October 21, 2014 | 1018 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 8:21:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am a Maybelline Skeptic. I've rarely tried a Maybelline product that I didn't find to be cheap, both in appearance and quality. I bought the Amethyst Smokes quad and was so disgusted with the hard, dry, chalky consistency and poor pigmentation that I threw it in the trash after one use.

But, after reading the reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and give Maybelline one more try with this quad.

I have to admit, the quality is pretty darn good. The shadows are smooth, deeply pigmented and easy to blend. Can it compare to high end shadows? Frankly, no. But this is a drugstore product that delivers good quality at a very affordable price.

However...I will caution warm skinned gals that although this quad appears to be neutral/warm, all the colors apply as some variation of silver/gray. At least they do on me. The crease color, which I thought would be a very, very deep bronze, applied as just a darker variation of the lid color. Now, I have very fair skin and I am definitely warm complected, so maybe on a cool complection, they would apply as warm as they appear in the pan. But on me, they really applied too silvery/cool for my warm complection, and too dark for my fairness.

Still, beautiful colors, good quality and unbeatable price for the right person. Just not me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2010 8:11:00 PM More reviews by andrea34

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After hearing great reviews for this quad and seeing it in the stores, I finally decided to get it. The color scheme is great, however I didn't like the quality of the shadows. The colors were kind of hard to blend, and were not smooth or long lasting like, say, mac shadows. It took twice as much product to get the color payoff. But it's true you get what you pay for, and this is decent for a drug store palette, but I would rather spend more for better quality.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Very nice, especially for the price. I love to wear the crease color on the lid as a standalone shade, I wish I could find this in a single shade. I would think this quad would work for many different skin tones. For ref: NC50.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2010 7:23:00 PM More reviews by skinobsessed1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yeah I have to agree, this particular palette from maybelline is BANGIN'! The quality and pigmentation are excellent. Sooo wish I could say the same for their new 'color plush' shadows. These shades are beautiful browns and very silky. They last, and last even more with some primer. If you are looking for some high quality natural shade shadows at the DS then these are for you!.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 6:55:00 PM More reviews by sesame57

I bought this product in Natural Smokes after rave reviews from various makeup gurus on YouTube. I thought I would give it a try since I always tend to gravitate toward browns and neutral shades for eyeshadow. The color pigments in the quad palette are pretty good and tend to last throughout the day. Although I noticed that the colors have a tendency to blend into one color by the end of the day. I use the brow, lid, and crease colors for above the eyes, and then the outer color as an liner on the outer corner of my eyes. I am debating whether to buy other quads in this Stylish Smokes product line, but am refraining myself since my eyeshadow collection is getting too large for what I really need. Plus, out of habit, I tend to use my Revlon Colorstay quads in Coffee Bean and Copper Spice and NYX Trio Eyeshadow in Aloha-Mink Brown-Deep Bronze as daily defaults. All in all this quad is great for day and night time looks. If you plan to wear this look from day into the night, you may need to reapply as the colors do blend. You may need a touch-up before heading out for the evening.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lgbnaf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This isn't the best quality e/s and the packaging lacks but I have already purchased a back-up. Needs primer for best lasting power..UDPP.
The red undertones really make my blue eyes pop. I'm actually only rating this as a 5 because it works so well on my complexion. I am solidly a Colorstay oily/combo 180 Sand Beige, AL 2YL. Med Auburn hair and blue eyes.
I don't use it as instructed though. I have deepset eyes and the brow 'hides' my big eyelid. (I have hooded eyes but my eyelid is huge). If I apply the colors as instructed I just end up with a flat looking eye...hoping this makes sense to ya'll...lol.
I use the lightest brow/hilite on my entire eye area, concentrated on the lid/lash line and blended up above the crease as a base. The lid color goes into the crease and the crease color is my "V". The color labeled outer corner I use as a smudged liner during the day but for a more dramatic or smokey look I use MAC black tied over liquid black liner.
This method along with a nude/pink lipgloss can be a soft, neutral daytime or a smokin' hot, sexy look for night.
I like how I can start out the day with these colors at work and then just amp it up in the evening.
I am really looking to dupe these with a higher quality/pigmented brand now.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2010 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Kfunk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I questioned if these colors would be too dark on my very fair complexion but I love them! And you can't beat the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2010 3:29:00 AM More reviews by beccalee79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love love love this eyshadow quad! I cant believe Maybeline has finally made some decent eyeshadows! I own Satin Taupe which is a dupe for the crease colour in this quad, but for some reason ST looks kind of greyish on me.. does anyone know of a MAC shadow that is similar to ST or the crease colour in this quad..minus the grey?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by lucdiaz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

As everyone has mentioned the packaging is subpar. It's really fragile. I broke the one on my Chai Latte quad upon first use, and I'm careful. So they need to improve on that, but the actual shadows and their suggestion for how to use them is fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that I'm overlooking the poor packaging. The colors are: A great shimmery almost metallic taupe for the lid, a satiny deep warm brown for the crease, a matte deep neutral brown for the outer corner, and a very mattish pale ivory for highlight. Some may call the ivory is the loser among the four because of it's less than stellar pigmentation. However, if you compare it to a lighter type highlight like MAC's Vapour, or Nylon it's very comparable and not a loser at all, just misunderstood. The color payoff is meant to be sheer or the entire eye would be overwhelming. This way, the focus is on the lid and that shimmery gorgeous taupe. Anyway, I'm getting carried away, I love this quad, and it's cheap too. A total win from Maybelline.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2010 8:01:00 PM More reviews by mochi123

The only thing I have to complain about this product is the packaging. the lid snapped off the first week I was using it, but i couldn't ask for better quality eyeshadows with the price i was paying. Amazing pigmentation and barely any fallouts. I use this as my everyday quad and is the only quad i take with me when i travel. I end up using the matte brown as my brow color. So i couldn't ask for a more convenient product! ;)