Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Ireverent and seductive. It's all I can say about this one. I love it. . .

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I normally do not go for department store fragrances. My taste runs toward quirky and I like fragrances that I can call my own. With that said, I am a very big fan of Tom Ford. I loved his fashion designs and was despondent when he left Gucci. I don't really know why, but his stint at YSL didn't seem to produce the same iconic pieces. But enough about fashion and on to the fragrance!

I was very anxious to try this scent because of my admiration for Ford and because it was billed as an "oriental chypre" and that is the way some of my all time favorite fragrances are categorized.

Let me say to all those who turned away from this scent at first blush: GO EASY WITH THE STUFF. If you splash this all over yourself, I suspect you will choke. It opens with a bang. Used judiciously, it is complex, unique, and just incredibly sexy.

It reminds me of my other favorite non floral floral: Viktor & Rolfs Flowerbomb.

The florals are dark and heady and tempered with lots of sugar. I also pick up some citrus notes and a tiny bit of fam. But what makes this very special is a dark, earthy undertone that I really can't identify. It stops the scent from being sweet and knocks it vaguely off-kilter, but in a good way.
After a time, a smooth, creamy vanilla that I didn't detect at first begins to emerge. But, the fragrance never gets "foody" (for me, a good thing). It goes thru a couple of other incarnations during the course of the day. Unlike some fragrances, it lasts and lasts, is always interesting, and, if I can make it wearable during the summer as well, this may very well be one of my new signature scents. Kudos to Mr. Ford!

This review is for the original Black Orchid, not the Voile de Fleur. I am a guy and I LOVE this fragrance. I wear it myself, and it gets me more compliments than anything else I own (about 30 different colognes). On me, the opening is earthy yet sweet, like a dark chocolate and rasberry Ghirardelli chocolate bar. That heavy sweetness fades after about an hour and that is where the magic begins. The spiciness and earthiness comes out here in the middle notes. After a little while the incense, vanilla, vetiver and sandalwood creeps in and mix with the still lingering sweetness (although less sweet than the opening). It's very unisex, with hints of both masculine and feminine notes and lasts longer on me than just about everything else. The thing that I wanted to point out also, because a lot of the reviews say it's very floral, is that there are, in fact, two different fragrances in almost identical bottles. The original Black Orchid is in the black bottle with a gold metal plate on the front. This is the scent I'm reviewing here. The other is the Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, which is housed in the same black bottle, but the metal face plate on this is black. This is the only difference in the bottle. I'm wondering if some reviewers here actually smelled the Voile de Fleur, rather than the original. The Voile de Fleur is not quite as earthy as the original and MUCH more floral. With the original, I do not get any florals. BTW, some stores market the original Black Orchid for both men and women. I was in Houston, TX about a month ago, and stopped in Saks at the men's fragrance counter, and they had Black Orchid sitting right next to the actual Tom Ford for men. They were selling Black Orchid right along with all of the other men's fragrances!

I got a sample of this & my first thought when i sprayed it on was ''My 85 year old nana would like this''. Its very overpowering, very VERY floral - It reminded me of another suffocating fragrance Lancome's Poeme. The dry down was not so bad - i got spice & perhaps some sugary from it, but i still found it to be a very heavy & 80's fragrance.(i am calling it overpowering inspite of the fact that my all time HG fragrance is Christian Diors Hypnotic Poison - i am not a fan of floral fragrances, but i really found Black Orchid too much!).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, I'm not surprised at the mixed reviews here - it's a very 'love it or hate it' type of perfume.

The scent is extremely strong and makes a sort of WOW, BANG statement. It's floral but HEAVY (so so heavy) and dark. The scent of truffles (really quite earthy in a musky male sort of way) came through surprisingly strong on me. I'm not sure I liked that part very much since it got a bit too much after a while and I remember trying to rinse my wrists in the mall bathroom in order to dilute it a little. But I think it's definitely a 'sexy perfume' - something you'd wear on a night out ... as long as its not in cramped spaces with lots of ppl or else everyone else will be choking on your perfume. Like another reviewer said, it's likely that others will either love it or get a headache from being near you.

The bottle itself is amazing. Black, simply and gold edging. It's expensive but a little goes a long way.

Feminine and sophistocated. It opens pretty strong, with a deep eathy undertone, a creamy floral (LOVE this floral note, and I can't pull off most florals), and a sort of...berryish feel. This will sound strange, but it smells dark velvety purple to me. Very sexy and attention getting - a fragrance for a diva. No unisex here! As it dries, more woods and mild spice come out, but the opening notes remain detectable.
This certainly won't be for everyone (especially lovers of fresh scents or the lighter fruity florals), but I think it is destined to become a modern classic.

We all know Tom Ford is brillant, but this might be the most distinct, unique smell of times. Atlas i have found a fragrance that wears all day. When i wear Black Orchid, i literally want to make out with myself. It's that good. Oh and Beware, if you wear this out, you will have a cloud of men lurking behind you. My boyfriend loves the smell so much i caught him wearing it, no joke. I recommend giving this fragrance a smell.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Dark lady and vampish wiht a caress all into one, if that makes any sense.
This is not a fragrance you would wear in the office or to the gym. It's deep, dark, bitter sweet as dark chocolate.
Makes a statement in the room when you enter..... that said, it's a love or hate fragrance; many people find it too cloying (better not overdo it: one spritz will suffice for on day!).
The patchouli and ylang in it makes it sexy, dark lady like.
I think Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo when I wear it.
I love it in winter, even if somebody will say it's very heady, don't mind them: it's high class, made with the best ingredients on the market (and expensive too).
Ungaro's Diva or Opium wearers will love it (although it's a completely different perfume) as the feeling it gives you it the same: glamour and seduction and self confidence.

______________
notes as per Osmoz:

top note: Truffle, Ylang-Ylang, Bergamot , Black Currant
middle note: Orchid, Fruity Notes, Lotus Wood
base note: Dark Chocolate, Incense, Patchouli,Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

I cannot see the grandma factor in this at all.
Most florals remind me of old women, not spicy mixes with vanilla like this one. It is sophisticated and dark. It starts medicinal but when it fades a tad
(tad being two hours or so)...you smell beautifully spicy.

I went to the grocery store with this one on after the day was nearly over and had two women positively-interested in the smell.
Its deep, potent in its difference, and spicy with a touch of sweetness coming in after a little while. If you can't wait for the sweetness I would put some vanilla into an empty bottle and combine it with water and Black Orchid.

This is not a scent for everyone. It is unique.

EDIT : I was given a nice big sample of this and gave it another try. I dont love it but it is growing on me. It is very unique. Still dont know how i really feel about it. Men hate it, that is unanimous but ladies seem to LOVE it (except me, i guess) it is very flowery and deep smelling. Im giving it more credit now even though it still confuses me.

I happen to know a lot about orchids...most smell of nothing, some smell of something rotting , and a very, very few smell nice. Obviously this smells nothing of any I've ever smelt, but comes pretty close to the rotting end of the spectrum.
This is the stuffiest fragrance I have ever come accross. There is something I like, the very odd sweetness but ends up far too cloying. But the bad part is just too bad for me. My husband rarely HATES a perfume. For him, it is "that smells nice" or "wow, that is great". He said "awful" to this. It is so strong, to breathe is a task.
The part I dont get is the "sexy" aspect of this. This scent is almost granny-ish to me, except for that sickening sweetness. It is musty, not musky...like an old, dank attic-hence the grannyishness, . Nothing "dark" about it unless not being able to breath makes it somehow dark...2.5 lippies for originality and the bottle, which I adore.

Popular Fragrances