November 23, 2014 | 1930 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2013 2:35:00 AM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have 1000 mcg tablets which I began taking twice a day, spaced out to prevent losing all the vitamin in my urine. I did this for maybe 4 or 5 days and then forgot for a few days...suddenly I'm breaking out on my cheeks and back. I normally have no acne at all other than around my period, but it's definitely not that time of the month and I have at least 4 pimples. Sadly, unless I can figure out why exactly biotin causes breakouts and figure out a way around it, I won't try this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I buy Nature's Bounty brand at Wal-Mart for $7 for a bottle of 100 tables with 1000mg each. I started taking one tablet every day and broke out horrible. Scaled it back to one tablet every 3 days, worked up to every day and gradually worked up to 5 tablets or 5000mg every day. Take this with a regular multi-vitamin or it will break you out. I always had thin and bendy nails. They're now quite a bit harder and are still bendy but less prone to breakage. So make them grow longer make sure you get your heart rate up several times a day to get your blood flowing.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE! 7/20/2013
Well I got super lazy with taking these but did notice quicker hair growth. I've I ever get to being consistent with this, I know it'll work greatly.

Just started taking a couple of days ago. I purchased the Spring Valley brand from Walmart (I believe it's distributed only by Walmart) for $2.94..
My hair is very fine, kinky asian straight, and naturally black!
These pills I bought are really small like the size of an Aleve tablet and is a gel capsule which makes it easier to swallow too!! It comes with 150 pills 1,000mcg (or 1mg) each. I started off with a low dosage because I've read that many people get breakouts from taking higher dosages and want to avoid that route

Will update later!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Danyw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

All I have to say is that for me this was acne in a bottle! Holy cow, it caused the biggest acne breakout that I've ever had! It started to clear up the day after I stopped taking it. Take at your own risk if you are sensitive. I've researched and some say that if you take a B vitamin it will stop the acne, I'm not trying it but that may help some!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2013 7:27:00 AM More reviews by Mysticmme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Add me to the group of reviewers who developed acne from taking Biotin ...

I never get cystic acne, I rarely break out and I have dry-normal skin. My skin care routine is simple: Purity Cleanser, PTR Unwrinkle Cream, PTR Unrinkle Peel Pads 5-7x week, manual/chemical exfoliation 2x week, and SPF30 with Vitamin C every morning.

I've been on Biotin for 4 days and have 2 large cystic bumps. :/

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by valtan1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use the Eu Natural Biotin 5000 mcg (search for it on Amazon) and it has been working great. Much healthier and fuller hair, and my nails have also become stronger. I take it every day with lunch and a full glass of water. Right now, I'm growing about an inch to my hair length every month.

There are quite a few different brands out there so it may take going through a few to find the one that works for you. They aren't all created equally! Some aren't potent enough, others can make you break out, and a lot of them are made in China.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, acne prone.

I bought a bottle Nature's Bounty from Costco after seeing a blogger rave about it for stronger nails (mine were bendy and starting to peel without understanding why at the time). Took the bottle home, read the MUA reviews and saw the potential acne trigger but figured you never know til you try so only did low dosage of 1 pill per day....

Used it for about 3 weeks, and cystic city! Took a few weeks to clear up. So yes it's true, can trigger acne. No bueno for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2013 5:00:00 AM More reviews by morgann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using Biotin for about 4 months now, starting on 2,500 mcg and now I'm on 10,000 after gradually working my way up. My nails are super strong and my hair is growing faster than usual and in better condition (not so thin and less split ends). I did experience some acne at the start but not anymore, however I have been using Sweet Almond oil and that was what cleared my skin up. I have now advanced onto Paula's choice and that is sorting out blackheads :) If you want to see results you need to up the dosage and be prepared to wait about 2-3 months to see results as that is about how long it takes for most supplements to starting working in the body.

I buy my biotin online at iherb.com as it is way cheaper than trying to find it in New Zealand, you can use my discount code for $10 off a $40 purchase... DWQ834

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2013 7:20:00 AM More reviews by getsexy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

18th March 2013 i bought biotin after reading reviews on here. i have naturally curly hair that usual grows no longer than underarm level.
i trimmed my hair in july and its hardly grown back since..so i bought biotin!! (10,000mcg)

ANYWAY ive been taking it for about a month now and there is noticable growth, my hair is back to its usual length (under arm length) so im hoping it will continue to grow.
i do get acne from taking it, but i found that if i take if with meals, the acne is not as bad.

i havent noticed that my hair has become thicker but definately longer!

ill keep on posting and let you know if theres any progress...but so far all good news and worth buying..i would 100% recommend.

3rd april 13 havent noticed any other changes since i first reviewed this product hopefully there will be more results in 3 weeks.

So I am on my second bottle of biotin(100 capsules per bottle) MY HAIR HAS GROWN 3/4 inches which is a lot of growth for my hair type my hair is thicker and I feel like damage from previously dying my hair has been repaired. No more acne breakouts linked to the biotin and my nails grow super quick. 23rdjuly13

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2013 6:36:00 AM More reviews by bluesnotspeed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I originally started taking these because I heard great things about this vitamin stimulating hair growth so, I went out and bought a bottle of 1000 mg at Target. I've been taking these for about two weeks. The first week I only took one and everything seemed fine however, by the second week of still only taking one 1000 mg tablet, I noticed my skin erupting in tiny whiteheads and a large pimple on my forehead and four on my chin. I am acne prone but I usually only get one or two before or after my menstrual cycle. Since biotin had been the only change I had made I decided to do some research and I found out that this may indeed be the cause of this whitehead eruption I am experiencing. I know it is said to drink a lot of water when taking this vitamin, but I normally drink 2 liters of water daily and I still got breakouts. I strongly do not recommend anyone who is acne prone to take this vitamin. I'd rather have my hair grow at its normality, which will require me to be extra patient, than have to deal with acne. Who's with me? I'm definitely throwing these out in the trash.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No