November 27, 2014 | 1504 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 9:15:00 PM More reviews by searching4thebest

This is my favorite mineral makeup. I think that the colors are better, the minerals go on less "powdery" and it has better coverage than others I've tried. I've been using it for 5 years. I understand that plastic surgeons recommend it for post-surgery patients.

I have tried the newer drugstore mineral foundations as well, like Jane and Physician's Formula, also Avon, Aromaleigh (from their website). Jane Iredale seems to be a better quality, so I'm resigned to the price. You can find it on eBay for less than the list price, and I would recommend the Amazing Base for everyday use, and the compact one only for your purse.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 7:43:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was about to give up on this. While the texture is nice and the coverage is buildable (you can go sheer or add layers for more coverage), I found that the color my esthetician had selected (Amber) made me look streaky and orange-y, like I'd had a bad experience with self-tanner. I didn't want to give up; this was otherwise a good product.

Fortunately for me, there's a JI distributor in our local mall. The MUA there tried another, more yellow-ish shade on me (Warm Sienna) and the color match was muuuuuch better--I couldn't believe how natural it looked! It really looked like I wasn't wearing any makeup at all, and it didn't feel like I was wearing it, either. THIS was what I'd been hoping to find.

Applying it is easy. While I've heard good things and read good reviews about the Handi brush, my beloved MAC #187 works well with Amazing Base. You can layer this for more coverage and still not get a "cakey" look.

It's worth tracking this down. Definitely go in person to find a color match; that seemed to be a difficult task. There are deals on eBay and online for this, so once you've found a match, you're bound to find it for less on the net. I'm very glad that I didn't swap this and found a color that works! This is not cheap, but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2008 4:43:00 PM More reviews by tparker14

Good coverage and it has a low hazard ingredient listing on the skin deep data base (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2007 12:37:00 PM More reviews by psyche_07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After hearing so many good things about this mineral foundation, I was really excited about trying it out. Using it has been a very disappointing experience. What concerned me the most was that it made my skin incredibly itchy. I don't have sensitive skin -- I can't think of any makeup product that my skin has ever reacted to before. About an hour after application of the powder, I would notice my face feeling tight, itchy, and dry, and in the mirror, it looked red and inflamed. I haven't got a clue what they put in this stuff that reacts with my skin (again, I don't have makeup allergies), but that's a little scary. Aside from the itchies, the coverage is kind of blah. I have a little bit of acne, and this stuff didn't do much to hide it. Additionally, it wore off after a few hours. Definitely not going to use Jane Iredale's products again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2007 5:30:00 AM More reviews by deeys

Coverage ok.. I get bumps on my forehead when I use this. And it make skin oily..

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2007 8:38:00 PM More reviews by typicalgirls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't really know about this product. It seems my skin has no reaction whatsoever when I use this, which is good. If I apply with a light hand notice no coverage or evening of skin tone, not good. If I apply more it settles into every nook and cranny on my face. I have very small pores and very fine lines that I discovered after dusting this on my face. I almost want to say that this aged me, which is bad. The strange this is when I was this off my face my complexion w/o make up looks really glowy and healthy. Maybe some of the ingredients in this help the skin.

In comparison to youngblood's soft beige, which is what i was using prior to this, this did seem to blend better, and wasn't as thick. But it seems I can control application w/younblood better.

I'm going to give it more of a chance, mabye i need a proper brush...

Update: After using this after a week I started getting small bumps around my nose and cystic acne on my chin. yikes!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2007 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Hulagirl1100

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best makeup I have ever used. I am 55 and have tried everything, Chanel, Giorgio Armani-you name it. I am on Obagi maintenance now and my skin looks incredible. All I have to do is brush on a little of the powder (I use Radiant), I then brush Whisper Blush on my cheekbones and head out for the entire day. My son is 39 and everyone he introduces me to thinks I am either his girlfriend or younger sister. That is no lie.My endless search for yet another product has ended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2007 1:17:00 PM More reviews by buckheadbecky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After going back and forth and declaring that mineral makeup is just a fad fueled by the Bare Minerals Marketing department, I decided to give it a shot and asked my facialist about JI Amazing Base. I'm glad that I did, and have been happy with the results.

This stuff feels completely weightless and I do see a difference in my skin when I have it on. I hate heavy foundations and that cakey feeling that comes with them, so this was a welcome change. Even my husband, who rarely notices my makeup, could tell that my skin looked better with this on. I haven't broken out or had any other problems with it since I started using it two months ago.

Application is pretty easy--I use my MAC #187 brush, but you could use any big fluffy brush. A little goes a long way--you only need a little bit of this to get a nice glow, but you can put on several light layers to get better coverage.

My only issue with this is that while Amber, the shade my MUA/facialist chose is a very close match to my natural skin tone, it's still a little on the orange/tan side. I'm going to give this another try and perhaps get a second opinion on the color. This stuff is expensive (I paid around $40 for the loose powder), but does what it claims.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2007 4:00:00 PM More reviews by acvdep

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm really reallly impressed with this foundation. I had tried mineral makeup a while back and was really unimpressed & found the whole thing cumbersome & messy to deal with. However, more recently I've been very shocked after reading some books (Drop Dead Gorgeous is a good one) about the amount of toxins in cosmetics, and their potential health consequences, like cancer & infertility. As a person who wears foundation on a daily basis I've been on a quest to find a natural & non-toxic alternative and I am so glad to have found JI.

I've also tried Kiss My Face, Illuminare, Jane Iredale liquid, and Everday Minerals... and this continues to be my favorite. I have normal to dry skin in the winter, and have always preferred light coverage, more natural, dewy looking foundations... so I was really not excited to try powders, but this stuff looks amazing, almost gives my skin a creamy look & has a nice dewy glow to it. I apply using a kabuki brush. Overall, this does not give superior coverage, but it does what i want a foundation to do, which is to blend & even out my skintone. I set with the JI Hydration Mist for an even more dewy look, and find that very comforting in the winter months. I notice that the main reason others do not like this is that they can not find a color match, however, Warm Silk is a perfect match for my LLL, yellow undertoned, NC20 skin. My only gripe is the price, I wish it were more affordable, about $40 for a full size jar.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2007 12:48:00 PM More reviews by gemini36

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an ok product. However I don't find that it covers much at all. I will use up the samples but I won't repurchase a full size. I believe it has titanium dioxide.
Just a tip from a M/U artist friend of mine; this or anything w/titanium dioxide is not recommended for taking pictures, because no matter what color you use you will look like a ghost in your pictures. Just thought I would mention this since I notice alot of people complain that it makes them look chalky.