September 17, 2014 | 2002 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2009 3:13:00 AM More reviews by nattyngeorge

You are suppose to run the sponge under water, then squeeze the excess water out and then squeeze dry it in a towel. Then the way you are suppose to apply this is in a stippling motion, just like you would with a skunk brush (duo fibre brush ex: MAC 187). So, I put a dollop of foundation in my palm and did just that. I lightly dabbed the sponge and stippled it on my face. I noticed that I had to go back and put more foundation in my palm a couple times, which i never have to do. Meaning, it was eating up my foundation. It did put my makeup on evenly, but it did not cover well. It put my makeup very thinly on my face and I could still see redness through my makeup, which would never happen when applying with my foundation brush. Another thing was this thing reaked of fresh rubber. The smell actually gave me a headache and made my hands smell like rubber. I've washed it quite a few times but the smell is still a little bit present. What I did like was that the sponge comes to a cone shape at the top, so it is very easy to get to areas around your eyes and around your nose, which is difficult with a brush. Also I liked that you are really in control of how much is going on your face. Sometimes when I use my brush, too much foundation will sit in some of my fine lines.. like my laugh lines on the sides of my lips, but with the blending sponge it applies the makeup on so thin that it doesn't happen.

I think this could possibly work very well with a creme foundation such as MAC Full Coverage Foundation, RCMA, Cinema Secrets or Ben Nye Foundations.. But it didn't work well with my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I will not be using this to apply a full face of foundation, I will only be using it for touch ups.. which it works very well for that.

A lot of people love this, so don't let my opinion change your mind. It has worked great for many people. Just not for me. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2009 11:25:00 AM More reviews by CinnamonDish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this sponge...the price is pretty good and the sponge helps to blend my makeup flawlessly. The only problem I have is that I feel like it absorbs too much foundation and I have trouble cleaning it. Other than that, I would contnue to use this, although I think I'll look for other options.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 10:21:00 AM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

thought I liked it for a bit there but is a waste of money i rather use my fingers to blend it into my skin! the fingers are the best beauty tool...

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Kaos

Great product! My foundation goes on smooth and even. I also use alot less! My only complaint is that after 2 months of use - bits of it are coming off. Other than that it is wonderful! Will buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 8:26:00 PM More reviews by sincityshopper

I really like this sponge. I use liquid foundation and always apply with my MAC foundation brush and I have some of the wedge sponges for light touch ups here & there. I saw the reviews for this on You Tube and decided to hunt one down at my local Target. It was the last one on the shelf so I snagged it. I used it damp and it worked really well. I will continue to use it and possibly replace it when I need to.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 6:53:00 PM More reviews by vhemminger

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm not really a fan of makeup sponges or brushes when I apply foundation. That said, I really do love this product. I find it to be really top notch when applying my foundation. I use a stippling method with this and sometimes I slightly wet it for an even more airbrushed effect as I go over my foundation again. My problem still is that I do not use sponges that often so I tend to only use this when I have alot of time to apply my makeup (if I'm going out at night, for example).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 2:44:00 AM More reviews by LeeleeBell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this (in purple lol) a couple of months ago and am still using that one...Today I bought a backup because I love it so much. It just blends foundation in perfectly...I have dry skin and tend to get dry patches despite exfoliating and moisturizing regularly. This sponge gives that "airbrushed" finish people talk about and also, the thinner end is perfect for blending foundation under the eye and around the sides of the nose/nostrils. Another use: I blend my foundation (either mineral or liquid) with a mixing medium to thin it out...and use this sponge to apply over my face, for a great smooth & even finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 4:08:00 AM More reviews by piyopiyo127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i haven't bought the pink beauty blender from sephora so i can't compare, but i have this and it works great for me! it makes putting on liquid foundation so easy, fast, and efficient! my make up takes me minutes now in the morn and this really makes it go on effortlessly so there's barely any need to blend it out.
i got a purple one though fr my target (yep, it's fr sonia kashuk but i haven't seen the blue one in my area). i washed it w/ my cetaphil gentle cleanser and it seems to be cleaning just fine the only problem is i've only had it for like 2 1/2 weeks and now i notice bits of it coming out when i wash it so i don't see it lasting me more than 4 weeks MAX. this is kinda expensive in the long run if i pay $10 a pop for this and have to get a new one every month whereas a brush would last me.. well, practically forever.
if you don't mind shelling out the money, than it's definitely worth it tho. imma go back to get more, or maybe shell out for the pink beauty blender to see if that'll last longer (supposedly 3 months for a $20 one, or $25 for a pack of 2) b/c it really is SO MUCH better/faster for liq foundation in the morning that it's worth it for me for the time it saves!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 2:26:00 AM More reviews by SonyaAdams

The blue peep is a god-send to liquid foundation. It's great to teach teens how blended their foundation should be because it's VERY hard to screw it up! I use this in my T-zone only and brush the rest to save on time. It works wonders!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 2:00:00 AM More reviews by mudpud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I, too, have fallen prey to the blue peep craze. I originally bought it to help my inept self apply liquid foundation b/c I just couldn't get the hang of applying it w/ a foundation brush. Here's how I use it: wet sponge thoroughly, squeeze excess water. Pour a small amount of liquid foundation on the back of your hand, dab the sponge into that. "Offload" the excess foundation on another [clean] part of your hand. Start to apply by dabbing sponge on whatever part of the face needs it (I usually just apply in the t-zone). Powder as (or if) needed. Done. I have since ditched liquid (again) in favor of my true love, powder foundation, and have found that applying it DRY w/ the blue peep using the same pouncing-technique gives me light-medium coverage (enough to even out my skintone) that still looks natural. Here are some other observations: I clean the sponge w/ brush cleaner (MAC), which works better than the shampoo I was using -- no foundation residue is left on the sponge at all. We'll see how the high alcohol content of the cleaner affects the peep in the long run. Also, I am currently using Shiseido Perfect Smoothing Compact Foundation, which is much softer and looser in texture than their Powdery Foundation (which is hard and densely packed). Using a kabuki brush made powder fly everywhere and a traditional powder brush left brush marks in the cake. The flat sponge that's included gave me too much coverage (=mannequin face). The blue peep is the perfect application choice for me w/ this particular foundation and I'm very happy w/ the combination of the two.