Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara

2.7

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/23/2010 12:44:00 AM

I am only giving this a 1 star lippie because the advertised name and claim for fat lashes are.........
very very "MISLEADING"

Now, if this mascara was advertised correctly and I were rating this as a natural glossy looking mascara....then I would give it 5 star Lippies!
Yet, it is not correct! Therefore, I have to give this one a bad review!

The Dior Show looking brush, Cool Tube, and the awesome "Promising Name".......
were all very enticing.
So, I bought it.....and was very upset...to say the least!
(I should have listened to the reviews! I am just stubborn sometimes and need to find out on my own! Just like that bad boyfriend that everyone tells you to stay away from....but we don't and have to learn from our mistakes! Lol!)

I do not think that this mascara could make anyone's lashes look like a "Big Fatty"....and I have seen many Fatty's..........from back when....... Lol!!
Not even the lucky few that are blessed with a good amount of lashes.... could get a Big Fatty Look out of this formula!

This gave me ....NO VOLUME or LENGTHENING whatsoever!
No matter how many coats I put on! I Know....Right!

Although, it did claim it would give a glossy finish....
and Yep, it did do that.... at least Lol!

It is reminiscent of MAC's........." MASCARA X "
Though, at least MAC actually states that "X" will give you glossy natural looking lashes. And it actually gives more oomph! Lol!

So, if you want to spend a lot of money for NATURAL SHINY looking lashes.....then this is your huckleberry.

But, spending that much..... would be just so silly!
Since, there are many cheap drugstore mascaras out there that can give you that for way under $3.00!

So, NO BIG FATTY lashes here ladies!(but, the packaging was so cool looking....oh well can't judge a book by its cover! ;(

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of UD's eyeliner and eyeshadows, so I figured I'd give "Big Fatty" a go. However, this was a mascara I returned to Sephora. The big, fluffy brush and the name of the mascara is decieving. Even after apply a few coats, the mascara barely did anything for my lashes - except provide some extra length. Not the effect I wanted, as there was virtually zero volume added to my lashes. My $7 L'Oreal mascara from CVS worked better than this! Save your money, beauties.

on 8/15/2010 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I should have known not to listen to the SA with the PERFECT lashes. I could tell she was blessed naturally, and that any mascara would work for her. I am a long time fan of Urban Decay, and have tried many of their products with much success. Not with Big Fatty. Big Fatty was a Big Fatty Fail for me. Like a few other reviewers, it pretty much gave me a natural look, which for me means a no lash look. If you have light, sparse lashes, save your money.

on 8/13/2010 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I don't understand why this product has a 2.7 average rating! One of my favorite mascaras to date! I walked in Ulta and the attractive packaging caught my eye; it was like love at first sight. I've also seen Makeup Guru Lauren Luke use this product in some of her videos, and she loved it, so I decided to try it out myself.
First thing I like about this mascara is the stopper; no excess product what-so-ever on the wand. The brush also lives up to the products name: it's big, it's fat, and it's going to put my lashes to work. Application is smooth, buildable, it doesn't clump, gives my lashes length and volume. Lastly, Urban Decay is cruelty-free; they DO NOT test on animals!
And with the pros, there are the cons. The size of the brush can take some practice to perfect. It's prone to smear on your lids during application, especially if you have small eyes like mine. The price is kind of up there, around $21 at Ulta. The volume and length is nice, just nice. If you're looking for something dramatic, I wouldn't go for this mascara.

on 7/21/2010 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

This is also going back to the store... Another bad impulsive purchase that I was talked into. I have always wanted to try this mascara and I guess I am glad I did, but I learned the hard way that it's not worth it. I gave it a "2" because it isn't the worst mascara out there. But it is pretty bad and no way would I ever buy it again.

It doesn't lengthen or give volume as the name suggests. The formula is very hard to work with and thick and sticky (if that makes sense). It also doesn't last long at all! If you're looking for good volume, long thick lashes, and long-lasting formula, I suggest L'real Volumous which has been my go-to everyday mascara for years and years! I LOVE IT! I also use original DiorShow and Diorshow in the silver tube but not every day.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

this mascara is very disappointing. I usually always read or YouTube reviews before buying something, except for this mascara I stopped by sephora and just bought it. it is hard to work with and I curl my lashes before and after the mascara.. my lashes can stay curled even without mascara.. but not with this one.. they just weighted down and I waited a while and I tried to re curl them and it was a mess.. it takes forever to completely dry and when it does I swear it feels like u have on the cheapest mascara ever.. I am sticking to drugstore mascaras

on 6/18/2010 9:11:00 AM

I recieved a sample size of this product. My lashes are on the short side and I usually buy lengthening mascaras rather than volumizing ones... but Big Fatty really surprised me! It gave me both volume and length! The huge brush works surprsingly well but I don't really like the packaging, little too hippie-ish for me lol. Anyway I'm shocked to see this mascara has gotten so bad reviews. Like I said my lashes are short so I can only imagine how great results I could achieve with this if I had long lashes! I'm definitely gonna buy the full size

on 6/17/2010 1:42:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Rewriting this review completely, a month and a half later:

Big Fatty makes my lashes longer, which is nice, seeing as my own are short and thin, but it doesn't make them look much thicker, even after multiple coats. Staying power is questionable... I'll do my makeup in the mornings, and by the end of the day (i.e., 2 p.m., when I'm done with classes), I'll look in the mirror and see flecks of mascara all underneath my eyes. However, I do like the fact that Big Fatty doesn't smell nearly as bad as other mascaras, and that it doesn't make my lashes stiff. Overall, good lengthening mascara, but you'll want a separate one to thicken as well.

Tip: I've always been advised to apply mascara with a sort of wiggling motion, but have discovered that people with short and sparse lashes are better off just starting from the base of your lashes and applying in a smooth, upward stroke. My mascara doesn't clump nearly as much since I've started doing this. (I had a major DOH! moment when I found this out!)

on 6/13/2010 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

On the whole, i like this mascara!! a friend gave it to me for my birthday one year along with some other UD makeup. when i frst opened the bag the packaging caught me instatly the funky designs and bright yellow & pink colours are lets say very eyecatching..... it makes my lashes thick long & very volumised!!! extremely lack aswell. the only thing i will say is that my tube ran abit down my eyes and within 3 hours some of the product had ran. Also, the lid of the tube gets very dirty when you put it back in. i like this mascara although i use my trusty Revlon Fabulash to seperate the lashes after use, overall a good mascara!!

on 5/9/2010 1:15:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm one of the few who absolutely loves this mascara. I used to use CG Lash Blast but I'm trying to switch to cruelty-free makeup products so when I saw this in Sephora, I figured I might as well try it! It is a bit expensive but you get a lot of product. I don't mind paying a little extra for my own personal peace of mind, though. :B

I should start by saying that my eyelashes are already pretty long, I really just look for color + volume in a mascara. This gives me way more volume than Lash Blast and it makes my eyelashes so soft! I used to worry a lot about mascara drying out my lashes but with this, I think it's actually improving them a little bit. It stays well during the day (I wear contacts and my eyes water a lot, so this is saying something!) but easily rinses off with my soap and water. Not to mention the packaging is really cute~

A lot of people seem to hate the brush? I like it! I feel like it helps add volume to my eyelashes. My eyes are fairly large, though, and I can see how it would be frustrating to someone with smaller eyes or sparser lashes.

Top Rated Urban Decay Products