October 21, 2014 | 1204 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2011 11:57:00 PM More reviews by augustclems

This is the best tinted moisturizer I have used so far. It does not go on streaky like the LM ones and is very easy to apply with my fingers, which makes the application process quick, easy, and basically fool-proof. The only negative I have is the amount of coverage, which is very sheer. It is good for someone who's looking for very little coverage and something that is very lightweight. I, conversely, need something to cover my horrid hyperpigmentation! I will definitely come back for this one after a few microdermabrasions to get rid of my red spots. It did not make me break out, cause me to be oily, or dry/flake up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 6:45:00 PM More reviews by sara942

I'm extremely picky about makeup-- I refuse to wear anything that doesn't seamlessly disappear into my skin and look completely natural. With that said, I would give this TM a thousand stars if I could. I discovered these at my local TJ Maxx for $12.99, but even the full price ($25) is a steal for the 2+ oz size! It has a thick, creamy consistency with a silky smooth, dewy finish. Not runny, drying or greasy. Very blendable, streak-free, natural-looking medium coverage, even when applied by hand. It never flakes in dry areas or settles into fine lines, even on my dry skin. In fact, it's the only TM that I can wear without moisturizer underneath (except in the winter), but it still feels pretty lightweight. It stays looking fresh all day and won't rub off, but it's easy to remove at night. If I set it with the theBalm's Sexy Mama powder in the morning, it stays shine free until evening; otherwise it gets shiny by the afternoon. It has a sturdy, hygienic squeeze tube that doesn't leak. It's formulated with no parabens, mineral oil, pthalates, artificial fragrances or shimmer, so it never irritates my skin. The shades tend to run a bit dark...the light shade is just light enough for my light olive skin (though I did use the light/medium shade in the summer when I was tanner). The shades also have a very neutral undertone to them. The one bummer is that the SPF is a little low, and chemical-based, but I just use a lightweight SPF moisturizer underneath (love Josie Maran's). Great product all in all though-- better than any other TM I've tried. I've been wearing it for months and I keep getting compliments on my skin! It won't make you feel greasy in the summer heat (even during a 5k event!) or cause breakouts, either. I hope they never discontinue this because it's my HG!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by marywebgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a nice big sample of this from Sephora to try. The first week was great. I was using it without setting it with powder like I do with my usual TM to see how it did as far as greasiness, and it really wasn't too bad at the end of the day. The coverage wasn't fabulous, but I don't need super coverage with TM. So the second week I put a little of my yellow Clinique mineral powder on my t-zone and...I broke out. I've been using this powder for probably a couple years at this point and it's never made me break out before, but the combo of it and this TM did it. So I moved on to another TM sample. Due to the lack of greasiness this might be good to try if you have oily skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2011 2:19:00 AM More reviews by maradeguzman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Meh, this made me really oily strangely. Ugh this makes me feels like my face is sliding off! It also gives my face a very orange-y tint to it which I do not like because I do not like looking like an oompa-loompa. I think it also made me break out a bit. I really wanted this to work for me especially with all the nice reviews about, but sadly it didn't.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this. I am a tinted moisturizer junkie, i always have different ones in the search of the perfect combo of light coverage, sunscreen and color. this is THE BALM ha ha. seriously this stuff is by far my favorite, you get a lot in the tube, and two little pea sized drops is enough for your whole face. not greasy, dries to a matte finish but you dont look like cake-face. i am medium toned, and have this in medium. it is a great match. loved this so much i picked up a back up which i never do! no scent, no glitter, i'd say the coverage is light but not invisible, evens your tone out. great stuff.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Victoiresecret

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

my tube has NO CASTOR OIL in it. ???

i'm pretty sure there are two diff versions of this, an american version and a canadian version. I'm in canada and the tube of balm shelter tinted moisturizer i bought from london drugs has:

- no castor oil
- no parabens
- 2.15 fl oz instead of 2.25 fl oz
- the words spf18 blacked out with a sharpie?

so yeah...

anyways, good product for price. I paid $24+12%HST (ugh hst... we have such high taxes) for this on sale at 25% off. $26 for about 2 fl oz is pretty good. It has pretty good coverage for tinted moisturizer and reminds me of the coverage and consistancy of Skin79 bb cream. Color selection is bad...theres a huge gap between the light and the light/medium (the reason for 1 lippie off) and I'm an NC20-25 and I use the lightest shade. Its the summer so I have a bit of a tan and the lightest shade is a bit too light for me (would probably suit NC15-20) and the light/medium is a bit too dark (prob suit NC30), but both blend in very nicely so its not very noticable.

Texture is lovely. Its creamy and thick, but not too thick and spreads out very nicely! I was surprised that a little goes a long way because usually thicker creams don't spread nicely on my skin. The finish is matte to natural on me, and almost has a slight powder finish. It looks very nice on my combo/oily skin and doesn't dry me out or make me into a greaseball. The finish is quite nice. Oil control is decent too... haven't worn it for too long but for the 4 hours I have worn it, I can say that I did not start greasing up. It lasts the full 4 hours too, not set with powder, but I will update once I wear it for longer

packaging is okay. nice sanitary squeeze tube, but I find the squeeze tube hard to store in my smaller train case styled makeup case. it doesn't fit lol. also, the cap is quite hard to open.

Overall, I would buy again, IF it was $24. I would not spend $32 because honestly, for I would rather pay $27 for the Skin79 bb cream. This is about par with that, but the skin79 bb cream has better ingredients so i prefer that slightly over this. Since skin79 is not very accessible, and this is slightly cheaper and not a whole lot different in application, shade and final result, I will repurchase this as my go to TM. Would definatly recommend getting this Canadian version (without the castor oil and parabens) if you can

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2011 8:00:00 AM More reviews by aureliationg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My friend recommended this to me and I thought, "why not?". Well, baaaad idea!
This has castor oil in it which I should have checked up on before slapping it all over my face.
I'd been having clear skin for a couple months now but the day I put this on I ended up with 2 pimples by night time. HORRIBLE!!
To girls who have oily/combinationzit-prone skin: STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!
But to girls who have normal skin amd want a good medium coverage for everyday like my fiend, I say go for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 1:18:00 AM More reviews by lovespugs

This is more like a foundation than a tinted moisturiser. The coverage is medium and buildable. It definitely moisturises and it definitely works as a sunscreen. This is my HG foundation now. I cannot see myself using another foundation after finding this gem of a product. Hard to get in Australia, but easy enough to find on the Internet and probably cheaper than Australian retail anyway. Love this!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 5:31:00 PM More reviews by vcstr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have pretty good skin, and honestly I don't treat it very well. I moisturize with aloe after I shower but that's about it.

Since high school I've been using a cream foundation with a powder to set in the winter months and a powdered mineral make-up in the spring and fall. In the summer I wear so much sunscreen that I tend to forgo foundation altogether. This year though I'm working in a more professional environment and wanted to look more polished in the day. I was hoping to try Benefit's You Rebel but it's not sold near me and I didn't like not having SPF on my face while walking to and from work as well as being outside on breaks (my skin burns very easily).

I saw BalmShelter in Rexall and decided to give it a try. I adore it! It evens my skin perfectly so all I need is a touch of concealer under my eyes and I'm fine for work. It makes my skin nice and soft and the Light/Medium shade gives my (very) slightly tanned skin a bit of a glow.

It makes for great lightweight makeup for the summer, and while it obviously won't replace your foundation it's a great alternative if you just want something simple.

Would definitely buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by harls321

I got a sample at Sephora and liked it so much that when I was done I purchased the full size tube. I am NC30 and use shade Light/Medium and it works perfectly with my skintone. I have oily/acne prone skin and it wears well. I do use a primer underneath and set it with a finishing powder. If feels lightweight and helps to even out my skintone. Looks like real skin, doesn't leave me greasy or oily. It is a shame that it doesn't come in more shades so others can enjoy it.