November 23, 2014 | 1892 users online

Treatments (Face) - Boots - no7 Protect and Perfect beauty serum

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Concord

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I haven't used this for a longer period of time - it has too much of that silicone feel to it - so I can't vouch for any long time results. And looking at the ingredients I can't imagine just how this could be effective. The vitamin A is retinyl palmitate (a very weak form of retinol), the vitamin C is sodium ascorbyl phosphate (a stable, ineffective form) and the peptide is the last ingredient listed.

I don't mind that Boots carried out their own tests on this. Who else would pay a lot of money to have these tests done? And the tests were in vivo (skin biopsies) on humans, so how excactly is that worse than consumer evaluations (so called "real people" filling in a form saying yes, my skin does feel a bit softer)?

I won't buy again because of all the silicones (and I use other stuff that gives visible results), but I liked this better than, for example, Estée Lauder Perfectioninst CP+ serum and Olay Regenerist serum. Both of which are similar ingredients-wise.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by lisasmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Made my face feel very smooth and soft ,didn't make me go red or itchy. Possibly gave me a few small blocked pores after using it for at least 3 weeks. Nice light fragrance which disappears after application.It didn't annoy my eyes. I actually used this consistently every day until it was gone which must mean I liked it because usually I react to a product or just get bored of it. I got it in the glass pump which was hard to get the last out of so I'm pleased to see it now comes in a tube. I haven't repurchased this yet but I probably will if I see it on offer

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 11:40:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

Boots #7 Protect and Perfect ingredients:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Butylene glycol,Dimethicone cross polymer, Cyclohexasiloxane, Glycerin, Dimethicone copolyol, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium sulphate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium PCA, Retinyl palmitate, Methylparaben, Propylene glycol, Lupinus albus, Carbomer, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Panax ginseng, Morus Alba, Tocopherol, Palmitoyl pentapeptide-3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, look at all of the parabens...tsk, tsk, tsk...(shaking head...) :-(

I used the US version 1st because I did not know there was a different UK version. It was cheap @ my local Target, so I picked one up. My sister was kind enough to get the UK version when she was there. She must have purchased 20-30 tubes!

I still have a 3/4 tube left. I don't know why I stopped, but I just did. I only used it for a very short while, I'd say about 1-2 wks. I don't recall if I broke out or not, but I do remember that it absorbed nicely and did not feel greasy.
UPDATE 07/11/08--now I remember.... I got lots of little white heads and the small creases on the sides of my nostrils got flaky...also, my skin looked a bit bumpy...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by SadSadie

I'm in the "I-have-no-effing-idea-what-all-the-hype-was-about" camp on this one. Seriously, it didn't seem to make a darn bit of difference to my face or its wrinkles. Oh? What was that sound I just heard...another $25 bucks being flushed down the toilet! Shame on Boots for supposedly paying for a study to be done. I'm afraid they've lost any integrity in my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by enychucky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I dont know what I would do without this product, if I had to choose 1 thing to take on a desert Island, this is it.
I admit it does not smell particularly nice- but hell, it makes my skin so smooth and pores are much less noticable now I have been using this for past 4 months. I suffer from sensitive skin which breaks out at any small things. Whenever I do, I slap this on red blotches and it calms my skin down very quickly.
My skin improved a lot since using it. I have not really noticed 'younger loking skin' but it does calm irritations and makes my skin almost flawless.
I think it does make your skin peel somewhat, when I massge it in, I can sometimes feel my dead skin lifting off,,, for people with sensitive skin like moi who cannot tolerate scrubs, this serves as a gentlest exfoliater.

My only criticism is 1. smell, 2.that it does not last very long- I use it day and night, 30 ml bottle lasts just over a month.

but overall, fantastic product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2008 11:01:00 AM More reviews by jennyzpr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Don't believe the hype! It doesn't work and doesn't even smell that great.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2008 9:50:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this just before all the hype when it was in a glass bottle. From what I've read about the 'proof' it was only carried out in a lab under controlled conditions and not on real people in real life and it was paid for ....by Boots.

I've no idea if the anti-oxidants really work but I really hate the texture of this. Its silicone rich and my oily skin does not like it at all. Just clogs pores.Isn't even good as a moisturiser. At least I got one of their 'free' kits with it so all was not lost.
It is annoying that as soon as everyone wanted it they upped the price and put it in cheaper packaging. I have really gone off Boots No7 stuff, the quality overall is not worth the ££ they charge for it these days.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh now what can I say about Boots wonder serum??

Well, for starters this used to come in a much larger glass pump bottle, it looked very nice, but now it comes in a much SMALLER plastic tube ( for the same price no less ).

The reason for this is because of the mass hysteria that went on after this serum was PROVEN in a lab to work. Now i'm not saying it doesn't work but I know for a fact Boots paid to have their serum tested and boy was that stunt successful.
The serum claims to reduce sun damage and protect against free radicals, i'm sure it does (minimally) - its' not a miracle in a bottle, but if it's PROVEN to work then of course everyone will rush out and buy it, at one point it was out of stock across the country. C'mon ladies, get real, do you think other serums don't use the same stuff??

This stuff works, that's proven, to what degree God only knows but at least it does SOMETHING, on the other hand I hate the way Boots has reduced the amount you get and kept the price the same to increase profit, they've also removed the pretty glass bottles that you used to get and now we get plastic. Boots have also shamelessy released a body serum in the range (you can get a giant one for like £99 which they've now reduced right down because they realise they went a bit too far) and also a day and night cream. Come on Boots, we're not mugs!! Well i'm not anyway.

This stuff has the same sort of ingredients as any other serum, it makes no visible difference to my 23 yr old skin, it doesn't really make it feel that soft and i would much prefer to use an oil like Clarins oils on my skin. This stuff is OK but only OK, I wouldn't buy it but i'll use up my sample. And shame on Boots for their vulgar marketing!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2008 5:17:00 PM More reviews by suejie

All this did for me was make me oily and have breakouts. My skin felt suffocated underneath it. I think I may be sensitive to silicones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 8:30:00 AM More reviews by NarcissaM

Judging from the reviews, I appear to have been just lucky, but this has become my HG moisturiser. It smooths, evens out and even reduces pores, and has completely got rid of the fine lines around my mouth. And it seems to last too, I didn't wear it on holiday for 3 weeks and my skin continued to feel the same as after I applied it last.
As it's relatively cheap, you could give it a shot - just in case it works as well for you as it does for me.

I use the body serum aswell which has had a similar (though not as marked) effect on my neck and cleavage.