December 21, 2014 | 1881 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by bujiyama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: I'm changing my mind on this one...Decided to work with this mascara a bit and see if I can use it differently to get better results. I found that if I wipe off the wand very well with a tissue, the mascara works very nicely and I'm actually quite happy with it. D'oh! Also, since cleaning the wand caused me to have a lighter coat of mascara, it now comes off well with cold cream or eye makeup remover. So, I take back my bad review and would purchase again. I guess even mascara deserves a second chance....

ORIGINAL REVIEW (Done a bit in haste...)
The only thing that was colossal was the clumping and very difficult removal of this product. It smudged as much as any other mascara. I hate the clumped "spider eyes" look but want volume and definition. Even when I combed my lashes this didn't look clean or natural for me. It took several attempts with different cleansers to remove this mascara, so I'm not buying this one again. I had good experience with Maybelline Great Lash long ago. Maybe I should have tried that one again instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by jennabethh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I like the mascara very well. I will most likely purchase again.
I have very straight lashes, and I find that if I curl them and then apply mascara, they lose their curl. Easy fix for this is to curl, use a waterproof lengthening mascara for the first coat (i find that waterproof mascara holds curl 100% better), and then I use my volumizing mascara overtop!

I like this mascara because I can apply multiple coats and it doesn't clump. A bit spidery now and then, but it may just be because I've had the tube I have now for a few months.
Time to go out and get a new tube!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 7:44:00 AM More reviews by anjalisharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I loved it for 3 months in which I used it regularly and after which it seemed to loose it's potency. Right now using Clinique and Estee Lauder and I find this one is comparable to any highend mascara. What I love most about this mascara is it holds the curl. The color is nice and deep. It irritated my (lens wearing) eyes after 3 months so I stopped using. It's affordable and doesn't flake. Very buildable, which I find most drugstore mascaras tend to look spidery after 2 coats and/or won't hold curl. It's not my HG (I loved Loreal length something) but for the price, I will repurchase; I've been wanting to try the flasies/flase lash one though.

Update: Flakes a lot of 3-4 months, irritates eyes. But for the price, 3 months of almost daily use is good use for the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This makes my lashes look very full. It's also not as drying as some other mascaras I've tried (Great Lash, waterproof version of Lash Exact, L'Oreal Voluminous). (I seem to not lose many lashes with this.) The price is great too, highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by PaolaheartsJB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

The mascara I always go back to. I've been using this for a couple years, on and off and probably always will. This mascara has a classic teddy bear brush but it somehow manages to lengthen and volumize my lashes without any clumps. All it takes is two coats and the formula never smudges or irritates my eyes. I personally enjoy the fragrance it has(it smells like roses to me) but I can see why that could be problematic for sensitive eyes. Also for those that prefer a glossy finish ex.lash blast, stay away because this one of those mascara that leaves an almost matte finish to your lashes(looks better than it sounds). Definitely reccomend this and hope maybelline never discontinues this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This mascara is fabulous! It lengthens, thickens, separates, never clumps and does not smear at all. I get beautiful long~thick~silky lashes. While the brush is nice and big it still allows me to get into the corners so that I can coat every single lash. Sometimes mascara can irritate and bother my eyes but in all honesty I have never had that issue with this mascara. I think I paid around $5 for it in Target and I will definitely repurchase when I need to. I do recommend this one for sure!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2014 8:22:00 PM More reviews by cherrykongai

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best mascara I have ever used. If Maybelline would stop testing on animals, I'd buy it over and over.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by WynterOlly

I am a MASCARA JUNKIE. I own over 40 mascaras at least, more than half are HE mascaras from Sephora or Macy's. None of them come close to this! Who knew my HG mascara would be from the drugstore!!! This mascara thickens, lengthens, and leaves my lashes soft and pliable all day. (I hate crunchy, painfully stiff lashes.) My lashes are medium length and medium thickness and black/dark brown, and this mascara makes them look insanely long, full, dark, and fluffy! This mascara is just so PRETTY! The brush does a great job separating lashes. If any clumping happens I just use a lash comb or spoolie - easy fix. I usually apply 3 to 4 coats to achieve that "false lashes" look that I love even in the daytime(: but if I'm going for the natural look, one coat looks beautiful too. I just prefer the massive lashes look which is easy to achieve with this mascara!

Cons:There is a little fallout at the six hour mark, but I touch up on makeup halfway through the day anyway so it's no biggie to brush them away. Also, doesn't hold a curl that well, if you curl lashes first. So wait for mascara to dry, and curl them AFTER. It works great and holds the curl all day this way. No matter - still my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 6:46:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict44

this is probably the best mascara i've ever used! makes your eyelashes so long and not clumpy at all, it separates your lashes and you don't have to apply many coats to make them how you want! recommend this product

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 5:28:00 AM More reviews by Milona316

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I looove this mascara. it does wonders for my lashes. it lengthens and with more than one coat, really volumizes. the brush really makes it great with it's rounded, tapered shape and traditional bristles. it is scented like roses which kinds makes it feel high end. I have bought this over a dozen times. my fave of the volume express range even though I really like most of them.