October 22, 2014 | 1884 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2009 6:14:00 PM More reviews by glanda

Although it dries my face a little bit, it's steal acceptable... smells rare... Honestly, I didn't expect it works so tough, I though it's very gentle... But obviously, I was wrong... I can't say it's gentle on my face, but it works for my acne. HP balance, and at least not as tough as Proactive, I would like to recomend it to who have medium acne problem as me. $12.99 for a 500ml bottle, the price is really good too.

Edit: after using it for two weeks, I like it so much~ oh, it's my HG cleanser now~

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Sattie2008

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is truly a great cleaner, as long as you use it as directed. It does need to sit on your skin for at least 30 secs to be effective. It is perfect for sensitive blemish prone skin. Since using it (as per directions), my skin is smoother, clearer and softer without stripping it dry. What I like doing is putting it on my face when it is dry and letting it sit while I remove my eye makeup then wiping off the Spectro Jel to remove some of the makeup and sunscreen before washing my face with another squirt of Jel and letting that application sit for at least 30 seconds.

If you use heavy makeup then this is not a cleanser to remove all the residue, use another cleanser or makeup remover before using Spectro Jel.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2009 1:16:00 AM More reviews by cail08

I just started using this again cause my skin was breaking out like mad.. and i forgot how good it was, i was trying to remember what I used last year at school and why I changed my cleanser.. my skin is combination but sensitive and I love this stuff, it has definitely helped my skin clear up and i'm sure it will continue to do so!... i recommend it to all of y'all!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2009 10:57:00 PM More reviews by abbykariya

I ALWAYS seem to be going back to this cleanser...i've been using it on and off and on and off and on and off for about... 10 years. I can't say enough about it.

It is a weird jelly texture...and it smells kinda medicinal but it works like a charm. It doesn't make your skin feel like it's overly 'clean' like tingly or anything, but it is SO gentle it works really great for when you are suffering from dry skin in the winter, or are using a new acne med (like me- my derm gave me neostrata glycolic acid toner (8%) mixed with clynaminacin)

I like to alternate between this cleanser and some other face washes (oil of olay daily facials, or neutrogena 'wave') every other day or so. This face wash does a decent job of removing make up, so I would use this on a 'light makeup' day or stick to using this for the morning.

This a great alternative to cetaphil cause I feel it cleans better, and i love the gel texture vs. 'cream/lotion' feeling of cetaphil! I really do love this cleanser...i always have this on stock even if I am alternating between/ using another one for everyday.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 9:35:00 PM More reviews by 7954

no matter what I try I always come back to this
HOLY GRAIIIIIL CLEANSERRR!
its just super gentle, doesn't irritate my skin, keeps it balanced and happy!
if cetaphil dried your skin out (like it did for me), try spectrogel :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 1:35:00 PM More reviews by jasmin3w4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I decided to buy this thinking it was the same as the regular kind but gentler. It did clean my skin but didn't help with any break outs or flakiness I had on my skin all that much. It really smells like alcohol compared to the regular brand. It's not a bad product but I am sticking to the regular stuff as it seems to help out my skin more so than this version.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

I've used this cleanser (purple bottle) on and off for years and have recently put it back into my skin care rotation. My skin is oily and acne prone so I generally use an acne cleanser in the morning. Over this past winter, I've been battling some dry flaky patches so I decided to go back to basics with my skin care routine and began using this cleanser again. Within a week, the flaky mess was almost gone and my skin just feels softer and calmer. If you read the ingredient list on this cleanser, you'll find it doesn't contain SLS, parabens, fragrance or lanolins. It's no frills, but also non-irrating. At night, I team this with Clinique TTDO balm to remove make-up as this cleanser by itself is not enough to remove ss or long-wearing foundation. A 500mL pump bottle of this can often be bought on sale for $10. A great bargin for great looking skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2009 10:29:00 AM More reviews by dpenn

This review is for the Spectro Jel in the purple bottle.

I tend to go back and forth between this and Cetaphil. I find it cleanses a bit more thoroughly than Cetaphil, but I honestly really hate the smell. I know it doesn't contain any SD alcohol, but it smells just like it. Of course, the smell doesn't linger once it's rinsed off, so it's not a huge deal.

The consistency is similar to Cetaphil, but more gel-like (no kidding). I haven't tried Spectro Derm yet, but have read it's more moisturizing. I may try it for the drier winter months.

I paid $9 CDN for this on sale, so the price is right (500ml). Highly recommended if you want a no-frills cleanser that's extremely gentle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2009 6:48:00 PM More reviews by WanderingStars

This is definitely my HG of cleansers! Afters years and years of horrible skin and breakouts, I finally got my hands on this stuff a couple of years ago, and my skin has never been the same since (in a good way!). I use this morning and night, followed by a gentle toner (I prefer Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner) and a BHA liquid. My skin has never been better. Not to say that I never get zits anymore, but it's really just the odd one here and there, as opposed to before when I counted it as a good day when I had less than ten zits on my face at one time!

P.S.- to the other reviewers complaining that this doesn't remove make-up-- no, it doesn't, and it's not supposed to! All I do at night is use some gentle baby-wipes to remove my make-up (may sound weird but they're very gentle, do the trick, and are cheap!) plus some eye make-up remover for mascara and such, then proceed to use the Spectro Jel to wash my face. Works like a charm!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by pishtosh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I initially tried this years ago, because it was supposed to be really gentle and was recommended often for acne-prone skin, and that's what I had. But it made my skin feel really filmy and yucky, and removed NO makeup whatsoever, so I quit using it.

This past week, something made my skin really angry; just redder than usual, kind of sore, unhappy. I felt sorry for it. I stopped in at SDM on the way home to peruse the skin care aisle, but every cleanser I found with the word "gentle" in the name seemed anything but. Lots of them had really strong scents, or alcohol in them. Begrudgingly, I bought Spectro again. And my skin loves it.

I'm guessing it's because I was a lot younger when I first tried this; 17 or so, and now I'm almost 23. My skin isn't as rebellious as it was then. It needs more TLC. I use this AFTER removing makeup (it still does nothing for makeup removal) and I use a toner afterwards, and it makes my skin feel really good and comfortable. Good stuff.