Eve Lom Cleanser

3.5

Mineral Oil, Peg-30 Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Aluminum Stearate, Cocoa Seed Butter, Peg-75 Lanolin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Clove Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Hops Cone Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, BHT, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

on 1/26/2011 11:30:00 AM

Just Ok!#
VVVV expensive £48 for small tub,

Pros
1. Soft smooth skin
2. White bumps under eye disappearing
3. Great exfoilant

Cons
1. Mineral Oil main ingredient so its soooo overpriced,
2. I have some spots!
3. Im gonna try the cheaper alternative Liz Earle £13

on 12/11/2010 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Although I have fallen slightly out of love with this product, due to its inclusion of parabens, it is still a classically brilliant cleanser, which is very moisturising and smells heavenly.

I have been using this cleanser on and off for the last 10 years, and it is simply outstanding, even if you canít be bothered to do that tiresome and time-consuming 7-step skin pinching thing every night.

The main reasons I am not using this product at the moment are:

1. I currently prefer to use a cleansing oil (Shu Uemura) to remove makeup, followed by a cleansing face wash.

2. There are now a lot of copycat products on the market that do the same job, just as well, but are better value for money - particularly Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, which also contains more natural products.

3. When I first started using Eve Lom, several years ago, she passionately expounded the theory that women should use as few products as possible, and that it is unnecessary to use a separate eye cream or night cream, etc. She has since brought out several more products, including night creams, eye serums, and even another cleanser for morning use. I feel that she has sold out, and that has put me off the brand.

Furthermore, the new cleanser is being promoted as paraben-free, which makes me feel reluctant to use the original cleanser, as it does contain parabens; it is as though she is admitting the weakness of the original product, so why should I buy it?!

on 11/21/2010 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was recommended this cleanser as part of a 'natural' very thoroughly cleansing routine that would have nothing to irritate /aggravate my skin that was in a rather sorry state (lots of bumps on cheeks, blocked pores, sore acne). It was recommended to me by a very empathetic Space NK make-up artist. He didn't push rubbish onto me. The other assistant had applied liquid foundation to my BARE skin so that it was cakey and heavy. Her attitude seemed to be that it was my fault it wasn't working and my fault my skin was the way it was. I opted to wait for the experienced make-up artist to sort me out.
So, I started to use the Eve Lom cleanser. Very therapeutic. I really took my time with it. I applied in the proper way, with all the circular movements and light pressing for blood flow circulation. I took it off with the hot muslin cloths, then the final cold press. Loved this routine in the evenings. Very relaxing. This is why I have given the 2 lipstick rating. After a while the novelty wore off and it became a massive chore, especially as my skin was actually having cysts underneath. I have never before put cosmetics onto the back of my neck. But with this product I did because it was so balmy and one of the points directed to massage on was down from the ears to the collar bone in circular movements. I havenít used this product for months. I still have cysts yet to heal under the skin at the back of my neck. Thankfully they are not visible from the surface of the skin. Still, not good. Would never buy again. Extremely expensive for something that has detrimental effects to the skin.

I think like many ladies here, i was hearing so much hype about this cleanser and I got it- I paid £28 for the smallest size tub and another £12 for the cloths (even though a cloth came free with the cleanser!) the SA still managed to get me to buy the additional cloths. Complete waste of money. This is just the same as chucking £40 in the rubbish bin outside my house. At first listening to the SA go on about this cleanser I thought this would be some miracle for my skin, I was quite happy with my dior cleanser...but it wasnt FOAMING so i decided to stray from a perfectably good cleanser!well i guess serves me right! I told the SA I wanted something that would remove all my make up properly. She said this was the best. However its just gross, disguisting. Smells awful and strong and I may as well be slathering vaseline on my skin and rubbing it in with the cloth. My skin after is oily and yucky, blemish-y and horrible. I tried this a few times just to give it a chance but i dreaded each chance so much, however i did make myself use it about 6 times, each time was worse than the previous. Horrible cheap product with good marketing and a stupid price tag. I would pay £100 for an amazing cleanser, but this one I wouldnt buy for a £1...It leaves my skin oily and yucky just like id put vaseline on it. And i always just cannot wait to wash my face properly with my beoved CD cleasner asap after this one!! Also who has the time or can be bothered with all this rubbing in and using the cloth everyday, not me!! i would rather have a great quick cleasner and spend the extra time on my make up:)

on 11/8/2010 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

One hears so much about this cleanser, I was certainly curious, and very surprised to see that it contains mostly Mineral Oil and Lanolin, both considered to be pretty bad for the skin. But I decided to get a sample and go through it if I could, to see what happened, having used the Arcona line for several years, my skin is much stronger overall, and I knew it could withstand most anything, plus all foaming cleansers (including Arcona) are way too strong for me, and I knew that this would be oily instead, which would be better for me anyway.

I mean we all know that Mineral Oil strips the natural oils from the skin, maybe that's what it's being used for here. And Lanolin, if one isn't terribly allergic to it, IS a great softener, alcohol is drying and also removes everything, maybe it is responsible for some of the built in toning effect, and Cocoa Butter is so close to the skins natural oil that it becomes part of you immediately. The essential oils must be doing something to balance the above ingredients, and I must say that my skin has been wonderfully soft after I've used it (twice so far).

I've already learned from the Arcona regime that in order to penetrate and balance dry skin, exfoliation is really the key thing, and the combination of the slippery (rather foul smelling and colored due to the natural Lanolin) with the nicely abrasive muslin cloth does the job.

I intend to go through the whole sample -- a little goes a long way, I probably have 10 uses in it -- and report back here if I must. In the meantime, I hope that there's a true method to the seeming madness of these wacky ingredients, and here's to great skin!

on 10/16/2010 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Mmmm well, I began using this product and for the first three weeks my skin (fair, acne prone, v. sensitive) looked really good, it even began 'glowing' you might say!

However soon after, and whilst using this product morning and night, my face broke out with the worst case of acne I have ever known. It wasn't just along the t-zone and forehead area, it was down both cheeks, over and under the skin, down both sides of my neck- almost like an acne rash and painful to touch.

I can't be sure it was this cleanser as, to be fair, there were a number of other variables that could have contributed to the outbreak ( I had just travelled to Nigeria, eating different food, drinking different water, malaria pills, stress and a binge on dairy products) however I do think this product was a major factor as I have done all of the above before with no side effects. After stopping usage the acne died down, but to clear fully it took about six weeks. The product smells lovely, the muslin cloth is a great idea and the packaging is fine. The routine itself requires ten minutes twice a day to devote to massaging this cleanser in to your face - unless you are a lady of leisure then this is just not realistic. There are times when I am tired, my head aches and I need to get some sleep so my make up comes off with a baby wipe.

Friends of mine have used this product and got wonderful results, it's also written of very well in the media. However, for me, I think it was just too rich for my skin and at £40 for a small tub it was a very expensive mistake to make. Obviously I won't be buying this product again, or any other luxury product like it and instead have opted for the very non glamorous cleanser Cetaphil which is doing a very good job of getting my skin back on track.

on 9/19/2010 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this cleanser and I will repurchase. It is not a miracle and it has not dramatically improved my complextion or anything but it is very good as a make up remover and cream cleanser in one, with gentle exfoliating particles, and my face feels soft and clean afterwards. I usually use Shu Umeura oil cleanser and Pelactiv cream cleanser on days where I wear makeup and this product replaces the two products. I still use just my Pelactiv cream cleanser in the morning. This product also claims to remove all eye makeup but it will not remove the eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes so I still continue to use Clinique eye makeup remover before I use Eve Lom cleanser. Also there is nothing special about the Muslin cloths, just a thin cotton cloth which is used to exfoliate the face, I only use the Muslin cloth 2-3 times a week to remove the product, it's a bit harsh to use everyday, especially for dry skins I highly recommend a cheap microfibre cloth. I purchased one from the supermarket for just $2, it is so much softer and gentle on the face and you can still use with the cleanser to exfoliate. There is also nothing wrong with just washing the product off with water instead of wiping away. This product is slightly drying on my dry winter skin so I use it most evenings but not every evening. I do love the aromatic scent and the thick texture. This cleanser will not suit those with oily or acne prone skin, but is suitable for sensitive, dry, normal and combo skin types. Overall its a pretty good cleanser and worth a try with a sample or purchase the small 50ml tub to begin with.

on 9/11/2010 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

FABULOUS cleanser if u can find the time to apply and use as per the instructions (with the muslin cloth). I have sensitive red skin which cannot tolerate most skincare or any sort of excessive handling and my skin loved this product. My skin was soooooo soft and smooth and dewy. Beautiful.

on 8/31/2010 12:53:00 AM

I bought this for both myself and my teenage daughter. My skin runs normal/oily and her is the same, although she is now breaking out. We have both used the night time cleanser with the muslin cloth in the way it was directed - put cleanser on DRY skin, massage in with fingertips, then with wet muslin cloth, place cloth over entire face with warm water, rinse getting off all oily and dirt residue, rinse with cold water. I think it is key to make sure you get all the residue off or you may break out. But, I can honestly say that both of our faces have never looked clearer and felt smoother. I have gone to facialists, dermatoligists, etc. over the years and have always taken excellent care of my skin. This product has really helped us both get the kind of skin that gets compliments. So glad to have sampled (first) and then purchased this cleanser.

on 8/26/2010 9:22:00 AM

OMG, this cleanser if horrific! I got sucked into the hype and decided I had to try it. I have quite dry skin (in my late 30's), and sometimes get mild rosacea patches, and dry flakiness around my chin and nose. I do get occasional pimples, usually only hormonal and quite minimally. I knew this product would be quite heavy and 'oily' however given the dryness of my skin, I figured I was a good candidate.
I used this cleanser exactly as described (and I really liked the process of massage and removing with muslin cloth (although can't see how extremes of hot and cold water can be any good for the delicate skin of the face, since skin prefers tepid temperatures). After using for one week, I noticed increased breakouts, however as I still liked the feel of my skin after cleansing, I ignored them. After 2 weeks, I had 4 x HUGE cystic pimples, and what looked like a rash down both cheeks, but it was just pimples and absolutely amazing congestion.
I have reverted to my previous cleanser and after 2 weeks it is finally looking a little better (although I won't be going bare faced for a while!). I have spent 10 minutes a day over the last week, removing the accumulated blackheads (which have increased 10 tenfold since starting the Eve Lom cleanser).
Just before stopping use, I finally checked the ingredients (and will never leave it that long to look at ingredients again - I just trusted the opinion of the consultations at Mecca Cosmetica (which sell Eve Lom in Australia). It is just mineral oil and lanolin, with a very small smattering of a very essential oils as a token gesture. Mineral oil and lanolin are both terrible for the skin, and are both highly congesting and cheap 'filler' ingredients. I cannot believe that any reputable facialist could consider creating a product that is so badly made - there are no ingredients that are beneficial to the skin at all! And further more I cannot believe that people are still buying this - but I guess I got sucked in, so I am sure many others will be as well - hopefully a few will read this first!