November 28, 2014 | 1986 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

UGH!!!! You want to smell like a 90 yr old Grandma..Use this!! By far some of the most horrible, overbearing fragrance I have ever smelled in my life! Maybe it worked in the 60's but this stuff REEEEEEEEEKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Do not buy it, unless you need a Christmas present for Grandma!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised by how hated this fragrance is. Surprised and perplexed. My husband can't keep his hands off me when I'm wearing it. He says it smells great and is conflicted because it is both work-appropriate and devastatingly sexy all the same time. I'm a nurse and I work in a nursing home. I wear just one tiny spritz of the EdP between my breasts and get nothing but compliments from men and women of all ages all day. All year round. All I hear is "You smell soooo good." "You smell like the Lush store." "You smell so clean and aromatherapy-ish." However the compliment I get the most is "You smell so glamourous and comforting at the same time. What are you wearing??". I also wear the bath oil. Some days I wear a dab of the bath oil rubbed into both forearms and the spritz of EdP between my breasts and it's never too much and always, always. always elicits compliments. Especially in the dry summer heat! I always have a dusting powder as well. Funny thing too, when someone asks me what I'm wearing and I tell them, the reply is always "oh yeah, that's my favourite." *shrug*

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I dislike this scent very much. I really hate scents with jasmine. Didn't realize that initially, but one by one every scent i cannot bear, turns out to have jasmine in it. Okay, I hate it. There I said it!

My mother in her 70's, also hates it. When someone gave it to my grandmother with the powder as a set years ago, my grandmother hated it! She would wear it only when she saw that person so as not to offend her. Because of that, she had it for years kept in a dresser drawer. I hated the way the drawer smelled, how even the room seemed to be overwhelmed with the scent a day or so later if you just opened the drawer. Then my mother got some as a gift some years back and said she would not even wear it when seeing that person, she couldn't, hated it that much. I have to admit, it made me kind of queasy. I love angel for ex, and know it's another love it or hate it. I get that many scents are, and respect anyone's right to love this. For me it's everything I don't want in a perfume. I smell this in passing on someone and I seriously have to get away from that person. It's a visceral, "blech!" for me.

Scents are very personal and as long as one does not over do it (um,you know who you are!;) I respect those who find something, stick with it, even it's not the latest thing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 3:00:00 AM More reviews by fpih

I am one of those who used to despise Youth Dew and all those heavy perfumes (opium, coco, etc) until last year when either my taste or my hormones changed completely. Now, I love this kind of perfumes and Youth Dew is one of my favorites. It is incredibly round and soft and warm without any sharpness (Cinnabar does that for me, it'sthe replica of Youth Dew plus spice on my skin) and NOT overpowering. Even during the hot Greek summer I can wear this one and it doesn't smell heavy or dark. Unfortunately, on me it's so soft (all heavy scents tend to disappear quickly on me) that I can't imagine it making its presence known during the winter, so I bought Cinnabar instead which is more distinctive with its extra spice. But as a perfume, I find Youth Dew a much better, smoother blend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 12:15:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am not fond of this. I like sexy and spicy scents, but not this one. It is a VERY dark and heavy fragrance, sultry. Too me when I smell it a picture of a dim room decorated in red velvet and dark oak comes to my mind. I think the reason alot of people say it is an 'old lady' scent is because all of our mom's/grandma's wore it. My mom still wears it and loves it (almost too much, she OD's on it). I tried it twice but I just do not like the 'depth' of it. It's spicy with an almost foresty/deep mossy undertone on me ~ it's very cloying. I don't think it is the worst perfume I have tried, it's just not me at all. Seems too heavy for summer as well. I won't purchase this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by jd-jd

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm reviewing the bath oil. This is a dark cola-colored oil in a flat bottle with an unremarkable cap. The scent is very 70's-80's (spicy floriental.)

The notes:

Top notes: Orange, Bergamot, Peach, Aldehydes, Middle note : Clove, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Cinnamom, Base notes: Amber, Tolu, Patchouli, Peru Balsam

As you can see, this is spicy-fruit with a base of amber and patchouli, but I swear there is something a bit animalic in the base as well. A few drops suffice to scent the bath. If you like LUSH, you might very well love this as it's a bit hippy-patchouli spice. The scent is definitely old-school and I would not wear it as a perfume, but it makes a luxurious oriental-style bath oil. Like Lancome's Magie Noire, it harks back to a different age.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 11:01:00 AM More reviews by ScotchNSmoke

Adore it (suddenly and recently) but USE SPARINGLY. Or use the body powder.

And I'm not an old lady - I'm a 35+ professional but can no longer stand sweet stuff - fruity florals are out, anything gardenia is aack, can't take Piesporter, pop/soda, sweetened anything. Give me good black and green teas, naturally flavored fruits and veggies, scotch and Campari, oaky tannic red wines, arugula and gorgonzola - and Opium, Tabac Blond and Youth Dew in small quantities.

The key with a fragrance is never to overwhelm - its more of a Zen thing. Wear a bit that captures interest, draws others in, give you yourself a bit of an olefactory thrill during the day - do not gas anyone with the fumes. And that means you, lady on the elevator yesterday who reeked of raspberries and grape jelly. Take it back to Victoria's Secret or BBW and tell them that it made you smell like a Strawberry Shortcake Doll! Horrors!

Obviously Youth Dew has its haters, as well as its lovers, as it is strong and edgy - but how many modern niche frags are strong and edgy too? Would they be getting their love if they were sold at the Estee or Clinique counter instead of internet or NYC/Paris only? Let's not get carried away with categories or overly impressed by marketing machines (and the niche and the indie market just as much as the commercial - just in different ways).

So, call me an old lady if you must, but keep your Happy and your Kenzo Amour and your Angel away from me, my good handbag, my Halmari Estate broken leaf orange pekoe, and my Youth Dew!!

23 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2008 11:12:00 PM More reviews by carela13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I do not rate this as old lady because it would be disrespectful to my grandmother whom love. She also dislikes this fragrance very much. I rate this fragrance in the category of unpleasant or hidious. It is by far, one of the most offensive perfumes on the market. It smells of skunk musk. This and another fragrance that comes to mind come close in their interpretation of skunk. It stays on your clothes too. The very color of it hints of what the fragrance will evoke. It takes a very unique person to wear this and pull it off. . .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2008 4:49:00 PM More reviews by sherrie09

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hope when some of you become "old ladies" some young "ladies" will say your perfume stinks like old ladies! That said, Youth Dew and I have been on-again off-again over the years. It is indeed potent, and you must be careful with that. I smell a lot of patchouli in it. I've had the lotion, bath oil, and edp. The lotion is particularly nice, imo. The bath oil is rich, spicy, rosy, and vanillic. Recently I was at an Estee Lauder counter and sniffed the YD edp bottle, and it smelled sweeter than I recall from years past. I'm rather in the mood for it again, so I may purchase a small bottle. Youth Dew is considered a classic. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and never was, but it is a classic, broke new ground in its time, and there is something to be learned there if you have the interest.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2008 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Nixe

I used to use the deodorant in this, and for many years, I've been smelling this at the counter every once in a while. To me, this is the epitome of sweet, sweet, dark, syrupy woods and humidity, and although I don't love to wear it any more, it's a beautifully nostalgic scent.

It makes me feel like a teenager in the first throws of romance in a blazing hot, sticky summer in the innocent, suburban/rural 1950s, basking in newfound womanhood. I could be wearing crisp blue gingham and share some lovely secret words with my mother on a white, eyelet lace bedspread with the hot summer breeze floating in through the window, before dabbing this on from it's perfectly classic blue bottle with gold script, and gaily skipping downstairs to sit on the porch swing with a new romantic interest while fireflies float around and crickets sing our serenade.

There are absolutely no edges to this fragrance. It's golden, rich, sticky and deep, and I can't imagine a more unique and innocently sexy smell. Youth Dew is the perfect name for it, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No