April 21, 2014 | 1907 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2012 12:50:00 PM More reviews by AshleyFontenot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really makes my skin look a whole lot better. I will use this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by astrick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Holy cow!!! I've been making my own cleaning products for years because I was tired of spending $5.00 a bottle for something that's mostly water. Skin care is no different, just more expensive. I don't know why I didn't think of making my own skin care earlier!

I've been using this for 5 days. My skin is more even toned and my fine lines look better. Since I can make this weekly, I can ensure the Vitamin C stays potent. I'm waiting on my hyaluronic acid to arrive so I can add it to the mix.

Thank you SOOOOOO much!!! I will never go back to paying for Vitamin C serum again.

PS... I use the recipe posted by DuchessofGrapes. See her post below for the recupe...

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by span29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was interested in using a Vitamin C serum because I had a large scar that I wanted to fade. I was hoping for minimal results - a lightening of the scar, but I am so surprised that my scar is gone!

I've used the serum for about 4 months now.

My recipe:
1/2 tablespoon of L-ascorbic powder (NOW Foods Brand)
2 tablespoons of hot water
1/2 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin
*During the winter months when my skin is dry, I add a Vitamin E capsule and an Aloe Vera leaf for extra hydration.
- I store the serum in an amber dropper bottle.

The serum might sting the first time using it, which is normal. However, if it the stinging does not subside even after a few minutes, then wash it off and try diluting the solution.

I put this all over my face and body. At first I was hesitant to put it on my face due to the eczema on my cheeks, but oddly enough, it did not burn my face. My skin feels "thicker" and maybe that was why it helped.

I love this serum. You can get even better results when you use it in conjunction with a hyaluronic product. In the morning I use Hada Labo Hyaluronic Acid Lotion and then put the serum on. My mother asked me what foundation I was wearing! It gives me the most amazing glow!

I have also seem some improvement on my stretch marks (yay!). The lines are still visible, but they feel much smoother. They no longer have the pitted texture. I will use this for a few more months and see how that goes.

I will continue using this serum forever!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by kristlkrost

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

God I wish you could answer people's posts..Is there any way to do that??I'm just now getting into making all kinds of home made concoctions and will make this too..Thank you all..It's a lot of fun You can buy most stuff on ebay very cheap..Also the Perlabella line at Walgreens is GREAT stuff..NO water and micro sponge technology and it 's only 20 bucks!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love using vitamin c serum on my face. This is my recipe:
1 tsp Camu Camu or Ascobic Acid
1 1/2 tbsp Water
1/2 tbsp Vegetable Glycerin
10 drops Licorice Root Extract
10 drops Raspberry Extract
I mix the hot water and powder, then add the glycerin and extracts. I keep it in a blue dropper bottle and make it fresh every week. The licorice and raspberry extracts help to tighten and reduce pigmentation. Whenever I get a pimple, the scar stays around for SUCH a long time even if the pimple goes away in a day. I'm also out in the sun a lot since I live in a tropical area. As a natural redhead, I need to make sure that I'm protecting my skin (vitamin c helps) and keeping it glowing and freckle free (licorice and raspberry helps). It has been such an amazing addition to my skincare routine. I make most of my own products and this is one of the first things that I ever made. When I found out how easy and effective this kind of stuff was to make, it didn't start a new hobby for me. It was a revelation that pushed me into a lifestyle change that has been so much cheaper, healthier, and effective for me. You can totally customize this serum for any skin type or problem. I love it.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2012 3:46:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

I have decided to make my own Vitamin C Serum at home, as I feel that the Obagi C serum I have is very expensive, and it doesn't work by the time I am halfway through the bottle, because of the oxidation that occurs with the product. So, I recently purchased Vitamin C crystals, and I got filtered water and put it in a clean spray bottle. I plan to spray my hand once, wet my index finger, and use that to dip it into my small container of Vitamin C crystals. I then add the small amount to the palm of water, and after the C has dissolved, I apply it to my face. It stings, but my Obagi serum stings when I first get a bottle; I think the stinging indicates that the C is still active. Anyway, after about an hour, my skin is now glowing and is dewy like it used to be. I will make an update after I have done this for a few weeks. I am a big fan of vitamin C serums, but I feel they are way overpriced for how unstable they are. I like the idea of making my own fresh batch everyday for pennies; I think it works better too!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 10:17:00 PM More reviews by shwankie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used several vitamin C serums over the years, and loved many of them. My skin responds incredibly well to vitamin C treatments overall, but it just got way too expensive. So, I was thrilled when I read this here, and gave it a try. I used distilled rose water, L-asorbic crystals from Vitamin Shoppe, and a vegetable glycerin. I make it at 10% strength, and store it in the refrigerator in a cobalt blue bottle, using a dropper to apply to skin. and started out using it every other day . I am now using it morning and night (morning and night on a clean face, underneath moisturizer), and in the two weeks I've been using it, I can already see a serious difference. And, apparently, so can others, as I've been asked several times if I've had "something done." I've also been carded several times (this could just be coincidence, I know). It didn't take 10 years off my face or anything, and I have to admit I am blessed with genetically very nice skin; but, it definitely boosted my glow, my fine lines on my forehead are diminishing, and things just look all around more firm and youthful. I've also started using it on my hands recently, and see improvements there, as well. It's not a miracle or anything, but the improvements are visible and significant. And given the ridiculously low cost and ease of DIYing it, I'm definitely going to continue with this!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by MissLivia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using for around a month now, at varying strengths. Purchased ascorbic acid powder from GOW, as well as their serum base (just water, preservative, and a starch to give thickness. I know there are varying debates on preservatives, but they use paraben free preservatives, and this saves me from having to make new batches every few days.) For approx. 10% serum, I'm using 1/4 teaspoon AA powder to 2.5 teaspoons of serum base.
The results? After a few experimental weeks with dubious results (which I don't really attribute to the AA serum, moreso to barraging my skin with too many products and using a lotion w. niacinamide in it...more on that in a bit), my skin has become much smoother, and the fine lines under my eyes are beginning to soften (so far no change in darkness of undereye circles...but i think that was a pipedream anyway). As I don't have acne prone skin, I can't really attest to the acne fighting powers, but the few blemishes I have gotten seem to be helped by it. I say go for it...it's cheap and easy to make, and from the positive feedback, seems to only do good things. for reference, i use this serum every other night with just my facial lotion on top (a no frills one, in order to not overload my skin). Once a week, i give my face a gentle scrub to get off any dead skin the AA serum has sloughed off.
Note on niacinamide: Do not use niacinamide and AA powder together....I'm no scientist, but from my research they sort of "fight" with each other and can cause bad reactions in the skin. both are good ingredients to use separately, but not together.
EDIT: it became too difficult to prevent the serum from oxidizing/measuring correct amounts, so i've decided to stop making it. im thinking of purchasing the CSS ferulic CE one...we shall see.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2011 6:10:00 PM More reviews by kspaffy

EASY CREAMY C BUTTER:

2 TBSP Cetapil Cream ( or simila brand)

4 TBS SPF ( I use Olay SPF 15 sensitive)

1/8 Tsp Vitamin E Oil 28,000 IUs

2 Evening Primrose Oil caps (break & squeaze into mixture)

BLEND WELL.

Then ...

Dissolve 3-4 Vit C 500mg pills in 1-2 TBSP hot, fresh brewed green tea.

Add to cream mixture and blend well. Store in cool dark place.

COOL ADD IN:

2 Dropper fulls of pure hyaluronic acid (Timeless Skin Care makes a good one).

Your skin will look AMAZING.

14 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/28/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by nalayu1317

After reading the reviews, I tried the vitamin c serum for almost two weeks. Whiteheads and acnes began popping up all over my face. I am sure it works for a lot of people (thus the glowing reviews), unfortunately it does not work for me. Still have to deal with the remaining acnes and the scars left from the use of the serum.

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No