April 16, 2014 | 1570 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by keyelement

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I agree with all other rave reviews. Coconut oil really is wonderful and you should try it. I have a jar from Trader Joes that cost less than 5 bucks in NYC. Cheapest yet most valuable beauty product ever. I use it on cuticles, feet, face, hair. I love the toasted coconut smell of the oil and the way it melts in your hands. Yum!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by MissBehaviour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm old and jaded enough to hardly ever get evangelical about a product, but I so wish that a) I had realised what an awesome and truly multi-purpose natural product this is much sooner and b) that I could tell everybody out there to get a tub and try it. Here's how I use extra virgin unrefined coconut oil (the brand doesn't matter to me at all; I get whatever organic brand's available at the local health food store):

-I'm pregnant and use this to moisturise my bump (in fact it was during online research for natural, unscented moisturisers that are safe to use during pregnancy that I even stumbled on coconut oil as a beauty product)

-all over body moisturiser (it is especially brilliant at soothing razor rash on my legs and wherever else)

-to soothe minor irritations, cuts, burns

-as a fabulous pre-shampooing hair treatment (but NOT for use on dry hair between washes; it's simply too rich and weighs my straight hair down too much if not washed out)

-to moisturise my English bulldog's nose and face wrinkles (like many dogs with sensitive skin and skin folds, hers get sore and red if not regularly cleaned and moisturised. The coconut oil is having a fantastic healing effect on her skin and keeps it nicely conditioned)

-to add gloss and shine to our cat's coats (a bit rubbed between hands and smoothed on their coats does the trick)

-occasional teaspoon or two in our dog's and cats' food (benefits of coconut oil as a dietary addition for dogs and cats can be found by doing a bit of googling)

-occasionally for cooking and baking (adds delicious aroma to curries, yorkshire puddings, etc.)

-occasionally as a makeup remover (works great, although my normal standby for this is jojoba oil and Bioderma Crealine for eye makeup)

I also read that many use it as a personal lubricant (although should not be used with latex condoms as it can compromise their effectiveness). Coconut oil has antifungal properties too, always a good thing in anyone's book, I should think.

Very few products make it onto my holy grail list, and of those which do, even fewer are products I can truly see myself using 30+ years from now. Coconut oil qualifies for both of those caregories. I can recommend wholeheartedly, because even the highest quality oil will not break the bank and, if not desired for one purpose or another, can be used for dozens more instead.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:22:00 PM More reviews by mdaustin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is hands down one of my biggest secrets for dealing with dry or irritated skin. Everyone should keep a jar of this handy. A few weeks ago I irritated a sensitive spot when cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and the itchy burn just wouldn't go away. Two days of coconut oil and it was good as new! The biggest down side (maybe an upside for some) is that you tend to smell like a pina colada after using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by bedesanchez

I've been using this with castor oil on my eyebrows for the past couple of days and I have to say I Already see a difference! My eyebrows are thicker and growing back quick! Can't wait to shape my eyebrows soon :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 6:33:00 PM More reviews by akneil

I have a huge tub of this and I use it as eye makeup remover. It works SUPER well and SMELLS AMAZING!! Why use chemicals on your eyes when you can use one ingredient which is natural?! This stuff is wonderful. HG product. Only downside is that it expires and I don't think I will finish it by then. Next time I might buy a smaller tub. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by drivesl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've experimented with using coconut oil as a moisturizer and eye make up remover. I've been careful because it is considered comedogenic, or pore clogging. It is not a good face moisturizer for the acne prone.

Eye makeup remover: Incredible, it is incredible. Smoothing hardened coconut oil over my eye removed most of my makeup before I wiped it off and left my lid incredibly soft. Also, good for the under eye. Unlike olive oil, it doesn't require the wiping step as much and doesn't irritate my tear ducts.

Face: I rubbed a small amount all over, even on problem areas like my chin. It absorbed into and softened my skin beautifully and for a while when I used it at night, but I also woke up with black heads where I don't usually have them (between my eyebrows and on my forehead. No bueno.)

Hands: I get very dry hands during the winter and am bad at remembering to moisturize them. I tried coconut oil as a day time moisturizer instead of Keri. It absorbed deep into the layers of the skin in a way hand creams can't do and stayed through some hand washings. However, it left my hand still somewhat scaly and didn't moisturize that well. The fact that it penetrates deep into skin makes it a worthy alternative, though.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by makeupmistress666

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Coconut oil is an HG product for me. I have used it as a hair treatment, hair serum, moisturizer on body, face, and lips, makeup remover, and mixed with sugar as a moisturizing scrub. I can't say enough how wonderful coconut oil is! I would not want to be without this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by blondbunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like EVO oil this is another organic beauty saviour.in todays world we are constantly Plagued by fancy commercials of brands promoting their new creams/serums whether it be on the tv or magazines they make it look so inticing with beautiful models with Impeccable flawless skin advertising their products which all promise to diminish fine lines and wrinkles minimize pores and give you radiant and more youthful looking skin so you rush to the nearest department store only to find out A teeny tiny 30 mil bottle will set you back $ 85 you Reluctantly cough up your hard earned cash in the hopes for beautiful looking skin that every woman wants and dreams of as shallow as it may sound its true I'm a believer that the right skin care regime can really contribute to ageing gracefully that ofcourse cutting back on too much sun and smoking. as wondefful as these fancy brands may sound and expensive I might add nothing beats the organic wonders out there. coconut oil is another great skin Beautifier that leaves my Dehydrated skin soft and supple whilst soothing my Eczema and not only is it beneficial for skin but it is a hair saviour for my baby fine hair without all the harsh chemicals it leaves my hair soft shiny and Significantly healthier coconut oil has so many wonderful benefits that i will find use for as long as I live.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I joined the coconut oil party a little late, but after finishing off my first tub and repurchasing another I have to say this product is simply awesome for me. Great, gentle, inexpensive, and versatile product to use for adding hydration and moisture to my skin and hair. Love using it as a weekly hair mask, applying it as a nightly lip balm, or using it as a moisturizer for dry areas on my face or body.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Manue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am loving the oil-cleansing method with organic, cold pressed coconut oil. I buy the Maison d'Orphee Brand in Canada. I was a bit worried this would clog pores, because coconut oil is known to be comedogenic, but for some reason this works on my skin. My skin is less dry. I have fewer breakouts. I basically massage the oil on my face at night and use a wet facial cotton pad to gently remove any makeup and grime. It's been a couple of months, and I don't see myself going back to expensive cleansers any time soon.

Update: It does seem to clog pores a bit over time.