September 30, 2014 | 1773 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 10:12:00 PM More reviews by OhRandi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am using this with my retinoid, Ziana. It seems every pore on my nose and most on my cheeks and everywhere else are clogged with hardened sebum. After spending thousands to clear my skin up and having nothing to show for it, I said enough. I looked for a natural method to rid my skin of the adult acne and clogged pores.

At first, nothing much happened. I mean my skin felt nice and it didn't break me out. But then. after a week of using this, one night I was massaging the oil on my face and it felt like tiny grains of sand were on my face. I looked at my hands and I kid you not, at least 30 sebum plugs were there, with even more coming out. I was amazed. It took a while to soften them I guess (the retinoid probably helped too) but NOTHING has ever been able to clean those out of my pores. Nothing. They've been clogged for years and I've finally found something that works.

It sounded absurd at first, washing my crazy angry, acne prone, scarred up oily skin with oil. But after researching, it makes sense. Since then, I've also switched to a cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo & conditioner and I've had excellent results.

My routine changes every night based on my skins needs. Because of the retinoid I use every 2 nights, my skin is dryer some days. I've had the best results:

On normal days: 20% castor oil, 20% grapeseed oil, and the rest jojoba.

On dry days: 20% grapeseed, the rest jojoba. Maybe a dash of avocado oil if I'm SUPER dry.

On oily days (rare): 40% castor oil, the rest jojoba.

On days I have pimples surface from retinoid use I add a few drops of tea tree oil. It seriously ZAPS zits, but can be extremely drying.

I apply the oil on my face and massage for 5 minutes, put a hot wet rag on my oil covered face until it starts to cool, then wipe and massage/rinse till my skin feels clean. Then splash with cold water to help close the pores. I wait 30 minutes then apply my retinoid OR moisturizer (never both). In the morning I just wash with water (or a gentle cleanser if I used a retinoid the night before to clean it off my skin). Wait 30 minutes and apply Skinceuticals Serum 20, wait another 30 then moisturize if peeling.

I've had wonderful results so far. I'm breaking out from the retinoid purging process but nothing out of the ordinary. (This is my 2nd go round with them so I knew what to expect)

I bought all the oils at Whole Foods, and even 3 or 4 oils is cheaper than buying an entire skin care arsenal.

It's worth a shot if you're like me and have got nothing to lose.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Graceel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have had oily/acne prone skin for years and have recently started researching holistic methods to reduce oil specifically.

This method seemed silly at first, but I was so fed up with oily skin I was willing to try anything before resorting to pills like Accutane, while decrease the body's production of sebum (oil), have scary side effects.

I use a mixture of castor oil and olive oil and within the first use I had less oil the next day.

For me that is big as I would usually use up to three oil blotting sheets a day- I would sometimes even use the first one only two hours after putting on my makeup in the morning.

I've been using this method for almost a month now, so I think I'm out of the woods of any side effects and breaking out. My skin seems less dry (I would have patches of oily and flaky) and some of my acne scars have lightened.

My OCM:
1. dip finger into olive oil and then dot on eyes to take off washable mascara (I don't have to buy makeup remover anymore either!)
2. drop or two of olive oil massaged onto entire face
3. drop or two of castor oil massaged onto entire face
4. place a hot damp wash cloth over oily face for a few seconds until cool.
5. wipe off
*note that by using this method I have eliminated more products: this removes eye makeup, concealers come off, and my face feels moisturized after the cleansing rather than tight (with soap cleansing my face was so stripped of natural oils that I had to immediately use a moisturizer afterwards)

I would recommend anyone with oily skin to give this method a shot, because if it works for your skin it will not only be healthy but will save you money! Castor oil was only $6 at drugstore and I already had kitchen olive oil.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Laiscg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I tried it yesterday, mixing about 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 jojoba oil, massaging for about 5 min and removing with a towel and hot water. My skin is very oily and acne prone, and as I was removing the oil, I felt an instant cystic pimple forming on my chin. I removed the oil the best I could, but still my skin was left feeling very greasy, ugh. I wish so much it had worked! =(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by lucilleholly

A few months ago, after many years of spending a lot of money and energy clearing my skin of acne, I finally had no pimples. Then I was hit with a lot of stressors and my face broke out like I was a middle schooler again. It was very frustrating. My usual routine of exfoliation and prescription topical medications wasn't working so I decided on the oil cleansing method.

OCM has completely transformed my face. First off, the blackheads I've had since I was 12 on my nose are gradually fading away to much relief. I still have some pimples on my chin because acne doesn't go away over night, but my face just GLOWS. My face has always been so dull, and dark looking. Also I am pretty pale. Right now we're in the dead of winter but I've got that summer glow going on without even having a tan. Also, somehow having a glow makes my face look thinner! I think it's because now I have natural highlights on my cheekbones my face just looks much more angular whereas before without makeup I looked a little swollen and round. Now that OCM has worked so well for me, I started other oils to apply afterwards like vitamin E for my acne scars.

So to sum up my experience, I would say i went into it for the purpose of clearing up my acne and can happily say that it did much more for me than that..

I use a mix of olive oil and jojoba oil and am thinking of adding some tea tree oil soon.

update:
For some reason this stopped workinga few months ago. I went overseas and my acne became muuuuuch worse. My usual makeup stopped working as well. I don't doubt the amazingness of ocm at all for acne, but wanted to write a note that it might not work 100% of the time. I had to stop applying any type of oil to my face and use a super mild baby soap. It god so bad that in desperation I used antibiotics and prescription gels which worked but left my face super scarred and dead. I then started using exfoliation and anti-scar serums which worked at first but started to clog my pores. At that point I decided I wanted to go back to my natural skin care routine especially now that I'm back at home. I am gradually incorporating oils back into my routine with coconut oil as a moisturizer. I can't find the time to do ocm anymore but I am thinking of starting again soon.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2012 1:01:00 PM More reviews by AbiWilks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I starting washing my face using this method a few days ago, and I'm seriously impressed with the results so far. I use a combination of jojoba and castor oils for the cleansing, and then apply a little bit of some combination of rosehip/jojoba/tea tree oil to moisturise further if I feel like I need it. My skin has been pretty gross recently, and I've seen massive improvement already. It is smooth, glowing, and any blemishes are getting zapped while they are only just developing. I think the tea tree is playing a pretty important role in blemish busting. I'm a little bit worried by things other reviews have said about their pores getting blocked after a while, so I'm going to buy some apple cider vinegar and make a natural toner to use after cleansing sometimes, probably mainly if I've been wearing a lot of makeup on my skin.

Edit: I got a few red inflamed spots after a while of doing this which I don't normally get, switched to a normal cleanser and it was much better. I'm not sure if I'm just not removing it properly or whatever but whatever I was doing wasn't working. I continued using the rosehip oil as a moisturiser until it ran out and it was fine, and I sometimes use the jojoba now. I don't think I'll be in a hurry to put castor oil anywhere near my face again though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by bigpore

I've been using the OCM for three weeks now. My oily but dehydrated, acne-prone skin is now less oily, and almost blemish and blackhead -free.
I use cold-pressed sweet almond oil only, even though I've read a lot of comments that castor oil is the most important part of OCM. It was not intentional, it's just impossible finding castor oil here in Singapore. But sweet almond oil has worked so well for me, plus I've noted bad reactions to the OCM almost always involves castor oil. (I add about 10 drops of clary sage eo and 10 drops of rosemary eo to 100ml of sweet almond oil, the eos help "balance" my skin.)
I massage about a tablespoonful of the oil into my dry, still made-up face for about 2-3 minutes. I use a muslin cloth soaked in water that just came off the boil, hold it up for excess water to drip out (this cools the cloth down a little) then rest it on my face for about 10 sec before wiping the oil off. I apply the cloth quite firmly, to get some exfoliating action in. I do this 3 times, followed by a cold water rinse. My face doesn't feel oily at all after this, just supple and satiny soft.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/12/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by myjoyfullife20

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't recommend this method for oily/acne prone skin. If you read the other MUA reviews, OCM has the most success for those with dry skin. Also if you do some research online (which I should have done beforehand), there are several articles and videos that don't recommend this method particularly for those with oily skin. Here are a few links:

When I first tried OCM, I used a blend of olive oil and lavender, and my skin was so soft and smooth. A few pimples would crop up on my chin and forehead, but would go away quickly. A few days into the routine, I added castor oil and this really got those plugs loose. But after about two weeks, my skin turned a complete 360 with painful pimples, whiteheads and red bumps, and the texture felt like sandpaper. This was the worst it had ever been! My face hurt so, so bad and I looked terrible.

I know some people will claim that what I was going through was "purging", but purging is not about breaking out in places you normally donít break out. I never broke out on my forehead, but while doing OCM, it erupted in pimples, and painful ones! Unfortunately my skin just got irritated from OCM. And yes, I did use the good, cold pressed, organic, 100% oils (no blends).

For those of us struggling with oily skin, acne, blackheads and enlarged pores, using an oil/oil based cleanser is like adding salt to a wound - it will only make it worse. This is how I look at it - I already have oily skin, then I decide to clean my dirty face with oils, massaging all that dirt and oil deeper into my already oil-filled pores, steam my face with warm water opening the pores even more, then wipe the oils off with water. Water does not dissolve oil. There could be some oil and dirt left on my face that will now clog up my pores - great.

I am not saying that using oil as a cleanser is not good for the skin - it just is not good for oily, acne prone skin. What my skin needed was a good cleanser to dissolve and control the oils on my face, not add to the oiliness. It has taken me almost two weeks to get my skin back to its pre-OCM state, and I am using a mild castille soap to cleanse, raw apple cider vinegar to tone, a salicyclic cream, and 1-2 drops of tamanu oil (yes oil) to moisturize and help with scarring.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/11/2012 11:19:00 PM More reviews by lukivo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried the ocm on two seperate occasions. Both times I used it it for over a month. At first I tried olive oil and my skin was glowing and beautiful! But gradually it began getting really flaky, yet oily at the same time! My forehead was completley covered in clogged pores (nasty whiteheads). So then about 6 months later I decided to give it a try again...this time with Jojoba oil. I had a more pleasant experience this time. My skin purged a bit at first, but then it was clear and glowing! I was recommending it to everyone! Then... about 6 weeks into it, my chin and forehead got extremely clogged, full of whiteheads. I still am battling with the damage it caused to my chin. I guess this just isn't for my skin:( So sad!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 2:14:00 PM More reviews by Filledelavanille

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Violet

I've just started doing this, so I'll update if anything changes, but so far I'm loving this.

In June, I got a really bad renal infection and had to go through three (!!) really heavy courses of antibiotics to get rid of it. Of course, this made my rather pretty skin (it was just dry, never had any serious problems) react by producing horrible cysts and zits. My GP decided this needed to be treated with a topical antibiotic: erythromycin.
This didn't make it go away, it made it worse, so I decided to get a scan of my skin at a skin therapist.
She told me it wasn't acne, it's just my skin going crazy over all the toxins and harsh chemicals it was exposed to. The scan showed that actually, my pores were quite clean and my skin was really dried out.

She told me about OCM, so I jumped on this train and decided to try it.
I use 90% sweet almond oil (high in unsaturated fatty acids, magnesium and vitamin E) and 10% castor oil with a few drops of lavender essential oil, because of its anti inflammatory properties and lovely, relaxing scent.
After a cleanse, I use a mild toner by Clarins, some vitamin E oil on dry spots and pure lavender on the inflamed areas.
My skin is already improving! It looks much more relaxed, less angry and the zits are healing much faster.

The therapist also advised me to use a white clay mask once a week after steaming, to get an even deeper cleanse. That feels great as well.

I would advise this method to anyone with similar problems.
But, I think it is also very important to 'know your skin' before you try this. Let a skin therapist check it out before you assume something about your skin, because using the wrong mixture of oils may be catastrophic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know if this has changed my life, but it has certainly changed my skin for the better. I've been doing OCM for over 2 years now & have noticed a substantial change in clogged pores, overall luminosity, less oil breakthrough during the day etc.

My general oils are castor, jojoba and tea tree which I modify depending on what my skin needs - more castor in the summertime, less in the fall & winter (drop the tea tree full stop). I may try to add a more moisturizing component this year as my skin is getting a bit flakey from retinol. At any rate, it gets everything off - waterproof SS, foundations, waterproof mascaras.... Its no wonder my skincare products work so much better now.

I make time a few times a week to spend at least 20 min (generally in front of TV) to really rub & massage my face so that EVERYTHING comes out. Then I use a very hot cloth to remove the oil, rinse with cool water & wash with whatever cleanser I have on hand.

I always notice the biggest change when I stop doing something - as happened earlier in the year when I was working from Italy. 2 weeks into cleaning with non-oil cleansers was enough to send me running to Sephora to buy their version of a cleansing oil. The change was immediate (and gratifying to feel all of those hard clogs coming out.) I now will not travel without an oil (unless its for an overnight trip).

I never had a purge or a break out from OCM, maybe I am just lucky or the quality of the oils suits my skin, I have no idea. But its definitely worth a try if you're considering it.