April 20, 2014 | 1759 users online

Gels/Soaps - LUSH - Porridge Soap

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by raroux

Amazing scent, but it doesn't last on the skin very long. I had no problem what so ever washing it off of my skin. The exfoliants in it sometimes come off on my skin but it's never a mess to clean up. Although if you're leaving it in the shower and not taking it out to dry after (like I forgot to once) it does leave a brown residue.

Love love love it. Will rebuy the second I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by hellomarshmallow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When I was in the store, my cousin fell in love with it at first sniff. I thought it smelled weird at first but I kept smelling it to see why she loved it so much and I could see why. It's so warm smelling, like porridge and molasses. It's SO good. I think this is one of LUSH's more creamier soaps. I would like this even more than I already do if there was a version without the oats in it, because even though it's made for sensitive skin, it's still a little abrasive on my skin. It's one of their cheaper soaps, but this is my favorite soap from LUSH, with Honey I Washed the Kids in a very close second.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by slew84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

When I smelled this soap in the store I could not put it down. It reminds me of pancake syrup. And I love me some pancakes.
Pros:
1. I think it lathers pretty good and creamy. I turn the water off and rub it on my skin so I can get the maximum exfoliation
2. Smells so good especially when your using it. Anytime I'm in the bathroom I take a sniff of it.
Cons:
1. I hate that the smell does not linger on your skin. But It goes great with the elf milk and honey lotion.
2. It makes a mess in your tub when the things fall out and because the soap is brown. But I find they rinse down pretty easy. Its just the brown thatís hard to clean for me
3. Packaging/ storage. I cut it up into 3 pieces and had no idea what to do with the other 2 pieces. I'm still tring to figure out a way to store them.
4. I want to eat it but I cant :(
Would I buy this again? Yes even if I only sniff it lol

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2010 12:54:00 AM More reviews by alyssamariemua

For me, this is one of those products that I had such high expectations for, and was so excited to get. It was my first handmade soap I have ever used, so I should of probably looked more into ingredients. I RARELY have a problem with breaking out or getting rashes... But man this really gave me some dry, red, flaky skin. I was so upset because I love the warm maple scent, and I even enjoy the ground up walnuts in it (or almonds), I was looking forward to a good exfoliating bar. I guess I should look else where. The pricing was not bad though, for a handmade soap.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2010 6:32:00 PM More reviews by LushieLove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

So, i bought this product because its really popular and smelled pretty great. So of all the lush soaps, its a little on the cheaper side, which is great. I also find it hard to clean up, the oats stick to my tub, and dont wash down, so i have to take the time to clean it up. Ick.

Pros:
great smell
decent defoliator
cheaper than most other lush soaps

Cons:
scratchy
annoying to clean up

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Adriana265

I bought this soap last summer after reading good reviews for it on MUA - I was intrigued by its appearance, and the name sounded too good to resist ^^ The description says this contains orange juice and orange oil, which sounded very good to me as I'm quite fond of citrusy scents.

Despite the orange, I don't smell that when I sniff this bar of soap. To me it smells like brown sugar with a hint of floral...quite a creamy sweet smell. I used to despise it, but now I really like it!

The soap is a beige colour and has lots of oats running through it. I don't find the oats to be too sharp or chunky. The soap contains Lush's patented palm-free base of rapeseed, coconut and sunflower oil. It also contains organic orange juice and sweet orange oil, as well as pinhead oatmeal. Oranges are detoxifying, and oatmeal is anti-inflammatory and can relieve itchy, irritated skin.

I don't think this lathers too well. And sometimes, I find the oats to be really harsh on my sensitive skin. I remember once I had a pimple on my chest (ewww, I know!) and the oats made it bleed...it was painful. Also, my skin gets a little red when I've used this sometimes. The oats are a bit scratchy on my skin. However, it does leave my skin pretty clean, and doesn't dry it out much at all.

I've had my bar since last summer and still have so much left. I didn't get a big chunk either...I use this about 3 days a week, so it does last a really long time! This is one of LUSH's cheapers soaps at £2.50 per 100g...so it won't break the bank either.

Overall, I quite like this, despite the fact if you scrub too hard with it, it can leave your skin looking red raw. Like I said I wasn't keen on the smell at first, but it has grown on me, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 4:26:00 AM More reviews by xenakkitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this when I've have a bad day!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 4:17:00 AM More reviews by UDMAC

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this smells delicious but thats about it. its not the most drying soap ive tried from lush but i bought it for the exfoliating aspects and the exfoliating bits are useless unless you take the bar and rub it directly on your skin which makes it go really fast since its a "softer" soap. even doing that doesnt provide enough exfoliation for me though, and i hate that the big bits are messy.im quite disappointed since the SA said this made her skin a lot clearer and brighter which didnt happen for me. the scent is like HIWTK, which is great but it doesnt last on me. im not sure if ill repurchase considering the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2010 1:32:00 PM More reviews by jesstorious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells good, too many nuts/seeds though. Makes it hard to clean with the actual soap and it gets all over the place. A little bit too exfoliating as well. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 4:26:00 AM More reviews by Elfarran

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this soap for so many reasons. The smell is very pleasant to me, it smells like brown sugar and honey and delicious. I love that it lathers easily (unlike several other Lush soap bars). And I actually like the oat bits. They make this soap stand out from regular soaps, I can use them to exfoliate in the shower and they get my hands super-clean without making my skin super-dry. I found that it is perfect for cleaning swatches on hands and arms, especially the stickier, more resistible ones (like paint pots).
Mine came with different amounts of oat pieces within the bar, they have settled on the lower part most likely during manufacturing. I've cut mine into smaller pieces. I made sure to have a 'less oat bits' part and a 'more oat bits' part within one piece, thus I can always choose if I just want to wash my hands or if I need the kinda exfoliating part of the bar.
I think you have to learn how to use this soap bar if you are concerned about scratching your skin. Don't use too much pressure and always build a strong lather with the palms of your hands before you apply it to the back of your hands and your wrist. The palms aren't as sensible to pressure and a bit of scratching whereas the wrists and the back of your hands are bonier and have less fat reserves (that can absorb pressure). So, use with caution.

Overall, this is one of the best soaps Lush has ever made. Will repurchase.