July 22, 2014 | 1052 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Ce Soir Ou Jamais

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2003 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sugarski

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A pretty rose fragrance, heady and romantic, but with some grassy freshness as well. It actually reminds me strongly of Joy by Jean Patou. It's not exactly my style, but for rose aficionados, I'd say this is a must-try. UPDATE: I'm testing this again and take back my comparison to Joy. There is something similar about them, but Ce Soir is much sweeter than Joy, with that "rose just before it goes bad" note that others have mentioned (also, I might venture to add, a "cut lemon that's been sitting in the fridge a bit too long" note). It's actually starting to make me feel a bit nauseous... don't like this as much as I thought, so I'm taking off a lippie. Hmmmm, where's the soap?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2003 11:20:00 PM More reviews by jiicky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Ce Soir ou Jamais smells like a bouquet of red roses that are about a day or two away from going bad. The fragrance is nice enough but I was a bit disappointed by the lack of freshness of the scent. The fragrance is also somewhat "thin" rather than bold and full.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2003 12:55:00 AM More reviews by dolcevita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would buy this for a lover of roses, as I find it to be among the most beautiful rose perfumes in the world. However, on me, it's less than glorious; something in it turns musty on drydown. But then, it smells lovely on my mother who also loves and wears Caron Rose. I wear L'Occitane Rose and Penhaligon Rose, both which work well on my skin. I go on like this to show that there is a rose for everybody. Anyway, Ce Soir Ou Jamais is one of my favorites in Annick Goutal's fabulous line of perfumes.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2003 11:06:00 PM More reviews by superkitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my very 1st Annick Goutal fragrance. What a dream! It smells like champagne and roses, like sipping champagne in a rose garden at night. It has some hints of jasmine too. "Tonight or never"... what an enchanting name! I'll have to admit, it was the name that caught my attention 1st. Conjures up images of grand dinner parties and elegant ladies.I find the EDT strong and lasting enough and in the hot and humid climate here, this can only be used at night. Some of my guy friends didn't appreciate it though... guess it was too heady for their uncultivated noses. Haha.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2003 2:03:00 PM More reviews by Zinka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree with the description of "wine and roses" mentioned by some of the previous reviewers. I have not worn many rose fragrances in the past, but the combination of notes here is in perfect "harmony" with my body chemistry :)
As a singer and musician, I was interested to read about Goutal's fragrance compositions; they really do unfold just like an opera or symphony. "Ce Soir Ou Jamais", is subtle, intoxicating, and a scent that draws compliments from both men and women. If it had a color, it would match the deep wine-red ball gown I got to wear in "Die Fledermaus!"
Fragrance preferences are completely subjective, and this scent will not work its spell for everyone. However, it won me over completely, when I least expected it to, and has become my personal favorite, a well-kept secret that others enjoy sharing :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2003 6:27:00 PM More reviews by DianaS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was surprised to like this scent - and I'll admit that I never would have tried it if it didn't have such a sexy name.
It smells like wine, roses, and something else on me. Very pretty. However, I hardly ever wear it. It's a very romantic scent, imo. Too romantic for work, and more romantic than sexy, so not exactly what I want when I go out, either. When I first purchased this I thought that maybe I'd wear it more when I had a little romance in my life, but I've got romance up to here now and still never reach for it. I'm more into scents that someone special has to get really close to me to smell... and this one just isn't subtle. It's full-frontal romantic. Maybe next winter... continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2003 7:54:00 PM More reviews by smellslikeleaves

*Dreamy sigh* This is a magical concoction for me. I was curious about the stories behind Annick Goutal's fragrances (that she recreates moments from her own life through fragrance or makes fragrances as odes to her loved ones) and fell prey to the drama inherent in the name of this one...as others have said, "Tonight or Never" en francais. Luckily, the scent is as beautiful and evocative as its name. The rose scent is less a tea rose than the scent of old garden roses, the kinds which are stuffed with petals and have a deeper, full-bodied, less sweet and less cloying fragrance, and fills my head with images of old moonlit gardens filled with overgrown rose bushes dripping with heavy blossoms to provide a fragrant backdrop for the midnight rendez-vous of secret lovers. It also reminds me of my Dad's rose garden back home which he and I worked meticulously to cultivate when I was a kid. There is a spicy mustyness to the drydown which reminds me of wine, or my father's wine cellar to be more accurate. Since this fragrance reminds me of my father's twin passions, wine and roses, it has an especially special place in my heart. It's a truly gorgeous fragrance. I have the EDT which has decent lasting power (6-8 hours or so) and is not too overwhelmingly heady. Edited to add: Still loving this one after several years. I discovered while testing Serge Lutens fragrances that Sa Majeste la Rose is a dead ringer for Ce Soir. Get this one instead, for much less (particularly on discount sites).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2003 9:48:00 PM More reviews by tjk2270

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had the opportunity to try this today and am in love. What a fresh, beautiful scent. A definite rose accord shines through, but it's a fresh, playful, romantic rose, and like the previous reviewer mentioned, it does have a sort of "wine" scent, also. (Not horrid like "Kors" however, lol) I have had it on my wrists for 6 hours and it is still going strong. Still smells wonderful. Definitely feminine and romantic, yet also subtly sensual. LOVE it. Can't yet decide whether to get the EDT or EDP...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2003 12:54:00 AM More reviews by desiree_e

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Before I ever tried this fragrance, I knew I was going to love it. I liked its name, and even though that's a silly thing to base a purchase like this on, I put it on my birthday list and got it as a present from my mother in January. Its name is very different from the other Annick Goutal fragrances and I found that intriguing. The fragrance is the same way. It's very different from her others, and intriguing too. On me it starts out strong, like wine and rose, and later develops into a duller rose cocoa butter-chocolatey scent, which is So delicious to me that I try smelling it any chance I get. For me it lasts forever (I have edt), I can usually still detect it the next day, or in some cases, after I've been in a pool or spa. This scent is very special, and like another reviewer, I only wear it on special ocassions in the evening during winter or fall. You could get away with it during the day in November, maybe, but it was named "ce Soir ou jamais" for a reason I'm sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2003 1:06:00 PM More reviews by midnightc

This is my favorite rose scent. Not old-ladyish and not too heady. After a few hours, it smells deep and rich, like skin only better. Very romantic!