July 28, 2014 | 992 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Upon the suggestion of my doctor, I purchased some Nature's Blend Biotin, 2500 mcgs. I had read the skin care board so I was prepared to NOT overdue the dosage and to drink LOTS of water. Also, because I have hypothyroidism (the reason for my hair/nail issues), and because I had a Non-Elective, full hysterectomy a couple years ago (as soon as my ovaries were removed my life-long cycstic acne cleared up in mere days) I thought I would escape the hormonal acne that had happened to others who took Biotin. I eat a plant-strong, very clean diet. I took 1 tablet with breakfast, drank a ton of water all day and worked out/performed skin care as usual. I thought, those poor other people had problems, but I won't.

WRONG!!! The third morning I woke up with 2 painful, large cycsts emerging on either side of my chin. I'd forgotten how much those suckers hurt! I thought that maybe they'd actual stop growing and go away if I perservered. NOPE!! I skipped a day, the cysts continued on, so I continued taking it for 3 weeks. More cysts emerged, and now I had painful (and weird) pimples/cysts appearing around the base of my nose and around my mouth, and then backne appeared. (I've never had backne!) I called my doctor and said I was unwilling to go through the cystic acne issues, and asked if the hair/nail results would be worth it. I was told that I shouldn't be having the acne issues because I had no ovaries. I offerred to drive in and show the gross, painful cycts to her in person. She declined.

I have ordered Swanson's 1000 mcg & 300 mcg Biotin, and will give it a very limited try (AFTER my face clears up from this round). I'm praying it will work, as I have limited options for help with my hair & nails. However, I'm not willing to battle cystic acne all over again. Sorry to have posted TMI, but, I thought it may help other women who have had total hysterectomies to know that even w/o their ovaries (and w/o estrogen replacement) they can still get cycstic acne from Biotin (if they are sensitive to it, which apparently I must be). I put "yes" I would buy it again ONLY because I am hoping that the 300 mcg tables will be tolerable--and if they are, then I will continue to use it. I gave it a 3 rating because it didn't get used long enough to help me, and I didn't want to pan it w/o trying a lower dosage first. YMMV.

UPDATE: New cysts stopped popping out on my face 2 days after I stopped the 2500 mcg of biotin. They have been very slow to heal, and are still red & are leaving marks. I took 1 week off, then tried the 1000 mcg tablets for a week; as soon as I updated this review a new round of breakout/cysts started. I've still seen no change/increase in hair/nail growth, except that my sparce eyebrows have grown thicker (hmmm... not exactly what I'd hoped for, LOL). I have stopped using Biotin and won't be using it again. I wish it had worked for me. : (

Newest Update: A glutton for punishment, I tried the 300mcg biotin tablets. Call me desperate; call me older and wishing for thicker hair and "normal" nails.... well, after 2 weeks, just call me cystic-face. OUCH! And that's after a nice long break from the last round with 1000 mcg. Even 300 mcg won't work for me. :( I tossed them all. Am sooo disappointed.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by LoveKnits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was initially interested in biotin, because my hair has been shedding for years. The initial brand I bought at the local health food store was 1000mcg per pill. I'd read about acne stemming from usage, so I was ready going into it. Literally over night I woke up to 3-4 little whiteheads. I rarely get pimples. Just to test, I took two more pills that day and the next day there were more. I stopped using them, and decided to order a different brand from iHerb dot com. They arrived last week, 5000mcg pills. I haven't had a pimple with this new brand. I'm not prone to acne anyway, but I wonder if even different brands have different temperaments?! I haven't been using it long enough to notice results on hair or nails, but as far as acne goes it might just take some shopping around?! I'll come back in a few months to discuss results of my long term biotion use...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Popcornshrimp

Cons-
Higher dose made huge, blotchy, welt looking pimples.(I've never had a problem with acne...or pimples that look this scary)
Pills are big and have an after taste (Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails)

Pros-
Lot's of good stuff comes with it like collagen (the brand I got)
Made dry skin/ psoriasis look better
Inexpensive

I bought the Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails from Walmart for around 6 dollars. It has 1000mcg (3mg) of Biotin in 3 pills. I started taking 5 pills a day because I read an article on how higher doses are suppose to help with a whole bunch of other conditions. Luckily, I happened to see this page just browsing. I rarely ever get big red spider bite looking pimples...One popped up the other day, didn't think anything of it, thought I maybe got bit by something or my new towelettes were doing it...Couple days later, another one....today a huge one sprouted in a two hour span at a salon. Anyway, lots of reviewers are having the same problem so I'm 89% positive this may be the cause. It only started doing it when I upped the dosage (I hope/think). I've been taking it for about 2 weeks and the only difference I've noticed is that dry skin looks less crunchy around the elbows. I'm a nail biter and I just chopped off 3 inches of hair today so I can't really say if it works for nails or hair. I will probably buy it again because it's cheap and has other goodies in it, IF the giant red splotch pimples go away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by snitchlit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the whole foods brand of biotin (1000 mcg) and I've been taking it for about a week so far. I was really nervous about taking it because of all the things I'd heard about it causing acne, but as someone who has struggled with severe skin issues her entire life (I used to have really terrible cystic acne: had to go on Accutane for it), I can say that I've seen a HUGE improvement in my skin since I started on biotin. I went from having breakouts all over my face to having clear skin within days (seriously, not an exaggeration).
I started taking biotin to try to help grow out my hair faster (I got a pixie cut in early September and I've been growing it out ever since). I haven't seen a huge, drastic change in terms of hair length, but I've only been taking it for a week, so we'll see what happens long-term. Even if this supplement doesn't do anything for my hair, I'll probably keep taking it because it benefits my skin so much.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by auramei

A year or two ago, I picked up a bottle of 60 x 1000mg Biotin pills and started taking them daily for faster hair growth. To my dismay, I started breaking out on my chin with CYSTIC ACNE. Oh, those were so painful and ugly. I could not figure out why because I don't usually get cystic acne. I started researching what biotin does to some people and I learned that everyone can tolerate biotin differently. When I take multivitamins, where biotin is included in a much lesser dosage (maybe 1500-300mg), I am OK. However, anything over 500mg, and my skin freaks out. If you are getting unusual cystic acne, you may be experience the same thing. Stop taking biotin, and once your acne clears up, try it again in a much smaller dosage - only if you really need to. There are topical ways to improve your hair's health and growth, such as using natural essential oil masks.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by SophiaaaXo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi Ladies!
So I recently cut my hair shoulder length(which I regret) and was desperately wanting it to grow fast. A couple of my cousins suggested BIOTIN. So I was like why not? I went to Walmart and bought the Spring Valley brand( it was a green bottle with little-easy to swallow white gel like pills) for like 6$(in AZ)... I believe it contained 60, good for 2 months if you take the suggested amount 2/day 5000mg. I just started taking it about 4 days ago so I really haven't such much results. Although I'm hoping I do with in a month. I haven't had any acne yet either... The pills are very easy to take so they're perfect. I do hope to see some results. I'll keep you ladies updated... Praying it works!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Sam3215

I'm an 18yr old girl and. I have been taking 2 pills a day, and I have noticed some acne I never had before. My nails and hair are growing so fast. I will lower my dose to one pill a day so I dont break out as much

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by saribali

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I started taking 5000mcg of Biotin a day just over a week ago and had a huge cystic acne outbreak within days. My skin has been fairly acne free and definitely cystic acne free for months thanks to cutting out dairy and using Zorac cream daily. Well, even the Zorac was no match for this outbreak. I also developed cysts on my cheeks which is somewhere I have never broken out.
I finally put two and two together after googling Biotin and acne and have stopped taking it. Hopefully my skin won't take long to clear up. Won't be taking this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by sleighb7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nails are stronger , not sure about hair growth being any faster but before taking biotin I was shedding like crazy. Clumps coming out everyday , after 2 months my shedding has been a quarter of what it was and that in itself makes it worth it's weight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by annafefifofanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought the Spring Valley version. It was under $3 at my local Wal-Mart and the pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have only been using it for a week so this review will be updated. I am doing my opinion of it so far because of all the complaints of cystic acne. The brand I have has 1000 mcg of biotin per tablet but other brands have even higher amounts. The bottle I have says you can take up to 5 daily, I suggest you DO NOT do so. At least starting out... I know a lot of you are really impatient and want to see results as fast as possibly so you pop in 5 pills a day hoping to speed up the results, but the last thing you want is too take too much for your body, that will cause excess biotin in your system causing acne and possibly other side effects. Since different brands have different ranges of mcg's per tablet you don't want to risk taking way too much! 1000 mcg is already a fairly high amount if you have acne I suggest you start out take one lower. Start yourself out by taking one pill a day for a month and see the results, then you can try out taking more depending on that. I am currently taking one pill a day WITH A MEAL. And drinking plenty of water. Taking it with a meal allows the biotin to be absorbed better into your system. I have had no signs at all of acne. In fact my face has become softer and, although it's usually dry, it has become a little more moisturized. I haven't seen any effects on my hair or nails yet and I probably won't until after a month of taking it.. I will update this later! :)