December 19, 2014 | 1474 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by TexasGail

Was using a deposit-only color, but my grays have really gotten resistant and a week after coloring, the awful gray roots starting glistening! I've used Excellence in the past and it worked pretty well, but faded quickly. Decided to give Preference a try and got Dark Blonde 7 Natural (my natural "real" color is dark blonde-light brown and I'm tired of doing the medium blonde thing). I read somewhere, too, not to ever use ash colors to cover gray, won't look natural. Color is just exactly what I wanted...we'll see how long it lasts before fading. Smell is awful (I'm hoping that's what will make it fade-resistant lol). Didn't burn scalp, but made eyes water! Incidentally, Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo is wonderful for toning down any brass that always comes out when dying blonde or brown. Will update after a couple of weeks.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by FootCow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Superior Preference in Natural Light Ash Brown and ended up with Redish Brown Roots and dark brown ends. I kept it on for 30 minutes hoping it would stick better. Where the roots were seems to have faded and turned an orangey colour after a week but the ends remained dark (as almost all of the hair was at the beginning). I am not too happy and will be looking for another hair dye.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by roarwoman

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The hubby and I are trying to save some cash to pay down our credit card bill. Unfortunately this includes putting a hold on salon color every 4-5 weeks at $100 a pop. The stylist I go to uses Redken, she used the newer version on me that is supposed to cover grey and keep it covered for 4 weeks. The color was dark brown with red undertones. I'll admit that after the color was processed, hair was styled etc.. I thought the color was a bit flat and dull. Four weeks later, it did cover the grey for longer then usual but the color faded fast and looked duller and duller every time I washed. BTW, I'm about 30-40% grey, the sides of my hair are the worst.

Enter the new budget plan and my not being so thrilled with the color and MUA. After reading the reviews on this brand and having tried other brands on and off in the past I decided to give it a shot. I knew I wanted to stay very close to the current color, medium brown with red undertones, maybe take it a shade darker. I purchased Deep Soft Mahogany Brown, part of the Chocolate Decadence collection. The product was easy to mix up, I used a plastic bowl and brush to apply, I cannot abide with the cheap spout applicator they give you. The formula was pretty runny which made the job a little harder but not impossible. There is a good amount of product given and I, having short hair, barely used half of it. I settled in for 50 min then rinsed. The conditioner they provide is fantastic and smells nice. After drying and styling I was very impressed with the results, although I did think the color was a little flat. Very true to the color on the box and the bottom line is it looks great with my skin tone and eye color. It provided me with the shade darker that I wanted whilst still blending really well with the color that I was carrying from the salon job a month ago.

I would repurchase this brand again although it's only been a few days so I cannot state how well it keeps grey hair covered or for how long. The only down side, as people have mentioned, is the smell when first applying and I personally would have liked more shine. Would recommend and will try some of the other brown shades in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by prillita

After multiple attempts to fade out my dark roots into my medium blonde ends, I finally found a haircolor that works! I was using Herbal Essence extreme bleach blonde (I think that was the name--in a hot pink box with a man pictured on the front) but either I did not leave it on long enough or the lifting power wasn't strong enough because it definitely turned my hair brassy orange / yellow. I just tried this haircolor in whispersoft blonde (cool blonde) and am amazed at how much it lifted my dark (genuinely DARK) blonde roots to a soft (a bit yellowy, but still natural looking) medium-light blonde color. I did use my shimmer lights directly after coloring to immediately take out the brassiness, but even if I hadn't, I don't think it's nearly as brassy as some other bleaches and blonde haircolors I've tried. I am happy! I just wish I had left the color on the rest of my hair a bit longer becuase my roots are now a bit lighter than the rest of my hair, but it still looks alright. Two thumbs up for whispersoft blonde if you have medium-dark blonde / light brown hair!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 1:17:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Usually use Dream Blonde. Used to use Feria till it stopped colouring the grey. Dream Blonde always worked, but it's expensive so I thought I would try Preference as it is the "gold standard". Well, it isn't in my opinion. I went a shade darker on the blonde, that was it, with a touch of red in it to warm things up for winter. It came out dull. After a week, it turned brassier, and any dye on the greys came out so I am left with the greys back. Absolutely no grey coverage. Dream Blonde will take the grey and make it like highlights - bright blonde. But this just doesn't even take. And the smell was particularly bad on this one. Nope, not the gold standard in my book.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 10:58:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

So my hair is naturally black in color, but I decided to get some auburn highlights in my hair over the summer to kind of brighten me up. They looked great, but the price I paid was really expensive! Once fall hit, I felt like going back to my natural shade, but didn't want to pay a buttload of money like last time. Enter this stuff. I bought the shade Soft Black, which is basically a shade darker than my natural hair color. The formula was very easy to use, and the color looked great and faded into a more natural look within a few days! I prefer not to dye my hair, but if I ever feel the need to dye it, I will definitely pick up this stuff again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by RobsGirl4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow, I am surprised at the number of negative reviews. I recently hit my 30's and have been coloring my hair on and off for about the last 6 years (I usually stay pretty close to my natural color, medium brown), but have experimented with warmer browns that have added some red tones/highlights to my hair. I loooove Superior Preference and am very pleased with it considering the horror stories I've heard about Clairol brands (chemical burns, horrible damage) and have never had a problem with Superior Preference. The last time I colored my hair in early summer, I chose medium ash brown (I didn't want to enhance the natural red tones I already have) and loved the result. It was a glistening, shiny medium brown, never flat or dull, I loved it. I just colored my hair again today and chose medium brown (natural tone) and am very pleased. Yes, it smells pretty strong, but it's hair color, they all smell pretty strong. :) It's important to make sure you're in a roomy area with good ventilation. I had no problems. It's a gel formula, which I prefer over a cream (I don't have many greys yet thankfully) and I didn't have a problem with it dripping. It applies easily and after letting it process for 25 minutes, rinsing and using the magical lucious conditioner, TA DA! :) Awesome results without a lot of damage. Before coloring, I went and bought a new coloring system this week and will be using the Tresemme color restoring shampoo and condition (black & red bottles), *fingers crossed*! They smell fabulous (very salon like) and have pretty good reviews and I haven't found a coloring system I love yet, so hopefully I love this because I just colored today. Love this color system though, it leaves my hair feeling silky, shiny and the color doesn't fade, which I love! If going for a drastic change or doing highlights, I highly suggest visiting your salon or getting a friend to help. My sister uses this brand and loves it as well. 5 stars, do your research first, it pays!! :) If Eva Longoria loves it, it's good enough for me and I've been very happy with the results, shine and it not wrecking the condition of my hair! It can't get much better for coloring at home! Highly recommend this product unless you are going more than 2 shades darker or lighter or highlights. If I decide to do that, I'll be going to my salon! :) Enough said, this stuff rocks! There's a reason why they call this the gold standard and the after-color conditioner is the best & smells fantastic & leaves my hair feeling silky soft, love my new color and this brand is a keeper!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by DinaC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm one of those brunettes who started turning grey while they were still in their teens. I've been coloring my hair since I was 20, and I've used several different brands and products. I've been using this L'Oreal Superior Preference in 5A -- Medium Ash Brown for a few years now, and it works very well. I do find that the grey-er I get, the more resistant the hairs are becoming to the dye. I leave the color on 30-40 minutes, and that works very well for me. My hair is longer than shoulder length, and this doesn't damage my hair in spite of coloring it once per month. I also appreciate that this particular brand comes with a very generous amount of haircolor, so I have enough to color all my long hair without having to buy two kits. Coupons are available in the Sunday paper on a regular basis, so using them cuts the cost a bit too. It's a very good value compared to having long hair colored every month in a salon.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2011 7:31:00 PM More reviews by elektra805

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried CB613 today on my natural black hair(dyed medium brown). But my black roots were showing ,so I decided to try this out.It lightened my hair without any orange undertones! Its a really great product!!:) Would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 6:59:00 PM More reviews by DBusta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff! I was contemplating whether or not to dye my hair using a box color (I've heard it tends to dry your hair) but I decided to give this a shot. I loved how natural the shade was. I haven't noticed my hair drying out after using this. Works great, and the conditioner it comes with is good too ;)