September 2, 2014 | 1920 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by elliotx

This is a great moisturizer that does all the things a good moisturizer should do without causing breakouts or greasiness. It's impressive how little you need to stay hydrated all day. I also found it slightly calming, which in my book is huge because practically everything irritates me. I'll repurchase throughout the winter, because frankly, it's the best moisturizer I've personally tried and I'm in no mood to experiment with cheaper products on the quest for my HG.
Can't give it a 5 because yeeeaahh..it IS overpriced. Just is. This stuff is no miracle that will transform your skin, but it is an excellent moisturizer, and that's all it's really supposed to do.
I'd say it's definitely worth a try if you're curious, and you can always get a sample that should last a couple of weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by kycouture94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is SUPER pricey- but worth it. A little goes a long way, so you won't run out of it quickly. I had a MASSIVE burn on my face from leaving toothpaste on a zit all night (BAD IDEA!!) and within 2 days, I noticed a huge difference in the healing process of my burn. The smallest jar that they offer is $150, and the next size up is $275. This will definitely be a product that I'll use throughout my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by erinrebecca

I got a sample at Bloomingdales and used it for a few days--- then went to buy the full size $130 bottle of it. I have very dry, acne prone skin, so keeping my skin balanced is a challenge. For dryness, my biggest skin problem is around my mouth, where my skin is red and flaky in the winter.

At first I thought this was a great cream--- very high quality, nicely moisturizing, seemed to sooth my skin. Instantly moisturized the area around my mouth. But after about 1-1/2 weeks of using it, I began to break out in very tiny pimples and clogged pores everywhere. Plus, the dry flaky patches around my mouth returned. I continued using it for 3 weeks--- i wanted to give the cream a good chance considering the investment, and felt that maybe my skin just had to adjust/purge--- and my skin just continued to get worse. To the point where I needed to use peroxide on my face for a week, day and night, to clear it up. So I have discontinued using it. (on a side note, my fiancee does not like the smell of it; he thinks it smells a little like a Grandmotherly fragrance)

So, although I think it is really a good quality creme, for me it is just not worth the $130. If you are curious about it, and can afford to purchase the smallest $130 tub of it, try it. There are a lot of reviews on MakeupAlley that are glowing. For the 5-1/2 or 6 weeks that i used it, I used about 1/2 of the bottle. So the $130 bottle should last about 2-1/2 or 3 months, I would expect.

Because I use sunscreen everyday, I also purchased the La Mer $70 sunscreen---- which is wonderful. Light, silky, does the job. Still too expensive, but it is a great facial sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Anchi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have acne prone skin and my skin never looked better then it does now! I have been using this moisturizer for just over a month and am seeing great results. I have quite large pores and acne scars. Since using the cream my pores look much smaller and my scars are not as visible. My skin tone is nice and even and my face feels amazingly smooth and soft! I live in a very cold and dry place so this is an amazing moisturizer for winter. Yes I get it that it is expensive but it is worth every penny!!!! I was truly hoping not to like this product when I initially purchased it but I have to admit that it will be very very very hard to try and switch to a different cream.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just finished my first jar of Creme de la Mer, and I have to say I'm not a fan. I also needed more product then the pea sized amount they recommend because there is hardly anything left on my finger to apply when the cream is warmed up. My skin is dry and eczema sensitive and this didn't do anything for me, it did not moisturize enough and seemed to dry my skin out even more! I suffer from flakey skin underneath my eyes and around my lips and La Mer did not really improve my skin, I think that it even made it worse!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by hufs

This product is a joke.
I am supposed to take a pea size amount and warm it up using my fingertips. By the time I have melted the product there is nothing for my face. I have used many high end creams but this one is really not anywhere near La prairie, Sisley or cle du pau.
But I admit I do have really soft fingertips. :)

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 10:57:00 AM More reviews by PrintesaBlonda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I first tried La Mer when I was 15 after reading too many celebrity magazines! I saved,saved (and saved a little more!) and purchased the 30ml jar. After finishing the jar I noticed no difference what so ever but now I understand that this was because my skin was perfect then! It wasn't until I tried it again now (I am 21) that I have experienced the wonderful transformation that it promises. When I was around 17 I developed horrible cystic acne which eventually calmed down (but not completely until I tried Roaccutane) I was left with significant "rolling scars" which are tiny indentations that make the skin look very uneven in terms of texture. Thankfully I have worked for the Estee Lauder Companies for a number of years now so I do manage to pick this up at a discounted price but even if I had to pay full price I would as this creme has transformed my skin these days. Scars are disappearing as I use it,my skin feels soft,plump and soothed and people actually compliment me on my skin (I have never had compliments on my skin before). If you are experiencing skin issues and want something that will make a difference please try La Mer you will not regret it! If you have perfect skin (lucky you) at best this will be a good moisturiser for you but you will not see the transformational benefits like those that have had and do have skin issues.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Lotus5

I have used this product for about two years. Although I don't think it's a "miracle" (for me anyway), it is my go to moisturizer for the harsh New England winter months. My skin dries out quickly in the winter and this cream keeps it well hydrated without being oily (if I use it in the summer I break out, so it is definitely only a winter cream for my skin). You really need to warm it up to be able to pat it into your skin, but it doesn't take that long. If you are worried about the price, go to a counter and see if they will give you a sample to try out before you spend the money. Everyone's skin is different, my advice is go and talk to one of the La Mer sales people, they are super knowledgeable and are really there to help.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by huntingjanuary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Yes, it's super expensive. We get it. I think a product can't be judged by price alone if you don't understand what exactly you're getting. You're getting 5 years off your skin every year you use this product. Don't hate a product because it's pricey. Hate it because it doesn't work, hate it because it's overhyped. I won't ever turn my back on La Mer and I've tried plenty of moisturisers. My mum and sister swears by them, and judging by the many compliments they get of looking younger than their age? I think I know who they should thank.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by Jillybean04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This another product that falls in the catagory of my biggest pet peeves, products that get bad reviews based on price alone.
First of all this product is hardly what could be called overly expensive. The price is nowhere near many of the other leading industry products that I have and do use. When you are reading the reviews on this, as well as many other high end products, you will see several comments about the price. The reveiw should be on the product alone. Then you have several reviews by people that have never even purchased it and are basing the review on samples and openly admit thay would never spent this amount of money on a face cream. Really, come on, you cannot review a product off of a sample. Face products almost always have an accumalitive effect, you must use it daily to get results. Samples are for the simple purpose of letting a potential customer get an idea of texture, consistancy etc and to be sure you are not going to have an allergic reaction soon after applying. I feel that this is another example of a product getting unfair ratings. Ladies, this nor any other face cream is a miracle in a jar. With higher end products you are getting a product made with better quality ingrediants and made by a larger name company that backs their products and usually provides better cs. Thats what you are paying for. Dont expect an instant face lift. Ive said it time and time again, dont buy products out of your price range, you are asking for disappiontment when they dont perform miracles.
Anyway, rant over, on to the review.
This really is a great moisturizer. Nothing compares for adding moisture to my face. It is very thick and may be too much for aomeone with oily or acne prone skin, but if you have dry skin, this stuff is great. I have normal skin, sometimes dry, depending on weather, products I have been using etc. I do not use this every day, just when I need extra moisture. It is my go to product for the week after doing a facial peel. I like all of the LM products. I also use the eye balm, I personally like it better than the cream. I love the hand cream, it stays in my hand bag year round. I will continue to purchase LM products.

17 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No