December 20, 2014 | 1805 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - Almay - Oil-free eye makeup remover liquid

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2008 3:33:00 PM More reviews by stephmerchant

This product is very gentle, it didn't bother my contacts at all. It also didn't remove anything, it really didn't work any better than water.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 3:32:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

I bought this because I had a coupon and I was in desperate need of an eye makeup remover. It didn't sting my eyes at all even with my contacts on. However, it didn't remove all my waterproof mascara and kind of smeared black streaks around my eyes. I don't think I'll be buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2008 10:48:00 AM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Like another reviewer said, I should have read the reviews here first! This was just a lousy product. I thought the oil-free formula would be great from my breakout-prone skin, but after about two weeks of using this, pink, irritated cystic bumps formed on my lower lids! They were horribly painful, but never came to a head (I was able to carefully treat them with Mario Badescu Drying Lotion). Thankfully they weren’t too puffy so I could conceal them. Since I hadn’t added anything new to my skincare and makeup routine except this, I know this is to blame. If this eye makeup remover was even decent at removing eye makeup, then I couldn’t consider it a total bust of a product. But it was awful; it didn’t remove mascara at all! Even regular (non-waterproof) formulas were hard to remove and after a lot of rubbing (which is bad for contact lens wearers like me) is only smeared the mascara around. A very disappointing product with no positive attributes. I won’t buy this again, instead I’ll stick with DHC Deep Cleansing Oil (separate review).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 2:14:00 AM More reviews by glorylight4ever

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wish I had read the reviews for this product here before I bought this on the fly. I honestly wanted to like this, considering that my eyes are very, very sensitive, and that Almay markets its products as gentle, and ideal for people with extremely sensitive skin. Well, score one for the marketers at Almay because I sure was duped into buying this product. All this did was burn my eyelids and leave tons of makeup behind.

REMOVING ABILITY: (1/5)

This really does not get the makeup off my eyes. I used this in a number of ways over the past week or so, and I have found that it is just plain ineffective. I tried it on just plain, powder eye shadow without any sort of base underneath, and I had to keep going over it again and again with at least 3 cotton balls to get the shadow off. And even then, it left a weird tint on my lid. I tried it with non-waterproof eyeliner and mascara, and it was beyond hopeless. I felt like I was scraping my eyelids off. So then I thought maybe if its useless on the whole lid, I could try and use it to fix minor errors when I’m doing my eyes. So I dipped a cotton bud into it and tried to fix the edges of my shadow, and, well, it did almost nothing, and actually made the shadow fade really weirdly on the edges. Finally, I tried it as a secondary remover for my cold cream. I used cold cream (something that I know doesn’t really irritate my skin) to remove most of my makeup and then tried to use this to remove the rest of the cold cream. It sort of worked, but there were still more traces of mascara on my lids than I am used to seeing after using makeup remover wipes in a similar fashion.

GENTLENESS: (1/5)

Given Almay’s reputation for catering to people with sensitive skin, and given the ineffective nature of this product, you would think that it would feel harmless. WRONG. The package boasts that this remover is “infused with a botanical blend of aloe, cucumber and green tea to condition, hydrate and soothe skin,” and has a nice picture of some aloe and cucumber slices on the label. What a joke. If you look at the ingredients, you’ll notice that they’re pretty much last on the list. But I don’t buy eye makeup remover for the aloe, though I do expect it to not burn my eyelids. This product burned my eyes so badly. My skin was irritated and raw, and it hurt to the touch. After using this for just two nights, my eyelids were dry like sandpaper and it hurt to smile and blink. I found that the product also leaves a weird, sticky film or residue behind on the skin that you have to rinse off. Also, if even the slightest bit got into my eyes, it stung horribly.

PACKAGING: (3/5)

Nothing unusual here. The bottle is a fairly sturdy cylinder with a screw top lid. I wish that the opening wasn’t so wide, to minimize the over dispensation of product. But overall, it could be worse.

COST: (1 = dirt cheap, 5 = expensive) 1.5/5

This really is not very expensive. One bottle containing 4 Fl Oz (18 mL) runs about 5 USD.

MISCELLANEOUS:

It has a sharp, slightly sour smell, kind of like alcohol. I think that is because Almay hasn't added any external fragrances, so you actually smell the remover itself.

VERDICT: (1/5)

This is a sub par product with a great advertising campaign. It doesn't remove makeup, and it burned my eyes and skin in the bargain. I am going to return this product, and I will never buy it again.

INGREDIENTS:
Water (Aqua), Poloxamer 184, Butylene Glycol, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2008 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not the greatest makeup remover... I don't even know why I purchased this twice. I guess it's b/c I don't wear heavy makeup except liner and non-waterproof mascara. I thought this worked alright for e/s and mascara, but it doesn't take off gel liners very well. It also leaves a sticky film behind but that never really bothered me since I wash my face right after removing my eye makeup anyways.

Get the Neutrogena oil free remover. It's so much better.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2008 9:08:00 PM More reviews by chica21608

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this to try it out. I've been using L'Oreal eye makeup remover forever, so I wanted to try something different.
Unfortunately, its not all that good. It removes your eye makeup, but not thoroughly. It definitely doesn't condition the eye area and like the previous post said it leaves makeup behind.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2008 10:39:00 PM More reviews by gracesg

This eye make up remover smells like alcohol. Alcohol is drying, and not the kind of substance i feel comfortable dousing my under eye area in. it works okay, but i cant get past the idea that i am drying out the delicate skin around my eyes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by siamesekiss

Honestly this has not worked for me better than just using water does. I switched from Maybelline remover (non greasy w/ the blue letters) for political reasons and I miss it. The Almay just doesn't have enough soap or actual remover in it to do the job and I don't wear waterproof mascara. After using a cotton ball soaked in remover on both eyes, I end up with slight raccoon circles under each eye. This never happened with the Maybelline. As for the bottle, the opening is a bit large. I wish it were smaller so a triple size cotton ball would more than adequately cover the top but as of right now it barely does. Maybe they do that because you need more remover to actually remove all your eye makeup. On the plus side it's definitely not greasy. Next I will try Neutragena and see how that one works.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 4:36:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This make up remover does not get everything off for me, but most of my eye make up.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2008 1:04:00 AM More reviews by VivaNashvegas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For me, it gets the job done. I had been using Maybelline eye makeup remover, but this had about 4 times the product for the same price, so I switched for the better deal. I don't wear a ton of eye makeup, and I had no problem getting any mascara residue left from washing my face off with this.I can't tell ya how well it works on waterproof mascara,however. It definitely has a killer sting to it though if it gets your eyes, so I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive eyes, even though it is supposed to be hypoallergenic, and, according to the bottle, it won't cause irritation.

Mine has added aloe, cucumber, and green tea. This is all supposed to "condition,hydrate, and soothe" my skin, but I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Overall, I'd say the product is so-so. It works, and you gets 4oz. of remover for just a few bucks, but there's a chance you'll get a bitch of a stinging sensation,too.