sample i received, and I ordered the full size sheer glow based on reviews (haven't received, fingers crossed!). What I love about this is the color selection and the initial look - lovely in pictures if you can take the picture within the first 2 hours of wearing :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by Flysy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As a 38 y/o with very sensitive and oily skin..this worked great!
For reference I am African American with very yellow undertones. My mother is part Hispanic. My perfect shade was C5 studiofix..and that went bye bye many years ago. MAC Prolongwear Foundation was great but I had to mix NC42 & NC 45 to get somewhat of a match. In MUFE Duo Mat I was a 209...It would still oxidize and turn orange. Clarins Instant Smooth #6. Lancome Dual Finish Caramel III(these broke me out) As you can see, I know my products. Yes, it is more of a satin finish. But now I have the perfect shade with no irritation, breakouts, or orange look.