Origins Modern Friction

3.8

Aqueous infusion; rosa damascena (rose) flower; oryza sativa (rice) starch; sodium laureth sulfate; glycerin; cocamide mea; flycol disterate; acylates copolymer; pentylene flycol; polysorbate 20; essential oils (olea); citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot); citrus limon (lemon); cucumis sativus (cucumber); cinnamomum camphora (shiu); litsea cubeba; citrus aurantium (petitgrain); ocimum basilicum (basil); citral; linalool; benzyl salicylate; limonene and mentha piperita (peppermint), aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice; scutellaria baicalensis; pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract; cucumis sativa (cucumber) fruit extract; textrahexyldecyl (vitamin C) ascorbate; butylene glycol; hexylene glycol; sodium cocate; caprylyl glycol; sodium sulfate; hydroxypropyl methylcellulose; sodium chloride; laureth-2; tetradibutyl pentaerithityl hydroxyhydrocinnamate; edta; disodium edta; trisodium hedta; methylchlorosothiazolinone; methylisothiazolinone; sodium benzoate; penoxyethanaol; titanium dioxide (ci 7789).

on 10/7/2010 3:00:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Oh man, I'm not really sure how I feel about this product. I have a full sized product in the old tub packaging as a buy two pack at Target (came with A Perfect World toner), and a small tube I got in a GWP when I bought a full-sized Checks and Balances face wash (LOVE that product).

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure the tub of product hasn't gone off... its so gummy, though the tube seems to have a similar consistency. Not a great first impression, eh?* The smell also seems funky, sort of like Hope in a Jar from Philosophy, which is a definite negative. Applying the product to your face dry is also a terribly unpleasant feeling. The scrub bits are huge and it feels harsh in comparison to what I usually use, which uses sand-sized particles for exfoliation. My combo/oily skin initially feels a bit dry after I wash it away, but does hydrate nicely again within a half hour.

So why am I willing to try using the rest of the tube? Because despite all the unpleasantness, my skin does feel soft and exfoliated afterwards. My night serum absorbs perfectly into my skin, and I wake up looking good. Will I likely buy it again? NO, because its hideously expensive and I hate using it. I think I can do better.

*I'll probably throw the tub away, since I'm convinced its gone bad.

on 10/2/2010 3:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I always, always, always come back to Origins for skincare. Always. I had been using Modern Friction religiously, several years ago, when I relocated to a place with no Origins counter. However counterproductive an attitude, I can't get over the fact that it's a bit ridiculous to drive 2+ hours for a "natural" skincare line. It's equally ridiculous to have it shipped all over the continent. So I spent the last 2.5 years searching desperately for a scrub that was as gentle as MF, that could be used almost daily, and was readily available. I found some pretty good ones, but not a one of them gave my skin the same amazing glow and softness that MF imparts. Since I recently moved to within 1 hour of the nearest counter, I decided to just suck it up and grab a pot. Hosannah! It not comes in a tube! My only stupid little complaint about it had been that the tub was annoying to operate in the shower and lo, it is resolved. So now I have my perfect scrub back, it's easily dispensed, my skin is thrilled, and I am totally going to get over the 1 hour cosmetic voyage, because this stuff lasts ages, anyway. Just a very small, pea-sized bit does it for me. Massage gently on dry skin, add water to froth, rinse and discover awesomeness. My face is so happy!!!

Works Great, makes skin smoother

on 9/24/2010 5:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I really loved this product when I first tried it at a mini-facial at Kit as I was so much more gentle than anything else I had ever tried. I bought the tub (I think it was about 75AUD which is quite exey!!!) and couldn't wait to take it home.
It was working well as I was trying to 'love my skin' while keeping up with exfolaition so that my congested skin would get better before my wedding. I had to step up my skin regime and ended up using acne creams and antibiotics. I found that this product started to burn on my skin using this combination. I think Differin makes your skin more sensitive things even if they are 'sensitive' formulations. Just depends on your skin I guess!
It comes in a tub - don't love it due to hygiene and ease of use issues.
This is never good in the eyes - it stings big time! It has lemon juice in it. Good for brightening the skin but def not for the eyes!!!
A little goes a long way and I think it works infinitely better. If you use too much of this product it feels really tights and dry on the skin. It also becomes a hassle to wash off if you use too much. I find it most effective after you have washed your skin in the shower after your skin has been slightly dried, this way you don't need to use heaps of product and lessens the burning/tight feeling. The right amount for my skin is about the size of my thumbnail.
This product has lasted a really long time and I use it regularly.
I might repurchase this again if it didn't cost so much upfront and it is also dependent on whether or not I need to use medicated acne creams.

on 9/15/2010 12:44:00 PM

I figured I would try the modern friction for face since I loved the body one.
Similar scent, and application was the same. Go on dry, rub, and then add water.

As soon as I rinsed the product off, I felt as if all the moisture was gone. Skin felt uncomfortably tight and red. I broke out with little red bumps on my cheek. Modern Friction was just too harsh for my face.

So, I won't be using this again. A total waste of money.

on 9/6/2010 8:36:00 PM

I love this stuff! For years I couldn't find a single exfoliation treatment that worked on my super sensitive skin. Every single scrub I used would cause huge red sore patches on my skin. I went into Origins for a birthday mini-facial, and told the girl who worked on my face about my issues with exfoliators, and she put this stuff on my face, saying it might help. There's aloe in it, which soothes the skin, and it is very gentle on my skin. At the end, I have beautiful smooth and glowing skin. Yes, if you get it in your eyes or a cut it stings like holy sin, but that's the citrus in it. Just be very careful. I only use it once a week, because more than that and I'm getting the red sore patches. One tub of this has lasted me almost a year, which makes it worth the money spent on it. This is a great product, so happy!

on 8/20/2010 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Upon first use, I was sure this was like my favorite product EVER. It made my skin feel so refreshed and my skin definitely looked brighter. Then I used it a few more times and my skin broke out (not sure this is what caused it, but it's possible). Overall, I use it occasionally if my skin feels blah, but I'd probably be wary of using this too much, like as often as an exfoliater. It does feel kind of scratchy if you apply it as it says (on dry skin). Does not bother me, but it might bother some, if so just wet your skin first and then it's basically an exfoliater. Not SURE if I'd repurchase, Probably not since it's not cheap or amazing. But decent.

on 8/17/2010 8:55:00 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. It delivers, I know that, because my skin feels smoother after use and blemishes are swiftly deal with. But I just find it SUCH a hassle to apply. I like to do my face scrubbing in the shower, and this means I have to wash my face, dry it, dry my hands, massage this onto my skin (dry clay consistency), splash in some water, scrub some more (at wet rice consistency), then wash off. And if it gets into your eyes? JESUS. The pain is intense! What's in it to make it hurt that much?

Origins tend to put a 50ml Modern Friction in almost every value pack/gift set that they do, so I have 5 or 6 of these boys lurking around. It definitely does the job for my skin, but Never a Dull Moment is a lot easier and more pleasant to apply - straight after face wash, scrub it on, lovely smell, wash it off. Done!

I wouldn't repurchase because a) I have so many minis and b) I think there are other scrubs out there that deliver in terms of tackling blackheads/smoothing skin, that are less expensive, easier to use and don't make me feel like my eyes are being poked out if they get into my eyes.

on 8/13/2010 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

burned my skin! made my skin feel very sensitive and I do not like! no thank you.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Horrible scrub! I think it's way to harsh for my sensitive, dry skin. I actually tried this on my body which ended up being a better alternative for this expensive scrub. I normally love scrubs but this is just too harsh for the face. I ended up having acne and itching around my jawline. I would never repurchase!

If you have dry skin, try Laura Mercier's face polish or make your own scrub. I sometimes do in the winter time and it works wonders and is dirt cheap!

All you need is:

Sugar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Honey

Mix it all together and you have a body/face scrub, gentle and non-comedeogenic.