September 15, 2014 | 865 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Victoiresecret

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

my tube has NO CASTOR OIL in it. ???

i'm pretty sure there are two diff versions of this, an american version and a canadian version. I'm in canada and the tube of balm shelter tinted moisturizer i bought from london drugs has:

- no castor oil
- no parabens
- 2.15 fl oz instead of 2.25 fl oz
- the words spf18 blacked out with a sharpie?

so yeah...

anyways, good product for price. I paid $24+12%HST (ugh hst... we have such high taxes) for this on sale at 25% off. $26 for about 2 fl oz is pretty good. It has pretty good coverage for tinted moisturizer and reminds me of the coverage and consistancy of Skin79 bb cream. Color selection is bad...theres a huge gap between the light and the light/medium (the reason for 1 lippie off) and I'm an NC20-25 and I use the lightest shade. Its the summer so I have a bit of a tan and the lightest shade is a bit too light for me (would probably suit NC15-20) and the light/medium is a bit too dark (prob suit NC30), but both blend in very nicely so its not very noticable.

Texture is lovely. Its creamy and thick, but not too thick and spreads out very nicely! I was surprised that a little goes a long way because usually thicker creams don't spread nicely on my skin. The finish is matte to natural on me, and almost has a slight powder finish. It looks very nice on my combo/oily skin and doesn't dry me out or make me into a greaseball. The finish is quite nice. Oil control is decent too... haven't worn it for too long but for the 4 hours I have worn it, I can say that I did not start greasing up. It lasts the full 4 hours too, not set with powder, but I will update once I wear it for longer

packaging is okay. nice sanitary squeeze tube, but I find the squeeze tube hard to store in my smaller train case styled makeup case. it doesn't fit lol. also, the cap is quite hard to open.

Overall, I would buy again, IF it was $24. I would not spend $32 because honestly, for I would rather pay $27 for the Skin79 bb cream. This is about par with that, but the skin79 bb cream has better ingredients so i prefer that slightly over this. Since skin79 is not very accessible, and this is slightly cheaper and not a whole lot different in application, shade and final result, I will repurchase this as my go to TM. Would definatly recommend getting this Canadian version (without the castor oil and parabens) if you can

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2011 8:00:00 AM More reviews by aureliationg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My friend recommended this to me and I thought, "why not?". Well, baaaad idea!
This has castor oil in it which I should have checked up on before slapping it all over my face.
I'd been having clear skin for a couple months now but the day I put this on I ended up with 2 pimples by night time. HORRIBLE!!
To girls who have oily/combinationzit-prone skin: STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!
But to girls who have normal skin amd want a good medium coverage for everyday like my fiend, I say go for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 1:18:00 AM More reviews by lovespugs

This is more like a foundation than a tinted moisturiser. The coverage is medium and buildable. It definitely moisturises and it definitely works as a sunscreen. This is my HG foundation now. I cannot see myself using another foundation after finding this gem of a product. Hard to get in Australia, but easy enough to find on the Internet and probably cheaper than Australian retail anyway. Love this!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by vcstr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have pretty good skin, and honestly I don't treat it very well. I moisturize with aloe after I shower but that's about it.

Since high school I've been using a cream foundation with a powder to set in the winter months and a powdered mineral make-up in the spring and fall. In the summer I wear so much sunscreen that I tend to forgo foundation altogether. This year though I'm working in a more professional environment and wanted to look more polished in the day. I was hoping to try Benefit's You Rebel but it's not sold near me and I didn't like not having SPF on my face while walking to and from work as well as being outside on breaks (my skin burns very easily).

I saw BalmShelter in Rexall and decided to give it a try. I adore it! It evens my skin perfectly so all I need is a touch of concealer under my eyes and I'm fine for work. It makes my skin nice and soft and the Light/Medium shade gives my (very) slightly tanned skin a bit of a glow.

It makes for great lightweight makeup for the summer, and while it obviously won't replace your foundation it's a great alternative if you just want something simple.

Would definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by harls321

I got a sample at Sephora and liked it so much that when I was done I purchased the full size tube. I am NC30 and use shade Light/Medium and it works perfectly with my skintone. I have oily/acne prone skin and it wears well. I do use a primer underneath and set it with a finishing powder. If feels lightweight and helps to even out my skintone. Looks like real skin, doesn't leave me greasy or oily. It is a shame that it doesn't come in more shades so others can enjoy it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2011 6:23:00 AM More reviews by yokki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First of all the color range sucks. Even the lightest shade is dark for my NC20- 15 skin.

The moisturizing ability of the product also sucks. I can't use it without putting a moisturizer underneath. What's the point of a tinted moisturizer if I have to put additional moisturizer ?

I have dry skin and this does not give a glowing finish. Matte finish it gives. I am very dissappointed with this product. The only good thing about it is the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 3:43:00 AM More reviews by jwannano

I've been using this product for almost 6 months now and still on my first bottle.
What can I say, I just love this product and can't leave the house without apply some on? I have acne prone, combination, and very sensitive skin, but this TM doesn't harm my skin in any way. It covers acne scars and redness pretty well compare for other TM. I use this as a foundation and GIRLS!! This is a must have product!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2011 7:40:00 PM More reviews by BexV

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this- I normally wear foundation but I decided to try something a but more natural as I have no real need for foundation as my skin is pretty clear. I got the Light shade which is a perfect match (I'm a NC15 in mac) i always moisturise before hand, just because you get a better result, it goes on really well, perfect coverage for a tinted moisturiser- it passes the freckles test! (meaning that they are still visible) I have not found a fault with this- it lasts all day at school and makes my skin look so pretty and natural!
I would highly reccomend this and I would buy it again!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is some pretty good stuff. The coverage is *just right* for a TM. You cannot expect it to cover big imperfections, it's just not gonna happen. But this gives the most amazing glow i've found out of any TM i've used. It doesn't fade too badly throughout the day either, nor does it transfer. It just gives such a beautiful finish. What really peaked my fancy was that I accidentally bought the "light" shade the first time and of course it looked ridiculous on my medium skin, but when i applied a medium colored loose powder over it the color blended in SEAMLESSLY. I was actually amazed.
Now for the cons...this isn't very moisturizing, which isn't a big deal for me since I have oily skin but for dry skin girls you'll want to use a moisturizer before applying this. Also, maybe it's just me but I think this has a slight gray cast to it which goes away when you apply powder, but i'd really like to use this alone with no other product. Because of the SPF in this, you will look paler in flash photography. Lastly, I wish this was a few bucks cheaper.
Overall, this TM is extemely underrated. I will for sure repurchase :)
I should add that the colors run very dark. Light was too light for me, but light/medium was very dark. So i mix the two colors together and apply lightly, or like I said earlier, just use Light but use a medium powder over it.
By the way, I gave this 4 lippies but I really think this is worthy of a 4.5

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by mpeter

I have tried a few tinted moisturizers (smashbox, clinique, laura mercier) and I always return them. I do not wear foundation and I have no desire to put make up all over my face. I was looking for something to go over my primer (smashbox light) that would make my face look "naturally" flawless.

This TM does just that! Totally evens out my skin, looks so natural and feels soft as ever. Gives a dewy but not oily look. I am a huge fan.