November 25, 2014 | 1812 users online

Cleansers - CeraVe - Hydrating Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Crstna36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just bought this but haven't tried it yet so I will update and change lippies if I need to. I'm posting first without trying because after reading only one page of reviews in my age range I felt the need to say something of importance:
This is a FACIAL CLEANSER. Not a MAKEUP REMOVER! I get frustrated at people who complain about a product, thus bringing down ratings, when they are not using the product for its intended purpose. If you wear makeup use a makeup REMOVER first as its intended purpose is to remove makeup. Then use a facial cleanser to, yes! cleanse your face. Maybe some people want to do just one step and that's fine. Find a product that's purpose is a makeup remover and facial cleanser in one. However, those with sensitive or dry skin may find such a product too harsh. Try a cleansing oil, makeup remover cloths, balm, or cream that's sole purpose is to remove makeup, THEN use this Hydrating Cleanser to clean your makeup free skin. I bet at least 50% of people who gave a bad review will be much happier with this product.

The reason I purchased this particular cleanser is to use after my Alpha-Beta, Glycolic, or TCA peels. All of my other cleansers are the foamy kind and are too harsh on tender post-peel skin. I'm hoping this does the trick as I'm doing a second round (one per week) tonight. After 4 rounds I'm going to do my yearly TCA peel. The reason for the weekly peel is to prep my skin for the BIG PEEL, TCA.

I promise to update next week after using this cleanser for several days and give my opinion of the product itself. No more preaching, I promise!

09/24/13 ***!UPDATE!***
So, I have finished my series of 4 Alpha/Beta peels (15% Salicylic Acid & 50% Glycolic Acid, all pH 1) and am letting my skin rest and rejuvenate before doing a Jessner's + 20% TCA Peel. I have to say that the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is absolutely perfect for post-peel cleansing. I do use DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to remove my Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion PA+++ SPF 60 because that stuff is waterPROOF and needs an oil to remove it. I don't wear makeup post-peel so I just rinse off the DHC instead of using a cloth like I normally would. I follow up with the CeraVe and it's fantastic. It does not dry out my skin and does do a good job of cleansing. I have even rotated it into my cleansers to use if my face feels particularly dry, stressed, or if I've over done a facial. So I'm keeping my lippies and recommendations the same. (Side note: the reason I list the actual name of what product I'm using is in case someone wants to try it. I've read other reviews where someone raves about a product but doesn't mention the name of something I might like to try. So I hope that helps.)

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by amyc016

I LOVE LOVE LOVED this...felt very cleansing and didnt even have to moisturize after. I have dry/sensitive skin and get pimples every once in awhile. After about a month of using this my forehead completely broke out. I don't usually have pimples on my forehead so i went back to my old Phisoderm facewash and it took a couple weeks but it went back to normal. I really liked this except for that :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm late to the Cerave love fest. I have used the PM moisturizer and repurchased it once, liking the effective moisture from a light lotion. I tried this cleanser and I am impressed. My skin is holding on to moisture better than ever before and I'm wondering if perhaps I had a problem with my skin barrier being disrupted. All I can say is that my very dry skin is now not as dry overall and even if I skip a day or two. I don't expect this to take off all my makeup, so I do that before I cleanse if I use this at night. This product is magical to me, I suspect it's the ceramides in it that help with that protective barrier.. I'm noticing that my makeup is not evaporating on my face like it would when my skin is so dry. I am thinking about trying the cream as well at this point.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Laurad01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My bad rating is based solely on the fact that this stuff does not remove makeup at all. I don't have acne or sensitive skin, or any problems at all that would necessitate using this product... Just tried it for the heck of it, and hated it. I don't like having to wash my face repeatedly to get makeup off at the end of the day. Would not purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2013 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Paintedlily62

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This didn't work well for my skin (perioral dermatitis, combination). It left my skin a bit dry and irritated on first use.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 1:14:00 AM More reviews by Reilly2059

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have extremely dry and sensitive skin and have had eczema my entire life. I never used to use a facial cleanser, just water and occasionally makeup remover. I tried the Cerave Hydrating Cleanser after visiting my dermatologist who highly recommended it. It has been absolutely wonderful. It calms down my redness, and has helped with the dryness! My biggest piece of advice is keep at it! Results aren't instantaneous. After about two or three weeks I noticed improvements. Definitely worth trying! Can't beat the price either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Flassie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I am so surprised this product doesn't have better reviews! I love this soooo much, it is definitely hg status to me.
I first bought this cleanser when I was on accutane, because I needed a nice gentle cleanser for my delicate dry accutane skin. However now that my skin is once again oily I continue to use this. It feels so nice, and not stripping at all. My skin always feels so comfortable and moisturized when I wash my face with this. Also I have quite sensitive skin, and this product has never clogged my pores or made me breakout, if anything it soothes my skin so that I don't break out.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just don't like this stuff. I remember trying it years ago and not liking it then either but figured I'd give it another try. I appreciate the ingredients this has (no sulfates, has ceramides and hyaluronic acid), but compared to Cetaphil, it just doesn't clean my skin as well - and Cetaphil itself takes some getting used to at first. It also has a slightly chemical scent, which is no big deal. But for a gentle cleanser, I'd much prefer Cetaphil. Perhaps people with really dry skin would like this better, but for my combo oily skin, it just doesn't do it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My skin is loving this cleanser. Putting it on feels like TLC for my face. I do believe this cleanser is truly "hydrating", it leaves my face lightly moisturized, smooth-feeling, and not at all tight or dried out. The texture of the product feels luxurious on the skin, just so soft and slippery... I don't know why, I just love the feeling of rubbing it into my face. Kind of reminds me of the Fresh Soy Cleanser, but possibly better. This has been a great cleanser for the redness in my skin as well: I have stubborn redness around my nose, and my pimples get pretty red as well. While this product has not gotten rid of this issue (I kind of doubt anything will), it does not irritate it or make it any worse. Half the battle with this redness is that it typically gets inflamed after washing my face and doesn't subside for quite a while. But with Cerave and lukewarm water, this does not happen- my nose stays a light pink colour that is easy enough to correct with makeup.

The shortcoming of this product has already been said many times: it doesn't remove all makeup. However, it removes MOST of my makeup. I wear a tinted moisturizer, concealer, powder, blush, and my eye makeup can vary from heavy to light depending on the day. I actually don't use another cleanser to get off makeup, I just use a washcloth to rinse off the Cerave and this helps a lot. It can remove light eye makeup very thoroughly, but sometimes trace amounts of mascara or eyeliner are left over, so I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil to clean this up after cleansing. I also follow up with a toner and I do see some trace amounts of face makeup on the cotton ball, but not much. Most of it seems to come off the undereye area, so I think it's the concealer, not the TM or powder. So, if you wear a heavier, concealing foundation, Cerave on its own probably won't do the trick. It works well for me. (I'd kind of like to try the Cerave foaming cleanser to see if it's better for makeup removal, but foaming cleansers dry me out as a rule so I am hesitant. We'll see.) I use this in the morning as well and typically don't bother with a washcloth then.

All in all, I would buy this product again because I think it's a wonderful, gentle cleanser that is good for skin, doesn't dry me out or break me out, works well for the amount of makeup I wear, and comes in a nice big bottle for a decent price. (The packaging could be prettier but that's hardly a deal breaker for me- it's what's inside that counts!) I recommend it for everyone but especially for those with dry skin or chronic redness/rosacea.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by anovice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this in the shower in the morning-- it doesn't remove makeup but it is a nice, simple, gentle fash wash.