April 18, 2014 | 573 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by smileandactnice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I wrote a pretty scathing review of the fig fragrance CC not too long ago, but my bff swapped me her sweet almond for my fig.
I was really really nervous to try it but she assured me it was much gentler than the fig. So I tried it and she was right.
My scalp didn't tingle or burn this time. There was just a nice cooling sensation.
I used it the new way they say--half for my first 'shampoo' and half for the second part where it 'conditions'. I did the comb through and all that stuff. I also rinsed with cool (not freezing) water, as opposed to my usual hot wash/rinse.
This time I used my fave leave in conditioner, a little argan oil for shine and dried as usual.
My hair came out just stunning! Very full, considering this conditioner thingy...I was afraid I'd have limp hair. The shine is actually the best thing--phenomenal! And I can comb without any tangles.
Styling went really well this morning. I used a spritz of thermal protector first and a jumbo curling iron to do big beachy waves. My hair looks and feels amazing--I can't stop touching it and flipping it all around.lol I used a good regime before that made my hair look great, but today is just simply a good hair day :)
A few notes... The almond CC is a thinner consistency than the Fig...It has more slip to it too. The smell isn't overpowering but I still am not very fond of it--I don't really like to smell like menthol or rosemary--I wish it smelled like anything from Charles Worthington, but for the shine and bounce, I'll take smelling like a greek salad.lol
I think doing two washes makes it work good too. That way you cleanse your scalp, rinse and then really give it to the mid-shafts and ends so they'll get good and treated.
One complaint though that it does tend to run and it stings like crazy if you get it in your eyes...I am highly allergic and sensitive though so it could just be me.
This particular CC is ideal for breakage like I get around my hairline from flat ironing and high-lift tints. The hairs are now so soft and moist, and they behave nicely instead of sticking up like crazy.lol
One other tiny nit pick is the label on the bottle. For the high-end feel this product is supposed to offer, the label is kinda crappy. I've only had it a couple days and my bff a week or so before that, but the label is already wrinkling and looking like it's going to peel off. Not to be petty, but for what this stuff costs, you'd think they could find a decent water-proof label...I mean it's just sitting in the shower, not soaking in the tub, you know?
Overall this sweet almond CC is just fabulous and I love it!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2012 10:36:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using the WEN sweet almond mint cleansing conditioner for almost a month. I had long hair, to the middle of my back. My hair was a dark brown and I have oily roots and dry ends. I cut my hair to shoulder length last week and I had blonde highlights put in. I was skeptical about this product because I thought it would make my hair look greasier. I got the TSV on QVC so I have the big 32 oz bottle. The instructions say to use a lot of pumps but they are referring to the smaller 16 oz size. If you have the large bottle, the pumps release more product. For me I use 4 pumps, 1 on my crown, 1 on the nape of my neck, and 1 on each side of my head. Then I rinse and repeat, using 4 again for a total of 8 pumps when I wash my hair. When my hair was longer I used 16 total. I've always had to wash my hair everyday because of my oily roots. The first time I used this product, my hair looked great and then it looked oily the next day. I went back and read the instructions and it said you should use more product and split it in half, washing the hair twice. Since I did that, my hair feels so soft and clean. I only have to wash my hair once every 2 days. I know this stuff is expensive and time consuming but I was spending more money for Fekkai because I had to wash my hair every single day. Once I apply the conditioner, I use a wide tooth comb to comb my hair, getting out all the tangles, and then I let it set for 10 minutes, rinse, repeat and let it set for another 10-15. Make sure you rinse your hair thouroughly. Even when you think it's all out, keep rinsing. I use luke warm water like the instructions say. The smell is nice, it has a minty scent to it that I like. I want to try the pomegranite next because I have the finshing cream in pomegranite and it smells wonderful. I can only speak for myself but I am glad I tried this product. Even though it is time consuming, I wash my hair a 1/3 less than I did before so I'm happy with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2012 8:30:00 PM More reviews by dsmiljanic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product!!!!
I have waist-length, baby-fine hair, but a ton of it! And this product works very well for me!
It's so important to follow all the directions. Go to the walk through on YouTube for additional tips from Wen.
I can't say I love rinsing my hair in cool water but I tried it with both luke warm and hot and neither has the same effect. Rinsing with cool water really helps this product work.
As for the price...honestly for the results, it's worth it! I was using a much more expensive Kerastase cleansing balm previously and the results are comparable.
Also, I don't wash my hair everyday, which may be the other reason why I am having success with this product. Every 3-4 days max. Before I switched from shampoo, washing that regularly would cause so much damage and dryness that I could never get my hair to grow past my brastrap! So my hair got used to going a few days between washes.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by queenchristina

I wanted so badly to jump on the no-shampoo bandwagon, so I finally broke down and purchased Wen after the raving reviews. Unfortunately, I absolutely hated it. If you have fine, straight hair, DO NOT waste your money on this product. My hair looked and felt completely gross.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 9:49:00 AM More reviews by bloodymerry52

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think this is my fav Wen formula. It is light enough for daily use and does not weigh down my hair. I've used SAM to "clarify" my hair and it works fine. I use Fig when my hair is really dry but I don't care for the scent, too sickly and cough syrupy. The cleansing conditioner and Re Moist are my two favs! I will add that the packaging sucks. When you get down to the last bit of product, I have to take out the pump, and pound the bottle on my hand to get it to come out. Even then I still can't get the very last bit of it out and this stuff is expensive so yeah I want to get every drop.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by katelynn89

UGH. horrible, horrible product. seriously, such a let down. after watching the commercial several times i was so excited to have my hair look super shiny and full of volume like the models as shown television. according to the commercial, with 16-24 pumps of wen your hair can look amazing, right? wrong. if i could give this negative lippies, i would.

the first time i tried wen i did exactly as the directions said. after all said and done, my hair was greasy and really weighed down. it wasn't shiny at all, in fact it looked like i hadn't showered in days! i will admit it does smell really nice, but for someone who has fine, straight hair, wen will make your hair look really gross.

for the amount of money i spent, i really tried to "get into" it. after several more tries, i gave up and switched back to shampoo and conditioner. i would never buy this product again!

maybe wen works for some gals, but definitely not for me. total waste of money!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by mallitabr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product! I buy mine from QVC in the 32 ounce size. I've used it for about 2 years now. I have medium long frizzy hair, and this product really seems to help the frizziness. I've tried the cucumber, fig, and lavendar, and this is my favorite in terms of smell and results. It is expensive, so I usually only use this when I want a sleek blow-out. I will use a cheap drug store brand if I'm going to put my hair in a pony tail.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2012 1:02:00 AM More reviews by sweetasianpear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't even buy this product. My friend did and I was spending the night at her house. So I decided to try it. The only thing I like is that it smells nice. It made my hair feel like I just drenched it with oil and ran a comb through it. I could not wait to go home and wash and condition my hair with the stuff I have at home.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 6:45:00 PM More reviews by KristantheGreat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

To get the best result from ANY product you use, read and follow the directions. Don't deviate. I use Wen every time I wash my hair and my hair is smoother and has less breakage. It does clean my hair because I follow the directions, exactly.
Pros: Sulfate/Detergent free
Gently cleanses
Cons: Time consuming
You have to use a lot of product
Expensive
Would I recommend? Hmm the 39.95 starter pack...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2012 12:02:00 AM More reviews by blackmagicwoman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all, this isn't exactly cheap...and you have to use a lot of it. But since I use A LOT of conditioner anyways, it's really no different from buying salon conditioner and shampoo.

I love it. I have very long curly hair that's thin. This makes it feel super soft and shiny, even when I straighten it afterwards. Also, since I've been using it...only about a month now...my hair gets less greasy so quickly. My bangs used to get pretty greasy the next day after washing, now no way at all.
You do have to scrub it into your scalp very well if you want it to clean though, it won't lather at all...so if you're lazy and just rub some on and rinse...you're not going to get clean hair.
A lot of people have been saying that they wash their scalp with it, rinse, and then rub into the scalp again and also condition the length of the hair. I just follow the bottle instructions...I massage into my scalp, about 5 pumps. When I'm done with that I put about 5 more pumps onto the length of my hair...I'm bound and determined not to use as much as it says you should (I want to stretch the bottle out!) It says you should use 15 or more if you have long hair. My hair falls below my boobs...so I would call it long and I only use 10 pumps most times, just be smart about it. Anyways, and then I just do the rest of my shower stuff...body wash, shave, wash my face...and at the end I rinse it out. And I've never had any problems, just be thorough and you'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to using it for a longer time so my hair will go even longer without growing greasy...since washing your hair everyday is bad for your hair. I truly believe that the people who don't like it are just using it incorrectly...but then again, perhaps some hair types don't take to it.

Overall, it is expensive (for some people, including me) but worth it. I'd rather splurge on this and buy $2 hair spray and just not eat out like 2 times when I would have...and presto, that's the cost of it! Haha, or that's how I justify it.