August 22, 2014 | 1903 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:28:00 AM More reviews by fuztop

After trying a schwatzkopf colour 2 days ago that had already started fading, I stood in the department store for ages trying to work out which colour and product to buy. I finally decided on the l'oreal preference because I liked the colour (6 capri - natural light brown) and it says it's fade resistant. I have around 30-40 % grey hair, and this seems to have covered it pretty well. It was easy to apply (unlike the previous brand), and smelled good. The colour was slightly darker than on the box, but I'm pretty sure they all are for the first couple of days, which is fine by me. The conditioner in the box was also pretty goo, and my hair is nice and shiny :) I'll see how long it lasts, but at the moment, I'm liking this product more than I like sitting in the hairdressers for an hour and a half every 4 weeks. I was able to wrap christmas prezzies while it developed - much more time effective!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by lectriceye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not sure how I feel about this yet. I wanted a slightly darker blonde than I got from another golden blonde color. So I decided to try out the Golden Blonde #37. Well let me say that the color does NOT match the color on the box at all! I had light golden blonde hair and this turned it almost auburn. I hated it at first but now it is growing on me. It's not at all what I expected though so not sure if I will repurchase. The good thing about it? It didn't leave my hair feeling fried, and it didn't burn my scalp while dying.

Update:
After a few weeks my dark color faded and looks more golden blonde. I am happy with the results and I think I will use this dye again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by zuebee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I am a natural dark blonde (7) who had white hair as a child, only to watch it slowly change to yellow, then dish-water to finally a dark blonde that can highlight easily during the summer at the beach. I started using box highlights in my 30's and loved the bright look all year long! Then the gray hairs started showing up a few years ago; highlights weren't covering up the Bride of Frankenstein white temples at all. It was time to color my hair! I tried different brands of box color, looking for that perfect color and found it in Preference by L'Oreal. I use #9 Light Natural Blonde and it is perfect for me! It leaves my hair between a light to medium blonde with gold hints (no red at all). The process is easy to follow; I apply to my roots, starting with my gray temples and leave the product on for 25 minutes then apply the rest of the dye in streaks to the rest of my shoulder-length hair. That is on for about 5 minutes, just long enough for me to box up my trash and jump in the shower. I rinse it off in cool water, apply the conditioner and leave on for about 5 minutes. I air dry my hair after coloring to save it from any extra damage. My hair is soft and a lovely shade of blonde with multi-tones and gold tint. The chemical smell is still there in my hair and will remain until I wash it for the first time but that is a small price to pay for great color. I notice some fading on my gray but it mixes in with the blonde just fine. I color my hair about every 4 weeks just to get the roots done; the color doesn't fade too much but I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

My note on the chemical odor: The smell is strong when the dye is mixed but ammonia is what makes the cuticle open up to accept the hair color and when mixed with the peroxide developer, it will create a strong reaction. I know the developer is 20 volume, which is great for gray coverage, allowing it to deposit color on the gray while allowing a lift of about 2 levels on my natural hair color to get the blonde color I want. You can always go to Sally's to get a stronger developer if you need more lift to get the desired finished hair color (plus you will save money buying at Sally's too!). I know if I wanted to be a lighter blonde than 9, I would need a 30 or 40 developer to get the correct color lift.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 4:50:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've dyed my hair since I was about 20, and I've become a haircoloring expert :). After a lot of my former colors got discontinued, I now use this in the color 6.5 Venise. It is a beautiful reddish brown color, and it lasts and gives a really shiney result! The thing that bothers me is the smell, it is really strong and chemical, so only use this in a well ventilated room! Also it is a bit harsh, but as I have relatively thick healthy hair it does not dry my hair out that much, but I wouldn't recommend this to people with dry and brittle hair...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by pttraveller

My hair is a natural dirty blonde. I wanted to warm it up and make it a bit more golden so I chose L'oreal Preference Golden Blonde #37. I followed the instructions to a T and my hair is now a washed-out blondey-orange. Uggghhhhh. The only thing that can be said for this product is that it doesn't feel like it fried my hair - it just made it a horrible colour. Would not recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 8:47:00 PM More reviews by luckylisp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff remains the best at home dye available. The colors are reliable, available in a wide selection, and are pretty affordable. I'm currently using 5G Medium Golden Brown to match the five or so inches of new growth I have. My colorist covered up all my highlights with a similar shade several months back, but the color had faded and I was left with new growth on top and brassy blond ends. All I wanted was to cover the ends up, so I'd match. Done.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by wnzdazchld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Oh my, was this product not right for me! I've used dye before, but this one made my scalp feel like it was on fire! The smell of this product is SO overpowering! It made my eyes water and nose burn while using it & 24 hours later, the smell permeating my hair is giving me a headache. Another con is that it has left my hair feeling like straw! All that, plus I'm definitely not a fan of the color (Blonde 9). Definitely won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by bcbrosemer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used Excellence and Feria previously on my hair, but this was my first time using Preference. I was trying to correct a botched highlight job that I did using Touch On highlights. I typically color my hair a level 7, 7.5 darker blonde, but knew I needed to go darker than that to cover up the highlights and blend everything together. My natural color is a medium, cool tone brown. Excellence and Feria didn't have any colors close to what I wanted, everything was either too light or too dark. I picked this up in 6BB, light beige brown. I usually like to go with ash tones but was afraid of the highlights turning green.
My root area was lighter than the rest of my hair, so I applied the mixture to my roots and left it on until they started to darken up, for about 8 minutes. Then the rest of my hair and left it on until it was on my hair for about 25 minutes total. The gloves worked just fine.
I am really pleased with how this turned out. The color is very even, natural looking, and not flat. It is slightly darker than on the box, but not by much. The crown area blends very nicely into the rest of my hair. The brassiness I had from the highlights is all gone. My hair is very soft and shiny. I love the conditioner, it smells fabulous. I did have some hair come out during the coloring process, but I just finished my sixth round of chemotherapy a month ago, and while I didn't lose my hair completely (even though the doctor said I would) it did weaken it a little bit. So the amount of hair loss I did have from this seems minimal considering.
The only cons to this were; the smell, it was bad. It burned my eyes and nose, and I have never been bothered by home haircolor fumes before. Plus I was using it in a bathroom that has a huge window that was wide open. That, and this stuff was so runny. It got everywhere; all over me, my clothes, the floor, and counter. I don't know why this is so runny compared to other coloring kits, but it is.
Overall, very happy with the results. Plus, it was on sale for $9, plus I had a $2 coupon, so the price was definitely worth it! Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2010 1:11:00 AM More reviews by plastic_goddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in Light Brown, and surprisingly, I was left with a color very close to the end result printed on the box. The color held up well for about four weeks. The really fantastic thing about this product is the conditioner, which seems to be mostly a tube of silicone. My hair has felt silky and soft for weeks now, though it has been washed several times. I highly recommend the conditioner if you can locate it on ebay. The hair dye is the best drugstore dye I've used, and despite the overwhelming smell and the high price, I would purchase it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am torn. Do I give it five stars? Technically I would say it works well and does everything it says.... but I wouldn't buy it again for root touch up.
It's just too harsh on my hair. (I use a blonde color) When I used this to touch up my roots I tried to avoid the rest of my hair, I even put jelly in my hair to keep it from getting the stuff on it, but after one winter-thru-summer of using this my hair was badly damaged. My hair dresser was in shock, the ends started to break off. That was a year ago and I am still growing it out.

But, it did give me the color I wanted and it is completely permanent. Just a little too harsh.