August 20, 2014 | 2027 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by kiltedkate30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nothing ever breaks me out but sadly this one did. It took me ages to work out what was going on but the minute I stopped using it all skin problems stopped. I guess it just didn't agree with me and was too clogging. Also, the packaging lends itself to contamination and general greasiness.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

I've been a die-hard cold cream user for some time but going on retin-a has made my skin intolerant of all the wiping that involves. I still needed something oily to remove my sunscreen every day, though, and with all the great reviews it seemed like this would fit the bill.

I used up a sample before I sprung for the full jar. The price made me cringe, but since it would be the only cleanser I was using, I didn't actually think it was too bad -- it seemed like a jar would last a long time and be more economical than the initial price would suggest. Obviously, oily cleansers don't scare me, so I liked the texture; and it removed my makeup well. I thought I was in love.

Maybe I should have used more samples, though, because about a week after I bought the jar I realized the balm was causing the dry, flaky and increasingly sensitive patches on my cheeks. :( I am honestly sad that it didn't work because I enjoyed using it. Going to return this, and I am experimenting with DIY rinsable/emulsed oils with some success.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 9:57:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I guess I am one of the few people who dont like this product! The texture is similar to vaseline, and you massage it in to dry skin to remove your makeup, add a little bit of water and then rinse. It removes all makeup and sunscreen really well, and rinses clean, hence 2 lippies. However, on my sensitive skin I found that this product made it irritated and red, and also my skin felt very tight/dry afterwards. Not for me I am afraid!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So I've been on a makeup remover binge, having tried all sorts of products, from basic cleansers to oils to wipes to now this, a balm.

The whole idea is foreign to me, a balm as a facial cleanser, but OMG do I love this stuff. You don't need a lot of product, as it will melt and spread evenly over your face as you rub it in. Eye makeup comes off easily (including tenacious MUFE aqua liners), along with everything else: foundation, sunblock, brow gel, the works. I rinse with water afterwards.

The most surprising part (to me, anyway)? My face is clean when I rinse this stuff off. I honestly don't need to cleanse any further afterward. Even better: my face isn't left stripped and dehydrated. ZOMG WIN!

I don't normally like jar packaging (I prefer pumps -- more precise) but since the magic is the balm itself, it's a trade-off I can happily live with.

In short, this is a life-changing product for me -- HG x bajllion. =D

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Tpot

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this!!! Cleans so well, everything comes off, even mineral sunblocks applied thickly. I like that it's a solid balm that melts into oil & it rinses off clean so easily with only a very slight after feel, which doesn't bother me as that helps to not dry out my skin. This cleansing balm is also easy to emulsify with water because it doesn't feel 'heavy', unlike dermalogica's Precleanse & Shu Umera's cleansing oils. Much, much better than Precleanse, which leaves me with an oily-ish film after rinsing with water. No allergy reaction & fragrance free. & so convenient to travel with. Highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 12:44:00 PM More reviews by Mikeswife

This is a fantastic cleanser, particularly for people with dry skin.

Price: At almost $30, this stuff is certainly not inexpensive, particularly when I'd been using Pond's cold cream for years at $5 a jar. However, I grew disenchanted with the idea of having to use a towel / washcloth to remove my cleanser and so began the hunt for something that was water soluble, but wouldn't make my already-dry skin feel tight, dry or stripped of moisture.

Packaging: I feel there is a large amount of product in the package; I've been using it daily for almost 2 months and still have more than half the jar left.

Product: I did extensive research on cleansing oils, and was thisclose to buying one after trying samples from BB and DHC. (Note: I liked both of those, but can't truly say that I LOVED either). A giant detriment to oil though, was the travel factor--which I did over Christmas--a complete and utter disaster, plastic bags notwithstanding. I love that TTDO applies to dry skin, rinses cleanly and completely with nothing more than water, removes all of my makeup (including on my eyes; I wear liner, mascara, and sometimes shadow and brow pencil) has zero smell or irritants, and leaves my skin feeling soft and ready for my nighttime routine. Once I counted all of the benefits TTDO held--travel ease included--I realized I didn't need to keep looking for an oil--I'd found my HG cleanser.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by funnyblossom

Thank you Makeupalley reviewers! What a find! The balm feels like a lemon sorbet as you scoop it out of the jar (a pea is enough for my face.. a tiny drop more if I am wearing lots of mascara), then as you massage it in it liquifies.. and takes away all the grime and products..it feels amazing. If wiped with a tissue, it leaves no residue. I still splash water of course and work in tiny bit of liquid soap just to convince myself that my face is really clean. Awesome!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by dk34

Removes all the makeup without leaving the skin tight or dry, but the packaging is a bit unsanitary since you have to dip your finger into it. Also hard to estimate how much product is needed per use, as opposed to the cleasing oil which comes with a pump.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 2:39:00 AM More reviews by kinkat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do the following: -

- take a small swab of Take The Day Off balm, rub it in my palms and gentlely smear it all over my face
- let the balm sink in my face for about a min or two
- dab off some of the balm with a tissue
- use luke warm water, work a bit of Rinse-off foaming cleanser onto my palm into a lather and massage over my face and be very careful around the eye area.

This procedure has successfully helped me take of all the makeup I use and own including water proof products.

Some other cleansers can't seem to remove the balm residue. With this product my face feels clean.

I do not think it would remove makeup in an immediate step but then again, I'm not keen on scrubbing my face very hard. I rather spend a few more minutes to remove the makeup delicately. The balm seems to do a great job with just melting off the makeup. Hope this insight works for you too!

Although I don't like the packaging I don't really think there is another way to hold it. Also it is a balm so you will not risk spillage like other liquid makeup removers!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Noddywoddydoodaa

I love this so flippin much! I have very acne prone, sensitive skin that breaks out over everything...but not this! It is a hard, slightly Vaseline like feel in the tub but you just scoop out the amount you need and start rubbing! Some people may find the fact that you have to scoop out the product a little unsanitary. I myself, do not care. I find it so much easier than pumping out oil onto my hand as i tend to spill that before it gets to my face.

This glides onto your skin and melts as you rub while melting make up at the same time. I use it more or less every single day and it works fine with heavy, full face make up as it does with lighter make up. Waterproof mascara is not a problem either (just may take a little longer to break up the mascara) and my lashes are not pulled, tugged or harassed in any way! In fact, ever since i started to use it my lashes are just so silky soft!

Hasn't broke me out or aggravated my skin and i find it perfect. Its lovely, a little pricey but so worth the price. Total HG and im so glad ive found the perfect MU remover! Im on my third tub! Go buy it, you wont regret it!