October 20, 2014 | 902 users online

Hair - Moroccanoil - Moroccan Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 12:03:00 PM More reviews by adara260

I bought into the hype of this product and bought it after trying some drugstore versions, pure argan oil and this Kenzia brand version of argan oil/ moroccanoil dupe. I DON'T think this lives up to the hype at all.

Sure this product smells great and defrizzes but nothing extraordinary than other products. In fact I prefer that Kenzia brand better because it was "runnier" and I could put it in my hair after washing and it would soak right in and detangle all my knots out. The Moroccanoil is much heavier and doesn't detangle my hair on its own. I still have to wrestle a comb through it. Sure this product defrizzes if you put it on after you've blow dried but not any better than a much cheaper product.

Overall:

In the order of my preference of argan oil hair products: 1-Kenzia 2-Josie Maran 3-Organix 4-Moroccanoil/ pure argan oil. I will use this product up and not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by AestyPase26

Loved the product but hate the price... Too expensive when I can buy Jojoba Oil from Whole Foods for cheaper and it'll do the same thing for MUCH less!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by Kimmymmik

I was told to use this product by a friend who is a hair stylist. I wasn't sure at first because of the price but I was desperate and gave it a go.
I really like it! I have very long and thick hair which I recently dip dyed so its safe to say that it wasn't at its healthiest! The oil has really helped and made it look so healthy and lush!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by snowpeach06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I get why everyone was so excited with this product, it makes my hair soft and smells great. However, my hair has always been soft and healthy, and I don't think this product has made it any healthier. Also, my problem has always been frizz and the moroccanoil does nothing for it. Overall, it's much too expensive to use to make my hair smell good. I wouldn't re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2012 1:25:00 AM More reviews by mhunterjumper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Why are so many people are whining about silicones? Silicones are more durable than oil and can withstand very high temperatures. Oil has smoke points. Argan oil is a vegetable oil and can be used for cooking. Pure oil also goes rancid. Silicones formulated for hair create a light film around the hair shaft to keep in conditioning properties from your shampoo/conditioner and is resistant to water, so it keeps out humidity. Your choice is to go somewhere that sells pure oil and make sure you use it before it expires, or buy a product chemists have carefully designed to be long-lasting, high-quality AND versatile. You cannot get that from "pure" argan oil. If you don't like the product, don't buy it anymore!

I have wavy, fine, frizzy, color-treated and thermal-styled hair and find I can use the normal treatment to smooth down my hair. Yes, it is expensive, but I have hair just past my collarbone with a ponytail 4 inches in diameter and can use a dime-sized amount to make sure all of my hair is getting the product and lasts me a very long time.

If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. Maybe you're using too little or too much. Maybe you did the wrong thing and bought a counterfeit item online or at the grocery store. I don't mean to be bitter, but if you're on here for the sake of bitching about ingredients, please create your own hair products and get over it. Moroccanoil is one of the leading brands in my industry and probably will be until the next concept for hair is revolutionized.

11 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by lemonz4us

Hmmmm i have a lot to say about this product..

First, to those of you who gave this low ratings because it's not the real moroccan oil, you really need to understand what this product truly is. It's not argan oil, if you want the real argan oil (natural, cold pressed) then go to gardenofwisdom, or mountainroseherbs and get it from there. i bought mine from mountainroseherbs 16oz. for about 40 dollars or so. Anyway! this product is a silicone-smoothing serum. Thats IT. it smooths fly-aways and gives heat protection. --fyi ANYTHING with silicones acts as a heat protectant, silicones shield the hair from heat damage--why? you ask. its primary ingredients are silicones, then a little bit of argan oil followed by fragrant components, and finally a little bit of colorants (no idea why theyre in here though)--stupid idea on the company's part. There's absolutely nothing wrong with silicones, my hair needs them to be styled anyway, if you want the true "moroccan oil" get unrefined cold pressed argan oil. another note, Moroccan oil is a brand you know, (TM)? it's not a type of oil like coconut oil, pomegranate oil, raspberry oil etc.
How i use this
I shampoo/condition as normal, then i towel press dry my hair. Don't ruffle your hair while it's wet, you'll damage it. I then set up my hair dryer (sedu 4000i--if you're interested in what i use, i set it on lower heat, higher speed, ion button ON) then while my hair is still damp i use about a penny size amount for my hair (medium longish male hair here) and distribute it throughout my entire hair. i blow dry and literally within 3-5 minutes my hair is dry. then i cool shot my hair(ion button off) for about 2-3 minutes, get a tiny bit of the moroccan oil, maybe 7-8 tiny drops and put it where i'm going to flat iron. then i iron my hair straight(GHD pro). i finish with a few drops of shu essence absolue and my hair is ridiculously soft and smooth, tell a friend !
Why i love it
Tis' true, this is only silicones and shouldn't be anything special. but the silicones the company used, and the proportions they use in the lab is some sort of perfection. Because i've tried many silicone serums and heat protecants and none made my hair tHiS un-frizzed and soft. Plus this helped my hair stay straight at night, you know those cold nights where you go outside and instantly your hair frizzes and gets curly from the dew in the air. Some people claim that the original oil discolors their hair(blondes) or that it weighs their hair down, thus the "light" version was born. My hair is fine and heavily highlighted and i experienced neither.

what i dont like.
-the price, this is ridulously expensive, .85 oz set me back 16 bucks, so i guess ill try getting the bigger size 3.3oz for 40 bucks, ive seen an even bigger 6.8 oz size for 60. but who knows if it's real or not.
-lack of parabens, yeah i said it ! i WANT this product to have parabens or some sort of preservative in here. why? they prevent the product from going bad, and prevent nasties from growing in your products, parabens aren't bad like the department stores claim. what this lack of parabens means is that you have to use this product within the 18 month span that's listed on the bottle, which is a shame because i can easily see a 3.4 or 6.8 oz bottle lasting me over 2 years with daily use, thus saving me $ and justifying the price of this product.
- availability and autheticity, this product is faked quite often, which makes me apprehensive , when i consider ordering it online (i've read many reviews on amazon of fake products being sold to consumers, yikes!) and the moroccanoil website isnt helpful, the mobile (cellphone) doesnt work and the desktop doesnt even have a salon locator like it should i've looked).
-Packaging,travel-ability. The package comes in a screw off top, heavy dark amber glass bottle, not very travel friendly. I don't like that it doesnt have a pump either. but it still get the amount i need easily, i can scoop what i dont need back into the bottle with ease. not a huge issue though, i can buy a bump for the bigger sizes.
-The scent. yes i know this may come as a shock, since this seems to have a cult following for the scent. but i dont like it, in fact at first i hated it, i just tolerate it now. it's too powdery and musky for me, i want something sweeter and less powdery. put it's not an issue now, i'm pretty used to the scent.
-lack of benefits/additional ingredients. I wouldve like to see this with at least some kind of UV protectant like shu uemura's essence absolue or other beneficial ingredients. not just silicone and a little oil.

Oh by the way this isn't moisturizing, despite the company claims. remember it's just silicones, so it seals the moisture you do have into the cuticle and blocks out anything from getting in. Nobody ever goes in, nobody ever comes out, think willy wonka and the chocolate factory when it comes to silicones. For that reason, like anything with silicones, you'll need to clarify once in a while so that your hair can readily accept moisture and other goodies for the health of your hair. Constant usage of silicones without clarifying will dry out the hair bc no moisture can get in. Silicones make the hair feel amazing at first but after a while, they can have those bad effects, do NOT forget to clarify. i recommend redken cleansing cream.

what i've tried ( Redken heat glide, PM super skinny, joico color endure oil, KS EU, one n only, shu essence absolue, organix ginger oil, organix dupe, proclaim argan oil, chi silk infusion, KS chroma thermique, kiehl's straightening cream, marrakesh oil, and others..) I will continue to try other things i';m sure

Despite all the minor things i don't like about moroccan oil, the benefits and things it does for my hair far outweigh it. It transforms my hair to gorgeousness like no other.I will always be on the lookout for dupes to save $ and if i find something better i will let you know !

20 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by karinogi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm using this as my treatment now. It moists my hair and gives it a healthy shiny look everyday. The hair feels like silk, I love touching it. Hey I dont need extra efforts anymore to style my hair, just wash it,apply the serum, comb it...perfect.
Previously I used Kerastase Elixir Ultime, it's a great product too, but as my hair is thick and dry, I find that moroccan oil works more effective. Definitely will repurchase this product! :)...though it's pricey

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Eh, well I definitely didn't lose anything by trying this since my hair stylist/friend gave me a maybe 75% full bottle of this for free since she wasn't using it anymore. I don't like the smell, smells like mens cologne. But it works okay, doesn't make my hair greasy if it's just on the ends, makes it soft and shiny. But I've tried better products that are waaay less money, thus the very average rating, and why I won't purchase this if I ever use it up (a little does go a long way).

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by sawyer01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It was amazing for the first month, it really made my hair shinny and healthy looking, but after a month it did NOTHING to my hair! If i put it or didnt put it in my hair would look exactly the same

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by cattitude

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This stuff made my hair look and feel healthy and shiny. I liked the smell too. It's expensive but a little bit goes a long way.

This product is full of silicones, and I know that some people think that silicones are the devil in hair product form. However, my hair loves silicone products.