April 18, 2014 | 821 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 12:15:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am not fond of this. I like sexy and spicy scents, but not this one. It is a VERY dark and heavy fragrance, sultry. Too me when I smell it a picture of a dim room decorated in red velvet and dark oak comes to my mind. I think the reason alot of people say it is an 'old lady' scent is because all of our mom's/grandma's wore it. My mom still wears it and loves it (almost too much, she OD's on it). I tried it twice but I just do not like the 'depth' of it. It's spicy with an almost foresty/deep mossy undertone on me ~ it's very cloying. I don't think it is the worst perfume I have tried, it's just not me at all. Seems too heavy for summer as well. I won't purchase this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by jd-jd

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing the bath oil. This is a dark cola-colored oil in a flat bottle with an unremarkable cap. The scent is very 70's-80's (spicy floriental.)

The notes:

Top notes: Orange, Bergamot, Peach, Aldehydes, Middle note : Clove, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Cinnamom, Base notes: Amber, Tolu, Patchouli, Peru Balsam

As you can see, this is spicy-fruit with a base of amber and patchouli, but I swear there is something a bit animalic in the base as well. A few drops suffice to scent the bath. If you like LUSH, you might very well love this as it's a bit hippy-patchouli spice. The scent is definitely old-school and I would not wear it as a perfume, but it makes a luxurious oriental-style bath oil. Like Lancome's Magie Noire, it harks back to a different age.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 11:01:00 AM More reviews by ScotchNSmoke

Adore it (suddenly and recently) but USE SPARINGLY. Or use the body powder.

And I'm not an old lady - I'm a 35+ professional but can no longer stand sweet stuff - fruity florals are out, anything gardenia is aack, can't take Piesporter, pop/soda, sweetened anything. Give me good black and green teas, naturally flavored fruits and veggies, scotch and Campari, oaky tannic red wines, arugula and gorgonzola - and Opium, Tabac Blond and Youth Dew in small quantities.

The key with a fragrance is never to overwhelm - its more of a Zen thing. Wear a bit that captures interest, draws others in, give you yourself a bit of an olefactory thrill during the day - do not gas anyone with the fumes. And that means you, lady on the elevator yesterday who reeked of raspberries and grape jelly. Take it back to Victoria's Secret or BBW and tell them that it made you smell like a Strawberry Shortcake Doll! Horrors!

Obviously Youth Dew has its haters, as well as its lovers, as it is strong and edgy - but how many modern niche frags are strong and edgy too? Would they be getting their love if they were sold at the Estee or Clinique counter instead of internet or NYC/Paris only? Let's not get carried away with categories or overly impressed by marketing machines (and the niche and the indie market just as much as the commercial - just in different ways).

So, call me an old lady if you must, but keep your Happy and your Kenzo Amour and your Angel away from me, my good handbag, my Halmari Estate broken leaf orange pekoe, and my Youth Dew!!

23 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2008 11:12:00 PM More reviews by carela13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I do not rate this as old lady because it would be disrespectful to my grandmother whom love. She also dislikes this fragrance very much. I rate this fragrance in the category of unpleasant or hidious. It is by far, one of the most offensive perfumes on the market. It smells of skunk musk. This and another fragrance that comes to mind come close in their interpretation of skunk. It stays on your clothes too. The very color of it hints of what the fragrance will evoke. It takes a very unique person to wear this and pull it off. . .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2008 4:49:00 PM More reviews by sherrie09

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hope when some of you become "old ladies" some young "ladies" will say your perfume stinks like old ladies! That said, Youth Dew and I have been on-again off-again over the years. It is indeed potent, and you must be careful with that. I smell a lot of patchouli in it. I've had the lotion, bath oil, and edp. The lotion is particularly nice, imo. The bath oil is rich, spicy, rosy, and vanillic. Recently I was at an Estee Lauder counter and sniffed the YD edp bottle, and it smelled sweeter than I recall from years past. I'm rather in the mood for it again, so I may purchase a small bottle. Youth Dew is considered a classic. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and never was, but it is a classic, broke new ground in its time, and there is something to be learned there if you have the interest.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2008 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Nixe

I used to use the deodorant in this, and for many years, I've been smelling this at the counter every once in a while. To me, this is the epitome of sweet, sweet, dark, syrupy woods and humidity, and although I don't love to wear it any more, it's a beautifully nostalgic scent.

It makes me feel like a teenager in the first throws of romance in a blazing hot, sticky summer in the innocent, suburban/rural 1950s, basking in newfound womanhood. I could be wearing crisp blue gingham and share some lovely secret words with my mother on a white, eyelet lace bedspread with the hot summer breeze floating in through the window, before dabbing this on from it's perfectly classic blue bottle with gold script, and gaily skipping downstairs to sit on the porch swing with a new romantic interest while fireflies float around and crickets sing our serenade.

There are absolutely no edges to this fragrance. It's golden, rich, sticky and deep, and I can't imagine a more unique and innocently sexy smell. Youth Dew is the perfect name for it, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 1:47:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I know that on some women this might be amazing..and if that's you then enjoy it--life it too short to give up something you love because other people don't like it. However, for me its a headache inducing NIGHTMARE. I've rarely hated a fragrance as much as I do this one...one possible reason is that a woman I worked with used to literally BATHE in this stuff ...I wasn't able to get to know her well because I couldn't stand to carry on more than a minute long conversation, because I held my breath the entire time--no joke. I don't pick up the nuances that some of you do, because my reaction to this has and always will be to hold my breath until I can get out of the elevator or out of the building away from it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2008 3:05:00 PM More reviews by snarkyharper

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Four words: Try The Bath Oil. It's an entirely different experience. The edp is as dark and heavy as the grave, so thick and dense you can't hear what it is trying to say. But a bare drop of the bath oil on your wrist, and you are suffused with the glow of warm-spicy-woody-musky goodness.

My mother uses just a bit of the bath oil every once in awhile; she is quite the old-school perfumista, and she ALWAYS smells fabulous.

Seriously. Try the bath oil and you might be pleasantly surprised. It is hard to believe it is the same fragrance as the edp.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2008 11:28:00 PM More reviews by ACJ78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Whew! My aunt sprayed this on me so I could see what it was like. I think she has the perfume concentrate, and after scrubbing with soap and water (twice!), it still smells so strong. I am not sensitive to perfumes, but obviously this is an exception. It is uncomfortably intense. I know this is gross, but it makes me think of an old lady that hasn't showered and sprayed on a ton of perfume to cover it up. To call this cloying would be the understatement of the century.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Brunneria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My partner and I went into a department store yesterday, and he passed me his Xmas bonus gift card, and said 'We don't leave here til you have spent it on yourself.' Wonderful man, eh?

So I wandered around, looking at a few things, and we reached the perfume section. Well, my problem with most perfumes is that they turn to cat's pee on my skin - don't think I am joking! There are very few that stay acceptible, and only 3 or 4 have ever been pleasant enough for me to wear for more than an hour without resorting to soap and water. Some of them even make me nauseous.

Add to this joyous picture the fact that the vanilla-fruit-sweet-sickly-light-as-a-froth-celebrity-whiffs that seem so fashionable always remind me of a friend who breathed bubblegum over me for most of my childhood... and you can guess that my trip round that perfume counter was fairly fast. Grin.

And then I saw the Youth Dew bottle and thought, haven't I heard of that? Wasn't there something about how horrible that one was...?

So I picked it up and took off the lid and took a suspiciously tentative sniff. Oh my, I was flooded with warmth, with spice, with resinous woody, hints of floral, depth and colour.

Immediately, I knew that even if it didn't suit my skin, even if cat's pee followed any physical contact, even if I was spraying this on my clothes, not me, it was coming home. But of course, the next stage was to try it, and then it got better!

On me, on my funny, acidic, temperamental, irritatingly inconvenient skin, this perfume softens, mellows, the sweetness fades, the tones balance and harmonise, it gentles, deepens, dries widens. And... my partner likes it too.

So, for all of you who don't like this - and there are many - just spare a thought for the few of us who get on with this sublime creation. It has taken 41 years for me to find this glorious scent, and I hope to be enjoying it for 40 more.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No