August 30, 2014 | 610 users online

Powder - Clinique - Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by gioja

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading lots of good reviews I wanted to try this makeup because I’m always on the quest for the perfect powder makeup. I have bought this in Neutral Fair and I have to say that it matches my skin tone perfectly. So good, that when I apply it I can’t see the difference between my skin and the powder. The only thing I see it that my skin becomes even, bright and flawless. The first result is slightly matt and “powdery”, which I really like especially in the t-zone, but after a while, as soon it starts to melt with my skin, it becomes almost dewy like with a liquid make up.

The coverage is light-medium but buildable, depending on how much you apply. The first time I made the mistake to apply lots of the powder with a big brush at once. The result was cakey and it started to itch around my nose. Then I learned to apply it like mineral makeup, starting with few amounts using a kabuki brush and adding some more where more coverage was needed. The secret for a natural look is: use less and BLEND, BLEND, BLEND. It has to really melt on or in your skin. I use circular movements like old fashioned shaving brushing (I remember my father doing that :-).

It is not long lasting and I need to blot my nose after some hours. If I want the flawless look back, I just sweep a bit with the tiny brush on my t-zone. It doesn’t oxidize and doesn’t change colour. I have used it on long haul flights of over 30 hours and so far it was the only makeup that always looked impeccable and was extremely easy to remove and to apply again wherever I was.

I have also to say that I love the new compact as it is really small and handy so that I can carry it with me and use it whenever I want. Also the tiny brush inside is very good for touch ups or for the final powder finish. Only for the full makeup effect I would recommend a kabuki brush.

It is also a good base for eye’s makeup making it long lasting. Only thing is that the blush I used to use doesn’t show off or disappears quickly on this makeup and I have to reapply it often or to use a stronger colour. But the effect is always very natural.

UPDATE: I have seen that this is not so long lasting and I have to apply tons of it in order to last. I still love the flawless finish but is it better over a liquid foundation.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by LillyWish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about this powder!

Pros:
The color nr 1 is a perfect match for my fair skin...
This does not break me out....EDIT: THIS MADE ME BREAK OUT SO BAD IM STILL RECOVERING!!!
My skin looks smooth and the powder doesnt feel heavy...
It melts on my skin after some time and makes it look natural...
I always get compliments on my skin when I use this powder!

Cons:
It seems to melt off my oily skin somehow...
It caked around my nose and lips (I was using MAC SF Concealer)
Doesn't control oil

So I really don't know about this one!

EDIT: I loved this powder to begin with. I used it everyday and then I started to get really DEEP acne on my chins and it didnt start to recover until I stopped wearing this. Im still recovering and my face is not the same. I keep this now in my car ICE and I had to use it the other day and it looked so white and ashy that people thought I was sick......... I am so surpriced other people here arent talking about breakouts?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by znapkracklenpop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

i really like this powder because its so easy to pick up product with my makeup brush and its so easy to apply! i have this color in 'deep' and although it looks dark in the pan, its actually not that dark when you put it on your face. FYI for clinique's stay matte powder i use 'stay golden'. the coverage is good and it makes my skin tone even and it has spf! will definitely repurchase

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by beeb11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was AWFUL!! I was matched to the color "deep." It is so weird because that color was too dark, yet greyish at the same time!! I immediately washed it off, so I do not know what affect it can have on very acne prone and sensitive skin like mine. Just steer clear of this!! If you absolutely must have a clinique powder, try the stay-matte, it wasn't good enough for me but it was a heck of a lot better in terms of color matching than this crap!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2011 11:04:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

For the past few years (since having my first child and now two years post-preg), my skin has been sooooo finicky. I've been acne-prone for years, but never overly-sensitive. Well, I'm definitely in the realm of having very sensitive skin these days. Because of that, I've reseated my mom as "Return Queen"... nothing I try ever works. That was the case with makeup until I found this powder. Amazing... it has incredible coverage, doesn't irritate, and keeps me looking great for nearly 8 hours without blotting/retouching. I apply by patting my Ecotools retractable kabuki into the powder, then lightly pat it all over my face one section at a time (swiping more powder as needed). For blemishes and red spots, I apply a little more just on the spot w/ an old MAC eyeliner brush. I've hit pan and repurchased a few times which is unheard of for me! Good stuff! (I use the lightest shade offered)
UPDATE 9/2011: Still love this! :-D Never causes irritation or issues.
UPDATE 3/21/12: Still going strong with this little gem!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by AmCam28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I typically use Clinique's Stay Matte powder, but wanted to see if this had more staying power (it doesn't). I prefer Stay Matte's color range, so I'll return to that after I use this up.
Pros: SPF 15, oil free, light weight
Cons: It smells strange (all Clinique products are fragrance free), fewer color choices than Stay Matte, after time you have to scrape the top layer of product off to reveal usable powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 11:34:00 AM More reviews by curlymom2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have a lot of redness in my cheeks due to rosacea and this really does a great job of keeping it covered without feeling like I have too much makeup on. Also has not broken me out at all and I feel like my skin is less angry since I have been using it. I previously had been using Studio Fix for years. I thought I loved it, but this is far more natural looking. When I started using the Clinique I had several people tell me that my skin looked good, including my husband. I even had a woman whom I see pretty regularly in a local store ask me if I had changed my makeup and told me that I looked really good. While I was happy for the compliment, couldn't help but wonder how bad I had been looking prior to this makeup. I took it as a sign that I should stick with it. I also appreciate that Clinique's compacts are very sturdy, cheap packaging is such a pet peeve of mine.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a pretty decent powder foundation. It's odd to me that most powder foundations I try, high or low end, all end up looking the same on me. It makes me question whether higher-priced brands are really better. I went to Sephora to compare this to the Laura Mercier powder foundation that I've been contemplating buying and they seemed identical in finish and color. As with most powder foundations, this looks powdery and a little chalky on me in the morning, but looks great once my natural oils have moistened it up a little bit. And as with all powder foundations, it looks pretty bad at the end of the day with serious caking and separation. On the positive side, the #1 shade is a pretty decent match on me and only slightly oxidizes during the day, probably not even noticeable to anyone but me. It also doesn't break me out, but I feel like it could end up drying my face a bit if I wear it too often. Like I said, it's pretty decent and basic. Great for those who don't like to fuss a lot with foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Philipmom02

May I often stray for the "next best thing" i always return back to my almost powder. Just one application with the sponge gives me the natural coverage I need while giving me that "poreless" face. For even heavier coverage it works well over the new Moisturesurge TM (since everything else is DC). For those who hate the sponge, if you can find a small brush (ex the brushes from PF Happy Boosters) they fit over the plastic cover inside and it closes for touch ups if you want a brush. I really wish they would return to the old packaging they use with Perfectly Real compact. The plastic separator can get annoying to mess with.

One of the main reasons I enjoy this powder for so long is that is doesn't have bismuth (they use Boron Nitride, same as Jane Iredale) and is enough coverage to hide the extra redness in my cheeks without losing all my freckles. So I look polished without looking caked up. I have normal/sometimes oily, sometimes dry skin, and this powder lasts a good 8 hours on me without any touch ups.

I switched to Jane Iredale Purepressed Base for about a year and while I enjoyed its coverage, I didn't enjoy price. I find this a great cheaper alternative for very similar product. Both finely milled, sheer and natural looking. If you are having reactions to Bismuth I would give this a try before going down the JI line. Its half the price of the JI and gives a very similar, if not better coverage than the JI. I hope they never DC this product. Quite possibly the best one they have IMO.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 8:24:00 PM More reviews by canjice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I pretty much threw out all my concealers and foundations after getting this powder--no joke. In search of getting the perfect coverage, I had bought tons of concealers, creams, etc. Little did I know, Clinique's Almost Powder was all I needed. Got the little sucker in Neutral Fair and when used with my Beauty Blender, it gives plenty of coverage for my acne scars and it lasts throughout an 8-hour work day. Color-wise, I'm not sure it matches my NC15 Asian skin "perfectly" so I'll probably go back and get rematched...Neutral Fair is the yellowest (the swatches online even look YELLOW) but when worn, it almost seems pinkish? Although, my perception has been off many times (according to friends). Other than that, it is my HG powder/face coverage. All you really need is moisturizer and you're out the door.