Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

on 12/2/2010 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Really good palette for creating a day smoky eye, I'm so much into neutrals right now and I really like it. Not so crazy about the brow bone shade, it doesn't show up very well on my skin.

on 11/22/2010 9:33:00 PM

I gave into the hype and bought this quad. It is indeed, an excellent everyday smokey eye, but a warning to medium-dark/warm skinned girls like myself - these colors do NOT show up very well if you're darker complected. I really had to work with the taupe shade to get it to show, eventually wetting the eyeshadow to get the color out. The crease and outer corner shades show up fine, but come out a little muddy, again because I'm darker. If you're medium to light, I would say this would work well and the colors would be truer on you. Personally, I won't be repurchasing. I'll keep it just because it's a no-brainer everyday look, and I can reserve my more expensive shadows for special occasions.

on 11/21/2010 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Maybelline has wowed me again. I picked this up after everyone in the world raved about it, mostly for the stunning taupe lid color.

The first time I used this quad, I actually had to remove all my makeup and redo my eyes because the colors are SO pigmented! I was using that heavy-handed-"I'm-using-cheap-eyeshadow" application, thinking this drugstore quad would be weak but I was incredibly wrong.

I ended up using the gorgeous taupe the least; it's intensely shimmery on me so definitely not a day color. The darkest shade is extraordinarily smooth and rich. I love the MAC Mulch dupe brown for a crease color. I was exceptionally happy to find a highlight color that wasn't completely hideous. I usually don't even bother with the highlight shades but this cream color is sheer and flattering. I even like to use it as a lid color for day.

The only issue I had with this quad was fallout with the taupe color. I prefer applying that one with my ring finger. This is a great buy if you want a go-to neutral set without breaking the bank. I'm very tempted to buy the rest of the Stylish Smokes quad :)

on 11/9/2010 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I really love this quad! Has nice neutral colours that are perfect for creating that smokey eye. Will need a primer with this as it will crease without one, but other than that, they are really good shadows and nicely pigmented. A great buy.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I am a Maybelline Skeptic. I've rarely tried a Maybelline product that I didn't find to be cheap, both in appearance and quality. I bought the Amethyst Smokes quad and was so disgusted with the hard, dry, chalky consistency and poor pigmentation that I threw it in the trash after one use.

But, after reading the reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and give Maybelline one more try with this quad.

I have to admit, the quality is pretty darn good. The shadows are smooth, deeply pigmented and easy to blend. Can it compare to high end shadows? Frankly, no. But this is a drugstore product that delivers good quality at a very affordable price.

However...I will caution warm skinned gals that although this quad appears to be neutral/warm, all the colors apply as some variation of silver/gray. At least they do on me. The crease color, which I thought would be a very, very deep bronze, applied as just a darker variation of the lid color. Now, I have very fair skin and I am definitely warm complected, so maybe on a cool complection, they would apply as warm as they appear in the pan. But on me, they really applied too silvery/cool for my warm complection, and too dark for my fairness.

Still, beautiful colors, good quality and unbeatable price for the right person. Just not me.

on 11/7/2010 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After hearing great reviews for this quad and seeing it in the stores, I finally decided to get it. The color scheme is great, however I didn't like the quality of the shadows. The colors were kind of hard to blend, and were not smooth or long lasting like, say, mac shadows. It took twice as much product to get the color payoff. But it's true you get what you pay for, and this is decent for a drug store palette, but I would rather spend more for better quality.

on 11/7/2010 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Very nice, especially for the price. I love to wear the crease color on the lid as a standalone shade, I wish I could find this in a single shade. I would think this quad would work for many different skin tones. For ref: NC50.

Yeah I have to agree, this particular palette from maybelline is BANGIN'! The quality and pigmentation are excellent. Sooo wish I could say the same for their new 'color plush' shadows. These shades are beautiful browns and very silky. They last, and last even more with some primer. If you are looking for some high quality natural shade shadows at the DS then these are for you!.

on 11/7/2010 6:55:00 PM

I bought this product in Natural Smokes after rave reviews from various makeup gurus on YouTube. I thought I would give it a try since I always tend to gravitate toward browns and neutral shades for eyeshadow. The color pigments in the quad palette are pretty good and tend to last throughout the day. Although I noticed that the colors have a tendency to blend into one color by the end of the day. I use the brow, lid, and crease colors for above the eyes, and then the outer color as an liner on the outer corner of my eyes. I am debating whether to buy other quads in this Stylish Smokes product line, but am refraining myself since my eyeshadow collection is getting too large for what I really need. Plus, out of habit, I tend to use my Revlon Colorstay quads in Coffee Bean and Copper Spice and NYX Trio Eyeshadow in Aloha-Mink Brown-Deep Bronze as daily defaults. All in all this quad is great for day and night time looks. If you plan to wear this look from day into the night, you may need to reapply as the colors do blend. You may need a touch-up before heading out for the evening.

on 11/6/2010 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This isn't the best quality e/s and the packaging lacks but I have already purchased a back-up. Needs primer for best lasting power..UDPP.
The red undertones really make my blue eyes pop. I'm actually only rating this as a 5 because it works so well on my complexion. I am solidly a Colorstay oily/combo 180 Sand Beige, AL 2YL. Med Auburn hair and blue eyes.
I don't use it as instructed though. I have deepset eyes and the brow 'hides' my big eyelid. (I have hooded eyes but my eyelid is huge). If I apply the colors as instructed I just end up with a flat looking eye...hoping this makes sense to ya'll...lol.
I use the lightest brow/hilite on my entire eye area, concentrated on the lid/lash line and blended up above the crease as a base. The lid color goes into the crease and the crease color is my "V". The color labeled outer corner I use as a smudged liner during the day but for a more dramatic or smokey look I use MAC black tied over liquid black liner.
This method along with a nude/pink lipgloss can be a soft, neutral daytime or a smokin' hot, sexy look for night.
I like how I can start out the day with these colors at work and then just amp it up in the evening.
I am really looking to dupe these with a higher quality/pigmented brand now.