August 23, 2014 | 1074 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Burt's Bees - Shea Butter Hand Repair Creme [DISCONTINUED]

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2006 7:43:00 PM More reviews by LizM9

I believe the world can be divided into people who can hang with BB's "scent theatre" and those who would rather not. If you like an unusual, herbal scent, this is the handcream. SO softening and silky, absorbs quickly, and can really be used anywhere (feet, chest, etc). But again, the scent is not for everyone. Try a little on in the store and see how it reacts with your personal chemistry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2006 10:37:00 AM More reviews by kak513

I'm not 100% sure I'll repurchase this, but I'm enjoying the benefits while I have a tube. The scent is what prevents this from being HG. The odor reminds me of wet clay and that cloying smell when rain hits asphalt when it hasn't rained in long time--overwhelmingly pungent. However, overlooking this, the texture is light and waxy-creamy, and leaves a nice barrier on my hands, which tend to be very dry, unlike the rest of my body. I find it soaks in very quickly, which was a concern for me, but I can even use it during the daytime and stick with the Hand Salve at night. I'm considering adding a drop of essential oil to my hands each time I use it to combat the stench.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2006 4:32:00 AM More reviews by satinsheets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This smells really pungent and nasty. Like incense or a musty closet filled with clothes from the 60s (that haven't been washed in decades). It also is quite greasy like I wouldn't recommend trying to open a door knob with this loiton on, or it'll be a mess. But it does moisturize fairly well but there are better producs out there for your hands there has to be!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2006 12:13:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Burt's Bees have always been either hit or miss with me, and I am pleased to report that this one is a hit. I am using a tiny sample tube, but I am very pleased. It has a thick texture, reminicent of butter, but once rubbed in for several seconds, it disappears without a greasy feel. As for the herbal smell: yes, it is strong at first, but dissipates within a few minutes. I can see how some might not like it, it is different. Being a fan of herbal essential oils like lavender, rosemary, and tea tree, this scent does not bother me.
Bottom line: If I was not so in love with my unrefined shea butter, I would buy a tube of this. I may very well do so still.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2006 3:21:00 PM More reviews by coopercat3104

I got this with my Burt's Bees Healthy Hands, Hand Repair Kit and I love it!! I use it after I wash my hands during the day and it keeps them from drying out the way they used too! Also the smell doesn't really bother me. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2006 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Cara_M

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think I may be addicted to this hand cream...I got it in a sample pack, and am loving it! Very thick, and the smell is strong (and not that nice) but it's a price worth paying for the velvety softness it gives my hands. I apply this a few times a day at work, and it is truly great! My boss loves it too!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2006 2:40:00 PM More reviews by LMfanatic

Okay, if you can stand the smell then this is a good product for you. Unfortunately for me, I'm ultra-sensitive to certain scents and this is one of them - it gave me the WORSE headaches after I put this lotion on, I had to throw it away. Good product otherwise though - my hands were extremely smooth after using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2006 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Loisl

Here's another review on how to use a Burt's Bees product "off label." I got this in a sample kit and initially just threw it into my box of lotion samples until I needed a new one for my purse. Later, I noticed that the little booklet said it was good for stretch marks (well, actually it was the decolletage cream, but I know from MUA that the hand cream is basically the same thing). Notice this use is not suggested on the package anywhere; I'm a compulsive reader. I have a real mess on my lower belly from 2 pregnancies close together followed by weight gain and loss. It's crepy, and there are some nasty stretch marks down there that have been through a lot. I really thought only surgery would help it, but since they're from pregnancy (mostly) I didn't think about it much. Well, after one night's use, I was just shocked! The redness was gone and the crepiness was visibly reduced. I got a full-sized tube and started using it on my thighs, where I have a sort wavy cellulite thing on the front even though my legs are pretty muscular. I put it on one leg 2 nights, and there was a visible difference in a lump on my inner thigh and another above my knee (in comparison to the other leg). I just thought I needed to lose weight and eventually it would disappear, but it may have been saggy skin. Now I'm slathering that stuff on my belly, thighs, hips, and butt, and starting on my upper arms next. I'm just shocked!! I don't even want to tell anyone my secret, but I owe it to all the people here who have helped me improve my appearance with all of these great suggestions. I see some difference when I first get up after putting in on at bedtime, but it really shows for some reason after my shower. Incidentally, I don't recommend this as a hand moisturizer because of the slightly tacky feeling residue that stays on the skin, but who cares? For the record, I think it's helping tighten skin that's saggy from weight flucuation; I don't think it's actually making me lose weight. I am currently exercising and watching my food intake. That's really what I thought all "skin firming" creams do, at best, but this has been quick and obvious on me. The tube does get a little hard to squeeze when you already have product on your hands, but as I said, I'm using "off label."

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2006 12:24:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I notice most of the negative reviews rag on the scent of this product. I actually like it - it's not overpowering at all. Very similar in scent to Arbonne's hand cream (herbal/rosemary...the type of fragrance you'd find in AVEDA products, for example). I love that the product's consistency is nice and thick - like buttercream. And it contains enough slip to spread around, but settles into the skin like a paraffin treatment. Silky and smooth. A bit difficult to squeeze out the tube...feels like it's vacuum packed in there. And sometimes a little bit of oil squelches out before the cream. I'm not bothered in the least. I love the way this makes my skin look so much fresher - I deal with mounds of paperwork on a daily basis and this saves me from having chapped hands at the end of a long day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2006 11:54:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

If I could just get past the smell of this I'd probably use it more but the combination of povidone iodine, plastic bandages and old lavender smells makes my stomach flip every time I apply! The tube also leaves something to be desired--I have a devil of a time squeezing this thick paste out of the tube, and my tube (after 3 uses) looks like I drove over it with a car. I do believe there are better hand creams out there somewhere and for about the same price. I only tried this cream cause P. Begoun said it was a good choice for dry hands but she obviously can't smell things!