April 21, 2014 | 1478 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2007 8:38:00 PM More reviews by typicalgirls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't really know about this product. It seems my skin has no reaction whatsoever when I use this, which is good. If I apply with a light hand notice no coverage or evening of skin tone, not good. If I apply more it settles into every nook and cranny on my face. I have very small pores and very fine lines that I discovered after dusting this on my face. I almost want to say that this aged me, which is bad. The strange this is when I was this off my face my complexion w/o make up looks really glowy and healthy. Maybe some of the ingredients in this help the skin.

In comparison to youngblood's soft beige, which is what i was using prior to this, this did seem to blend better, and wasn't as thick. But it seems I can control application w/younblood better.

I'm going to give it more of a chance, mabye i need a proper brush...

Update: After using this after a week I started getting small bumps around my nose and cystic acne on my chin. yikes!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2007 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Hulagirl1100

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best makeup I have ever used. I am 55 and have tried everything, Chanel, Giorgio Armani-you name it. I am on Obagi maintenance now and my skin looks incredible. All I have to do is brush on a little of the powder (I use Radiant), I then brush Whisper Blush on my cheekbones and head out for the entire day. My son is 39 and everyone he introduces me to thinks I am either his girlfriend or younger sister. That is no lie.My endless search for yet another product has ended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2007 1:17:00 PM More reviews by buckheadbecky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After going back and forth and declaring that mineral makeup is just a fad fueled by the Bare Minerals Marketing department, I decided to give it a shot and asked my facialist about JI Amazing Base. I'm glad that I did, and have been happy with the results.

This stuff feels completely weightless and I do see a difference in my skin when I have it on. I hate heavy foundations and that cakey feeling that comes with them, so this was a welcome change. Even my husband, who rarely notices my makeup, could tell that my skin looked better with this on. I haven't broken out or had any other problems with it since I started using it two months ago.

Application is pretty easy--I use my MAC #187 brush, but you could use any big fluffy brush. A little goes a long way--you only need a little bit of this to get a nice glow, but you can put on several light layers to get better coverage.

My only issue with this is that while Amber, the shade my MUA/facialist chose is a very close match to my natural skin tone, it's still a little on the orange/tan side. I'm going to give this another try and perhaps get a second opinion on the color. This stuff is expensive (I paid around $40 for the loose powder), but does what it claims.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2007 4:00:00 PM More reviews by acvdep

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm really reallly impressed with this foundation. I had tried mineral makeup a while back and was really unimpressed & found the whole thing cumbersome & messy to deal with. However, more recently I've been very shocked after reading some books (Drop Dead Gorgeous is a good one) about the amount of toxins in cosmetics, and their potential health consequences, like cancer & infertility. As a person who wears foundation on a daily basis I've been on a quest to find a natural & non-toxic alternative and I am so glad to have found JI.

I've also tried Kiss My Face, Illuminare, Jane Iredale liquid, and Everday Minerals... and this continues to be my favorite. I have normal to dry skin in the winter, and have always preferred light coverage, more natural, dewy looking foundations... so I was really not excited to try powders, but this stuff looks amazing, almost gives my skin a creamy look & has a nice dewy glow to it. I apply using a kabuki brush. Overall, this does not give superior coverage, but it does what i want a foundation to do, which is to blend & even out my skintone. I set with the JI Hydration Mist for an even more dewy look, and find that very comforting in the winter months. I notice that the main reason others do not like this is that they can not find a color match, however, Warm Silk is a perfect match for my LLL, yellow undertoned, NC20 skin. My only gripe is the price, I wish it were more affordable, about $40 for a full size jar.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2007 12:48:00 PM More reviews by gemini36

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an ok product. However I don't find that it covers much at all. I will use up the samples but I won't repurchase a full size. I believe it has titanium dioxide.
Just a tip from a M/U artist friend of mine; this or anything w/titanium dioxide is not recommended for taking pictures, because no matter what color you use you will look like a ghost in your pictures. Just thought I would mention this since I notice alot of people complain that it makes them look chalky.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2007 3:13:00 PM More reviews by ohboy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I preferred the pressed base by JI to this one. This one settled into fine lines and pores just like BE. On the positive side, it never caused a breakout or irritated my skin, unlike BE's line. I'm just not a fan of mineral powder foundation. I thought the pressed base gave better coverage than the loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2007 8:27:00 PM More reviews by amor_peace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Before I use Jane Iredale's Powder, I used 2 liquid foundations & 1 solid powder foundation. The liquid foundations were better than solid powder foundation that they don't make much flaky as solid powder. However, when I was using liquid foundations, I was worried that they would be absorbed inside of my skin that can cause redness or itch. Therefore, after I searched real pure mineral powder, I found Jane Iredale. I have very dry skin, therefore, I was concerned that this also would cause dry and break out. However, I love this product! It's coverage is best than other products and it is very safer to use b/c other products contain bad ingredients that causes skin cancer or irritation. Therefore, after I found Jane Iredale's I never use any other products. In case of run out, I bought one more for back-up :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2007 4:33:00 PM More reviews by wolfcub

I agree that this powder creates a bit of a mess. The packaging now has more powder on the top part than on the lower part and I am not looking forward to putting it back into the bottom. Having said that, I love the way the powder makes my skin look. It evens out my skin tone and makes my skin look very healthy. My sister even complemented me on how well my skin looked the other day when I was wearing it. That's a huge compliment since she never complements me on anything. The next time though, I think I will go for the pressed version of this foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by nikki415

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first venture into the world of mineral makeup. I generally like this product however my biggest complaint is that it's a huge mess! Every time I use this it gets all over everything! The powder gives nice coverage and can be layered easily. It also gives my skin a nice glow. The package is not very good and a lot of the powder gets stuck on the side of the sifter... I don't think I'll be buying this again

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2007 9:31:00 AM More reviews by thayerg

This product took a couple of days getting used to, a couple of weeks learning how to apply, and a second trip back to the pharmacy to change colors, but I'm thoroughly happy now with JI and won't be changing.

When I started this product I had some acne to hide and had serious doubts as to whether or not a powder would work. But surprisingly, it is great for coverage, the key is the right brushes and application techniques. To make a concealer, I put a bit of oil free moisturizer on my hand, tap some loose powder into it, and blend with my Laura Mercier concealer brush adding powder or moisturizer until the color is right. Then apply with concealer brush, and voila! The other option I found it to use a foundation brush ( I use the JI or the Sonja Kashuck one) and apply the powder a little heavier on spots that need to be concealed until they are concealed. Then I blend the powder into the rest of my face with a JI chisel brush, and again, surprisingly enough, decent coverage. If I've got some big flaw on my skin I don't think either method will cover, or if I am feeling lazy, I apply a tinted moisturizer (Laura Mercier--which didn't cover well alone when my skin was more acne prone) and apply the powder with a chisel brush.

I started out concerned with this product reading here about bismuth and acne, etc. I didn't think the coverage of a powder (I was a 15 year liquid foundation loyalist) would work, but for some reason I was still interested and only tried it because the local natural pharmacy that stocks it has a great return policy & they have pseudo-make up artists there to help with matching. The first color I got I sat there waiting for it to sink in... it did & although it looked better after it did, despite the fact that I queried the women in my office about the color and they said it was fine, it still didn't look right, so I then ordered a sample of my other choice online, tried it for a week, tried it side by side, and eventually did the exchange. I've been happy ever since.

My skin itched a bit for like the first 3 days I wore it. While initially I thought it was the bismuth, in hind sight, it was a psychosomatic reaction from reading too much here.

I don't remember how long ago I bought it, but it has been a long time, 6 months to a year, and it looks like i still have at least half of the jar left, if not more, so although the price is high, I think the value works out in the end.

And I can't believe I am going to say this, but along with my change in skincare (Philospohy Purity, Peter Thomas Roth Oil Free Moisturizer as needed, and PTR benzoil peroxide/sulfur as needed) my skin has completely cleared up, and I do believe that this foundation played a part.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No