September 18, 2014 | 1319 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2009 9:30:00 PM More reviews by hannebash

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! It cleared up my skin from a horrible breakout (hormonal) and causes practically no irritation. I'm very glad to have stumbled upon the reviews-this was a winner for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by blubellcows

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I read the positive reviews on PV, and I bought this hoping for a miracle. It is a thickish cream, glueish in texture and scent. It burned after I put it on, but unlike other products, this burn did not translate into a reduction in acne. On the other hand, it simply increased my number of whiteheads and clogged pores. At first, I thought it was my skin purging, but as the acne got worse and worse, I finally threw the product away. I've got extremely oily, acne-prone skin, and I do believe the thickness of this cream was what exacerbated the problem. I may look into this for use in the extremely cold winter months, but for now, I'm staying far, far away.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2009 7:51:00 PM More reviews by maritesRN

Thanks to all the reviews, I lemmed about purchasing this and am glad I did. The summer wreaked havoc on my skin...My chin broke out crazily and my oil glands went haywire. Bought this about three days ago for 5.99 at Walgreens and feel a difference already in my skin' appearance. Read the find printing and you'll see that the company who make this is owned by Neostrata, a company who truly specializes in AHAs. Try it for 5.99...can't lose and if it doesn't work on your face you can try it on dry areas on your body

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by mladkins

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Thank you MakeUpAlley! I would never have known that this product existed if it weren't for you. I found it no problem at my Walgreen's and it's some of the cheapest miracle-in-a-tub I have found. My skin is uber oily and I'm always leary of using creams, but this works fine for me. I use it at night on my face in additional to my skin care regimen. Warning - don't use it around the eyes or you'll look like the crypt keeper!

That being said, this works great on other parts of the body as well! I use it when I get out of the shower on the backs of my shoulders and my lower cheeks to keep everything smooth and baby soft. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2009 1:50:00 AM More reviews by bchristine

I LOVE this stuff. I'm on the acne.org regimen and I use this every night as a moisturizer after I use the acne.org Treatment (2.5% benzoyl peroxide). It has really helped with my acne AND acne scarring. My face looks bright when I wake up. Keep in mind that LESS IS MORE. Or else it will itch terribly. You can also use it as a spot treatment. The only con I can think of is that it balls up sometimes, not too bad though. It might just be because I use a lot of the acne.org treatment. Definitely try this!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2009 9:01:00 AM More reviews by bkaips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

For the money you can't beat it. It has really made my skin look clearer and smoother and I am just getting done with my first jar. I also use it on my arms and hands and have to say that is where I have noticed the biggest change. My skin texture has smoothed out, crepiness is going away..in general, my hands and arms look younger after many years of sun damage on them. I have spent so many years worrying about my face and completely ignored my dear old arms and hands up until about 3 months ago when I realized my face was looking pretty damn good and my arms were looking like grandma's!!
Happy to report with the help of this cream, my arms are starting to look their age!!
I will be switching to Alpha Hydrox Soufflee for my face but will keep buying the Walgreens AHA for my arms due to it works and it's cheap.....can't beat it for 5 and some change!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 10:46:00 AM More reviews by met451

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a really great product. After going to several Walgreens, I managed to find it and have been using it nightly for a few weeks now. I have definitely seen a difference in my skin, mainly that it is so much CLEARER now than before, and less oily in general. I have huge pores, and they look much less noticeable now due to the exfoliating properties of this cream. When I first started using this, I didn't use any moisturizer on top of it and my skin became really dry, now I use moisturizer after applying this, and my skin is smooth, soft and almost flawless without makeup. I can't believe how cheap and effective this is!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Sheylizabeth

Why are those who did not try the produce rate the product?

anyways,

I like it so far. First try, i applied a thin film because i was afraid my skin would have reaction, and the result, i didn't feel any tingling at all.

Next day, i applied a bit thicker than the day before, and i felt the tingles for a couple of minutes.

it's day 5 now, i have been using it on my face and neck every night, and every morning, i wake up with a soft skin. seems like my acne's clearing up too. although ia m not sure if it's because of this produce since i started to use Oxy wash Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Sensitive at the same time.

But definitely, i wake up with a super soft skin,

I guess the draw back for this product is the packaging. it's not sealed. so i am still kind of afraid to put it on everytime just thinking what if some shoppers before me put their dirty fingers in the cream.....

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by heejoh

Ok, I am now a believer! I have been using this regularly for about 2 months. I saw the reviews on here and couldn't resist. Luckily, the closest Walgreens to me is always deserted, so I had no doubt I would be able to find this. This totally keeps my skin break out free. Seriously. When I stopped using this for a few days and I broke out, I started up again and it cleared it up again. Now I will never stop. Does it erase wrinkles? Hell no. Did it make my acne scar red marks disappear? Hell no again. Maybe eventually, but for me, that hasn't happened. But my skin is fairly blemish free, and I haven't been able to say that for nearly 2 years when I initially started having another horrible adult acne bout. Really nothing worked but eventually, it just sort of subsided a bit. And now that I've added this to my arsenal, it feels like I have some control over my skin again.

It smells like sour glue. It's a strong smell, and it doesn't really go away even after you've got it on, but it's a small price to pay. The jar is ginormous and you get tons of product. I haven't made a dent in this thing... I expect this one jar to last me a couple of years. Here is how I use it: at night, I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. After I dry my face, I dab the tips of my right three fingers and my left three fingers into the cream. I don't grab tons of this stuff, a little goes a long way. Then I tap it onto my skin. DO NOT RUB! I just tap, tap, tap, lightly smacking the cream onto my skin. I avoid my eye area, and just concentrate on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. Again, I do not put this around my eyes, as this stuff thins your skin, and the skin around my eyes is already delicate and thin enough, I do not want that to get any more thin! Then I sleep with this stuff on. I did not have any purging when I started. And the tingling is minimal in the first week. If you put too much on, it will tingle more! So like I said, use this with a light touch. I recommend this for anyone with acne issues. I'm a total skeptic, but I am now a firm believer in this. And for this price, you cannot go wrong!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 9:16:00 AM More reviews by klprice1

EDIT: I just copy and pasted this reply I sent to someone else who was worried about the purging process. Figured it couldn't hurt to include it.

I've used a lot of stuff with my skin that's supposed to purge it, mainly retinoids like tazorac and differin. I think I also used green cream at one point. The weird thing is, I NEVER purged with those products, but the walgreens cream purged me like crazy! It was pretty awful. I've never really gotten white or blackheads, but the walgreens cream definitely brought some up.

I don't know if you've stopped because of the purging. Believe me, I can relate so much to the nightmare of awful purging and breakouts, so I don't blame you. All I can tell you is my experience with the stuff, which is great. I can't remember exactly (and i'm too lazy to look at my review) but I'd say I purged for at least 5 days but no longer than 10 days. And man, it was totally worth it. I guess I'll tell you exactly what I did.

First of all, I use my own version of the aspirin/Apple cider vinegar toner. Here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemId=458

I think that toner helped a ton with the purging.

I don't always let the toner dry, but it's probably a good idea to. I would pile the walgreens cream on (and I still do), but I really piled it in the beginning to try and get the purging over with sooner. It itched like crazy (again, it still does. If I don't itch my face, it gets better in about 15 minutes).

I can't remember if I've already reviewed the aspirin mask, but I'm going to check that write after I finish that. If it suits your fancy, check out my review for it, because I use the aspirin mask for spot treatments. I think that also has a lot to do with why my skin is relatively clear. I also put neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, the mint julep mask, and slightly liquefy it with visine (the visine helps with inflammation, lol). That's the gist for my spot treatment if you don't want to hassle with the review.

Honestly, I kind of liked the purging because I just wanted the breakouts to be over with. The results, in my opinion, spoke for themselves. After all the hassle of the purge, my skin was beautiful. It was better than it had ever been. I still breakout slightly around that time of the month, but it's nothing like it used to be. I used to get 3 or 4 huge cysts that wouldn't go away for like two weeks! It was so humuliating. Now, with my current routine, I get like one or two, and they're not even noticeable with some good concealer because they don't raise up. They're flat, thank God.

So, to sum up, the walgreens cream is fantastic. However, I definitely consider it to be one part of my essential routine with the toner and spot treatments.

(Original Review) I waited a month to review this so I could give an accurate review. I wish there was a way to explain how awesome I think this stuff is. First off, I've tried everything: tazorac, anti-biotics, clenziderm, drug store items, dept store stuff...literally, EVERYTHING for my acne. It especially flares up around the time of the month w/ several giant cysts on my cheeks or chin (so, pretty much my WHOLE FACE).

This stuff has literally been the first thing to prove effective (along w/ apple cider vinegar/aspirin toner), and I wish I could dance and shout about how happy I am. I only got one cyst on my chin, and it definitely was smaller, more responsive, and not as bad as they've been in the past.

@ first, my skin purged very noticeably for about a week. It was weird, because I didn't purge w/ tazorac. I definitely didn't expect that, but I actually was happy. I usually get awful cystic breakouts, but I was getting whiteheads and blackheads @ first! All the gunk and crap was literally coming to the surface before my eyes...I know that's a sexy image, but back to the review.

It also itches like hell-sometimes I want to take sandpaper to my face-but it'll go away after 30-60 min. Also, it definitely is better if you put on a lighter coat. Also, for the first week and a half I'd say, my skin was a little dry. I'd exfoliate, and then use this cream, and then I'd also use jojoba oil. Then I'd seal it in w/ vaseline, and all that really helped.

So, after all is said and done, here are the differences I see after a month:
1) my scars are significantly , definitely less obvious. They're lighter and appear to be less deep. I'm wearing less makeup-and I literally have worn makeup since I was 12, and I'm 24 (50% of my life). I've worn concealer forever, and now I can get by w/ just light foundation. Crazy.

2) Less breakouts. They're not GONE, but I imagine I'm honing my routine still, and I've seen huge improvements. They heal way faster too, don't get as big, and no red spots remain afterwards. I'd say that's as good as it'll get for me, and that's great, imo.

3) My skin is more radiant/soft/glowy/etc.

Overall, I don't know what they put in this stuff, but wow. I never have luck w/ this kind of thing. Hell, even tazorac was pretty much a bust. I'm a total believer in this walgreens cream tho.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No