September 22, 2014 | 1054 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by RobsGirl4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow, I am surprised at the number of negative reviews. I recently hit my 30's and have been coloring my hair on and off for about the last 6 years (I usually stay pretty close to my natural color, medium brown), but have experimented with warmer browns that have added some red tones/highlights to my hair. I loooove Superior Preference and am very pleased with it considering the horror stories I've heard about Clairol brands (chemical burns, horrible damage) and have never had a problem with Superior Preference. The last time I colored my hair in early summer, I chose medium ash brown (I didn't want to enhance the natural red tones I already have) and loved the result. It was a glistening, shiny medium brown, never flat or dull, I loved it. I just colored my hair again today and chose medium brown (natural tone) and am very pleased. Yes, it smells pretty strong, but it's hair color, they all smell pretty strong. :) It's important to make sure you're in a roomy area with good ventilation. I had no problems. It's a gel formula, which I prefer over a cream (I don't have many greys yet thankfully) and I didn't have a problem with it dripping. It applies easily and after letting it process for 25 minutes, rinsing and using the magical lucious conditioner, TA DA! :) Awesome results without a lot of damage. Before coloring, I went and bought a new coloring system this week and will be using the Tresemme color restoring shampoo and condition (black & red bottles), *fingers crossed*! They smell fabulous (very salon like) and have pretty good reviews and I haven't found a coloring system I love yet, so hopefully I love this because I just colored today. Love this color system though, it leaves my hair feeling silky, shiny and the color doesn't fade, which I love! If going for a drastic change or doing highlights, I highly suggest visiting your salon or getting a friend to help. My sister uses this brand and loves it as well. 5 stars, do your research first, it pays!! :) If Eva Longoria loves it, it's good enough for me and I've been very happy with the results, shine and it not wrecking the condition of my hair! It can't get much better for coloring at home! Highly recommend this product unless you are going more than 2 shades darker or lighter or highlights. If I decide to do that, I'll be going to my salon! :) Enough said, this stuff rocks! There's a reason why they call this the gold standard and the after-color conditioner is the best & smells fantastic & leaves my hair feeling silky soft, love my new color and this brand is a keeper!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by DinaC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm one of those brunettes who started turning grey while they were still in their teens. I've been coloring my hair since I was 20, and I've used several different brands and products. I've been using this L'Oreal Superior Preference in 5A -- Medium Ash Brown for a few years now, and it works very well. I do find that the grey-er I get, the more resistant the hairs are becoming to the dye. I leave the color on 30-40 minutes, and that works very well for me. My hair is longer than shoulder length, and this doesn't damage my hair in spite of coloring it once per month. I also appreciate that this particular brand comes with a very generous amount of haircolor, so I have enough to color all my long hair without having to buy two kits. Coupons are available in the Sunday paper on a regular basis, so using them cuts the cost a bit too. It's a very good value compared to having long hair colored every month in a salon.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2011 7:31:00 PM More reviews by elektra805

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried CB613 today on my natural black hair(dyed medium brown). But my black roots were showing ,so I decided to try this out.It lightened my hair without any orange undertones! Its a really great product!!:) Would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 6:59:00 PM More reviews by DBusta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff! I was contemplating whether or not to dye my hair using a box color (I've heard it tends to dry your hair) but I decided to give this a shot. I loved how natural the shade was. I haven't noticed my hair drying out after using this. Works great, and the conditioner it comes with is good too ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:28:00 AM More reviews by fuztop

After trying a schwatzkopf colour 2 days ago that had already started fading, I stood in the department store for ages trying to work out which colour and product to buy. I finally decided on the l'oreal preference because I liked the colour (6 capri - natural light brown) and it says it's fade resistant. I have around 30-40 % grey hair, and this seems to have covered it pretty well. It was easy to apply (unlike the previous brand), and smelled good. The colour was slightly darker than on the box, but I'm pretty sure they all are for the first couple of days, which is fine by me. The conditioner in the box was also pretty goo, and my hair is nice and shiny :) I'll see how long it lasts, but at the moment, I'm liking this product more than I like sitting in the hairdressers for an hour and a half every 4 weeks. I was able to wrap christmas prezzies while it developed - much more time effective!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by lectriceye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not sure how I feel about this yet. I wanted a slightly darker blonde than I got from another golden blonde color. So I decided to try out the Golden Blonde #37. Well let me say that the color does NOT match the color on the box at all! I had light golden blonde hair and this turned it almost auburn. I hated it at first but now it is growing on me. It's not at all what I expected though so not sure if I will repurchase. The good thing about it? It didn't leave my hair feeling fried, and it didn't burn my scalp while dying.

Update:
After a few weeks my dark color faded and looks more golden blonde. I am happy with the results and I think I will use this dye again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by zuebee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I am a natural dark blonde (7) who had white hair as a child, only to watch it slowly change to yellow, then dish-water to finally a dark blonde that can highlight easily during the summer at the beach. I started using box highlights in my 30's and loved the bright look all year long! Then the gray hairs started showing up a few years ago; highlights weren't covering up the Bride of Frankenstein white temples at all. It was time to color my hair! I tried different brands of box color, looking for that perfect color and found it in Preference by L'Oreal. I use #9 Light Natural Blonde and it is perfect for me! It leaves my hair between a light to medium blonde with gold hints (no red at all). The process is easy to follow; I apply to my roots, starting with my gray temples and leave the product on for 25 minutes then apply the rest of the dye in streaks to the rest of my shoulder-length hair. That is on for about 5 minutes, just long enough for me to box up my trash and jump in the shower. I rinse it off in cool water, apply the conditioner and leave on for about 5 minutes. I air dry my hair after coloring to save it from any extra damage. My hair is soft and a lovely shade of blonde with multi-tones and gold tint. The chemical smell is still there in my hair and will remain until I wash it for the first time but that is a small price to pay for great color. I notice some fading on my gray but it mixes in with the blonde just fine. I color my hair about every 4 weeks just to get the roots done; the color doesn't fade too much but I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

My note on the chemical odor: The smell is strong when the dye is mixed but ammonia is what makes the cuticle open up to accept the hair color and when mixed with the peroxide developer, it will create a strong reaction. I know the developer is 20 volume, which is great for gray coverage, allowing it to deposit color on the gray while allowing a lift of about 2 levels on my natural hair color to get the blonde color I want. You can always go to Sally's to get a stronger developer if you need more lift to get the desired finished hair color (plus you will save money buying at Sally's too!). I know if I wanted to be a lighter blonde than 9, I would need a 30 or 40 developer to get the correct color lift.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 4:50:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've dyed my hair since I was about 20, and I've become a haircoloring expert :). After a lot of my former colors got discontinued, I now use this in the color 6.5 Venise. It is a beautiful reddish brown color, and it lasts and gives a really shiney result! The thing that bothers me is the smell, it is really strong and chemical, so only use this in a well ventilated room! Also it is a bit harsh, but as I have relatively thick healthy hair it does not dry my hair out that much, but I wouldn't recommend this to people with dry and brittle hair...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by pttraveller

My hair is a natural dirty blonde. I wanted to warm it up and make it a bit more golden so I chose L'oreal Preference Golden Blonde #37. I followed the instructions to a T and my hair is now a washed-out blondey-orange. Uggghhhhh. The only thing that can be said for this product is that it doesn't feel like it fried my hair - it just made it a horrible colour. Would not recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2010 8:47:00 PM More reviews by luckylisp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff remains the best at home dye available. The colors are reliable, available in a wide selection, and are pretty affordable. I'm currently using 5G Medium Golden Brown to match the five or so inches of new growth I have. My colorist covered up all my highlights with a similar shade several months back, but the color had faded and I was left with new growth on top and brassy blond ends. All I wanted was to cover the ends up, so I'd match. Done.