October 24, 2014 | 1549 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by womanofmilwaukee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I also make DIY C Serum and love it.
To get the anti aging benefits it is imperative that the PH level be below 3.5 which allows it to absorb into the skin.
Never ever use C serum that has yellowed or darkened, this is the sign of oxidation.
Use in the mornings, but NOT with copper peptides since they cancel each other out.

For your DIY materials:

Making Cosmetics

Skinactives

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 5:06:00 AM More reviews by blahblahh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's a no-go for my face (hello whiteheads etc), but love it for the body. I mix 1/4 LAA with 2 teaspoons of water, shake it and spray it all over my body and top it with body moisturizer. The result is brighter, more radiant skin tone all over. I make sure I use it consistently a few days before a big night's out - it makes a difference in the pictures. Too bad I can't use it for the face, but that's alright, that's why they have store bought vitamin C serum.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 8:41:00 AM More reviews by josie13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using vitamin C homemade serum for over two weeks and I love it.
I bought a large size of pure ascorbic acid from the health food store and the first time I mixed 1/8 tsp of ac with 2tsp of water and I applied it to my face, neck and chest. It dried to a whitish powder and I rinsed it off because it felt really gritty. I also noticed a dark pigmentation spot under my eye got darker and I was reluctant to use it again.
After a couple days the spot faded somewhat so I thought I'd give it another try. This time I mixed the ac with Reviva Rosewater spray. This really worked because the rosewater spray has glycerin and hayaluronic acid plus lots of other really good ingredients. The serum glided on my skin, did not leave a gritty residue and I did not have to rinse it off. I was able to use my moisturiser on top of it.
I make the serum fresh every day. It's so simple; 1/8 tsp of ac and 2tsp of Reviva rosewater spray. My skin has responded extremely well. It's glowing and the texture is much more refined.
I also make sure I rub some serum on the back of my hands. It is an excellent treatment.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 10:45:00 AM More reviews by babythequeen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

A must have for your skin care routine. It does amazing things for the skin. I have old acne pigmentation that shows up when I stop using this.. as soon as I use it again, my skin evens out. My only tip is not to make the serum too strong. If it feels overly itchy and burning, you have made it too strong and it will irritate and potentially breakout your skin. A formulation that causes very mild tingling that goes away in a few minutes is what I find works best and offers the greatest benefit. Also, I use a dark colored spray bottle so that I can quickly spray this all over my face, neck, and chest. LOVE!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by getta

I would like to thank everyone for writing a review on this. I purchased the NOW brand and make a 10% solution in a base of Chinese green tea. (that has soaked for about 2-8 hours) and cooled downed. Green tea is also a powerful antioxidant.
So thats
5grams in 50ml

I have noticed that my face is brighter, my darks spots have faded. It is even helping the active acne. The active acne have all went away. Which is great because I dont have to use another product to treat that. My fiance told me not to stop using it. Its amazing. Thats means alot because I have had acne since I was 11, I am now 32. Our weddign is in four months and this gives me hope.

I was usign this solution (10%) with my La Roche Anthelios sunscreen and it was fine. I switched to the Mary Kay sunscreen because its lighter and now its reacting with the 10% vit C toner.

I will use the toner at night before I use my Mary Kay night solution. I do not want to change anything. I hope it does not affect the efficacy fo the night solution which is awesome! ( will write a review fro that to)

I have been usign this for one 2 weeks, but will write an update every month.

01May2012: OKAY So i reduced the concentration to 7%. I think it was to strong. It works great. My colleague said my face was so bright and tight like I had work done. I can feel the collagen building effects. My face feels firmed. Its weird. I use it during the day before my sunscreen. I can't wait to see it full effects in three months. I have made it for my sister and my colleague. Thank you MUA. I will keep you posted.

03May2012: I went to get a facial today, and my esthetician told me that my face felt full. She has been giving me facials monthly for the past two year. No I did not put on any weight. I actually lost 6 pounds. Its the vitamin c actually building collagen. This stuff is amazing.

14May2012: My face is awesome. Something drastically happened in teh past two weeks. I have had only 2 pimples in the past two weeks which is awesome. My face is golden. The spots are 90% goen and constantly flaking off everyday. I love this stuff. My friend that works in my company told me that My face looks gorgeous. At this rate I might not need make up for the wedding. THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE THAT POSTED A REVIEW. IM SO INDEBTED TO YOU ALL. 7% seems to be my magic number for the concentration of toner. I will keep it there. I also take about 2500 mg of vitamin in divided doses daily. I think this helps the inflammatory process inside the body.
23may2012: Okay so I noticed that since I changed to the 7%, I did not notice the glow in my skin anymore and the rate of scar removal was very slow. My skin is not reverting, but it not on that steady incline of improval that I saw previously. When I used the 10% solution, I soaked my cotton in it, and gently padded it on my face. When I used the 7%, I had to wipe it 2-3 times over, which is not good. Also the collagen building effects is not apparent at the 7% concentration. I went back to the 10% and it did not burn.

*****The key to not burning or stripping your skin with this is to pat it, and not wipe it. YOu will remove skin if you wipe. I will update you in one month**

07June2012: The 10% was burning so bad. My skin was so red.So made a new serum. 5ml glycerin, 5ml vitamin distilled water, and 1 gram vitamin c. Thats a 10% solution

12June2012: I broke out in 4 pimple. I knew it was due to the glycerin. My skin was so supple though. Now I understand why people rave about mixing glycerin. I have never had moisturized skin like that, but I have to stop. I stopped the vitamin c solution all together for my skin to heal. My skin is so sensitive and I know its because of the vitamin c. I am using retin a, so the combined effects are crazy. I was not using retin a, I would be able to tolerate the vitamin c more. I dont know about 10%, but more.

25July2012: So my skin is doing very very very well. I just needed to give it time to repair itself. I stopped using my retin a since 12June2012. I started mary kay night solution on 18June2012. My skin is so healthy with no acne. I think I was OVEREXFOLIATING WITH VITAMIN C AND RETIN A. PLEASE DO NOT OVEREXFOLIATE YOUR SKIN- CHEMICALLY OR PHYSICALLY.

01July2012: So I started a biweekly vitamin c mask. I started on 23July2012. It 1/3 of an aloe plant (just pulp), 1/2 cucumber (pulp), blended together and make 1% solution vitamin c separately. I wash my face, put the 1% toner on. then put the pulp paste over it. leave on for 30-1hr. This brightens my skin, shrink my pores, and refines my face. Its just enough vitamin C I need.

Lesson learrned: LESS IS MORE. BE GENTLE WITH YOUR FACE.

05/24/2013: SO I am about 9.5 months pregnant and have been using this toner. It is amazing. Because I stopped my retinol regimen due to the pregnancy, I did not have much to use. I broke out bad between months 5-8. I started using just the vitamin C toner at 1-5% solution and my face is clear again. I love this toner. I really helped treat my melasma and tighten my pores. My face is so smooth and clear. So ladies that are pregnant, this is something that you can use on your face. Remember its fine, because its use vitamin C. The same vitamin c found in your multivitamin.

90 out of 95 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wanted this to work for me but so far it just isn't. I have tried a few different recipes, with and without glycerin, aloe vera, and just plain vit c powder and distilled water. All of which broke me out. I even tried very weak concentrations to no avail. I was looking forward to brightening and evening my skintone and any sunprotection factor this was going to give. I am still all for making homemade products and am having a really positive experience with diy niacinamide toner right now. I just don't think Vit C agrees with my skin. The breakouts this caused were by no means terrible but I just don't think they are going away and not worth it to continue using this. Will try to use up my supply on my body.

Edit - i think this is working better for me now *fingers crossed* I use a 10% solution - water and vit c powder only. i think my issues before was I was making it too strong for my skin to tolerate and was rubbing it in. Now I just pat it in gently. I am not 100% sure if I am seeing results but i think my skin looks somewhat better in the morning after I use this and I have not attributed any new breakouts to this.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 5:29:00 AM More reviews by Nadelaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Making your own Vitamin C serum is really easy and effective. I've bought a pump bottle from ebay and use some Neutrogena cream with no harmful additives as a base. I've purchased some pure ascorbic acid powder from iHerb, and I put a teaspoon of it in the pump bottle. I add a few drops of jojoba oil and pure hyaluronic acid which I've purchased on eBay (you don't have to do this if you want a really cheap serum). This makes the 'serum' a little bit more slippery which I like and of course the ingredients are good for your skin. My skin looks radiant, plump and blemish free with this homemade serum! Would really recommend trying this!

A quick tip: use the code UPU014 on iHerb to get 5$ of your order!

9 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by angelicbaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I started researching this recipe when I came upon it on youtube.

I purchased my ascorbic acid (Pure Vitamin C powder) at Holland and Barratt - a health food chain in the UK.

I desolve about 1/8 or less ascorbic acid with 1 tsp of distilled water and use an old make up brush to apply the solution to my face.

The solution does tingle at first but that soon stops however once the solution dries on my skin, I am left with a powder residude which itches like mad and makes my skin feel tight.

At present I am only leaving the solution for about 40 minutes or until I can bear the itching no longer. I wash it off with cotton pads soaked in Red Rose Water and apply a fragrance free moisturing lotion.

My skin is not too bad considering my age but I do feel that my skins feels plumper and very silky soft since I started this treatment.

Also, the first time I tried it, I got comments from work colleagues commenting on how fresh my skin looked. A very welcome boost to my ego.

Not only will I continue to use this treatment once a week I have also passed the recipe to some of my colleagues who are eager to try it for themselves.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by kcm123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like so many, I'm thrilled to have found this remedy. I'm super cheap, so I've been putting it in a tiny glass bottle I already had, and then snapping that into a 35mm film canister (always knew those would be handy some day!) which is basically air and light-proof; applying with cotton ball. Not so pretty, but basically free!! I've been storing it in the fridge which makes it feel lovely when you put it on, but don't know if that actually helps lengthen the shelf life.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by annieoakly

Okay so I have acne prone skin with acne marks and uneven skin tone... so I went in search of something cheap that I could make st home.... and I came across vitamin serums. Well I have vitamin c tables 1000mg and I have bottled water and an extra travel sized bottle around the house so I decided to try it without a few of the ingredients from a recipe I found. I start by crushing two 1000 mg tables of ascorbic acid vitamin c ( the HEB brand) and then place into travel sized bottle, then fill with lukewarm water and shake. I make sure to shake it before each use. The results are crazy good! My skin is brighter, and so much smoother!! I have only been using for a few days so I can't tell you if it is fading acne scares, but it has evened everything out! And will these results I'll keeping using it!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No