Boots Mattifying Make-up Base

on 7/27/2007 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a tricky product, but I thought I'd try since it's so cheap.
I agree with the previous reviewers, who say it is difficult to spread. But after a little experimenting, I realized that application is key, and if applied properly, it works better for me than any other primers I've ever tried (and I tried lots-Smashbox Anti-Shine and Photofinish, Clarins, Clinique, BE Prime Time, and the list goes on).
You only need to apply very little, much less than any other primer. Then, do not rub, sort of pat it on; if rubbed, it will ball up, because of its non-slippery texture. Then, let it sit for a couple of minutes, so it dries completely and sets. Then, apply your regular foundation.
Used this way, this is the only product that has ever succeeded in keeping me matte for a very long time.
It dries up to a powdery finish, and although it has silicones, it doesn't have that greasy siliconey feel to it, more like a rubbery one. There is a slight chemical smell in the beginning, but it disappears very fast.
It hasn't broken me out (yet).
It's a great product for me, but I can see how it would not work for someone with dry flakey skin, or if it gets applied in thick layers, or rubbed in.

on 5/28/2007 9:42:00 AM

Although this isn't a fantastic product I have to say that when applied correctly, (warning: do not slather this on! It will definitely make your makeup (and anything else you apply over it) ball up and become glue-like in consistency) it does a fine job of mattifying. Of course, it doesn't compare to MAC Prep+Prime, but it's decently priced, and good in a pinch.

on 5/17/2007 8:51:00 PM

As other users have noted, this product is an OK mattifier on its own but as a makeup base it's ridiculously bad. Any liquid foundation I put on top of this slipped right off and kind of rubbed into flakes- totally nasty!!! I gave this to my sister and obviously will never buy again! Slightly disappointed though cause in general I really like No.7 products from Boots........

on 5/4/2007 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I would agree 100% with the other reveiw. It works well in keeping away the shine however the texture has no slip. It is like a dry paste instead of a silky gel so it is heard to spread all over the face. Also I used this under my BE foundation and the mu around my nose disappeared & seperated. I would not buy again.

on 5/2/2007 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I found this primer worked well on its own, meaning that it eliminated shine. I did find it a bit sticky, and it has a glue-like texture (as opposed to a silky, smooth texture). It did not work well when I put foundation over it, because the foundation would not smooth evenly, and in some spots wouldn't even adhere to my face! I tried a tinted moisturizer, and again, it didn't work. I also think it made my skin break out, especially around my hairline, which hardly ever happens to me. The packaging is sleek and cute, and I really wanted to like this! I picked this up at Target for about $9.