July 25, 2014 | 1302 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Hydrating Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2013 2:58:00 AM More reviews by Penlatysan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was in the hunt for a cheaper alternative to my beloved First Aid Beauty Cleanser when I thought I would give this a shot. I have VERY sensitive skin. Even Cetaphil irritates it. I also have skin that's seasonal and goes from being dry/ combo to combo/ oily. Right now it's more on the oily side as it's getting close to summer. However, I once heard a skin expert say that NO ONE, not even people with the oiliest skin, should ever use "foaming" type cleansers because they basically strip your skin of everything which is very bad in the long run. So I tried the hydrating one.

Pros:
The pump bottle is convenient
Didn't irritate my skin (which is a pretty amazing feat)

Cons:
Didn't cleanse my skin. Like, at all. After I used this I ran a tissue over my face and foundation came off! And it's not even long wearing foundation!
It smells like finger paint. I should know, I work with 1st graders.
It has a bizarre consistency.

Definitely not an alternative for my HG FAB cleanser :(

*UPDATE*: I had to use this in a pinch a while back when I completely ran out of my other cleanser and didn't have time to drive 45 mins to the nearest Sephora to buy more. After using it for several weeks it actually kind of grew on me. You really have to massage it in thoroughly for several minutes to get a cleanse out of it. I also stopped noticing the smell after a while, and I got used to the texture. It's still not the best cleanser I've ever used, but it's pretty good, and I would probably use it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by littlemissash133

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fair, sensitive, combination skin. My skin tends to break out near my cheeks and my jaw line, while my face is very dry. I've tried many different cleansers in search for something that would stop my breakouts without being too harsh on my sensitive skin. This cleanser is exactly what I was looking for. After reading some reviews on here, I decided to spend the $12 on it, which is a lot for me. I was skeptical at first since it is not an anti-acne product. After using just once, my face felt soft, smooth, and clean. It did not break me out at all, and it seems to have prevented breakouts. I'm on my third bottle of this stuff, and I'll continue to use it forever. I absolutely love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by lulabell7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will probably use this for the rest of my life. My skin feels supple, soft, smooth, and I haven't had a pimple in three weeks. I also have super sensitive skin that gets red, dry, and irritated and now that is all in the past! woohoo (: love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 1:07:00 AM More reviews by ASBLeen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have sensitive skin that tends to get congested and dry around my nose and forehead, but is fairly normal everywhere else. I switched from Purity to Cerave about three weeks ago, and my skin is SO happy!

I use this with my Clarisonic, and it works wonderfully. To do this, I remove all my make up with remover, wash my face once with Cerave, then apply facewash both to my face and my Clarisonic and wash. It is so gentle and so far, three weeks in, my sensitive skin has had no reaction.

I like this better than Cetaphil because the ingredients are much better. There seems to be more research behind the ingredients in Cerave than in Cetaphil. Also, with Cetaphil, my face never really felt clean; I know this just takes some getting used to but I think Cerave is just as gentle but leaves less of a film.

I pair it with a gentle Dermalogica tonor and follow with a moisturizer. Be sure to exfoliate since this gentle face wash obviously does not do that job :).

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by rachrachrach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Staying far away from cerave. Broke me out something awful. Thankfully, I always test on my chin and part if my neck, so no break out on my face. Still have lingering pimples a week out. I can't say if its the hydrating or foaming cleanser, or the lotions since I was desperate to try something new to help relieve my super dry skin, neither products helped in that department, either.

Oh I hate the texture and feeling of this! I OCM occasionally and the oily feeling doesn't bother me, but this stuff just feels odd on your face, and does not feel like I'm actually cleaning my face at all. My face did not feel any more hydrated after washing off, either.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by misanders

This cleanser is very good. I had tried cetaphil and didn't like it very much so never tried this until recently. This is nothing like cetaphil. I have sensitive skin and this has worked great. I wash my face twice at night ( to remove makeup) then once in the morning. I haven't had any redness at all. For me that is a major plus because most cleanser make my chin red. I've finished a bottle and will probably buy another.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2013 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Joanne1029

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've never used this product just with my bare hands; I use the Sephora facial brush in conjunction (which I recommend). It's non-irritating and hydrating. My skin feels clean and refreshed after every use. The one setback is that if you didn't have a tool such as a facial brush, it would be difficult to remove your makeup. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

This was a total DISASTER for my face. I had been recovering from the worst breakout of my life and had started retin-a a month ago and my skin was pretty irritated and peeling. Even Cetaphil was bothering it. I had heard amazing things about this. At first I loved it. It was so soothing and left my skin feeling incredible, soft, moisturized, and very happy.

Then the next day I had some bumps on my forehead. Not inflamed nasty zits, just some bumps. I thought, OK maybe it's something else. Then the next day I woke up with more clogged pores than I'd had in weeks and two MASSIVE zits in places I've never even had zits before. I gave it one week before giving up because I just had so much clogging and congestion. My skin was just going very downhill as a result of this cleanser.

I did a tea tree and clay masque and switched to another cleanser and the congestion got way better. What a shame, I REALLY wanted to like this. It's taken me over 2 weeks to recover from this disaster.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2013 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Mai333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My dermatologist gave me a sample of this a few weeks ago. Not only does it feel really strange when putting it on (really thick and lotion-y) it has also done little for my skin. Even though the redness eased up slightly when I first started using it I have actually been breaking out worse than ever. This is super un-fun since I'm starting a new job next week! My dermatologist also told me to never exfoliate even though when I've used St. Ives, sugar scrubs etc. in the past my skin felt much cleaner than with Cerave. I've heard that you have to use a product for three weeks to notice any kind of results, but I also believe that we know our skin better than that and if it's not working, it's not working.

I would not recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by pr0cessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

MoonKitty wrote a great review below, summarizing the pros & cons of this cleanser.
It's a simple, straightforward, no-frills cleanser that does what it says: cleans without irritating or drying sensitive skin.
I have combo skin and trying to cut costs, bought this as a less-expensive replacement for my Clinique extra mild facial cleanser. I don't miss the clinique at all.