Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge

4.1

Sponge

At first, I was extremely skeptical about this sponge. It feels almost rubbery, not smooth likes the little wedges I used to use. I was kind of disappointed when I first used it, but after watching a few videos on Youtube, I gave it another shot. My foundation looked amazing! The trick is you need to sort of bounce it against your face. The flat end of the sponge is great for putting foundation on your cheeks/forehead, and the pointed end is perfect for under your eyes and around your nose.
A while ago I decided to try the Ulta Professional Highlighter brush, supposedly an amazing Mac 187 dupe, and I used it only 3 times before running back to this sponge. For only $10, these are fabulous and make applying make up so easy. I'm already on my 4th sponge and I don't plan on ever going back to applying my foundation with a brush or wedge.

on 9/28/2009 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Seems as if I lucked out on this one, although it works great for others, just not for me. I've had mines for 3 months now and still doesn't do anything grand for my expectations. I needed to use a "ton" of liquid foundation(s) in order to achieve a descent amount of coverage and still it did nothing to hide any imperfects I may have had. Needless to say, after just a few washes (tried everything I had, including my MAC cleanser) it still wouldn't rid the foundation/concealer off my sponge...which means, it started to crumble :( That being said, it made be break out so bad!!! Sadly, I would not purchase this again!

on 9/26/2009 3:13:00 PM

I guess I'm a believer now. I've had this for about a month now and use it to apply liquid and mineral foundations. I've tried the smalller end with concealer, but it lifts too much of the product for that. I've just discovered it is a great mineral makeup applicator. I accidentally left my EDM flat top at a friend's house and used this until I got a chance to go back for it. It applies both powder and liquid foundations smoothly. I've used it stippling and smoothing and both methods work really well. It seems really durable, so I don't know when I'll need to buy another one, but I will.

on 9/17/2009 3:13:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

You are suppose to run the sponge under water, then squeeze the excess water out and then squeeze dry it in a towel. Then the way you are suppose to apply this is in a stippling motion, just like you would with a skunk brush (duo fibre brush ex: MAC 187). So, I put a dollop of foundation in my palm and did just that. I lightly dabbed the sponge and stippled it on my face. I noticed that I had to go back and put more foundation in my palm a couple times, which i never have to do. Meaning, it was eating up my foundation. It did put my makeup on evenly, but it did not cover well. It put my makeup very thinly on my face and I could still see redness through my makeup, which would never happen when applying with my foundation brush. Another thing was this thing reaked of fresh rubber. The smell actually gave me a headache and made my hands smell like rubber. I've washed it quite a few times but the smell is still a little bit present. What I did like was that the sponge comes to a cone shape at the top, so it is very easy to get to areas around your eyes and around your nose, which is difficult with a brush. Also I liked that you are really in control of how much is going on your face. Sometimes when I use my brush, too much foundation will sit in some of my fine lines.. like my laugh lines on the sides of my lips, but with the blending sponge it applies the makeup on so thin that it doesn't happen.

I think this could possibly work very well with a creme foundation such as MAC Full Coverage Foundation, RCMA, Cinema Secrets or Ben Nye Foundations.. But it didn't work well with my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I will not be using this to apply a full face of foundation, I will only be using it for touch ups.. which it works very well for that.

A lot of people love this, so don't let my opinion change your mind. It has worked great for many people. Just not for me. :(

on 9/9/2009 11:25:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I like this sponge...the price is pretty good and the sponge helps to blend my makeup flawlessly. The only problem I have is that I feel like it absorbs too much foundation and I have trouble cleaning it. Other than that, I would contnue to use this, although I think I'll look for other options.

on 8/18/2009 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

thought I liked it for a bit there but is a waste of money i rather use my fingers to blend it into my skin! the fingers are the best beauty tool...

on 8/8/2009 11:35:00 PM

Great product! My foundation goes on smooth and even. I also use alot less! My only complaint is that after 2 months of use - bits of it are coming off. Other than that it is wonderful! Will buy again!

I really like this sponge. I use liquid foundation and always apply with my MAC foundation brush and I have some of the wedge sponges for light touch ups here & there. I saw the reviews for this on You Tube and decided to hunt one down at my local Target. It was the last one on the shelf so I snagged it. I used it damp and it worked really well. I will continue to use it and possibly replace it when I need to.

on 8/7/2009 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm not really a fan of makeup sponges or brushes when I apply foundation. That said, I really do love this product. I find it to be really top notch when applying my foundation. I use a stippling method with this and sometimes I slightly wet it for an even more airbrushed effect as I go over my foundation again. My problem still is that I do not use sponges that often so I tend to only use this when I have alot of time to apply my makeup (if I'm going out at night, for example).

on 8/3/2009 2:44:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this (in purple lol) a couple of months ago and am still using that one...Today I bought a backup because I love it so much. It just blends foundation in perfectly...I have dry skin and tend to get dry patches despite exfoliating and moisturizing regularly. This sponge gives that "airbrushed" finish people talk about and also, the thinner end is perfect for blending foundation under the eye and around the sides of the nose/nostrils. Another use: I blend my foundation (either mineral or liquid) with a mixing medium to thin it out...and use this sponge to apply over my face, for a great smooth & even finish.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools