July 24, 2014 | 1971 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #209 Eye liner

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2007 6:47:00 PM More reviews by xcoco

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this brush to put fluidliner on my waterline since I cant use the 266 for this purpose, it scratch my waterline.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2007 3:52:00 PM More reviews by maan84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this e/l brush! I use it everyday to apply MAC fluidline gel e/l. It makes it sooo easy to apply gel e/l.

This brush is just fantastic! Hands down the best e/l brush I have ever tried. No shedding or splaying and I clean it after every use. I've been using it for over a year now! I am VERY impressed. I will definitely repurchase when needed.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2007 12:34:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

THE perfect brush for gel liners, hands down. At least for me. I have the much-raved-about 266 also and it's good too, but the 209 is easier for me to use for some reason. Overall a great little brush. No shedding or splaying, even after multiple cleanings. Definitely worth shelling out for if you're looking for a good liner brush and haven't quite found the right one yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2007 11:00:00 AM More reviews by tldavis36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this with my Clinique cream eyeliners and I love it. I will definitely repurchase when my brush needs replacing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by pinky33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I have to say that I've been using Bobbi Brown ultra fine liner brush for my fluidlines as well as her gel liners. I like the stiffness of it but I couldn't get the line straight or fine enough. I can't use the slant tipped brushes either. I finally decided to try the MAC 209 and I'm very pleased with it so far. Used it for the first time today. If this brush splays I will be very upset and report back here. Otherwise this will be my go to brush. Wanted to try the 311 lip brush but haven't. So I don't know if that one is better...

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2007 9:20:00 PM More reviews by emilysmom32

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am surprised that the reviews of this aren't better. It has really made the fluidlines usable for me and I am an eyeshadow clutz. I have washed it quite a few times and it has not lost any hair

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2007 6:51:00 PM More reviews by FourFortyFive

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hate this brush, itís the worst brush Iíve ever bought. Iíve had two, both have splayed on me. Both of my favorite MAís have this brush and itís splayed...whatís the deal? I carefully clean it every few weeks with MACís brush cleanser, watered down 1:3. In the 10 years that Iíve owned makeup brushes, Iíve never had one splay, I still use the first brush I ever bought. I bought this strictly for use with my fluidlines and while I could control it great, it's just a crappy brush, I have no idea why I bought it twice! Itís not a fine tip so if youíre going for the pin-fine liquid liner look, skip 209 and go directly to the 208. Blah! :P

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2007 8:12:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Very nice angle brush to use with gel liners, and easy to create smudged or defined looks. I use this brush instead of the one that came with Clinique's gel eyeliner; its far superior for application

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2007 1:07:00 PM More reviews by na8i

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was already set on buying the 209 for fluidlines, after reading the raves and seeing the great pics here on the forum! However, the makeup artist actually recommended the 208; so I bought both of them because I couldn't decide! Anyway, my one month trial period with these two have come to an end:

209 - Since I really suck with liquid eyeliner, and the point of this brush is similar to the applicators, I expected this to require a really long conditioning period. The first thing I did after buying this was to do one eye with 208 and one with 209. Surprisingly, the 209 felt much easier to control, and I used this almost exclusively for the first couple of weeks... Nowadays I hardly use the 209 anymore. It just feels flimsier (maybe because I don't wash it too often) and not stiff enough. It could have been shorter and stiffer (like the 311 lip brush). I will try and reintroduce it to my Blitz & Glitz after washing...

208 - Interestingly enough this brush required more practice to get used to. I had a hard time making a thin line at first, probably because I held it perpendicular to my lashline. It works much better if you tilt it a little bit - you can then easily adjust to get the kind of line you want. It also works fabulously for tightlining, whereas the 209 is more difficult to control! Also great for winging, or making cat eyes. Holds its shape despite regular use and little cleaning! Seems to make a straighter line than 209 when I tried both on my hand, just for the purpose of testing.

Other alternatives from MAC would be the previously mentioned lip liner brush 311, the angled brushes 263 and 266 (both of which are longer than the 208), the flat definer 212 (an artist told me this one makes very thick lines), and the synthetic 231 (which I plan on getting for eye shadow anyway). Summa: I would recommend the 208 over the 209, as it is more convenient in terms of making a thick or thin line, making a straight line, tightlining and requires less effort to perform.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2007 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Suselew

After all the hype on this brush, I thought it would be a bit more thick. Don't get me wrong, it's a good brush for eyeliner, but I think I could buy one just as good at the craft store for a lot less.

The packaging was somewhat lame, too. Nothing to protect the bristles after they dry. Maybe I'm picky, but it came with only a clear sleeve. Is that normal for makeup brushes. Maybe.

I will try a couple other brushes next time. This is a good first one (new to gel eye liners), but I've yet to find my HG.