December 17, 2014 | 1798 users online

Cleansers - Eve Lom - Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2010 3:47:00 PM More reviews by ncw1625

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was recommended this cleanser as part of a 'natural' very thoroughly cleansing routine that would have nothing to irritate /aggravate my skin that was in a rather sorry state (lots of bumps on cheeks, blocked pores, sore acne). It was recommended to me by a very empathetic Space NK make-up artist. He didn't push rubbish onto me. The other assistant had applied liquid foundation to my BARE skin so that it was cakey and heavy. Her attitude seemed to be that it was my fault it wasn't working and my fault my skin was the way it was. I opted to wait for the experienced make-up artist to sort me out.
So, I started to use the Eve Lom cleanser. Very therapeutic. I really took my time with it. I applied in the proper way, with all the circular movements and light pressing for blood flow circulation. I took it off with the hot muslin cloths, then the final cold press. Loved this routine in the evenings. Very relaxing. This is why I have given the 2 lipstick rating. After a while the novelty wore off and it became a massive chore, especially as my skin was actually having cysts underneath. I have never before put cosmetics onto the back of my neck. But with this product I did because it was so balmy and one of the points directed to massage on was down from the ears to the collar bone in circular movements. I havenít used this product for months. I still have cysts yet to heal under the skin at the back of my neck. Thankfully they are not visible from the surface of the skin. Still, not good. Would never buy again. Extremely expensive for something that has detrimental effects to the skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2010 7:08:00 PM More reviews by sexysylvia1211

I think like many ladies here, i was hearing so much hype about this cleanser and I got it- I paid £28 for the smallest size tub and another £12 for the cloths (even though a cloth came free with the cleanser!) the SA still managed to get me to buy the additional cloths. Complete waste of money. This is just the same as chucking £40 in the rubbish bin outside my house. At first listening to the SA go on about this cleanser I thought this would be some miracle for my skin, I was quite happy with my dior cleanser...but it wasnt FOAMING so i decided to stray from a perfectably good cleanser!well i guess serves me right! I told the SA I wanted something that would remove all my make up properly. She said this was the best. However its just gross, disguisting. Smells awful and strong and I may as well be slathering vaseline on my skin and rubbing it in with the cloth. My skin after is oily and yucky, blemish-y and horrible. I tried this a few times just to give it a chance but i dreaded each chance so much, however i did make myself use it about 6 times, each time was worse than the previous. Horrible cheap product with good marketing and a stupid price tag. I would pay £100 for an amazing cleanser, but this one I wouldnt buy for a £1...It leaves my skin oily and yucky just like id put vaseline on it. And i always just cannot wait to wash my face properly with my beoved CD cleasner asap after this one!! Also who has the time or can be bothered with all this rubbing in and using the cloth everyday, not me!! i would rather have a great quick cleasner and spend the extra time on my make up:)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by qwendy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

One hears so much about this cleanser, I was certainly curious, and very surprised to see that it contains mostly Mineral Oil and Lanolin, both considered to be pretty bad for the skin. But I decided to get a sample and go through it if I could, to see what happened, having used the Arcona line for several years, my skin is much stronger overall, and I knew it could withstand most anything, plus all foaming cleansers (including Arcona) are way too strong for me, and I knew that this would be oily instead, which would be better for me anyway.

I mean we all know that Mineral Oil strips the natural oils from the skin, maybe that's what it's being used for here. And Lanolin, if one isn't terribly allergic to it, IS a great softener, alcohol is drying and also removes everything, maybe it is responsible for some of the built in toning effect, and Cocoa Butter is so close to the skins natural oil that it becomes part of you immediately. The essential oils must be doing something to balance the above ingredients, and I must say that my skin has been wonderfully soft after I've used it (twice so far).

I've already learned from the Arcona regime that in order to penetrate and balance dry skin, exfoliation is really the key thing, and the combination of the slippery (rather foul smelling and colored due to the natural Lanolin) with the nicely abrasive muslin cloth does the job.

I intend to go through the whole sample -- a little goes a long way, I probably have 10 uses in it -- and report back here if I must. In the meantime, I hope that there's a true method to the seeming madness of these wacky ingredients, and here's to great skin!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2010 7:26:00 PM More reviews by celiaj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Mmmm well, I began using this product and for the first three weeks my skin (fair, acne prone, v. sensitive) looked really good, it even began 'glowing' you might say!

However soon after, and whilst using this product morning and night, my face broke out with the worst case of acne I have ever known. It wasn't just along the t-zone and forehead area, it was down both cheeks, over and under the skin, down both sides of my neck- almost like an acne rash and painful to touch.

I can't be sure it was this cleanser as, to be fair, there were a number of other variables that could have contributed to the outbreak ( I had just travelled to Nigeria, eating different food, drinking different water, malaria pills, stress and a binge on dairy products) however I do think this product was a major factor as I have done all of the above before with no side effects. After stopping usage the acne died down, but to clear fully it took about six weeks. The product smells lovely, the muslin cloth is a great idea and the packaging is fine. The routine itself requires ten minutes twice a day to devote to massaging this cleanser in to your face - unless you are a lady of leisure then this is just not realistic. There are times when I am tired, my head aches and I need to get some sleep so my make up comes off with a baby wipe.

Friends of mine have used this product and got wonderful results, it's also written of very well in the media. However, for me, I think it was just too rich for my skin and at £40 for a small tub it was a very expensive mistake to make. Obviously I won't be buying this product again, or any other luxury product like it and instead have opted for the very non glamorous cleanser Cetaphil which is doing a very good job of getting my skin back on track.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by xmifaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this cleanser and I will repurchase. It is not a miracle and it has not dramatically improved my complextion or anything but it is very good as a make up remover and cream cleanser in one, with gentle exfoliating particles, and my face feels soft and clean afterwards. I usually use Shu Umeura oil cleanser and Pelactiv cream cleanser on days where I wear makeup and this product replaces the two products. I still use just my Pelactiv cream cleanser in the morning. This product also claims to remove all eye makeup but it will not remove the eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes so I still continue to use Clinique eye makeup remover before I use Eve Lom cleanser. Also there is nothing special about the Muslin cloths, just a thin cotton cloth which is used to exfoliate the face, I only use the Muslin cloth 2-3 times a week to remove the product, it's a bit harsh to use everyday, especially for dry skins I highly recommend a cheap microfibre cloth. I purchased one from the supermarket for just $2, it is so much softer and gentle on the face and you can still use with the cleanser to exfoliate. There is also nothing wrong with just washing the product off with water instead of wiping away. This product is slightly drying on my dry winter skin so I use it most evenings but not every evening. I do love the aromatic scent and the thick texture. This cleanser will not suit those with oily or acne prone skin, but is suitable for sensitive, dry, normal and combo skin types. Overall its a pretty good cleanser and worth a try with a sample or purchase the small 50ml tub to begin with.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Baileyboy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

FABULOUS cleanser if u can find the time to apply and use as per the instructions (with the muslin cloth). I have sensitive red skin which cannot tolerate most skincare or any sort of excessive handling and my skin loved this product. My skin was soooooo soft and smooth and dewy. Beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by demidocs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this for both myself and my teenage daughter. My skin runs normal/oily and her is the same, although she is now breaking out. We have both used the night time cleanser with the muslin cloth in the way it was directed - put cleanser on DRY skin, massage in with fingertips, then with wet muslin cloth, place cloth over entire face with warm water, rinse getting off all oily and dirt residue, rinse with cold water. I think it is key to make sure you get all the residue off or you may break out. But, I can honestly say that both of our faces have never looked clearer and felt smoother. I have gone to facialists, dermatoligists, etc. over the years and have always taken excellent care of my skin. This product has really helped us both get the kind of skin that gets compliments. So glad to have sampled (first) and then purchased this cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2010 9:22:00 AM More reviews by madnicole

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OMG, this cleanser if horrific! I got sucked into the hype and decided I had to try it. I have quite dry skin (in my late 30's), and sometimes get mild rosacea patches, and dry flakiness around my chin and nose. I do get occasional pimples, usually only hormonal and quite minimally. I knew this product would be quite heavy and 'oily' however given the dryness of my skin, I figured I was a good candidate.
I used this cleanser exactly as described (and I really liked the process of massage and removing with muslin cloth (although can't see how extremes of hot and cold water can be any good for the delicate skin of the face, since skin prefers tepid temperatures). After using for one week, I noticed increased breakouts, however as I still liked the feel of my skin after cleansing, I ignored them. After 2 weeks, I had 4 x HUGE cystic pimples, and what looked like a rash down both cheeks, but it was just pimples and absolutely amazing congestion.
I have reverted to my previous cleanser and after 2 weeks it is finally looking a little better (although I won't be going bare faced for a while!). I have spent 10 minutes a day over the last week, removing the accumulated blackheads (which have increased 10 tenfold since starting the Eve Lom cleanser).
Just before stopping use, I finally checked the ingredients (and will never leave it that long to look at ingredients again - I just trusted the opinion of the consultations at Mecca Cosmetica (which sell Eve Lom in Australia). It is just mineral oil and lanolin, with a very small smattering of a very essential oils as a token gesture. Mineral oil and lanolin are both terrible for the skin, and are both highly congesting and cheap 'filler' ingredients. I cannot believe that any reputable facialist could consider creating a product that is so badly made - there are no ingredients that are beneficial to the skin at all! And further more I cannot believe that people are still buying this - but I guess I got sucked in, so I am sure many others will be as well - hopefully a few will read this first!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by justinecapatel

To say my skin is schizophrenic is an understatement, flaky, dehydrated, oily, sensitive, acne AND rosacea prone. I was literally at the end of my tether with it. In the past antibiotic tablets had worked, but this time around nothing was working. I can't put anything strong on my skin or I wake up looking like the elephant woman!! Benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid are in most spot treatments so no joy there. Enter this cleanser. From day 2 I saw a massive improvement and 2 months later it's like I have a new face. Don't get me wrong I still get the odd spot, but these are nothing compared to the huge eruptions I used to get that stayed for (and I kid you not ) 3 months! I love the smell and the ruitual that goes along with it. I use the small amount of time it takes to go through the massage bit as a chance to unwind before bed. I only use it at night and a gentle wash off cleanser in the morning (Avene soap free). I know it's not cheap but a little goes a long way and it has changed my life...and my face!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2010 8:13:00 AM More reviews by Bonnerka

This cleanser is my overall HG, one of the products which really works and which made a huge difference to my congested complexion.I suffer from blocked pores and congested skin, white bumps visible under the surface. No amount of cleansing and exfoliating had me prevented from getting huge painful cystic spots in my T-zone around the time of my period. I had tried many cleansing products, cheap and not so cheap in the past, and while most of them did well in removing make up and dirt from my face, none of them managed to keep the pores from unblocking. Eve Lom cleanser basically eliminated my cystic acne and I can't praise it high enough. It's not cheap, but worth every penny, the 200ml tub @ £78 lasts me ca 7-8 months. I will never go back to anything else, I get congested only after couple of days of not using it. If I rate this cleanser 10/10, Shu Uemura's cleansing oil at 8/10, the next best thing would hardly scrape 4/10.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No