April 19, 2014 | 833 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Lasting Silk UV Foundation SPF20

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2010 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It seemed counterintuitive to both me and to the Armani rep when another SA recommended that I try Lasting Silk foundation. I had just commented that I dislike matte foundations and the pasty, flat look that always seems to call for rebuilding the face from foundation on up.

I'm always game to try something new, though, and with an hour to kill I let the SA dab, brush, and smooth Lasting Silk onto my face. I had to wait for the makeup to oxidize (turn lighter) and then the SA pronounced it a perfect match even as I felt it was a touch too light (shade 5).

What wowed me was the lack of flatness and powderiness. Lasting Silk is sheer, light, and yet it covered nearly all imperfections. It felt weightless, which was a plus, because I dislike liquid foundations and always think I can feel them on my skin, clogging my pores and greasing me up.

And here we get to the part of the story where I ended up spending an extra hundred dollars. The SA rubbed his hands together in anticipation of a larger sale and shared a recent new trick he'd learned from a guru Armani artist who'd paid a visit to the store.
This trick was "warming up," and it is accomplished by using bronzer mixed with Armani's flyweight translucent powder.

The colors of the Armani bronzers terrified me. The one he chose looked brown and ruddy and all wrong, and yet dashed with the translucent powder and buffed into my skin it did indeed warm me up.

And so I bought all three products, and I have been using them happily ever since. The SA was so pleased that he sent me a thank-you note (must have been a slow day, and I also bought a lipstick).

Nuts, Bolts, and Why Do I Need to Spend Almost Sixty Dollars on a Foundation?

For someone whose last foundation cost a whopping three dollars on eBay, I am a nut for spending twenty times more. Or not: Lasting Silk lasts without separating and the color stays true. It's got the high SPF factor, and it has a beautiful, semi-matte finish that doesn't mask or flatten. It makes a perfect base for blush and highlighter (and that bronzer I bought) and it doesn't turn powdery and contribute to product build-up in fine lines. It simply leaves your face in soft focus.

Although it is recommended to dab the product on with a sponge and then blend with foundation brush, I use my fingers. I find that the sponge and brush soak up too much of the product, which has a thin consistency. The product applies more sheerly with the brush, but "sheer" in this instance looks invisible.

Coverage is buildable. I have found the best effect is by applying primer and letting the primer set (I use Face Time Velvet Veil). Because of the thin consistency of Lasting Silk, applying on top of a wet primer leads to needing to use another coat.

Two pumps is enough for my face and neck. It isn't possible to get one and a half pumps. No one thought of that midway contingency, so two you get. You can use the extra in areas that need more intense coverage.

Lasting Silk feels great on the skin. My highest recommendation, and even more so when I consider how dry my face has been this winter. (And if you want to know the trick to warm up, take some small grains of translucent powder first, then pick up the bronzer and do the reverse 3 application on the cheekbones, then dust across the nose and the chin. Or try a darker shade.) continued >>

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by FaceGrab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is the best foundation on the market. it's won multiple awards, you can expect the same caliber of quality from his foundation as one would expect from Giorgio Armani's apparel. I don't think GA has ever created anything that doesn't look stunning, and his makeup is no exception to that. I've found that this application technique works best for me: One pump into palm, dab swatch of foundation onto seperate areas of your face (you can concentrate on areas where you might need more coverage), using Sephora Professional HD brush, blend foundation all over, using light strokes (hold brush closer to end of the handle), in circular sweeping motions. For spots that you may be trying to conceal, dab a spot of foundation on top of the blemish and w/ HD brush, dab with light, quick motions until blended.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2010 12:06:00 AM More reviews by lipstickfashionista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Well, I guess I'm still on my search for the perfect foundation. I like the smoothness of this foundation and the subtle sheen that it gives--and also like that it contains SPF 20 (most foundations only go up to 15). However, for some reason I'm having difficulties finding the right color, that looks natural. It doesn't seem geared towards Asian women like me. Something about the undertone makes it look slightly mask-like on me. For the winter months, I'm also finding it drying. I've actually switched over to Bobbi Brown's moisture rich foundation for these reasons--that yellow base undertone and the formulation is better for my skin. I like it okay to finish up my bottle, but probably won't keep buying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by bethschwarte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have to say that the hype about this product is correct! I love it . On vacation in Las Vegas , I was matched by an sales associate at the Armani store in the Bellagio and it was a perfect match. I was given number 5( I have medium neutral/warm skin in MUFE 118 and MAC NC25) .first i apply my make up for ever mattifying primer and then I only have to use a very small pump on the back of my hand and blend it on my face a bit at a time. The finish looks flawless and it lasts all day. I highly recommend this product for those with normal - combo skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2010 10:38:00 AM More reviews by mule84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm sorry, I just can't get this to work for me. This foundation has glowing reviews, but it's not for me.

I purchased this foundation after trying it on instore and liking what I saw. In practice, though... it's a different kettle of fish. I find that it is difficult to apply. I found that the best way is to either moisturise, or spray my face with Fix+, put one pump on my fingers and dab and blend it lightly (VERY lightly) onto my face. This gives a satisfactory finish.

At worst, when applying with a foundation brush, or a stippling brush, I find it is impossible to blend and very very cakey.

It tends to highlight any flakies I have (and I have oily skin) and it clings to the teeny hairs on my face. I also find it difficult to blend, perhaps because it dries quiet quickly. In photos my skin looks nice, but in real life after a while the foundation tends to migrate into pores and any dry spots you may have.

Try this for yourself, because it obviously works for a great number of people, but I would suggest definitely wearing this foundation out of the store before purchasing, because it looks very different in real life...

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2010 12:24:00 AM More reviews by ligeia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVERY PENNY. I almost don't have words to express how thankful I am for this... I have really upset skin and this stuff made my life so much easier. I was slated to act in a film two weeks before I start acne treatment and needed something that would cover major blemishes yet look natural in extreme close-ups and under heavy lights. I didn't worry about my skin at all. Yes it's expensive but if how you look on film or in photos matters to you, think of it as an investment and one less thing you have to worry about.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2010 10:16:00 PM More reviews by stingrae1625

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've worn this fdtn 6 out of the last 7 days and I love it. At first, I wasn't convinced that the color was right, but it does seem to be a pretty perfect match so long as I don't wear my Chanel DP powder over it (the Chanel shade is slightly orangier and was giving my face a weird shade). I wear shade 021 Linen in Dior Nude and a combo of Sweet Almond and Golden Medium in Everyday Minerals and in this I was matched to a 5.5. I wear shade 2 in Face Fabric, for comparison. I would say that my skin is dry but will tend towards shininess pretty easily. Lasting Silk UV doesn't make me shiny at all. It covers everything up but somehow still doesn't look like you are wearing makeup. It does cling to really dry spots but does not settle into lines or pores. I think you could get away with not wearing any powder over this, but I've been wearing BE Mineral Veil over it and I'm not sure it's even a good thing...I'm waiting for my Luminous Silk Powder to arrive by mail, so once that gets here, I'll see how that tops it off. Most makeup does tend to disappear on me by the end of the day but this doesn't...it really does last! I've tried two different brushes for application and I prefer a regular fdtn brush (Sephora's Professional Fdtn Brush; the other one I used was Sephora #55 Airbrush). Scent isn't noticeable, either, which is a plus. So far, no irritation or breakouts. As of right now, I'd say this is worth the money and something I will repurchase! If I change my mind, I'll be back to let ya know!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by TRGIRL66

1/29/10 Update - This foundation is HEAVY...I have tried everything and it's just not working which is a totall bummer considering the price. It just is not working and settels in every pore even with primer and pore minimizer. Will probaably be adding this to my swap list.

I am in the group who has tried a ton of foundations. Recently got into a foundation slump, using various minerals. I got two generous samples of the Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Foundation from Nordstroms and the #7 matched me perfectly, that in itself was a miracle. I used the sample for a few weeks, and couldn't wait to make a purchase.

This goes on beautifully, I am using Stila's foundation brush. I find the brush better then fingers. It does stay on all day and I don't need to powder at all. I have normal skin. I do use Clinque Pore Minimizer to finish off.

I received a sample of the GI primer, nice but I wouldn't spend $58 for a primer.

I have NEVER in all my years buying a foundation called one my HG but would say this is (at themoment anyway).

PS for traveling just pump out into a small sample jar, it lasts a few days.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 11:01:00 AM More reviews by machrina

I use it everyday for the past two weeks and i love it. Its light sheer to medium coverage, lasts all day ( i use on top laura mercier mineral finishing powder) covers my acne scars and most important doesnt break me out. It has a smell but it doesnt bother me. I wear no4 ( diorskin nude no.10- laura mercier silk creme Cream ivory- chanel pro lumiere no10 - nars sheer glow deauville - double wear light 1).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by melissap1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily skin with lots of brown spots. I like a foundation that won't make me oilier and has good coverage. I was on the hunt for Guerlain Parure Extreme when I came across this. It goes on very smoothly, has good coverage, and doesn't contribute to the oil on my face. It stays on all day and evening until removed. The color I use (4) isn't a perfect match, but with a little bronzer I can darken it up slightly. It is best applied with the Armani foundation brush. I'm really happy with it overall.