October 30, 2014 | 1341 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 10:43:00 AM More reviews by wenzer

I got this when I was on a holiday and the sun was burning at 40 degrees! The SA strongly recommended this as it is made of minerals and I can reapply even with makeup on. I paid about USD 70 for it, it's the most expensive sunblock I've ever bought but after using it for 2 days under the scorching sun, my face didnt burn at all! I think the high price is totally worth it and I'll definitely re-purchase this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by missmostyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have just bought my second bottle of this amazing product. A little goes a long way, the bottle lasted me about 5 months. The best thing about this product is lightweight consistency, a dime size is more than plenty to cover entire face. It is based on 100% mineral filters, and does not leave a gooey residue like other face sunblocks. I do notice a slight white coat over my face, but when I massage the product to let my skin soak it, the white veil usually disappears. Then I apply some mineral powder and it is unnoticeable.
The price may seem high for such a small bottle, but it will last a long time and all you need is a bit of product to go a long way, worth every penny. This very well be my HG face sunblock.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by celticrose

This is the only sunscreen I can layer over moisturizer, that offers such a high protection without greasiness, that mattifies my t-zone, that has mineral sunblock, and that doesn't break me out at all. The only thing I don't like is that it's so expensive for such a small bottle, plus it's very low on antioidants and skin-identical ingredients. But until I find one that performs better, this will have to do.
EDIT: They have reformulated it and the new one isn't as matt as the older version. I don't know if I'll be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by one

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for a month and I love it. I have extremely sensitive skin and the fragrance in this has not bothered it (yet). I live in the Southwest and the alcohol has not dried my skin. (I do use a moisturizer prior to applying this, but mainly because of living in the desert.) I love the way this goes on. It sinks in immediately and cannot be seen nor felt. It honestly feels like I have nothing on (and to quote Martha, "THAT is a very good thing.")

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2008 9:36:00 PM More reviews by angelxx

Its quite a good sun protector really, the reason why I didnt give it a high rate is the smell. I dont like the smell of it, and I dont like it made my face fakey after it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Kaffeesansmilch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I can't even tell that I'm wearing any sunblock when I have it on, and a little really goes a long way. I've had the same package for a year already, and I still have a lot left. It's very lightweight and really does its job. I do think the price is quite high, but for the amount of time one container lasts, it's worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2008 3:03:00 PM More reviews by goodtiger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very silicone- feeling on my skin and greasy. Would not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2008 4:01:00 PM More reviews by LightsInSorrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I sampled a bit of this based on a recommendation from a coworker and ended up getting a bottle. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't expensive, because it is, but I think it is worth the money. I was using MAC Prep+Prime Face Protect SPF 50 (which I do love, don't get me wrong) but since I never wear foundation and don't have a problem with the laydown and longwear integrity of my concealer and powder, I found that I do not need the primer aspect of the Face Protect and sought out to find a sunscreen that is just...well, sunscreen only. I love the texture of Clarins UV Plus. It is incredibly lightweight and milky in consistency since it doesn't have a lot of added "fillers." I have combination skin, and although this doesn't control the dispersion of oil through my t-zone the way the Face Protect did, it doesn't exacerbate the situation either. After I apply my Olay Sensitive Therapy moisturizer, I layer the UV Plus on top and it dries down to a nice semi-matte finish that doesn't interfere with the look or feel of makeup. It doesn't burn the hell out of my eyes either, which is a major plus. My only concern is that the UVA protection isn't as broad as I'd like and I wish it had a higher SPF, plus I know I'll go through the tube quickly, since I am pretty generous in my application of sunscreen. Otherwise it is a great product. I have yet to see how it photographs, but I do love that it doesn't feel or look like sunscreen. The texture is fantastic...I wish the product came in a bigger bottle so I can apply it all over! I do plan on testing this against La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ to see which one I like better and will update again.

Edit: As great as this product is, I've found that LRP Anthelios is better and cheaper (I paid $38 for 2 bottles!). I won't be repurchasing Clarins UV Plus unless LRP is ever discontinued.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 2:45:00 PM More reviews by happyme777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I got this based on the reviews here based on this product. I have been using it for a week now and am ready to review.
I have been using it everyday for a week. With it being high spf, I thought it would be white and 'holographic' looking, but it's actually not. It's very sheer and quite matte, and leaves a very soft white veil, not a overyly white cast, and I don't mind it at all (especially because my skin tone is medium-dark Asian, so this was a particular concern for me). It's soft and almost powdery and i am quite happy with the finish. I can even layer it during the day (after blotting with a single tissue) and reapply and it feels light and soft.

I find that i only wear this and a bit of concealer where needed and i feel good to go. It makes a nice base for my concealer.

After the first couple of days, i thought this was causing me to break out with one or two small red surface bumps/ spots, which would then disappear in the morning. This may have been the case, but it seems to have subsided now and I don't seem to be getting those red bumps anymore. Will update if they return!

As some have mentioned on here, I'm not sure this provides sufficient UVA protection...? I don't know if I am adequately UVA protected with this product... Also price is very expensive.

It is pleasantly scented, it doesn't linger and it doesn't bother me. Overall nice product with good benefits and I would probably purchase again

UPDATE 08/04/2004
I no longer use this as I don't feel it has adequate UVA protection. Also quite drying, not hydrating enough. Did not experience further problems with breakouts but will not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

WOW. stole this from my husband. I have to admit, I'm not a big Clarins fan. To me, the whole line always scream dowdy older french woman and I never am drawn to their products. My husband, however, adores the energizing oil on me and is always trolling the clarins counter, looking at all their wares while I walk over to *sexier* brands to look over their products. Anyways, he needed to use a facial sunscreen and didn't like the oily/tacky feel of many he'd tried, so the SA from Clarins sold him this one. I know I should wear sunscreen every day. But I don't. I'll buy them, try them out, and invariably end up with break-outs, extra shine, mask-like complexion, so I stop. I have many tubes of unused sunblock (including mineral powders) lying about my office, my car... Recently I started to use CE ferrulic from skinceuticals and knew it was important to really protect my skin from UV's so I grabbed the Clarins bottle and started to use it. Lo and behold! The stuff sinks in immediately, smells good (very short-lived powdery scent), disappears. No shine, no tacky, no sunscreen smell! Why didn't I get this before. I have to say I was a little consternated by the very technical review below stating that this sunblock is not very broad spectrum. At this point I feel that some protection is better than none, and I have found something I am willing to use daily and consistently. I will definitely be repurchasing. For my husband, too!