April 19, 2014 | 1674 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by Katie411

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

A great cleansing oil that emulsifies with water and rinses away nicely. I use Avene Cleanance Gel afterwards as I'm oily, acne proned but my skin doesn't feel greasy after using just this balm.
I've started using Revlon Colorstay and this removes it really well. I was worried about the price and quantity, but I have to agree with other reviewers that it does seem to last a long time. I've used it many, many times and the jar has hardly got a dent in it. I wish was cheaper, but at the sametime I will keep using this for now, as it works and doesn't give me breakouts. It's also easier for me to get than a Japanese oil online etc. I can get this easily in the UK.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 9:59:00 AM More reviews by zannie

I do not know how people operate without this. I love the stuff and while it is expensive in terms of initial outlay, it lasts forever. I don't think I buy it more than once a year. Only gripe is the packaging - because it is quite oily, the blurb on the outside rubs off.

When I use it, I use it before cleanser, but that is because I have oily skin so am paranoid about breakouts. I have never used it without cleanser as well.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by amyfarrahfowler

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In a word... AMAZEBALLS. I don't know why I waited so long to try this because it's changed my (skincare) life. I have used cleansing oils for several years (Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Boscia, DHC, etc) but never liked any of them as much as TTDO Balm... and ya know why? It's because with TTDO Balm I do NOT have to use a cleanser afterward. It's fragrance free and removes all of my makeup just like an oil BUT it rinses super cleanly and leaves my face feeling balanced and happy. REN has a product that is similar and works just as well however it smells like roses (which I like, though some people don't) and is MUCH more expensive per ounce. I highly recommend this and will repurchase.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is such a great product. It's a fragrance-free balm that liquifies into an oil upon skin contact and rinses clean away. A second cleansing isn't necessary. Just tone and moisturize and you're good to go. This is a great product if you're wearing sunscreen or a full face of makeup. I can also see it as more of a cold cream style cleanser for those with very dry or irritated skin. A really unique product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2012 9:33:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am impressed but I do find it drying. I like that it seems to take off 75% of my eye makeup (and I wear waterproof mascara) and all of my face makeup, but I've noticed that I have some flakes on my nose and around my eyebrows that I didn't have before I started to use this remover. Most times I do not follow up with another cleanser after using this because it appears to leave my skin a little dry already. I've been using it a week now and it doesn't appear to cause any breakouts or other problems. My face feels very clean after using this.

EDIT: I used up the entire tub but I then switched to Clarins Pure Melt because it is much more moisturizing. This Clinique product is very effective but it caused flaky skin with daily use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Update April 2013: Just a quick edit on how I use this now. I take some on my finger, rub over the eye area until the mascara feels dissolved, then get my fingers wet and massage that into the eye area to help emulsify the product more. Then I blot the product and makeup off with a wet cloth. Wiping it off was too irritating and drying, and rinsing it off was messy and sometimes drying as well. This method works very well, I just make sure to press the towel over my skin a few times and it picks up all product.

Claims - True or False?
1) Lightweight: True
2) Quickly dissolves makeup: True
3) Transforms from balm to oil upon application: True
4) Rinses off completely: Mostly true
5) Non-greasy: True
6) Non-drying: Mostly true

Packaging:
The balm comes in a purple-tinted glass jar/tub with a metallic plastic screw-on lid. Top and bottom are completely flat which makes for easy storage. The lid comes off and goes back on with ease. Ingredients are placed on the bottom, and instructions/use are printed on the side of the tub; both are very legible. Did not come with extra unnecessary packaging. Based on its formulation a tub design is really the most ideal for the product. Q-tips or spatulas can be used in lieu of clean fingers if hygiene is of that big a concern to you.

Formula:
A white and fragrance-free, thick balm. It feels quite silky and without any tackiness or heaviness. It's not so hard as to make it difficult to take what amount you need. When massaged into skin it becomes a thinner, oilier substance that rinses off fairly well with just water. When wetting the balm over the skin and massaging it becomes more of a milky substance.

Performance:
I do not wear facial makeup and only use this for eye makeup removal, so I cannot attest to its abilities in removal of those forms of cosmetics. However for the eye area it really is a fantastic remover. I had previously tried the bi-phase version of the same line and while it also removed makeup well it was irritating, drying, and the packaging posed some issues for me. This balm removes makeup very quickly and without any additional irritation that a cotton round can cause for more sensitive eyes/skin. It is designed to rinse off completely in water, but I'm not sure if it does. After rinsing I don't feel like I get any residue transfer onto my fingers so it might just be that the skin is far more moist after use as opposed to actual residue. Either way it doesn't concern me enough to deter its use. The only difficulty I had with this remover was when removing waterproof mascara. I normally don't use waterproof but had been testing a new mascara out and while the balm removed it it definitely took more time and massaging, and I'd sometimes be required to use the balm a 2nd time after rinsing. So keep in mind that with waterproof mascara you may need to either double cleanse or simply use a larger quantity of remover. A double cleanse usually does dry out the area a bit, and removing it with a cotton round seems to also lead to dryness; it is best removed by simply rinsing for me. Otherwise it really does remove my makeup entirely with absolutely no residual makeup showing up in the morning. To use I take a small amount onto my finger, massage it right onto my eye area for a while until the makeup seems to be entirely dissolved, and then wipe off with a wet cotton pad. You can proceed to massaging the skin with wet fingers before rinsing but for me this seems to be more likely to dry my skin out. I have also used it for clean up when applying makeup by swiping a q-tip over the top, wiping onto the area, and then wiping with a wet q-tip. As far as breakouts are concerned, I'm not yet sure if it bothers my skin or not. I am very careful to not get it too far away from the eye area but so far my undereye area is still looking good.

Bang for your Buck:
The tub cost $34CAD for 3.8oz. For only eye makeup removal I'd assume that it will last at least 6 months but likely longer as I do not use that much of the product nor do I wear makeup every day. for much heavier makeup it may be used up faster - I'd recommend using as little as possible first and then picking up more product as needed as opposed to starting off with a large glob in order to preserve the product.

Final Consensus:
This really is a great remover, although very sensitive skins and those prone to eczema or acne should use the product with caution. I find it to be more convenient than my previous bi-phase removers and it removes makeup both better and with what seems like less product. I'd definitely recommend this to those seeking a makeup remover, be it for face or just eyes.
* Overall Rating: 4.5/5
* Price: 3/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: Yes.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by cherryjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I will never stray from this product again! It's by far the best makeup remover for me. It's a one-step process. I don't have to use wipes prior to remover - this gets it ALL off.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by daisy7113

This is a great product for removing makeup. I have oily skin and have no problems with this causing breakouts, etc. It glides on very nicely and risnes off nicely. I start with this and then follow with my Acnce Solutions 3 steps.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by Lalatrue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am using this balm for couple of years now and can't not find any better substitute. I hope that they won't discontinue this great product. I apply it every evening on my entire face. On my eyes i first apply a bit of water before the balm as it helps to dissolve my mascara faster. I massage it for 20 seconds all ove rmy face and rinse off with water and then remove all residues with a cleansing gel. I don't know how I would remove all the makeup layers without this product. I don't like lotions because you can't apply them with your fingers right to your skin. I love this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by EIGNA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this makeup remover. I was looking for a replacement for my MAC cleanse off oil and needed something to remove tenacious makeup without irritating fragrance or that would leave a greasy film after being rinsed off. This one rinses clean and doesn't irritate. I can use it around my eyes unlike the MAC oil which would often leave my vision cloudy. It thoroughly removes my makeup with easy, unlike makeup wipes that irritate with multiple swipes. Not the biggest fan of the open jar packaging but I'm sure it's too thick to be packaged otherwise. Price is comparable to the MAC, so I'm only loosing out on extra back2mac. I will definately rebuy though I am tempted to try out the Take the day off cleansing lotion.