October 24, 2014 | 1172 users online

Scrubs - Sugar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by kaleidoscopic

Makes my skin feel like a baby's bottom. Most people have sugar in their house, and it is very easy to find. :P It also melts off easily with warm water so that's a plus too !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2009 6:54:00 PM More reviews by pupster

I have used sugar with olive oil for years now on my hands. I then follow up with lotion. This is a much cheaper alternative than other "exfoliating" products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by DeadNinjaPixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this. I bought plain regular sugar and use it once a week. It makes my skin super soft and feels great. I use my yogurt mask right after and my skin feels AMAZING. The way that I use it is by mixing it with baby oil and pat it on my face. Then I wet my finger tips and gently scrub it away. This is the third exfolitating tecnique I've tried and it works the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2009 4:00:00 AM More reviews by steffels

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

omg. This stuff makes my skin so soft! I mix half a cup of plain white sugar, a squirt of honey and enough EVOO until it makes a crumbly paste. I massage it over my body in the shower and when I get out my skin feels sooo good. And if i'm scrubbing before going out, i'll spray some of the perfume i'll be wearing in the mixture which helps keep the scent going for the night to come. *sigh* love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2009 3:07:00 AM More reviews by sarahlen

This is amazing! I am a prescription retinol user and retin-a has practially cured my mild acne but i allways felt like its a trade off because my skin allways seems to be peeling off, like litterally if i rub my face lightly with my fingers skin balls off. So to get out of this damned if you do and damned if you don't place, I tried decreasing my retinol usage, this helped with peeling but not as much as a would have liked and I broke out more. I tired many moisturizers to take care of the peeling, they ethier didnt take care of it that well or if they did they also broke me out. so it would seem that I'm doomed to have broken out skin or constantly peeling skin. I finally figured out i need an exfoliant to take care of the peeling because any moisturizer heavy enough that to take care of it would lead to massive breakouts. Then i figured out that this couldnt be a chemical exfoliater aha/bha would deactivate the retinol and possibly irrate my skin causing dryness and perhaphs further peeling. so I needed a manual exfoliater with no actives. I tried so many and they were all loaded with clogging and irritating ingridents not to mention unnecessary dyes, preservatives and fragrance and most of them eneded up making the problem worse. I even tried wash cloths and microfiber cloths they were a pain to use and required a lot of effort for a little exfoliation. then out of desperation one night I tired this. finally something to take care of the almost dooming effects of retin-a!
BL : natural and cheap is great but I am not the type to sacrafice quality over price, or effectivness over all natural. If a tube of sugar was 30$ and was the most manufactured processed , preservative filled product I would still use and love it, all because it is simply the best exfoliater I have used. My skin hasn't felt this soft since I was fourteen

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2009 9:56:00 PM More reviews by allieswasteland

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I recently started to use sugar as an exfoliant when my friend recommended that I try it. What I do is damped my face with a hot washcloth, dip my wet fingers into a little dish of sugar and then rub in circles on my face for about 30 seconds. Then I rinse it off with a hot washcloth and apply moisturizer. My skin is amazing! It's never felt so smooth after any other exfoliator! I recently had an allergic reaction that caused a lot of skin on my face to peel and this was a miracle for me because I didn't have to worry about using it too often or it being too harsh. I recommend that everyone try this, you'll be hooked.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 10:40:00 PM More reviews by eastwo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DITCH ST. IVES FOR THIS STUFF

I loved St. Ives Apricot Scrub forever because it could scrub away every last dead skin cell. But recently it has been irritating my skin and giving it bumps on my cheeks and around my mouth. Went to MUA for an alternative and just tried sugar. Amazing. I mixed it with lather from a White Dove Beauty Bar and used it all over my face and body. Sloughs off everything, better than St. Ives, without scratching the skin or just generally being too harsh. ALSO unlike St. Ives it isn't death when you get some in your eyes (I literally had to go to urgent care once after getting a couple grains of it in my eye), it's water soluble so if you do it will be gone in a matter of seconds. I'd say just mix it with whatever soap or cleanser you already use. I personally don't like the feel of olive oil left on my skin, so I mixed it with the soap and it really wasn't too drying. My skin looks and feels amazing and my face has a glow that I have never ever seen it have before. Regardless of price, any other scrub is inferior so don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2009 1:06:00 AM More reviews by wildlifefan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my first review and I have to say I can't LIVE WITHOUT this site! As I'm almost 40 (I mean 21), I'm very conscious of taking care of my skin and have literally spent thousands on trying to find the best line, from Darphin, Payot, Clarins etc etc.
Well...after using all the most expensive brands of face scrub, I just can't believe that regular old brown sugar, works better than ANY face scrub I have ever used!!
I'm not game enough to try larger, more granulated sugars, as this is my HG. It is so gentle on my face and it feels sooo soft afterwards! And all for a couple of dollars..unbelievable!!!

Do yourself a favour and give it a try..it may not work for everyone, but I absolutely love it. Sorry for the expensive cosmetic companies (not really), as I'm now dedicated to trying home-remedies instead.

My next post will be on the home-made Vit C mask, Vaseline as a makeup remover and Applecidervinegar as a toner.
Thank you to all those awesome women on MA that have helped me discover these great alternatives and saved me so much $$$.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 9:34:00 AM More reviews by stargazer_lily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin type: combination, acne-prone, mild rosacea, SD, can be sensitive. My scrub of choice? Caster sugar! I choose from 2 application methods. (1) sugar mixed with baby oil and applied to a dry face. Follow with cleanser. Or (2) Johnsons Sorbolene lotion mixed with the sugar and applied to a damp face. When using the scrub, apply with very gentle pressure. I repeat - use very gentle pressure! Once you have rinsed it off, you are rewarded with skin that is softer than a baby's bottom! Your serums/moisturisers/acne treatments will now work better without all those dead skin cells in the way :-) I advise scrubbing no more than 2x a week.

Caster is the best sugar if you're going to use it on your face because the grains are quite fine (it's used in baking). But other sugar like Demerara or plain raw sugar would be fine for the body. I am now addicted to scrubbing with sugar. It's cheap, effective and pure.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2009 11:21:00 PM More reviews by marchangels

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was saving up to buy a clarisonic microdermabrasion kit, but in the mean time, I saw all these great reviews on sugar scrubs. I thought what the heck, I'll try it. I expected it to break me out the next morning since I put a little EVOO in with it. But NO -nothing....just beautiful radiant smooth skin!!! Before I used this I had little bumps here and there not really acne though -but after using this they were all gone WOO-HOO!! I love my skin now and I'm not going to spend my $$ on clarisonic now! I use it every other day for my face and 2x's a week on my body -little bumpies on my back-GONE!! I also use a little baking soda (Arm and Hammer) on my face afterwards to help wash the excess oil off. Combination = Perfection! :-) Try it!