LUSH Porridge Soap

3.6

Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera), Propylene Glycol, Pinhead Oatmeal (Avena sativa), Fresh Organic Orange Juice (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus labdaniferus), Sweet Wild Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, *Limonene *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 5/24/2010 7:04:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I LOVE this soap. It smells amazing, like a nutty sugar cookie. It's a nice exfoliant, and I would always use this after swimming to get the chlorine off. The only downside is the nut pieces come off and will clog your drain if its a specific kind.

I cheat when it comes to Lush products and order what I liked in the store online from the UK. Definitely A LOT cheaper. My orders will be about 10 products for under 50$, whereas that would be impossible when buying in America.

on 5/22/2010 1:56:00 PM

Mmm. First off, the smell of this soap is divine. Very sweet and breakfast like, good for the morning :). It lathers fairly well and it is moisturizing. I love the exfoliating side, my skin feels so good after i use this. My only issue with this is that it is fairly expensive. But I must say this is one of my favorite soaps from Lush. Will repurchase!

on 5/10/2010 10:10:00 PM

Ahhhh, the scent is to die for. I love it. I will keep this short and simple. The soap lathers very well and smells amazing. There are two problems, it makes a huge mess in the shower and it does not last long. I swear in just one use the chunk of soap looks 1/4 of the size. Not very good in my opinion. I may buy it again on scent alone.

on 5/5/2010 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Garbage. Smells kind of like oatmeal mixed with wooden planks. Barely lathers, feels gritty and harsh on the skin, and doesn't moisturize in the slightest. In fact, this makes me feel dryer and less clean. Plus, it leaves an absolute mess in your tub. Like most Lush products, this is overpriced and overhyped.

on 4/25/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love how this soap smells but.....
1) The little chunks make a mess in the shower
2) It does not lather, instead it is sticky
3) The smelll does not stay on my skin

on 4/22/2010 11:12:00 AM

I’ve just recently become a Lushie convert, after many years of searching, I found two HG skin products at LUSH, which made me eager to see what other products might also be HGs for me. Not so sure yet if this is a HG, but definitely a favorite and likely to be a repurchase for my dry, sensitive skin.

Porridge is a soft soap, with a sweet, baked cookie smell which I guess is the molasses in the ingredients. As this soap, like the others at LUSH cost considerably more than drugstore brands, I don’t use LUSH soaps under direct water to maximize the lifespan of the soap. I step into the shower stream to get wet, and then step out to scrub and lather the soap against my moist skin. It has oat “bits” in it to help exfoliate, gives off some lather and leaves my skin soft and smooth, similar to results I get from L’Occitane’s grape shower oil (which has been discontinued) except L’Occitane has a nice lingering scent afterwards. FYI, the portion of Porridge I am reviewing is moderate size and as such I have not yet encountered some of the other downsides I have heard about this product, such as leaving too many oats on the shower floor and having difficultly drawing the soap from the oats when the piece gets small…will have to update as the soap gets used up.

To help minimize soap shrinkage, I make sure that all my LUSH soaps are dried properly and out of water when not in use; for storage ease I suggest using a Japanese plastic tofu strainer box (bigger is better), which I bought at a high end chef store, but it can also be found on ebay. For extra moisture, I suggest following up with a LUSH massage bar. Overall, Porridge is a good product that I would recommend trying out and likely repurchase.

PROs:
Light lather and exfoliation
Pleasant, sweet “baked cookie” smell
If it doesn’t work for you, it can be returned…
Leaves my dry, sensitive skin soft and smooth.
Provides some moisture
Full of good ingredients, i.e. sunflower and coconut oil
Less costlier than other LUSH soaps ($1.93 +/- per oz) - similar price range to other handmade soaps

CONs:
Ingredients include Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Proper after use storage needed to minimize soap shrinkage
Little to no “fresh out of the shower” scent

on 4/20/2010 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing scent, but it doesn't last on the skin very long. I had no problem what so ever washing it off of my skin. The exfoliants in it sometimes come off on my skin but it's never a mess to clean up. Although if you're leaving it in the shower and not taking it out to dry after (like I forgot to once) it does leave a brown residue.

Love love love it. Will rebuy the second I run out.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

When I was in the store, my cousin fell in love with it at first sniff. I thought it smelled weird at first but I kept smelling it to see why she loved it so much and I could see why. It's so warm smelling, like porridge and molasses. It's SO good. I think this is one of LUSH's more creamier soaps. I would like this even more than I already do if there was a version without the oats in it, because even though it's made for sensitive skin, it's still a little abrasive on my skin. It's one of their cheaper soaps, but this is my favorite soap from LUSH, with Honey I Washed the Kids in a very close second.

on 3/22/2010 7:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

When I smelled this soap in the store I could not put it down. It reminds me of pancake syrup. And I love me some pancakes.
Pros:
1. I think it lathers pretty good and creamy. I turn the water off and rub it on my skin so I can get the maximum exfoliation
2. Smells so good especially when your using it. Anytime I'm in the bathroom I take a sniff of it.
Cons:
1. I hate that the smell does not linger on your skin. But It goes great with the elf milk and honey lotion.
2. It makes a mess in your tub when the things fall out and because the soap is brown. But I find they rinse down pretty easy. Its just the brown that’s hard to clean for me
3. Packaging/ storage. I cut it up into 3 pieces and had no idea what to do with the other 2 pieces. I'm still tring to figure out a way to store them.
4. I want to eat it but I cant :(
Would I buy this again? Yes even if I only sniff it lol

For me, this is one of those products that I had such high expectations for, and was so excited to get. It was my first handmade soap I have ever used, so I should of probably looked more into ingredients. I RARELY have a problem with breaking out or getting rashes... But man this really gave me some dry, red, flaky skin. I was so upset because I love the warm maple scent, and I even enjoy the ground up walnuts in it (or almonds), I was looking forward to a good exfoliating bar. I guess I should look else where. The pricing was not bad though, for a handmade soap.