Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40 [DISCONTINUED]

Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40  [DISCONTINUED]

4.2

Active: Titanium Dioxide 8.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl Phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

on 4/23/2008 3:32:00 PM

Pros:
Really cosmetically elegant. This is more cosmetically elegant than other physical sunscreen i've used on my face before - like the shiseido extra gently one for sensitive skin/babies - it leaves less white cast and feels lighter. Also doesn't cause ANY greasiness, provides a matte finish once dry.
Cons:
1.seems to contain alcohol, which I thought photosensitizes skin,
2.only active ingredient is ~ 8% Titanium Dioxide, and if I remember correctly, TiO2 alone doesn't provide high UVA protection, at least compared with Zinc Oxide.

This review is for both the old uv plus and the new one with added "environmental protection" - I've used both and they're pretty indistiguishable to me.

on 4/15/2008 2:28:00 AM

I used this product when it first came out & stopped. Recently I went back because it's been nearly impossible to find a physical sunscreen that is cosmetically elegant. I was hoping I would have a different reaction to this one the second time around. Unfortuneately I have the same issues as I did before. It leaves a white cast & stays slighlty sticky on my face, it doens't really complete absorb into the skin. It ends up making my skin feel tight due to it's absorbing properties. It makes my face appear redder due to the alcohol content. It's also heavily fragranced, although the smell does dissappate after a few minutes of application. It does not look good under powder foundation because of the white cast that changes the color of the makeup & makes me look really pale & unnatural & I'm an NC20 as it is. The pros is that it's a liquidy texture so I don't tug at my skin as much compared to when I use a cream sunscreen, tugging is inevitable when applying the cream type sunscreen as you have to really spread & rub it in. I also like the small portable size, great for travel. It is pricey, as the $40.00 tube only lasts me one month. Sigh, the search continues for a better sunscreen. I'll be using this up though since I currently don't have a back up sunscreen. I'll use this up on the weekends when I don't wear makeup or for my neck & hands as it's so small it will be gone in a mere few weeks.

on 4/14/2008 6:06:00 AM

Love this stuff! It was painful to pay the $40 CAN at Sephora for such a tiny bottle, but it is an excellent, versatile, and high-quality product. It's oil-free, completely non-greasy, and has a great SPF. It's not as heavily fragranced as usual Clarins products either. This is great for Canadian weather- you can wear it under moisturizer for dry winters, and alone for oil-control during the sweaty summers. Now, I'm wearing it alone under a foundation that makes me oily and it mattifies all day. EDIT: Unfortunately, this dried my skin out and seemed to let some rays sneak in. Maybe not the best total UV protection? Who knows.. I switched to the more reasonable and sun-proof Shiseido Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream SPF 38. It mattifies and moisturizes better so I don't need an additional one on top.

on 4/8/2008 10:43:00 AM

I got this when I was on a holiday and the sun was burning at 40 degrees! The SA strongly recommended this as it is made of minerals and I can reapply even with makeup on. I paid about USD 70 for it, it's the most expensive sunblock I've ever bought but after using it for 2 days under the scorching sun, my face didnt burn at all! I think the high price is totally worth it and I'll definitely re-purchase this again!

on 4/5/2008 3:26:00 PM

I have just bought my second bottle of this amazing product. A little goes a long way, the bottle lasted me about 5 months. The best thing about this product is lightweight consistency, a dime size is more than plenty to cover entire face. It is based on 100% mineral filters, and does not leave a gooey residue like other face sunblocks. I do notice a slight white coat over my face, but when I massage the product to let my skin soak it, the white veil usually disappears. Then I apply some mineral powder and it is unnoticeable.
The price may seem high for such a small bottle, but it will last a long time and all you need is a bit of product to go a long way, worth every penny. This very well be my HG face sunblock.

on 4/5/2008 1:02:00 AM

This is the only sunscreen I can layer over moisturizer, that offers such a high protection without greasiness, that mattifies my t-zone, that has mineral sunblock, and that doesn't break me out at all. The only thing I don't like is that it's so expensive for such a small bottle, plus it's very low on antioidants and skin-identical ingredients. But until I find one that performs better, this will have to do.
EDIT: They have reformulated it and the new one isn't as matt as the older version. I don't know if I'll be buying again.

on 3/21/2008 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I have been using this for a month and I love it. I have extremely sensitive skin and the fragrance in this has not bothered it (yet). I live in the Southwest and the alcohol has not dried my skin. (I do use a moisturizer prior to applying this, but mainly because of living in the desert.) I love the way this goes on. It sinks in immediately and cannot be seen nor felt. It honestly feels like I have nothing on (and to quote Martha, "THAT is a very good thing.")

on 3/21/2008 9:36:00 PM

Its quite a good sun protector really, the reason why I didnt give it a high rate is the smell. I dont like the smell of it, and I dont like it made my face fakey after it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really like this product. I can't even tell that I'm wearing any sunblock when I have it on, and a little really goes a long way. I've had the same package for a year already, and I still have a lot left. It's very lightweight and really does its job. I do think the price is quite high, but for the amount of time one container lasts, it's worth it.

on 3/15/2008 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very silicone- feeling on my skin and greasy. Would not repurchase.