September 2, 2014 | 1659 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by celticrose

This is the only sunscreen I can layer over moisturizer, that offers such a high protection without greasiness, that mattifies my t-zone, that has mineral sunblock, and that doesn't break me out at all. The only thing I don't like is that it's so expensive for such a small bottle, plus it's very low on antioidants and skin-identical ingredients. But until I find one that performs better, this will have to do.
EDIT: They have reformulated it and the new one isn't as matt as the older version. I don't know if I'll be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by one

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for a month and I love it. I have extremely sensitive skin and the fragrance in this has not bothered it (yet). I live in the Southwest and the alcohol has not dried my skin. (I do use a moisturizer prior to applying this, but mainly because of living in the desert.) I love the way this goes on. It sinks in immediately and cannot be seen nor felt. It honestly feels like I have nothing on (and to quote Martha, "THAT is a very good thing.")

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2008 9:36:00 PM More reviews by angelxx

Its quite a good sun protector really, the reason why I didnt give it a high rate is the smell. I dont like the smell of it, and I dont like it made my face fakey after it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Kaffeesansmilch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I can't even tell that I'm wearing any sunblock when I have it on, and a little really goes a long way. I've had the same package for a year already, and I still have a lot left. It's very lightweight and really does its job. I do think the price is quite high, but for the amount of time one container lasts, it's worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2008 3:03:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very silicone- feeling on my skin and greasy. Would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2008 4:01:00 PM More reviews by LightsInSorrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I sampled a bit of this based on a recommendation from a coworker and ended up getting a bottle. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't expensive, because it is, but I think it is worth the money. I was using MAC Prep+Prime Face Protect SPF 50 (which I do love, don't get me wrong) but since I never wear foundation and don't have a problem with the laydown and longwear integrity of my concealer and powder, I found that I do not need the primer aspect of the Face Protect and sought out to find a sunscreen that is just...well, sunscreen only. I love the texture of Clarins UV Plus. It is incredibly lightweight and milky in consistency since it doesn't have a lot of added "fillers." I have combination skin, and although this doesn't control the dispersion of oil through my t-zone the way the Face Protect did, it doesn't exacerbate the situation either. After I apply my Olay Sensitive Therapy moisturizer, I layer the UV Plus on top and it dries down to a nice semi-matte finish that doesn't interfere with the look or feel of makeup. It doesn't burn the hell out of my eyes either, which is a major plus. My only concern is that the UVA protection isn't as broad as I'd like and I wish it had a higher SPF, plus I know I'll go through the tube quickly, since I am pretty generous in my application of sunscreen. Otherwise it is a great product. I have yet to see how it photographs, but I do love that it doesn't feel or look like sunscreen. The texture is fantastic...I wish the product came in a bigger bottle so I can apply it all over! I do plan on testing this against La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ to see which one I like better and will update again.

Edit: As great as this product is, I've found that LRP Anthelios is better and cheaper (I paid $38 for 2 bottles!). I won't be repurchasing Clarins UV Plus unless LRP is ever discontinued.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 2:45:00 PM More reviews by happyme777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I got this based on the reviews here based on this product. I have been using it for a week now and am ready to review.
I have been using it everyday for a week. With it being high spf, I thought it would be white and 'holographic' looking, but it's actually not. It's very sheer and quite matte, and leaves a very soft white veil, not a overyly white cast, and I don't mind it at all (especially because my skin tone is medium-dark Asian, so this was a particular concern for me). It's soft and almost powdery and i am quite happy with the finish. I can even layer it during the day (after blotting with a single tissue) and reapply and it feels light and soft.

I find that i only wear this and a bit of concealer where needed and i feel good to go. It makes a nice base for my concealer.

After the first couple of days, i thought this was causing me to break out with one or two small red surface bumps/ spots, which would then disappear in the morning. This may have been the case, but it seems to have subsided now and I don't seem to be getting those red bumps anymore. Will update if they return!

As some have mentioned on here, I'm not sure this provides sufficient UVA protection...? I don't know if I am adequately UVA protected with this product... Also price is very expensive.

It is pleasantly scented, it doesn't linger and it doesn't bother me. Overall nice product with good benefits and I would probably purchase again

UPDATE 08/04/2004
I no longer use this as I don't feel it has adequate UVA protection. Also quite drying, not hydrating enough. Did not experience further problems with breakouts but will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

WOW. stole this from my husband. I have to admit, I'm not a big Clarins fan. To me, the whole line always scream dowdy older french woman and I never am drawn to their products. My husband, however, adores the energizing oil on me and is always trolling the clarins counter, looking at all their wares while I walk over to *sexier* brands to look over their products. Anyways, he needed to use a facial sunscreen and didn't like the oily/tacky feel of many he'd tried, so the SA from Clarins sold him this one. I know I should wear sunscreen every day. But I don't. I'll buy them, try them out, and invariably end up with break-outs, extra shine, mask-like complexion, so I stop. I have many tubes of unused sunblock (including mineral powders) lying about my office, my car... Recently I started to use CE ferrulic from skinceuticals and knew it was important to really protect my skin from UV's so I grabbed the Clarins bottle and started to use it. Lo and behold! The stuff sinks in immediately, smells good (very short-lived powdery scent), disappears. No shine, no tacky, no sunscreen smell! Why didn't I get this before. I have to say I was a little consternated by the very technical review below stating that this sunblock is not very broad spectrum. At this point I feel that some protection is better than none, and I have found something I am willing to use daily and consistently. I will definitely be repurchasing. For my husband, too!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 10:43:00 AM More reviews by navarre

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this. My skin will only tolerate TiO2 as far as sunscreens go and I was happy to find this in a Clarins product, since they've always been good to my skin. I agree with the below reviewer that it can be drying in the winter, (so keep your thirsty skin moisturized at night and wear this over day moisturizer). I love the finish and feel of it, soft and matte. It has never broken me out or made me too shiny. It is expensive ($40 for 1 oz. in the U.S.) but when I think of all the money I've spent on stuff that doesn't work, it doesn't seem so bad. Highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by farmerdaughter

very good product. i break out from all chemical sunscreens and this is nothing like those. very light and weightless feeling. not greasy at all. can be a little drying in the winter. but blocks the sun very effectively. used it for over a year and liked it but now i'm trying other physical sunscreens to see if there's one that's less dry. right now i'm using DDF organic spf 15, which is great so far. less expensive than clarins and less white tinted.