April 18, 2014 | 918 users online

Treatments - Boots - no7 Protect and Perfect beauty serum

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by SadSadie

I'm in the "I-have-no-effing-idea-what-all-the-hype-was-about" camp on this one. Seriously, it didn't seem to make a darn bit of difference to my face or its wrinkles. Oh? What was that sound I just heard...another $25 bucks being flushed down the toilet! Shame on Boots for supposedly paying for a study to be done. I'm afraid they've lost any integrity in my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by enychucky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I dont know what I would do without this product, if I had to choose 1 thing to take on a desert Island, this is it.
I admit it does not smell particularly nice- but hell, it makes my skin so smooth and pores are much less noticable now I have been using this for past 4 months. I suffer from sensitive skin which breaks out at any small things. Whenever I do, I slap this on red blotches and it calms my skin down very quickly.
My skin improved a lot since using it. I have not really noticed 'younger loking skin' but it does calm irritations and makes my skin almost flawless.
I think it does make your skin peel somewhat, when I massge it in, I can sometimes feel my dead skin lifting off,,, for people with sensitive skin like moi who cannot tolerate scrubs, this serves as a gentlest exfoliater.

My only criticism is 1. smell, 2.that it does not last very long- I use it day and night, 30 ml bottle lasts just over a month.

but overall, fantastic product.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2008 11:01:00 AM More reviews by jennyzpr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Don't believe the hype! It doesn't work and doesn't even smell that great.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2008 9:50:00 AM More reviews by AnnKB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this just before all the hype when it was in a glass bottle. From what I've read about the 'proof' it was only carried out in a lab under controlled conditions and not on real people in real life and it was paid for ....by Boots.

I've no idea if the anti-oxidants really work but I really hate the texture of this. Its silicone rich and my oily skin does not like it at all. Just clogs pores.Isn't even good as a moisturiser. At least I got one of their 'free' kits with it so all was not lost.
It is annoying that as soon as everyone wanted it they upped the price and put it in cheaper packaging. I have really gone off Boots No7 stuff, the quality overall is not worth the they charge for it these days.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh now what can I say about Boots wonder serum??

Well, for starters this used to come in a much larger glass pump bottle, it looked very nice, but now it comes in a much SMALLER plastic tube ( for the same price no less ).

The reason for this is because of the mass hysteria that went on after this serum was PROVEN in a lab to work. Now i'm not saying it doesn't work but I know for a fact Boots paid to have their serum tested and boy was that stunt successful.
The serum claims to reduce sun damage and protect against free radicals, i'm sure it does (minimally) - its' not a miracle in a bottle, but if it's PROVEN to work then of course everyone will rush out and buy it, at one point it was out of stock across the country. C'mon ladies, get real, do you think other serums don't use the same stuff??

This stuff works, that's proven, to what degree God only knows but at least it does SOMETHING, on the other hand I hate the way Boots has reduced the amount you get and kept the price the same to increase profit, they've also removed the pretty glass bottles that you used to get and now we get plastic. Boots have also shamelessy released a body serum in the range (you can get a giant one for like 99 which they've now reduced right down because they realise they went a bit too far) and also a day and night cream. Come on Boots, we're not mugs!! Well i'm not anyway.

This stuff has the same sort of ingredients as any other serum, it makes no visible difference to my 23 yr old skin, it doesn't really make it feel that soft and i would much prefer to use an oil like Clarins oils on my skin. This stuff is OK but only OK, I wouldn't buy it but i'll use up my sample. And shame on Boots for their vulgar marketing!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/14/2008 5:17:00 PM More reviews by suejie

All this did for me was make me oily and have breakouts. My skin felt suffocated underneath it. I think I may be sensitive to silicones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 8:30:00 AM More reviews by NarcissaM

Judging from the reviews, I appear to have been just lucky, but this has become my HG moisturiser. It smooths, evens out and even reduces pores, and has completely got rid of the fine lines around my mouth. And it seems to last too, I didn't wear it on holiday for 3 weeks and my skin continued to feel the same as after I applied it last.
As it's relatively cheap, you could give it a shot - just in case it works as well for you as it does for me.

I use the body serum aswell which has had a similar (though not as marked) effect on my neck and cleavage.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2008 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Brunneria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

There is too much silicone in this for me. I love having a smooth soft face, but I like it to be because my skin is smooth and soft, not because a layer of silicone makes it slippery! Also, I may be wrong here, but surely putting the silicone between my skin and the moisturiser that I put on top, will mean that the moisturiser is absorbed less well? Having greasy skin, I am used to creams sliding around my face and leaving it feeling like an oil-slick. This one doesn't leave it oily, but it does leave it slippery.

I bought this about 6 months ago, have used about half the tube, and probably won't finish it. It has a nice texture on my finger, no discernable smell (this is a good thing!) and spreads well and smoothly, but... I just can't bring myself to keep slathering it on for the 10 -12 weeks it will take for the active ingredients to have an effect. There are so many other potions and lotions out there that feel 'healthier' when I use them - Liz Earle, Decleor, Elemis, Gatineau, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter... In comparison this one just feels slippery and synthetic.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by covetous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was furious with myself for buying this, because I thought I'd just bought into all the silly hype. But....it's done amazing things! I have sensitive, quite dry skin, with a few annoying pores and lots of flaky patches in winter, and some redness. All of these things have been noticably improved, and to my astonishment some (very fine) lines have also diminished. My skin feels much smoother and softer too.
The serum does leave quite a noticable silicone-like finish (which I don't find offensive, and it doesn't interfere with my moisturiser or makeup), and I have to use quite a bit of it to get full coverage. No scent, which is good. Obviously this doesn't work for everyone, but I am thrilled with the results I've got.
It's still early days though - I really hope that these fabulous effects continue as I continue to use this product - will update if they recede or if I get any problems with further use!

UPDATE: have knocked off a star because I can't use this every day. But I still get pretty good effects from more occasional use. Further cons include the increasingly musty smell (I have noticed this in ALL No7 skin products - sort it out, Boots!) but I don't care too much since it doesn't linger and I have to use so much of this at once it doesn't take me long to get through a tube. I prefer the new (cheaper!) tube packaging.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2008 10:37:00 AM More reviews by alissss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have NO IDEA what this is supposed to do. What was the hype about? This did absolutely nothing for me. And I used it for weeks!

I would think I did not even apply this at all except it annoys me after applicaiton. It absorbs quickly and then feels like there is an invisible sheet over your skin. But not one that does something like nourish and give you great skin in the morning. You put it on, then you know you put it on because your skin feels covered and 'pulled' somehwat.. and nothing happens. Doesn't matter if you repeat it for weeks.

Not all 'hype' products are disappointing. This one just makes me baffled. What's it supposed to DO?