July 30, 2014 | 1892 users online

Lip Gloss - MAC - Lipglass in Oyster Girl

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2007 11:45:00 PM More reviews by darlingbabygirl

This is way too pale looking for me. It isn't very pigmented and is hard to go over your mouth and making the colors even. Very sticky and gooey. I don't like this very much.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2007 1:33:00 PM More reviews by babypink11

I absolutely love oyster girl. Its a great sheer opalescent pink. The color doesnt really show but it goes good with most eyeshadows and looks. Also goes good over most lipsticks. I love it!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/28/2007 4:00:00 AM More reviews by LizC21

I used to think this was pretty in the tube, but looked at the other day and thought it looked ugly haha. Pale, dirty pink-lavendar color with gold shimmer...looks so not attractive on me. Slightly better if I wear it over balm. Think I'll stick to Luminary Lustreglass.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2007 10:13:00 PM More reviews by californiasgrace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this was my first mac lipglass ever. i bought it...3 years ago? and i still to this day adore it. there's no growing out of a colour this brilliant. the soft pearl sheen in it is to die for, and the clean pink tone of the gloss itself is just too beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2007 11:00:00 PM More reviews by spaceagemouse

This is my first MAC purchase ever, and I'm very satisfied. So far I've been a drugstore brand kind of girl, but now I see how the counter brands go one step further! Texture-wise, I love the feel and lasting power--it doesn't feel sticky on my lips but still retains its shine. Visually, I was struck by the color after seeing laratron's review. Just gorgeous! Pale pale pink with pearly shimmer that shows up well even on my medium pigmented lips. I'm a NC35 and it doesn't wash me out. With natural makeup, it makes me look fresh, but I can't wait to try it with a smokey eye to tease out my inner vixen :) Even my boyfriend complimented me on my lipgloss when I wore it! A little goes a long way, and if you put on too much, your lips could look blimpish.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2007 12:56:00 AM More reviews by iChelle

I received a sample of this with a GWP before. I just tossed it aside and forgot about it until I ran into some reviews about it today. So I dug it out and used it. It's a really pretty color that for me looks best on its own and not layered over a lipstick. It works well for my makeup style since I do heavy eyes. It might be a bit too pale since I am medium tan but otherwise it's very nice. I'm still on the fence about buying it. We'll see what happens when I run out of the sample...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2007 1:55:00 PM More reviews by piratequeen

This gloss is fabulous fo toning down pigmented lips with a smokey eye. This is light pink with a touch of mauve. I prefer my "Black Tie" Glossimer for this kind of look, but Oyster Girl also works. Application is a little tricky and can be clumpy, but otherwise, a great product!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2007 10:22:00 PM More reviews by kat_25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i had my make-up done at MAC for a wedding. the make up artist played up my eyes and used this color and it was fabulous! it really works if you play up eye/checks since it's so light. i like it a lot and would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2007 9:21:00 PM More reviews by weneedaroom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oyster Girl is perfect in terms of color--a very light pink. I find it very useful when applied over matte nude lipsticks such as MAC Myth, it tones them down while still keeping the desired shade. The only gripe I have with this is that I find it too thick--it tends to clump up on my lips in certain areas and not even cover others after a minute or too. I just seem to have issues with getting a smooth consistency!

This lipglass IS useable, with careful retouching, but if I can find a lustreglass or similar with the same coloring and different consistency, I won't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2007 10:17:00 AM More reviews by laratron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Picture: Oyster Girl applied without lipliner. If the image isn't working, you can find it mirrored at http://mac.larahill.com/swatch/displayimage.php?pos=-295.

I think it's become fairly obvious that I love pale, pale, pale lip colours. I started off with MAC's Bombshell lipstick, and have slowly been working my way up the spectrum to the most bleached-out, milky pink lipsticks and glosses that I can get my hands on. Oyster Girl was a random impulse purchase a few months ago, I bought it solely on the recommendation of someone on Specktra.

Applied to my pale to medium-pigmented lips (depending on what time of the day you get me), it picks up that pinkness and turns into a true oyster pink, the subtle milky pink that you find in a freshwater oyster as shell blends into mother-of-pearl. The subtle white-gold shimmer is a discreet pearl rather than a glitter, and adds lustre and dimension without being metallic. From a distance the effect is a seamless plush look, not a glitterbomb.

MAC have tweaked and/or reformulated the lipglass formula, so my current tube of this is the new and improved lipglass - it still has a thicker 'slip' with a longish staying power, but it now also has that non-sticky 'thin' feeling that I associate with Lipgelees and similar lighter lipglosses.

The picture above is a good representation of how the lipglass looks from a normal, medium application - silky and glossy, not opaque but not transparent. I don't have any issues with it washing me out, rather I find that it plays up that whole PPP raven-haired-snow-princess vibe that I like to cultivate. I often wear this product alone, but it is also lovely to layer over lipsticks like Politely Pink or Lovedust, or to dab in the middle of my pout when sporting lipsticks like Russian Red, Girl About Town or the various Viva Glams.

I think Oyster Girl is one of those colours that you either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground with it. The milkiness I described with this lipglass makes it a prime candidate for washing people out, so I can suggest that this is one product you should really try before you buy. For darker complexions or those with tan/brown lips, this lipglass will probably lose the pink undertone and turn ashy or outright grey on you. YMMV.

Would I repurchase again? I've said yes for now, because whilst I really like the product, chances are good that I'll find another ultra pale lipgloss that goes that little bit further/higher/better. For now though, it's a staple that I happily carry in my make-up bag.

Ingredients: Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Tin Oxide, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Acrylates Copolymer, Vanillin, Isopropylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben. May contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Carmine (CI 75470), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red Lake 28 (45410), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005).

I am: PPP, MAC NW15/NW100, KA SSE SX 01, Prescriptives Real Camellia, black hair and blue eyes. continued >>

32 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No