December 18, 2014 | 875 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2008 2:38:00 AM More reviews by baibeeh_doll

I love love this sunscreen! Goes on as a powder, and I can even use it as blotting powder! The only thing i don't like about it is the amount of product wasted when applied to face. Apart from this, it's the best sunscreen I've ever tried!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2007 8:54:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted the colorscience version but it's not available in the UK - though I could get it online. Anyway, this was an impulse buy whilst queueing in a Sephora in NY. Six months later I'm using this in Thailand and I really like it. I use it over Mycelle's sunscreen and despite the humidity here have had a nice matte face and no skin reactions or tanning- though I am fanatical about wearing a hat outside. I find this to be a great , portable , easy to use. Yes, you do waste a little bit when you apply,and the packaging is less than perfect- I accidentitally spilled a whole lot of powder by unscrewing the base when I was trying to put the brush back into the cap. Then I realised that the tube Slides Up over the bristles it isn't a twist & retract design.On the whole I think this a great on the go product and will definately buy this again for use over my regular spf's to add extra protection and to mattify plus you are getting skin enhancing ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2007 3:01:00 AM More reviews by Jennyjennyjenjen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this because I'm using a home microdermabrasion system and I'm supposed to wear sunblock every day - and most sunblocks make me break out. The switch to a powder instead of a cream or lotion has been great for me! A light application is fine, and it doesn't even look like I'm wearing anything (not even that powdery look). I actually find the shake and dust application easy to use, though I do feel like I'm wasting product as I watch it poof away into the air a bit when I'm dusting my face. It's easy to take with me, a big plus since it's supposed to be re-applied every few hours. I prefer not having anything on my face overall, but if I have to wear sun protection this is it. Too bad the brush isn't such good quality and it's expensive, but I'll definitely buy again (especially in the SoCal sun).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2007 10:05:00 PM More reviews by sakecat22

This is one of the few mineral makeups that DON"T break me out. I use it as a finishing powder rather than by itself. Once you get the product started in the brush (took a couple of wearings to make it distribute evenly), it covers evenly. I do wish this was sold as a separate package so I can use my own washable brushes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2007 11:27:00 PM More reviews by treyscrap

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

too messy, too dark (for me), too chalky. Nice idea for a SPF powder but not executed well, IMHO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2007 10:49:00 PM More reviews by vanbergc

I don't have a problem at all with the container or brush. I don't feel like I waste product either. Had the ColorScience product before PTR, and I like PTR a bit better. I'm outside for a good part of the day, and I get SO much sun... I use LRP Mexoryl SPF 60 against my skin, and then this on top. I'm not taking any chances. This mattes down the shine the LRP leaves, and together I haven't had any sun problems on my face. I do believe this is an expensive product, but the CS price was just ridiculous. I'd buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by jcho

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm really liking this product. I just took it to Hawaii and it was convenient in so many ways. Everyone has been complaining about the packaging but it really is not that big of a deal once you get used to it. It is very easy to apply on both face and scalp and I never got sunburned during my trip. It has a mattifying effect which I love since it helps with the oilies and works wonders in the humidity. I definitely feel like my skin looks better when i put it on. I gives me an even tone without looking like I have makeup on. Lately I haven't had the need to wear my Tarte Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer w/SPF while applying this which makes me a happy camper. I just apply moisturizer, concealer and then top it off with the PTS Instant Mineral and voila......fantastic, natural looking skin. I have a feeling this will definitely be a staple for me. The only downside, it is expensive for what you get and at first use the bristles from the brush do come off on your face. Overall, I can live with that unless something better comes along and is less expensive.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/16/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by baronchow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The idea of this ss is great - but the product doesn't work for me. Although it is an effective ss, it broke me out (small bumps and pustules). I am sensitive to most ss, and this one was no different. Also, the matte powdery look was not the best for my mature skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2007 7:10:00 PM More reviews by raeackerman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Generally speaking, I really like this product. I HATE the packaging and the price. I used it in the original brush initially, and then purchased one of those refillable powder brushes on ebay, and it works MUCH better. Not only to the bristles on the PTR brush suck, but way too much comes out and there are poofs of powder everywhere. This really made me feel like I was wasting the product. When I went to dump what was left into my new brush, there was hardly anything left and I had been using it for only about 2 weeks. I contacted PTR about whether or not a "refill" would be made available and they said no. This bites because I really like this product. I, too use Retin-A and like having the convenience of being able to apply this throughout the day. It has an awesome mattifying effect without looking too chalky, probably because it is so finely milled. It actually makes my skin look better when I put it on. For fear of jinxing myself, I won't go too much into the fact that I believe this product actually improves my skin with continued use, maybe from the Vitamins and Willow Bark Ext. Who knows? I hate the fact that there is so little powder in the container and that I have to buy the brush every time, but I like it enough that I will continue to do so until something better comes along. EDIT: I feel a need to add on to this review as I just got my new Instant Mineral which I dumped into my refillable brush. The amount of mineral in this container that you get for $30 is ridiculous. IIt didn't even fill my brush up halfway! PTR should be ashamed. It sucks that I love this product so much because I feel totally RIPPED OFF! Maybe I'll try the Colorescience refill once I'm done with this.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2007 11:17:00 AM More reviews by chemnerd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have oily, acne-prone skin, but I need to reapply my sunscreen every few hours because I use Retin-A. This product solved my problem! UVA/UVB protection in a powder that also mattifies, provides antioxidant protection, and adds willow bark (a natural source of oily-skin friendly salycilic acid. I'm sold!

UPDATE: The smart girls over on the skincare board tell me that mineral powder isn't effective as a sunscreen because it's impossible to apply a thick enough layer for adequate protection. And they know best (or better than little old me, anyway).

So I'm removing 2 stars in light of the fact that Instant Mineral doesn't protect from UV rays. But the product still absorbs oil beautifully and prevents acne with natural ingredients.

I won't repurchase because I'm using the money I used to spend on this to buy better sunscreen. But If you can afford quality sunscreen AND powder, I highly recommend Instant Mineral (as the latter, not the former).

*Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA +++